Shariing Outlook 2003 files across a home network

I'm considering getting a laptop to go along with my desktop, and connecting
them via a home wireless network.  I would like to be able to download email
to either machine, but still be able to read all of the emails from either
machine.

Is it possible to set up Outlook 2003 such that both machines would share
the files (inbox, outbox, address book, etc) on the desktop?

Naturally, the desktop would have to be on for the laptop to access the
email.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

0
Lewis

Lewis Clark wrote:
> I'm considering getting a laptop to go along with my desktop, and
> connecting them via a home wireless network.  I would like to be able
> to download email to either machine, but still be able to read all of
> the emails from either machine.
>
> Is it possible to set up Outlook 2003 such that both machines would
> share the files (inbox, outbox, address book, etc) on the desktop?

Yes, although this isn't supported by MS - and you'd need to make sure only
one machine accesses the PST file(s) at a time. You can point Outlook at the
PST file on the location you wish. Make sure you make backups regularly in
case you run into data corruption.

> Naturally, the desktop would have to be on for the laptop to access
> the email.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance!

See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm and
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm
for other options.

0
lanwench (7567)
10/21/2004 2:01:07 AM
Take a look here, it may help:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Lewis Clark asked:

| I'm considering getting a laptop to go along with my desktop, and
| connecting them via a home wireless network.  I would like to be able
| to download email to either machine, but still be able to read all of
| the emails from either machine.
|
| Is it possible to set up Outlook 2003 such that both machines would
| share the files (inbox, outbox, address book, etc) on the desktop?
|
| Naturally, the desktop would have to be on for the laptop to access
| the email.
|
| Thanks in advance for any assistance!

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
10/21/2004 2:13:48 AM
Lewis Clark <lewis_clark_644 @ yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm considering getting a laptop to go along with my desktop, and
> connecting them via a home wireless network.  I would like to be able
> to download email to either machine, but still be able to read all of
> the emails from either machine.

See my response to "Jim"'s posing of this same question.
--
Brian Tillman
0

Outlook 2000 hanging, taking forever to send

Templates in Outlook 2000??
Hi everyone, For reason that I won't go into, my company still uses Outlook 2000 (and the rest of Office 2000). We have to send very similar e-mails (apart from different recipient and date) to many different people all the time. There would be about eight or ten standard emails involved. Up to now we have been just cutting and pasting from old e-mails into the new ones and making the adjustments as need. Can we in Outlook 2000 set up templates for this and when we need to send, say, "Response 3" to a customer, can we just select that template. Better still can we put ei...

Excel 2003 and Content-Encoding:gzip
Hi, I have been using IE to download an excel file which is served by an servlet with Content-Encoding:gzip and it has been unpacked and served to Excel 2000 just fine. Now with Excel 2003 it seems as IE is passing the link directly to Excel 2003 and it doesn't understand the zipped content. Any ideas/teories on this? Thanks in advance, Nik ...

Connection Filtering Allow IPs and Exchange 2003 SP2
We've recently upgraded our servers to Exchange 2003 SP2 and ever since the connection filtering's allow IP list seems to disregard the fact that we have our entire internal network in the connection filtering allow IP list. Messages still get stamped with SCL levels from other internal non-exchange smtp servers, such as web servers that send messages to employees. We can't use authenticated sessions from these servers as they sometimes have to appear from different users. The interesting thing is that when we send something from our external network, the allow ip list holds true ...

Outlook Hangs #6
Hi I have a clients laptop with Outlook 2000 installed. Windows XP Pro OS. For no apparent reason Outlook has started playing up. It takes an ag to load and when it does altho it appears ok it cannot be used, the minute one tries to say, "reply" to an email (an mail~) or compose new mail, whatever option is chosen the system just hangs with an hourglass display. The only way out is to end the task completely. A system restore seems to work very briefly but then the problem reappears within one or two uses of Outlook. I do not want to have to wipe the whole laptop but in t...

outlook HTTPS connection and outlook MSCRM client
Hello, We have installed on our laptop a MSCRM outlook client. Now many people take this laptop home and check there email from home using there internetconnection. We have configured the outlook client so, that the people can connect to the exchange server through https, for not using vpn. Now when we start up outlook, he gives an error that the crm server could not be contacted (which is ofcourse normal). But afterwards when we close outlook and start it up again, he says that outlook is not closed properly and starts to rebuild the messages. Is there a solution for or? Thanx in adv...

