Sharing vs. Delegate Access

Can anyone tell me the difference between Sharing (email, calendars,folders)
vs. Delegate and delegate access? I can't find anything comparing the two!!
Help!

0
SharonE (4)

Sharing is just that - you share your folders with others. Delegates have
'send on behalf of' permission and can accept meetings on your behalf.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"sharone" <sharone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me the difference between Sharing (email,
> calendars,folders)
> vs. Delegate and delegate access? I can't find anything comparing the
> two!!
> Help!

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/3/2008 11:04:31 PM
Delegation

If you're so busy that you don't have time to mind your own busyness,
then you're ready to delegate the responsibility of managing your
calendar to someone else. A delegate manages someone else's
schedule, meetings, and appointments, freely and visibly.

Just as you might have an assistant who helps you manage your
incoming paper mail, Microsoft Outlook provides similar
functionality by making it possible for you to give another person
access to your Inbox and any other Outlook folder you want. The
process of granting someone permission to open your folders,
read and create items, and respond to requests for you is
called “delegate” access.

As the person granting permission, you determine the level of access
the delegate has. You can give a delegate permission to read items in
your folders, or to read, create, modify, and delete items. You can
give a delegate permission to send mail and to respond to mail on
your behalf. The delegate can also organize meetings on your behalf
and respond to meeting requests and task requests sent to you.
By default, if you grant someone access to your folders, that delegate
has access to the items in the folders, except items marked private.
You must grant additional permissions to allow access to private items.

NOTE: The Delegates tab in Outlook’s Options menu is meant to be
used ONLY for delegation.

If a client wants to give others permission to see their Calendar
or "Share" their calendar, they should go to the Properties dialog box
and change the options on the Permissions tab. Usually "REVIEWER"
permissions are plenty enough for anyone to see your calendar.

Nikki

Sharing is just that - you share your folders with others. Delegates have
'send on behalf of' permission and can accept meetings on your behalf.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"sharone" <sharone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me the difference between Sharing (email,
> calendars,folders)
> vs. Delegate and delegate access? I can't find anything comparing the
> two!!
> Help!

accessing another users mailbox from administrator account.
How can access someonle else mailbox from Administrators account throug OWA. i have no problem to accesss this from out look. thanks in advance. When going to OWA specify the mailbox you want to get into in the URL, for instance http://<servername>/exchange/<mailbox alias>. Then put your admin account and password in the logon screen. -Peter "thushya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9e8201c486e5$97ed4a80$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How can access someonle else mailbox from Administrators > account throug OWA. > i have no problem t...

Shared folders on a shared exchange 2003
I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the actual company. /C COZ <kofo@spamspamspam.org> wrote: >I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. >But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? >The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the >actual company. Make sure the "client permissions" you assign to the folder doesn't include the &...

Accessing Document class from CPropertySheet
How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? William, > How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? Pass document's pointer in your property sheet class's constructor. -- Regards, Kobi Ben Tzvi "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ufVxpphgDHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? > > ...

Accessing web mail...
Hello world. Hello all, I'm experiencing a problem accessing OWA as of last week, when the web page opens, the users inputs there credentials and press Enter error appears and it returns to the logins pages. ERROR: 'You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Make sure your domain\user name and password are correct, and then try again. ' this recently started, allow anonymous login set on this page. I'm not sure what is being over looked, Can anyone help? I have never had to do this, but it might help you. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Fixing-Damaged-Incorre...

Can I link Word files to an Access table?
We're going to use Access for reporting purposes, and one of the things we need to do as part of that reporting is to maintain management approvals (always in a Notes or Word file). Is it possible to add Notes or Word attachments into an Access table record (with the understanding that each record will have to have several of these approvals)? If not, is there a way to link files to a particular record?Many thanks for whatever advice you can offer....

