From: Becky
To: Miles Smith
Subject: Your insurance premium is due next month

This is just a friendly reminder that blah blah blah
OR
From: Becky
To: Renewal Customers

This is just a friendly reminder that blah blah blah

I know one way to import the file into an Outlook distribution list, but
what is the best or correct way?  Or, if I just copy the contents on to the
BCC line, what should I enter on the TO: line?  I don't want the message to
look like

From: Becky
Subject:
etc
0
Rebecca (144)

Rebecca <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I'm starting with a .TXT file in Windows but it's external from
> Outlook. The file contains names and email addresses, approx 25 to 50
> names.  Here is a sample of the .TXT file (my real file is
> fixed-column, but it might not appear that way in this message)
>
> Miles Smith                 msmith@abott.com
> Michael Dell                 mdell@dell.com
> Steve Ballmer              sballmer@microsoft.com
> etc

> I know one way to import the file into an Outlook distribution list,
> but what is the best or correct way?

With the names in the format you describe, Select the entire list,
right-click and choose Copy.  The in Outlook, click New>Distribution List,
then click Select Members.  In the Members field, right-click and choose
Paste.  Click OK.  The names and addresses will be inserted properly into
the DL.  I just tried to make sure.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/1/2007 5:18:51 PM
Please try our email scheduler (http://www.lbetoolbox.com/scheduleemail.htm)
which will allow you to send multiple individual emails, html or plain text,
with attachments, either as a one-off or regularly at a specified time and
interval

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
http://www.lbetoolbox.com - Remove Duplicates from MS Outlook, find/replace,
send newsletters

"Rebecca" <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to accomplish the assignment below every month, with a different
>list
> eachtime, what is the right way to do it?
>
> I DO KNOW the basics, but I'm having trouble with the finer points re: the
> best way to use email addresses that are not initially in Outlook, and the
> best way to use TO: and BCC: and distribution lists effectively to make
> the
> email look correct at the recipient's end.
>
> I'm starting with a .TXT file in Windows but it's external from Outlook.
> The file contains names and email addresses, approx 25 to 50 names.  Here
> is
> a sample of the .TXT file (my real file is fixed-column, but it might not
> appear that way in this message)
>
> Miles Smith                 msmith@abott.com
> Michael Dell                 mdell@dell.com
> Steve Ballmer              sballmer@microsoft.com
> etc
>
> I want to send the same email message to everyone on the list.  At their
> end, the received message should end up looking something like this, with
> either their own name in the "To:" filed, or a generic group or DL name.
> From: Becky
> To: Miles Smith
> Subject: Your insurance premium is due next month
>
> This is just a friendly reminder that blah blah blah
> OR
> From: Becky
> To: Renewal Customers
> Subject: Your insurance premium is due next month
>
> This is just a friendly reminder that blah blah blah
>
> I know one way to import the file into an Outlook distribution list, but
> what is the best or correct way?  Or, if I just copy the contents on to
> the
> BCC line, what should I enter on the TO: line?  I don't want the message
> look like
>
> From: Becky
> Subject:
> etc

0
John
2/1/2007 5:20:34 PM
Thanks, Brian, you're correct about how to create the DL.

But then if I use the newly created DL in the TO: field when I create the
message,  the recipient will see the names of ALL people in the list...not
good.

If I leave the TO: field blank and put the DL into the BCC: field when I
send, then it's true that the recipient won't see all the names, but the TO:
field appears as blank, which seems impersonal, although I could do that in a
pinch.  Plus, someone told me that various recipient email software other
than Outlook might make weird assumptions about a blank "TO:" field

If I put the DL in the BCC, at the recipient's end I'd like the TO: field to
have their own email address, or at least contan the name of the DL, so if my
DL is named "RENEWAL CUSTOMERS" in my own Outlook then the TO: field in the
recipients's received email would say "TO: RENEWAL CUSTOMERS".  Do you know
how to do that?

