Setting ANR Include Online GAL per MSKB 831124

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831124&Product=out

What is difficult for me to discern is this:

The environment isn't using an Exchange Server.
So, which of these are available / not available in this situation:

Cached Exchange Mode / Cached Mode
Automatic Name Resolution (ANR)
Global Catalog Server
Offline Address Book
Global Address List

In other words:
How should ANR Include Online GAL be set if there's no Exchange Server?

Thank you,

Fred

0
fmarshallx (39)

1. no
2. not sure but I think yes.
3. no
4. no
5. no

6. you can't

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Fred Marshall
asked:

| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831124&Product=out
|
| What is difficult for me to discern is this:
|
| The environment isn't using an Exchange Server.
| So, which of these are available / not available in this situation:
|
| Cached Exchange Mode / Cached Mode
| Automatic Name Resolution (ANR)
| Global Catalog Server
| Offline Address Book
| Global Address List
|
| In other words:
| How should ANR Include Online GAL be set if there's no Exchange
| Server?
|
| Thank you,
|
| Fred

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
8/19/2004 7:51:38 PM
It doesn't matter because the setting applies only to users accessing
Exchange.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831124&Product=out
>
> What is difficult for me to discern is this:
>
> The environment isn't using an Exchange Server.
> So, which of these are available / not available in this situation:
>
> Cached Exchange Mode / Cached Mode
> Automatic Name Resolution (ANR)
> Global Catalog Server
> Offline Address Book
> Global Address List
>
> In other words:
> How should ANR Include Online GAL be set if there's no Exchange Server?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Fred

0
suemvp (4038)
8/19/2004 8:09:57 PM
OK - thanks.

Then what might cause Outlook 2003 on XP Pro to fail to Receive email on
occasion and sometimes, less frequently, to Send emails?

This is one of many clients that all work fine.  However, this one is
sluggish and sometimes fails to connect for Receiving mail - and, less
often, for Sending.

I'm searching for reasons but finding none.  The user is pretty frustrated.

Thanks,

Fred

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> It doesn't matter because the setting applies only to users accessing
> Exchange.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of
>      Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831124&Product=out

> > What is difficult for me to discern is this:
> >
> > The environment isn't using an Exchange Server.
> > So, which of these are available / not available in this situation:
> >
> > Cached Exchange Mode / Cached Mode
> > Automatic Name Resolution (ANR)
> > Global Catalog Server
> > Offline Address Book
> > Global Address List
> >
> > In other words:
> > How should ANR Include Online GAL be set if there's no Exchange Server?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Fred

0
fmarshallx (39)
8/20/2004 6:12:20 AM
It might be a good idea to turn on logging in Tools | Options | Other |
Advanced Options.

--

> OK - thanks.
>
> Then what might cause Outlook 2003 on XP Pro to fail to Receive email on
> occasion and sometimes, less frequently, to Send emails?
>
> This is one of many clients that all work fine.  However, this one is
> sluggish and sometimes fails to connect for Receiving mail - and, less
> often, for Sending.
>
> I'm searching for reasons but finding none.  The user is pretty
> frustrated.

0
suemvp (4038)
8/20/2004 1:32:11 PM
Sue,

I did it and here is a typical log sequence.  If you notice the numbers
after <rx>, these are the numbers of times this entry happens in sequence.
So, this happened 1256 times.  Unfortunately I can't figure out what the log
is telling me.

I do suspect, from measurements, that the ISP is delaying getting mail by
8-12 seconds each time - and this leads to occasional failures.  1256 could
mean 1256 instances of something happening every 10 milliseconds.

Any further insights would be appreciated.

2004.09.26 17:27:06                   "POP3: <rx> 1253
1096244283.6693_0.mailnw3")
2004.09.26 17:27:06       Callback::LogText[THIS: 00167c18] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2004.09.26 17:27:06                   "POP3: <rx> 1254
1096244294.6885_0.mailnw3")
2004.09.26 17:27:06       Callback::LogText[THIS: 00167c18] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2004.09.26 17:27:06                   "POP3: <rx> 1255
1096244303.7028_0.mailnw3")
2004.09.26 17:27:06       Callback::LogText[THIS: 00167c18] (flags =
LTF_TRACE, hr = 00000000, code = 00000000,
2004.09.26 17:27:06                   "POP3: <rx> 1256
1096244315.7210_0.mailnw3")

> It might be a good idea to turn on logging in Tools | Options | Other |
> Advanced Options.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of
>     Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>     Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>     http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>> OK - thanks.
>>
>> Then what might cause Outlook 2003 on XP Pro to fail to Receive email on
>> occasion and sometimes, less frequently, to Send emails?
>>
>> This is one of many clients that all work fine.  However, this one is
>> sluggish and sometimes fails to connect for Receiving mail - and, less
>> often, for Sending.
>>
>> I'm searching for reasons but finding none.  The user is pretty
>> frustrated.

