Setting up Outlook 2003 for the first time

I'm having trouble setting up Outlook for the first time (I've always used
Outlook Espress).   The first popup message I receive is "The connection to
the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or
connected to complete this action."

I click OK, then another popup named "Microsoft Exchange Server" - with a
"General" tab . . . where I have to type Microsoft Exchange Server:   and
Mailbox: (with Check Name) beside it.   I put my "pop.east.cox.net" in the
server box and my email name in Mailbox . . . hit OK, that box disappears and
I get the popup that says, "Unable to open your default e-mail folders.  The
fileC:\Documents and Settings . . . . . . . . . Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file."

I click OK and Outlook closes.    Thus . . . I've not been able to get into
or set up Outlook.

Any help would be most appreciated.

0
BeachBum (5)

On the assumtion you do not have an exchange setup - simply pop mail
With OL closed, in the control panel>Mail Applet set up a new profile, using
pop/smt mail - NOT exchange -
Add a data file, set up accounts & test them
Delete old/previous profile
Open OL

"Beachbum" <Beachbum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble setting up Outlook for the first time (I've always used
> Outlook Espress).   The first popup message I receive is "The connection
> the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or
> connected to complete this action."
>
> I click OK, then another popup named "Microsoft Exchange Server" - with a
> "General" tab . . . where I have to type Microsoft Exchange Server:   and
> Mailbox: (with Check Name) beside it.   I put my "pop.east.cox.net" in the
> server box and my email name in Mailbox . . . hit OK, that box disappears
and
> I get the popup that says, "Unable to open your default e-mail folders.
The
> fileC:\Documents and Settings . . . . . . . . . Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file."
>
> I click OK and Outlook closes.    Thus . . . I've not been able to get
into
> or set up Outlook.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.

0
DL
1/26/2007 6:19:23 PM
Thank you so much!!

"DL" wrote:

> On the assumtion you do not have an exchange setup - simply pop mail
> With OL closed, in the control panel>Mail Applet set up a new profile, using
> pop/smt mail - NOT exchange -
> Add a data file, set up accounts & test them
> Delete old/previous profile
> Open OL
>
> "Beachbum" <Beachbum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having trouble setting up Outlook for the first time (I've always used
> > Outlook Espress).   The first popup message I receive is "The connection
> > the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook must be online or
> > connected to complete this action."
> >
> > I click OK, then another popup named "Microsoft Exchange Server" - with a
> > "General" tab . . . where I have to type Microsoft Exchange Server:   and
> > Mailbox: (with Check Name) beside it.   I put my "pop.east.cox.net" in the
> > server box and my email name in Mailbox . . . hit OK, that box disappears
> and
> > I get the popup that says, "Unable to open your default e-mail folders.
> The
> > fileC:\Documents and Settings . . . . . . . . . Application
> > Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file."
> >
> > I click OK and Outlook closes.    Thus . . . I've not been able to get
> into
> > or set up Outlook.
> >
> > Any help would be most appreciated.

0
BeachBum (5)
1/27/2007 2:16:00 AM
your welcome

> Thank you so much!!
>

> "DL" wrote:
>
> > On the assumtion you do not have an exchange setup - simply pop mail
> > With OL closed, in the control panel>Mail Applet set up a new profile,
using
> > pop/smt mail - NOT exchange -
> > Add a data file, set up accounts & test them
> > Delete old/previous profile
> > Open OL
> >
> > "Beachbum" <Beachbum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm having trouble setting up Outlook for the first time (I've always
used
> > > Outlook Espress).   The first popup message I receive is "The
connection
> > > the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable.  Outlook must be online
or
> > > connected to complete this action."
> > >
> > > I click OK, then another popup named "Microsoft Exchange Server" -
with a
> > > "General" tab . . . where I have to type Microsoft Exchange Server:
and
> > > Mailbox: (with Check Name) beside it.   I put my "pop.east.cox.net" in
the
> > > server box and my email name in Mailbox . . . hit OK, that box
disappears
> > and
> > > I get the popup that says, "Unable to open your default e-mail
folders.
> > The
> > > fileC:\Documents and Settings . . . . . . . . . Application
> > > Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file."
> > >
> > > I click OK and Outlook closes.    Thus . . . I've not been able to get
> > into
> > > or set up Outlook.
> > >
> > > Any help would be most appreciated.

0
DL

CScrollbar events in VS 2003
I've added a scroll bar to a dialog in a new dialog only mfc app. but the only event I can find for it is NM_THEMECHANGED (which throws a compiler error)? Can I add my own WM_SCROLL handlers? Thanks ...

setting up new outlook mail account

mail merge in outlook
Is it possible to add attachments to an email sent using mail merge in Outlook? Not natively. You'd need third party software: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.asp#massmail -- Russ Valentine "Jane" <Jane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08C4BA38-F190-4D7D-93A6-2F3825523465@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to add attachments to an email sent using mail merge in > Outlook? No, that's not possible without a 3rd party add-in or some VBA scripting. For details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/65 -- Robert Sparnaaij ...

Excel 2003 scrolling
When using Excel, I have always been able to use the scroll wheel to navigate vertically in a spreadsheet. With the installation of Excel 2003, scrolling occurs left to right. Any solutions? ...

Inserting time inside cell
I use Office 2003 Excel Win XP Can someone tell me how to insert time: hours, minutes and seconds inside a cell? sn hi, hh:mm:ss or 12:12:12 also see Format>cells>number tab. scroll down left to custom. scroll down right to see other formats. regards FSt1 "Sachi Noma" wrote: > I use Office 2003 Excel Win XP > > Can someone tell me how to insert time: hours, minutes and seconds inside a > cell? > > sn > > Hi Sachi, Not sure if this is what you are looking for but if you hit ctrl+; in a cell it will put the current date in that cell, i...