How to access a network file path \\foo\bar.txt from an .aspx and from a custom IHttpHandler?
How to access a network file path \\foo\bar.txt from an .aspx and from a custom IHttpHandler? How to specify which account that aspx application should use when doing file IO from network paths? When I try to open the file from .aspx the file read throws: Logon failure: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. When I try to open the file from a custom IHttpHandler the file read throws: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. \\foo\bar.txt grants read access to the group "Everyone" and everyone but my aspx application are able to read \\foo\bar.txt How to specif...

switch from outlook express to outlook
Comparison of outlook to outlook express (which I have now). How do they compare and how would I switct to Outlook if I decide to? Thanks. Do you need a calendar or task tracker? "Terry Cuyler" <tcuyler@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:034701c36aa1$3ff90870$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Comparison of outlook to outlook express (which I have > now). How do they compare and how would I switct to > Outlook if I decide to? ...

how to set up email address for outlook 2003
Hello. I have just put Microsoft Office 2003 onto my computer but i cant get my email working. The email all opens, i can go in and write an email but when i go to send it says the server cannot be found and also i did not enter an email address or anything like that so how do i get an email address for outlook 2003? Any help or advice on how i should set this up would be really appreciated. Thanks x debbie In OL Tools>Accounts add an email account using the info supplied by your ISP. Then in the same account window test the account. NB your ISP may give info for setting up Outlook ...

outlook sync problem
Hi i'm triying to sync my outlook calendar and mobile telephone, sometimes it works sometimes i get a time out. At the beginning of the sync process outlook displays a windows informing me "a program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in outlook" it also says something else about allowing the connection for a set length of time. Unfortunately the window is only on the screen for a split second. Where can i change the time? thanks The software is XTNDConnect bundled with a Sony Ericson bluetooth mobile. I have been all over the software and can&...

Sending messages in Outlook

Outlook not opening IE8
I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Outlook 2007 and IE8. Recently Outlook has given me an error message when I click on a hyperlink to IE, stating "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I am the administrator; what do I do? -- Larry "Larry H" <LarryH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE68908B-9B34-442E-B1C1-8022078730C9@microsoft.com... > I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Outlook 2007 and IE8. Recently Outlook has > given me an error message when I c...

How do I sync Microsoft Outlook 2003 to my new Motorola Droid?
I would like to sync my calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes from my PC's Microsoft Outlook 2003 to my new Motorola Droid What sync software does it use? Did you read the instructions? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use? ...

outlook express quoting
why automatic quoting sometimes don't work?? i've setted html format and text format This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x microsoft.public.internet.mail.mac for the Macintosh vers...

Outlook #253
Hi can anyone help with the matter of outlook not sending and receiving email but will work on outlook express. I ahve just installed the new version of Office 2003 and it has been proprly authorised and everything. Completely stuck wiht this so any help would be appreciated. Many thanks How did you setup email account on Outlook 2003? Did you use Import email account settings from outlookexpress under outlook 2003 menu > File > import and Export? If you setup manualy make sure youre settings are right. If you use Import wizard, make sure your all security software are disabled,...

Microsoft outlook 2003 keep wanting to install "MS outlook feature"
There is one machine that it keeps prompting me to install "MS outlook 2003 feature" when i started my outlook after each after each computer power shutdown. once it got installed (with full admin rights, they're fine but when you turn the computer off and then restart it back up, it prompts you for the original installer file (the .msi file) this user is running MS office 97 except for outlook which is 2003. ideas/thoughts? ...

