size of .pst file #2

I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this
group, but to no avail....

Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file.
However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split
the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2
additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that,
following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox
structure to the two personal folders.
To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut
down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which brought it down to
approx 500MB (from 800MB). Given that, AFAIK, it only holds my address
book, calendar and about 20 emails in the inbox, I don't  understand
why it is still so large?

could someone shed some light on this?

thank you kindly.

0
kaczor47 (2)

Try viewing Folder List in the left pane, selecting your parent folder
(typically "Personal Folder") from the Folder List, select Properties, then
click on the Folder Size button.  This will show you the breakdown of all
subfolders and their respective sizes.  With that, you'll at least know
which folder(s) are the culprits that are still taking up space.

"kaczor47" <kaczor47@gmail.com> wrote in message
|I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this
| group, but to no avail....
|
| Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file.
| However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split
| the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2
| additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that,
| following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox
| structure to the two personal folders.
| To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut
| down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which brought it down to
| approx 500MB (from 800MB). Given that, AFAIK, it only holds my address
| book, calendar and about 20 emails in the inbox, I don't  understand
| why it is still so large?
|
| could someone shed some light on this?
|
| thank you kindly.

0
PaulSpo (1)
10/13/2006 1:29:48 PM
Problem solved. I have 8 years worth of Sent Items still in the main
..pst file.
My bad!

thanks for the help

PaulSpo wrote:
> Try viewing Folder List in the left pane, selecting your parent folder
> (typically "Personal Folder") from the Folder List, select Properties, then
> click on the Folder Size button.  This will show you the breakdown of all
> subfolders and their respective sizes.  With that, you'll at least know
> which folder(s) are the culprits that are still taking up space.
>
> "kaczor47" <kaczor47@gmail.com> wrote in message
> |I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this
> | group, but to no avail....
> |
> | Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file.
> | However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split
> | the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2
> | additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that,
> | following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox
> | structure to the two personal folders.
> | To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut
> | down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which brought it down to
> | approx 500MB (from 800MB). Given that, AFAIK, it only holds my address
> | book, calendar and about 20 emails in the inbox, I don't  understand
> | why it is still so large?
> |
> | could someone shed some light on this?
> |
> | thank you kindly.

0
kaczor47 (2)
10/13/2006 2:19:57 PM
Hi kaczor47,

don�t forget to compress your PST files after you deleted the items.
http://ask-leo.com/what_can_i_do_about_outlooks_huge_pst.html

--
Oliver Vukovics
Share Outlook without Exchange: Public ShareFolder

"kaczor47" <kaczor47@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this
> group, but to no avail....
>
> Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file.
> However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split
> the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2
> additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that,
> following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox
> structure to the two personal folders.
> To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut
> down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which brought it down to
> approx 500MB (from 800MB). Given that, AFAIK, it only holds my address
> book, calendar and about 20 emails in the inbox, I don't  understand
> why it is still so large?
>
> could someone shed some light on this?
>
> thank you kindly.

0
trash9558 (70)

Drop down box with country list #2
Thanks Bob, however what I want is a dropdown which we can find in the web site applications (e.g. airways ticketing) where we can use choose a country using the drop down with a complete list of world's countries. In Data Validation method, I have to re-type all the possible country's names. John. Bob Phillips Wrote: > Enter the countries in a range (say column M) and then add a Data > Validation > (DataValidation) and select the List option with a formula of say > =M1:M100 > or however many countries > > -- > HTH > > Bob Phillips > > "jo...

Mission Impossible
I've been given the project of comparing a current Excel Spreadsheet against a historical Spreadsheet. They both have the same Employee ID.( Or new ones added on the Current File ) My task is ( should I chose to accept - Mission Impossible ) Is to determine the following: * How many new records are added on the Current File * Identify any changes that occur on the either file This could possibly involves creating something called a - Changed File. I've used a program called ExelDiff, but it failed miserably , when the inform...

Page Size Sheet Size Not The Same
Hi - I'm having trouble with printing in Publisher 2007. I have a 5.5x8.5 page size and I want to print that size paper. I've tried to set the sheet to custom size in the printer setup, but Publisher still want a 5.5x8.5 Publisher size printing on a full 8.5x11 sheet. I don't get it. I never had this problem with the Publisher 2003 or anyother MS product including the other Office 2007 programs. Can anyone help clue me in? Even if I create a document as 5.5x8.5 size it will publish a 8.5x11 .pdf file. Please Help! Jerry The new Publisher page setup is not user friendly. ...