0
fmarshallx (39)

Hideing Contacts in GAL
I just started working for a Professionl sports team in the MIS dept and have found that on our Exchange Server we have Contacts for every teams players. This is fine but we do not want to see them in our Global address list, how can we go about removing them or hideing them without having to go into the properties of each and hideing. If we hide them will they still be available? Thanks, Brian ...

setting up new outlook mail account

OWA Set Rule problem

Online Ordering Problem
As my trial version of Money Plus Delux has only few days left to run, I decided to order a copy of it from the MS/Digital River download site. For whatever reason, the order form was pre-initialized for 3 copies instead of the one I ordered. I corrected the 3 to 1 before I filled in the credit card info. To my surprise, I was still billed for 3 copies but by that time I could not change or cancel my order. I immediately sent an email to Digital River about this but I wonder if any of you also encountered this seeming scam. JP In microsoft.public.money, JP wrote: >As my trial ve...

How to set backcolour

Set Regional Settings but not Language

Reading Pane Settings

Metrics should include both Open and Closed Year information
For example Total Receivables for Past 12 Months will show nothing for months that have been closed during the GL Year End Close process...This tool doesn't do much good if you can't see the prior year information after the Year End Close process. when I want to see Total Receivables for the Past 12 Months...after the year end close, the Past 12 Months is no longer valid, cause the metric will only show for the months that are in the GL20000 and are in an open year. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the mos...

problem connecting to online services
I am using Micorsoft 2003. I am able to download statements into money from my bank, but I cannot seem to get the set up online services to work through money. I have talked to my bank and they see no problem on their end. Here's what happens: I go to set up the onoine services, I choose the correct bank (bank one), enter correct user name and pw and click next and I get the "Call Progress" screen with the movoing dots and thats it. It never resolves to the next page. I have tried disabling my firewall and antivirus. I have installed all of the latest Money updates....

interactive buttons, multiple sets

How do I set OOR

Set Focus

Publisher 2003 Need to set business card to Avery 5371 setting
I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will print on Avery 5371 business cards Okay.........and your question is? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jonathan" <Jonathan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:187615DD-9EF1-42A2-8436-78E6E6C6ACE4@microsoft.com... >I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will > print on Avery 5371 business cards Page setup, business cards, click change copies per sheet, type > .5 top, .75 side, zero gaps. Avery 5371 is a standard business card s...

Setting the Settings
Really quickly: How (exactly) does one get Publisher to remember the page settings I want. ie. every time I open a new document, I get centimeters, and usually, I'd prefer inches. I have not been able to find a "Save Settings" option anywhere. Can anyone help? thomas In Publisher 2000 it's Tools Options General tab Measurements unit box - select inches. OK That should do it. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in America! "ThomasL" <tlammert@netcom.ca> wrote in message ne...

"Object or class does not support the set of events" Quick Question
All, I built a MS Access database in MS Access 2003, which I have set up in a shared folder. I have a form with some standard components such as text boxs, bottons. When a user updates the form I wish to record the time/date and username in the record. I have posted a copy of the code I'm using for the "BeforeUpdate" event below. Now this works fine on my machine and updates without a problem. However when a user on another machine (also using MS Access 2003) tries to update the same field, he gets the following error: "The expression Before Update you entered as the eve...

Strange permission Settings.
Hey folks I got a strange problem and i think it has somthing to do with permisions server end but it is possible this could also be a client side problem Okay so im on the support desk we have a number of users that access an exchange 2003 server using outlook 2003 some teams share access team maiboxes. When they try to add a custom field to (in tasks or email) on a shared mailbox they recive this error message "You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or the system administrator" But they have full rights to it an...

CRM Online Case Invoicing?
Hi all ... wondering if anyone has seen an add-on or has had success with a customization approach. Senario is that support group needs to tag 'cases' as billable when appropriate. At the end if the month, we'd need to invoice monthly summary. CRMOnline so no code on the server. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated ... thanx! Yes you are correct as this is CRM Online, there can be no code installed on server and to incorporate this you would require to write server side code. If the customer can host the pages locally on their intranet server, it is possible to develop the solut...

How do I set up my microsoft outlook to send emails?
I'm trying to use Microsoft Outlook for a specific email however it's asking for the http servor and I have no idea what it's asking me for. Please help!!! You need to get these settings from your ISP "XMY" <XMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8BBA0B0-A04B-41E6-90C3-3CF64D43EBA3@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to use Microsoft Outlook for a specific email however it's asking > for the http servor and I have no idea what it's asking me for. Please > help!!! XMY <XMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm tr...

Custom settings now working
I am having problems with the custom security settings. I installed the security administrative package and followed Microsoft's documentation. However, I am still getting the Outlook notification whenever I try to use CDO. I am not an Outlook admin so I am having a rough time trying to debug this. What are some things I can look at to try to resolve this issue. I noticed that when I go to Outlook and go the Outlook 10 Security Settings under public folders I see the form under that folder. Is this correct? My set up is Exchange 2000, Outlook 2003. Have you checked to make sure th...