Sharing Calendar, can you share contacts too?
We have an administrative secretary, who maintains 3 high level administrator's calendars... we use outlook 2003 with exchange 2003, she opens their shared calendars and edits them... Maybe I'm overlooking a really simple answer... but is there a way she could similarly edit their personal address books (they all use palm pilots and want their own individual contact lists).... Any ideas appreciated... Thanks! Sure, just need to delegate rights to those folders and she can "Open Other user's Folder" and choose Contacts. "Ken Montgomery" <KenMontg...

Shared Workbook Query
Hi, I have set up a shared workbook for 20+ users. I am aware that share workbooks in Excel (I have version 2002) have limited functionality an that you cannot for example merge cells. However, if there are merged cells in another worksheet and someon wants to copy across text (which includes merged cells) into the share workbook it removes the merged formatting. At present I have to take the share off the workbook and then cop across the data (which includes merged cells) then reshare the workboo so that the formatting is maintained. Is there any other way around this problem so that peo...

Linked files XP vs. Win98
We're running Excel 2000 across a Novell network and are seeing some strange behavior occuring with linked files. We can open a linked file held on the network in Win98 and the links (to another file on the network) update in <1 sec. But, if we open the exact same file in XP, it will take almost a full minute to update. With some of our files that have much more extensive links the difference just gets worse. If both the source file and the linked file are loaded locally the update times are very comparable (<1 sec.). Does anyone have an idea why this would be happening? Our s...

Sharing Outlook between profiles?
I am running a 2k server (no exchange server) and need the laptops that connect into the domain to be able to view and send emails when connected, and when disconnected. The laptops have just been reloaded after using Novell. The advantage of the novell client was that it used the same local profile for connecting into the domain, and when using the workstation only. With the 2k server however, it uses one profile for the domain, and one for the local workstation. This is where Outlook 2000 is falling over... Please help... ...

Access Reports Disappear
I had a database that I had used for years with no problem. Lately I've noticed that some of the reports are disappearing. Yet, if I try to create a new report with the same name, Access says "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library." So, I created a new database. The only thing I imported was the tables from the old database. Yet, I'm having the same problem. Has anyone seen this before? Make sure you have SHOW HIDDEN OBJECTS set to YES. Then take a look around for those "missing" reports... "JG" wrote: > I had a da...

Cannot share calendar
Hi I'm trying to setup a user so that she can view someone else's calendar. I have been able to give her access to other peoples calendars, however i can't give her access to one particular user. even though other people can access that particular users calendar. I have given her all the relevent permissions needed to do so in exchange 2000 and at the target machine, but still an error msg of "you do not have sufficiant permisions to view this item" is given. Don't know what else to do....HELP Thank you Don't grant permissions in the Exchange server its...

Resource sharing error
MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're deleted in BOTH projects. What...

calender sharing
I recently upgraded to XP op sys and alongwith it to MS Office 2003. In MS Office 2000, I used to share my private Outlook folders (Calendar, Contacts etc.) with my assistant . With this upgrade to MS Office, I lost the sharing ability. If I right click on any of these components (Calendar, Contacts etc.) the "Sharing" feature is shaded (disabled). How do I share these private folders? If you are talking about NetFolders then this feature was dropped after Outlook 2000 check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm for some options "KAH" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Connecting to a shared SSRS data source from BIDS
I'm just starting out using BIDS and creating reports in general. I've been using Report Builder and have no trouble accessing a shared SSRS data source by specifying the Report Server (http://<Server>/ReportServer) in the Options...Settings, from there I can view and use any predefined data source in a report. How do I specify in BIDS that I wish to use a preconfigured shared data source from SSRS, I can't see any obvious option. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks David David, Hopefully when you connect your report to a shared datasource in design t...

Converting dBase III Plus *.prg file to Access query
Where can I find tips for converting an old dBase III Plus *.prg file into a query. I'm looking for info on translating dBase statements into Access query statements. I'll then paste translated staements into SQL view and be done. Thanks in advance for any help. Wayne Hi Wayne, You'd be better off rewriting prg programs in Access (i.e. escpecially those developed in dBaseIIIPlus). The whole programming philosophy is very different in dBaseIIIPlus: - dBaseIIIPlus is more record-by-record processing as opposed to a set oriented processing in Access. - the user interface is...