Screen Size
Dear All, I don't know if anyone can help but when I compose a message, the view of the message is huge! The font looks as though it's size 20 and it's driving me absoultely mad...... However, the emails in my sent / deleted files are normal size. Does anyone know why the view is so huge on my composing view and how I can get it back to normal? I've tried everything to no avail..... Many thanks! Sarah Grange, you wrote on Tue, 7 Oct 2008 02:05:00 -0700: > I don't know if anyone can help but when I compose a message, the view of > the message is huge! ...

Can not import *.PST filre into OE V6
Every time I click OUTLOOK to import I get "Cannot import messages to MAPI client". I can however clcik on other email application like Netscape, OE V4&6 and it will let me continue. Thanks!! The .pst file format is specific to Outlook, not Express. Open it in Outlook first and then import into Outlook Express. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archives, Jarama <james.rama@nokia.com> asked | Every time I click OUTLOOK to import I get | "Cannot import messages to MAPI client"...

File level backup of transaction logs
I run a full backup of server drives before doing an Exchange online backup. The transaction log directory is selected but none of the logs are backed up. It appears that there is no attempt to back up the files. I do not use an open file agent but I would have thought that all but the most recent logs would not be in use anyway. This isn't causing any problems as the online backup commits and flushes successfully but was just wondering why this is happening?? On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:41:02 -0800, "Pete Kelly" <PeteKelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I run a f...

Importing Text File #3
Did ya ever have one of those lucky accidents that you like and would like to replicate? I created a simple excel workbook based on imported text data. Later, when I reopended the file, I noticed that the "refresh" button was activated and would auto import when I clicked. The best part is that the import specs were retained. I have no idea how I did this and have not been able to replicate the functionality. Can someone help? Thanks Bean, It sounds as if you used Data - Get external data. It remembers all the paramaters you specify, and you have only to do a refresh, ...

Cen an Excel file be set up to no longer open after a certain date????
Any help would be very much appreciated. Is there a way to set up an excel file to not open after a certain date or after a certain amount of time? Thank you in advance!! Lou Blah wrote: > Any help would be very much appreciated. > > Is there a way to set up an excel file to not open after a certain > date or after a certain amount of time? > > Thank you in advance!! > > Lou This could be done with a VBA Macro but you would have to take security measures to keep the user from tampering with the code. Maybe even incoporate code that deletes all of the data includ...

Why is pointer and keyboard control is lost in certain Excel file.
When using certain Excel files, keyboard control and mounse pointer control is lost. Excel must be terminated using the Task manager in order to regain control of mouse and keyboard. Please help! ...

RMS Integration with Ecommerce #2
Hi, I am new to RMS. Basically i have developed an j2ee based ecommerce site. I need to integrate the ecommerce site with RMS(customer management, Inventory management and Order Processing), can anyone please help me how do i achieve this. Is there any SDK or Open source api which i can use? Thanks, Joe Hello Joe, Yes there is a document to integrate RMS with website and if you know website programming / xml you can possibly do it. There are also add-on software available for website integration that can make the website integration easy. Email me if you need more details. Best regar...

Importing PST File into Outlook.
Hi everyone. I copied a .PST onto a CD for B/U and then saved it back onto my HD. When I use either the IMPORT command or OPEN it says that it is not a .PST file. When I import it and browse it tuns into a .INK folder and won't open it. If I click on the file on my HD to open it it states that it is a .PST folder. Am I doing something wrong? I reformatted my HD and this is my only link to all my info in Outlook. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Did you remove the read-only check mark from its properties page? Do not try to import the file as you will lose some inform...

Importing bank's QIF file
Our bank (Webster) just rolled out their online banking system for former FirstFed bank customers. They finally got their Microsoft Money export routine to actually generate a file to download. However, when I imported the QIF file into Money, both deposits AND withdrawals showed up as deposits. How can the bank fix this problem? By buying a clue? Seriously, QIF is reasonably well documented and lots of people can generate it successfully. It sounds to me like they did a hack job and didn't even test it. This is apparently all too typical and is one of the reasons I Just Say No to m...

Event ID 3018 #2
Can someone tell me how to get rid of this event ID which keeps coming up on my Exchange 2003 Ent. pre-SP1 server. We have all Logging turned OFF on this box. Also if I go into ESM - server properties - diagnostics logging - MSExchangeTransport - NDR - is set to NONE as well. I know this is from SPAM/Junk mail but I don't want it to keep showing up. Thanks in advance. ...

Slow CRM vs. stage.js file
Hey, as many others i have a slow system, now i maybe have found the solution, i have seen this descriped: In IIS, browse to the file '<crm virtual dir>/_common/scripts/Stage.js', show properties, goto 'HTTP Headers'. Check the 'Enable content expiration' checkbox, and select the 'Expire immediately' option (now this file (5kb) will be retrieved for each request, instead of caching it locally) The thing is, when i browse to the directory, and rightclick "stage.js" choose properties, then i cant see any "http header" ? Is it because ...