Outlook HTML signatures, with graphics
Hi I have created a HTML signature, which uses a company logo, as a graphic. I created the HTML file, and copied the actual Signature, directly into Outlook, using the 'Advanced Edit' feature, which allows Word to be used as the editor. All works fine. I can send mails to other users, and my signature is fine. It also appears fine when received at the other side. However, if a user sends me a mail, which I reply to, or forward, my signature is attached. The formatting takes place (ie. the HTML works), and the signature is displayed, however the graphics are not shown. They are inste...

OWA Set Rule problem

How do I import messages in Eudora 7 into Outlook 2007?
I have always used Eudora for my email but now I would like to use Outlook for my business email and keep Eudora for my personal email. I have the addresses set up and am receiving new emails in Outlook, but I would like to move the messages previously downloaded by Eudora into Outlook to keep everything together. How can I accomplish it? See what formats Eudora will export to, that Outlook can import. Maybe csv format Or Export msgs from Eudora to Outlook Express (Assuming not a Vista PC) then in Express Export to Outlook "jmstruwe" <jmstruwe@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Outlook 2003 hangs on exit
When closing Outlook 2003, the icon remains in the systray and the process continues to run. Forced to terminate OUTLOOK.EXE process in order to restart Outlook. Any ideas? Look for 3rd party applications that are holding it open for data use. (Activesync, WinFax, Antivirus) -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "kmeszaros@landam.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081601c3b3ab$ef4e6e20$a101280a@phx.gbl... > When closing Outlook 2003, the icon remains in the > systr...

How to keep a cell empty at the same time formula embedded?
Can we have an empty cell but formula embedded in that cell. A cell cannot be both "empty" and contain something...........you can however, put a formula there that will display a blank cell according to the conditions of it's calculations........... =(IF(A1>5,A1,"")......will display a blank cell if A1 is 5 or less Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "vic_dic" <vic_dic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A590D8A6-7E86-49B7-AA9A-12DE213E670C@microsoft.com... > Can we have an empty cell but formula embedded in that cell. What are you...

Outlook Express like address book window
Is there a way to get a window frame in Outlook with a listing of addresses in one's default address book, much like that in Outlook Express? Thanks for any input Outlook is not Express so probably not. Why do you not use your contacts folder in Outlook? List it in phone list view. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Curtis Vaughan asked: | Is there a way to get a window frame in Outlook with a listing of | add...

How to set backcolour

does office 2003 work on windows 7?
Can I install MS Office 2003 onto my PC running with Windows 7 Operating System or do I have to use Office 2007? "Candice" <Candice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B9E5BB4-FA6D-4761-A8D2-CCB36A2278B0@microsoft.com... > Can I install MS Office 2003 onto my PC running with Windows 7 Operating > System or do I have to use Office 2007? Yes. '03 will run on Windows 7. -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." "Candice" <Candice@discussions.microsoft....

Outlook 2003 Disconnected from Exchange Server 2003, will not reconnect.
Two days ago after setting up a mobile phone to act as a modem for my laptop, testing it, and disabling the dial-up connection associated with it, and reconnecting to my domain and usual network (non-GPRS) I find that I can no longer connect to my Exchange Server. The "Working Offline" icon shows up in the lower-right hand corner of the Outlook Client window, and when I uncheck "Work Offline", I get prompted for a username and password. Normally, I should just be able to cancel out of this window and Outlook works fine again. However, since two days ago, it does not. Th...

i can not see any mails inside archieve folders in outlook?
I transferred my mails and folders from outlook express to outlook 2007 successfully. It was 9.6 gb in total. I have archieved individual folders. However, i can see only structure (tree of folders) and there is nothing inside any folders. What could be the proble. Is there any other way to do archieve. I have downloaded back tool and done back up of outlook.pst. But i want to use archieve feature alsp. Sunil Dhanuka wrote: > I transferred my mails and folders from outlook express to outlook 2007 > successfully. It was 9.6 gb in total. I have archieved individual folders...

outlook folder sychronization
I am having trouble shutting down, outlook starts to sychronize the folders everytime I close. It seems to be looking for a server or something. At comptuer shut down it says outlook.exc is still running, even thou outlook is visably not there but the icon still shows outlook sychronizing. Is there a setting I need to turn off? Help "Steve Outlook" <SteveOutlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F50E01E-C0C0-4CB4-A37C-D891707D9C14@microsoft.com... >I am having trouble shutting down, outlook starts to sychronize the folders > everytime I close. It s...

Outlook Client Auto Update Permissions #2
Can the Outlook Client Auto Update be run by users without administrative permissions? ...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

Cannot delete mail in Outlook Express
I could not an Outlook Express user group so I will post my problem here. All of a sudden I received multiple copies of the same emails. I could delete most of them but some will not delete. Would appreciate your help. Mo "M Weiss" <m2weiss@verizon.net> wrote in message news:EwcPi.15456$Cd7.10143@trnddc03... >I could not an Outlook Express user group This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003/2007 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Express is actually a separate program despite the similar name. For help with your OE questions, try an O...

Reading Pane Settings

Outlook Problem #7
It was suggested that to solve my problem, I need to uninstall and reinstall my TCP/IP stack as it may be corrupt. What exactly do I have to do to uninstall and reinstall. Thanks to all and hopefully someone can tell me. Regards, Pete Coppola New Jersey ...