Sharing the Entourage calendar
Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there a way to automate it so that it saves and uploads to my website? On 7/6/04 11:03 pm, in article fc11fd4e.0406071403.192a07bf@posting.google.com, "Michel" <michel@neray.com> wrote: > Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my > assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web > function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there...

RemoteApp is the solution to share .pst files
RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst files over in local network or the internet! At last, no need for Exchange. ss. Alas, still not supported for .psts on a network share. Use at your own = risk. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message = news:%23sexHtIuIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst fi...

shared workbook
I have a shared workbook. Once in a while, I cannot uncheck the allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This option in the shared workbook under the tools menu is grayed out. Other times this option is available. Can someone please tell me why this option becomes unavailable. ...

Data Access Page 12-03-09
First, I have built an Access Page from a form. Both the form and the underlying query are updateable. I have set the recordset to Dynaset (inconsistent updates) in the underlying query. I have set the unique table on the DAP and it has a primary key and allow editions is set to yes. I only need data entry in one field. the DAP will not allow data entry. What can I do to solve? ...

Nitrosell (weblinx) vs. Storefront.net
Users please comment on your pro and con experiences with these systems. I have all the marketing materials from the manufactirers and partners. We have narrowed down our search to these 2. I am leary of the recurring costs of Nitrosell. I am also afraid of the coordination between 3 separate software packages that must work together to link RMS to Storefront (using Newest's program). Actual experiences would be most helpful! I need eBay payment ability through the webstore and affiliate support also. If a stand-alone program works with the web store, that would be OK too but I wou...

Access to PDF
It seems this has been asked before, but here goes: Can I populate fields in an existing Adobe (pdf) file from records in an Access db, either natively or via third party add-in? I'm using Access 2002, but am considering upping to 2007. tia. -- steve. Maybe but how to append things to an existing PDF would probably be better asked in an adobe group. Search Adobe in the newsgroups. -- Pete D. "molsonexpert" <imdrunk@work.ca> wrote in message news:%23CXhlaa6HHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > It seems this has been asked before, but here goes: > > Can ...

Share your Sharing Wisdom
I hope someone can help me out here. In my Outlook I have tons of subordinate folders within Outlook Today and my Inbox. I literally have 104 to be exact. My question is how can I share all of these to another user so they can access EVERYTHING? I know how to give them permission and add my account to their Outlook view but how can I apply permissions to all of the folders instead of doing them one by one? Please help me if you can. I'm scared of the possibility of a daunting task the looms in my forecast. I sincerely appreciate any and all effort one provides in resolving...

hide/close/delete shared account
(bear with me. i'm new and although this is my second time trying to set up money, i've run into the same problem and have yet to find the answer in the forum.) i have four bank accounts and one is shared with a family member. i don't want this account to show up at all in money essentials. i tried "closing" it. i tried "hiding" it. i tried "deleting" it. but each time i go back to "categorize my transactions," transactions from that account are still there. The problem here is that Money is designed (and Money Essentials (MEss) even ...

Custom Views Not Accessible
HI: I have been developing a spread sheet, defined two Custom Views that worked in earlier versions. Now it is greyed out and I can not delete view the custom views. The same thing is true on each sheet of the workbook. I am the single user of the sheet. What types of things can cause this? (I have Lists, Validation Lists, Filters, etc. in the workshests). Thanks for your -- Jerry B ...

Macro error when file is shared
I have a macro that works fine when the file is not shared, but when it is shared I get "Run-time error '1004': AdvancedFilter method of Range class failed". Can you not run macros in a shared file ? My macro is show below: Sub processdrg() ' ' processdrg Macro ' Macro recorded 8/24/2005 by EDreshfield ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+d ' Range("drgcode").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=Range( _ "drg"), Unique:=True Application.Goto Reference:="drgextract" Range("drgextract"...