Outlook Unable To Open Default E-mail Folders
Hi, I run Windows XP Home Edition. Today, Outlook 2003 hung up on me. had to manually restart my computer. When it came up, and I starte using Outlook, I noticed that the data from the Sent Folders File wa unviewable. I was instructed to run scanpst to help correct the problem. searched for the path to get to Outlook data... C:\Documents and Settings\bobried\local settings\applicatio data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst I opened scanpst, tried to follow the above path, only to find that hit a dead end at local settings. I tried to reopen Outlook, and now it will not open at all. Th...

save excel file from a table delimited file (.txt) using macros
Hi to you all I have files in tab delimited file and I want to save them as excel files. Since I'll have to do this for many files, I want to use a macro I used the record macro function and got a code that works, but the problem is that it always saves the same name - and what I want is to the file to be saved using the same file name as the file is active, something like ActiveWorkbook in line 2? (it doesn't work but it would be something like that...) ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:= _ "Macintosh HD:Myfile.xls" _ FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPass...

to do bar preventing use of outlook 2007
I have recently upgraded to Windows 7, on re-installing Office 2007 I had the oppurtunity to copy over selected items or all of my .pst, I selected all. When I turned on the to do bar I am no longer able to use 2007, I have deleted and the .pst and created a new one to no avail. The to do bar task list seems to be the root cause of the problem but I cannot turn it off. Please help. ...

Help with shariing excel file !
Hi, I have strange problem since a few weeks with an excel file I share. This file is stored on aW2003 SBS. It can only be modified by one person (it has a "modify" password is set). The file is *always* opened from the same station, by the same user ! I set this thru : "Save as", then "Tools", "General option". Now, sometimes, when this famous user opens the file, it gets an error, which tells him that... the file is already opened by ... him ! Of course, it can't modify it since the file is exclusive ! I tried to reboot the station, nothing ! The ...

File Being deleted
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C85289.2962FF10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable My Money file has been deleted twice for no reason. I have the latest = version of Money running on Windows Vista. This seems to have started = just a week ago and has now happened twice. I have no idea where it's = going or how its deleted so I was wondering if anyone else has = experienced this? =20 Luckily Vista keeps several "shadow" copies of the file so its easy to = recover but I...

Populating outlook labels
I need to use Excel Macros to populate Outlook labels. Can anyone help -- exodu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- exodus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1572 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27247 Most Office users create labels in Word using Excel as a database. Don't know if Outlook has a label function. If you know of one, please post a reference from Outlook Help. I'm curious. For more on Word Mailmerge........ http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmer...

outlook 2000 #223
Hope someone can help with this problem. I bought a new puter with XP home and am trying to install Outlook 2000. All my other Office progs work well, but Outlook won't. When I try to import or export it insists on reinstalling the import/export engine each time and it will not allow me in to customise the Outlook today page. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all to no avail. I removed my mail accounts and work offline, closed all other progs and run repair, but still no joy. HELP!!! TIA chris Chris Roebuck <chris_roebuck@bigpond.com> wrote: > Hope someone can help wit...

Lost or moved folders Win 2003 Server w/ XP wrkstations
Hi, Several times per year we have missing folders. Most of the time we do a search & find them somewhere else on the network. If we can't find it we restore from backup. Users need access to these folders so we can't really keep them out. Typically it's a folder under our main "Data" folder. This morning however it was one of our application folders which is located on the same "shared drive" as data. Is there any we can either protect these folders from being moved or deleted while giving users access? If not, is there a way we can ...

enumerating files on web server
I use CFileFind to enumerate files on a local drive. What should I use (in VC++ 6) to enumerate files in a web directory? I have no idea about any "web directory", however, if you meant FTP then have a look at CFtpFileFind class. Victor "SteveR" <maxsrussellatremovethisembarqmail.com> wrote in message news:e8wRSw8$IHA.1228@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I use CFileFind to enumerate files on a local drive. What should I use (in >VC++ 6) to enumerate files in a web directory? > I am referring to publicly accessible files in a subdirectory on my websit...