Sending/exporting Outlook Contacts for use in another computer

I want to send the Outlook Contacts address book from my desktop to use in
my laptop.  Can it be as simple as copying the whole address book file and
replacing the laptop Contacts address book with the new one?

Thanks.

Bob

0
rdbr (5)

There is no separate "address book" file.
The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the
mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"rdbr" <rdbr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I want to send the Outlook Contacts address book from my desktop to use in
> my laptop.  Can it be as simple as copying the whole address book file and
> replacing the laptop Contacts address book with the new one?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob

0
russval1 (2101)
5/1/2005 3:09:58 AM
rdbr <rdbr@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I want to send the Outlook Contacts address book from my desktop to
> use in my laptop.  Can it be as simple as copying the whole address
> book file and replacing the laptop Contacts address book with the new
> one?

Create a new PST (File>New>Outlook Data File).  Copy your Contacts folder to
it (right-click Contacts and choose Copy.  SPecify the new PST as the
destination).  When the copy completes, close the new PST
(right-click>Close).  Close Outlook.  Now you have a choice.  You can burn
the PST to a CD, if you re able, put the CD in the laptop, copy the PST to
the hard drive, and remove the read-only attribute.  Or, you can rename the
PST's file type to something else, like ".ps_".  Start Outlook and mail the
altered file to the account the laptop uses for email, receive it on the
laptop, save it to disk, and rename it back to ".pst".

Now that the PST is on the laptop, start Outlook and click File>Open>Outlook
Data File.  Browse to the PST, select it, and click OK.  Now you can open
the Contacts folder it contains, select the first contact, then select them
all with CTRL-A.  Right-click the selection and choose Copy, specifying your
main Contacts folder as the destination.  When the copy completes, close the
extra PST with right-click>Close.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)

outlook express password #3
I want to password protect my outlook express so that you need the password to access new mail. why is it that even though the "enter password box" appears, you can still see the "in box" messages in the screen behind? if you "click" cancel on the enter password, you can still access any inbox mail that appears on the screen. is there a setting so that when you click outlook icon and enter a password to access, no other box appears on the screen? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outl...

Export #2
I have a 2k line excel doc witht he following A1 Item 339393 no longer in stock - Tuesday, September 11, 2007 I need to separate the data into 2 cells a1 b2 Text Data how can i remove the date infomation from the field and put it in a new cell by itself? Hi Select column A>Data>Text to Columns>Delimited>Next>Other> put - in box next to other>Finish -- Regards Roger Govier "Mrbanner" <mrbanner@swiftdsl.com.au> wrote in message news:1193204495.782752.174740@v23g2000prn.googlegroups.com... >I have a 2k line excel ...

No message in outbox

Sending a macro to another PC-how?

exporting from visio
i have drawn up data models in visio. my question is how do i export this data model with its hyperlinks to microsoft frontpage without loosing the hyperlinks? i also need to maintain this data model, so i need to add on in visio and export back to frontpage. any assistance will be appreciated. Try a File \ Save As Web Page It will save the Visio drawing as an HTML page with the hyperlinks. You can then publish the drawing on Frontpage Everytime you update your Visio drawing, save it over the existing HTML page in your webserver and it should be updated then. -- -ronnie [MS] This posti...

Master Category List keeps reverting to default list
I have had the Master Category List revert to the default list several times now. This has happend at least 6 times since I upgraded to Office 2003 a year ago. This is annoying, as I have my own, different, list of categories that I use. I have used the good info that Sue Mosher provides at: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.htm to make a backup of my catagories. Using the registry restore routine certainly makes the fix a bit easier than retyping all of the categories. Still, having to dink with the registry to keep outlook from destrying my data is more than a bit unnerving. Does...

Sending mail from remote location

Outlook 2007
Hi, I am having the following problem with Outlook 2007. Whenever I run outlook the CPU utilization goes up over 99%. I've been using OL 2007 for over 4 months and it was working fine. Tried repairing/recreating the OST and PST files. Tried disabling all Add-ins (LinkedIn, Outlook Connector, etc.) tried running Outlook in Safe Mode. Nothing seems to work. Anyone has any ideas as to what might be wrong?? I havent recently installed or uninstalled anything on my machine. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2, Norton Antivirus, RealSecure Desktop protector. Do you have iTunes/iPod...

Installing CRM SFO (Sales for Outlook)
Hi all, I know this has been answered before but I can´t find it on the newsgroups or in the knowledge base. What is the fix for installing SFO without the local user having Admin rights. I found the KB arcticle (https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?WTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYVTQUUXNNZOUKYPPPQSNNPQVXOKWVPZWKNZPWQPQPROKZKMLMMYLZSMKRLWVZOQWZZYTLUUVMQLVTLOKP) on how to do it buy granting admin rights to each of the users individually, but I remember reading somewhere how to fix this problem. Is there a hotfix or somthing? Ideas? David Try this link http://www.microsoft.com...

Send and Recieve Fix

Outlook 2002 XP no response

Unable to send?

How do I sync Microsoft Outlook 2003 to my new Motorola Droid?
I would like to sync my calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes from my PC's Microsoft Outlook 2003 to my new Motorola Droid What sync software does it use? Did you read the instructions? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use? ...

how to setup a monthly planner using excel?
how to setup a monthly planner using excel? You should be able to find something here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101043131033.aspx -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt "wtk" wrote: > how to setup a monthly planner using excel? ...

outlook express quoting
why automatic quoting sometimes don't work?? i've setted html format and text format This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x microsoft.public.internet.mail.mac for the Macintosh vers...

Exporting Charts as VECTOR Files?
I've recently downloaded Andy Pope's excellent graphics exporter. However, I can only export raster graphics with it - jpg, gif, tif, etc. I need files that will resize cleanly in other applications - something like a wmf or emf. I tried adding them to the graphics exporter, but I must not have the right filters - can anyone help? This would be a huge time saver for me! Thanks, Tammy Hi Tammy, The chart export method doesn't allow for vector graphics. Have a look at Stephen Bullen's PastePicture.zip example http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm Cheers Andy T...

Outlook not opening IE8
I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Outlook 2007 and IE8. Recently Outlook has given me an error message when I click on a hyperlink to IE, stating "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." I am the administrator; what do I do? -- Larry "Larry H" <LarryH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE68908B-9B34-442E-B1C1-8022078730C9@microsoft.com... > I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Outlook 2007 and IE8. Recently Outlook has > given me an error message when I c...

Sending messages in Outlook

No Permission to Send/Receive Email???

Help please using a combo box with a query instead of the usual wildcards etc.....
Hi, I have nearly finished my database and I would like to add a query that uses a combo box to get the results, not the usual paramater style input. I suppose it would need a form and a query and a combo box, but where to start !!!!!!!! Any kind soul out there that can give me an example of where to start..........? Many Thanks Joe Joe The generic approach you'd use is: * create a new form, add a combo box that is set to return the value your query would need * create your query ... in the criterion "cell", put a reference to the form's combo box's value: ...

How do I export an Adobe document to Xcel?
Is there a way to export an Adobe document to Xcel in one or two steps. I can get it to convert by exporting to Word and then from Word to Xcel but am hoping there is an easier way. ...

Can't find my pab file in outlook 2002
I can't find my pab file so I can copy my contacts to another computer. I don't know that Outlook uses a PAB file unless you specified it when you set that version of Outlook up. If you did, do a file search for *.pab. If not, then it should be located in a .pst. Are you using Outlook via POP3 for mail, IMAP, Exchange (usually a business environment? -- K. Orland Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny "Kathy" wrote: > I can't find my pab file so I can copy my cont...