How to create stand alone file dialog #3
How can I create a stand alone file dialog application? for example, when i click a .exe file, just pop up a file dialog box. Thanks! Dade On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:46:15 GMT, Dade Huang wrote: >How can I create a stand alone file dialog application? >for example, when i click a .exe file, just pop up a file dialog box. #include "stdafx.h" #include "commdlg.h" int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { OPENFILENAME ofn = {0}; ch...

Converting files for Excel
How do I convert *.wdb and *.mdb files and bring into excel? I have files from other people that made lists in access. In Excel there is no listing for these files. Any help? Open the access file and highlight the table you want to export t excel. go to File/Export In the Save type as: box click on the drop down and pick microsof excel In the save in: box click on the drop down and pick what excel file th table will be imported to and highlight. Click Save Hope this helps you. Larr -- keithl81 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- keithl816's ...

I just got a new system with Money 2003 preloaded and when attempting to open my backup file(on a floppy) from an earlier version of money all I get is a message that asks if I want to back up to floppy. If I click on "dont back up" all I get is the message "money is not properly installed. Please try set up again" Any idea what I might be doing wrong/not doing??? Help thanks Is it possible that you can reload Money from any disks supplied to you with the system? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-...

Access to archive.pst file denied
My Outlook 2000 now says it is "Unable to display folder", with the message "File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\My Documents\archive.pst". I was able to access this file until the message occurred. The file size is about 65 Meg. Is there some way to turn on permission for this file? Any help would be most appreciated. Dave ...

Integration Manager
I am trying to create an integration from an Excel file. I was able to use the ODBC options that will use the Excel file. I saw in another thread where I have to name the range? So I named the whole worksheet as a range but the Query BUulder says too many fields. So I named the range of data, and now nothing shows up to select in the query builder. I cannot find any help with this in the manuals. thanks Here are the steps I follow: 1.. Create the Excel file. Highlight the columns on the worksheet and give them a name in the Name Box (the box right above cell A1). This name will be ...

Error
Any help appreciated I suspect this has something to do with either permissions and/or excel setting but ... HTML (or CSV) file is saved to network share Attempt to open this file using Excel ( 2000 or XP ) and get information (i) error message "The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding." If file is saved to local drive, there is no problem opening this file from within Excel How can we open this file direct from Excel? ...

Mailbox size
Hi, for some time i noticde that my live mail doesn't receive new messages unless i delete some old messages. i would leik to know if ther eis a maximum mailbox size in Live Mail. thank you. The mail box capacity is controlled by your isp. Check your account in the web interface to ensure you have not maxed out = your isp limit for your account If your account in WLM and a prior email client is/was configured to = never delete from the server, you may have over an extended=20 period of time reached your limit -- ....winston ms-mvp mail "Mirogzy" wrote...

Book #2
Can someone suggest me a good book on VC++ (not .NET) which covers MFC area? I am good at VB/VB.NET and OK with C++. But pretty much new to VC++. I appreciate any advice. Swarna wrote: > Can someone suggest me a good book on VC++ (not .NET) which covers MFC area? > I am good at VB/VB.NET and OK with C++. But pretty much new to VC++. > I appreciate any advice. "Programming Windows With MFC" by Jeff Prosise -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] A link to the Books http://www.maththinking.com/boat/booksIndex.html Jibesh.V.P. "Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <scottmc...

Microsoft License Agreement #2
Received a computer with Windows Vista. It also had the Microsoft Office Suite 2003 - Word, Excel and Outlook. First time I opened up each of these programs, the License Agreement form came up and I clicked on "I agree". Everything looked OK. I notice that each time I open one of these programs, the License Agreement Form comes up, and I need to click "I agree". Is there something that can be done to prevent this Form from opening up each time the program is opened? "Spike" <lester123_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:FvmdndjSj6fgoVnan...

speed up mailbox size increases
we have an AD structure with a NLB EXCH 2003 FE and a clustered 2003 BE. We have a developed application that manages mailboxes, assigns the mailbox quota, and manages the email addresses. If a user asks for a larger mailbox quota, we change it within the application, and the application immediately changes it in AD. Unfortunately it seems like quite a lengthy process between when AD knows about the change and the Exchange server starts to act on the new quota amount. Is there a way I can tweak either AD or Exchange so that the changes occur on a more regular basis. Typically it tak...

changing file types
how can i change my omnipage image document to a txt file? It is a text document already, just not in the format I need it to be in. Have you tried Scansoft's website? I don't know if they have any support groups tho. This groups is for help with MS Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "cdjenson" <cdjenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60CFA235-D3F6-4E96-A809-3AE9F54537A0@microsoft.com... > how can i change my omnipage image document to a txt file? It is a text > document already, just not in the format I need it to be i...