I mean, spammers do this all the time, so why is it so hard to do this for a
legitmate business purpose? :-)

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Rebecca <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm starting with a .TXT file in Windows but it's external from
> > Outlook. The file contains names and email addresses, approx 25 to 50
> > names.  Here is a sample of the .TXT file (my real file is
> > fixed-column, but it might not appear that way in this message)
> >
> > Miles Smith                 msmith@abott.com
> > Michael Dell                 mdell@dell.com
> > Steve Ballmer              sballmer@microsoft.com
> > etc
>
> > I know one way to import the file into an Outlook distribution list,
> > but what is the best or correct way?
>
> With the names in the format you describe, Select the entire list,
> right-click and choose Copy.  The in Outlook, click New>Distribution List,
> then click Select Members.  In the Members field, right-click and choose
> Paste.  Click OK.  The names and addresses will be inserted properly into
> the DL.  I just tried to make sure.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Rebecca (144)
2/1/2007 6:07:28 PM
> Thanks, Brian, you're correct about how to create the DL.

use the txt file to create the address data for a mailmerge....

0
gbplinux (1141)
2/1/2007 6:12:21 PM
Thanks, Gordon, that's exactly what I WANT to do but I'm so sorry, apparently
I'm an idiot !!!  When I open Word, and choose Tools, then I don't see
anything called Mail Merge Wizard.  If I choose Tools> Letters and Mailings
then I see a choice called Mail Merge and a choice called Letter Wizard.  I
chose Mail Merge.  It opens a nice mail merge guide that I have used many
times before to create LETTERS to print on a PRINTER.  I've never used it to
create EMAIL MESSAGES to send from OUTLOOK EMAIL.  Obviously the steps are
different, and I can't figure them out !!!  DUH!!! :-(  These are the steps I
did so far, but somewhere I'm just not making the
connection:

Open a blank Word document

Choose Tools> Letters and Mailings> Mail Merge

On the right, choose the radio button “E-mail messages”

On the right, Choose “Next: Starting Document”

On the right, Choose “Next: Select Recipients”

On the right, Choose “Browse”

Use drop-down box to choose the location of the .TXT file, and choose it

Answer “OK” to all the Data Source windows until you are back to your blank
document

Choose “Next: Write Your Letter” and type in the text of your email address

Choose “Next: Complete the Merge”

The do at that point doesn't look correct to me.  Even if it was, then how
do I send that as an email?  It seems to want to go to a printer to be printed

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Rebecca" <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Brian, you're correct about how to create the DL.
>
> use the txt file to create the address data for a mailmerge....

0
Rebecca (144)
2/1/2007 6:31:02 PM
> Thanks, Gordon, that's exactly what I WANT to do but I'm so sorry,
> apparently
> I'm an idiot !!!  When I open Word, and choose Tools, then I don't see
> anything called Mail Merge Wizard.

have a look here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word/HA010349201033.aspx?pid=CL100636481033

0
gbplinux (1141)
2/1/2007 6:32:58 PM
Rebecca <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> If I leave the TO: field blank and put the DL into the BCC: field
> when I send, then it's true that the recipient won't see all the
> names, but the TO: field appears as blank, which seems impersonal,
> although I could do that in a pinch.  Plus, someone told me that
> various recipient email software other than Outlook might make weird
> assumptions about a blank "TO:" field
>
> If I put the DL in the BCC, at the recipient's end I'd like the TO:
> field to have their own email address, or at least contan the name of
> the DL, so if my DL is named "RENEWAL CUSTOMERS" in my own Outlook
> then the TO: field in the recipients's received email would say "TO:
> RENEWAL CUSTOMERS".  Do you know how to do that?

Spammers have specialized programs that can mess with almost every feature
of a message.

You appear to be working this issue in more than one thread.  Stick to the
mail merge issue in your other thread.  I'll finish the DL issue here.

In addition to a DL with the name "Renewal Customers", you can create
another contact, also named "Renewal Customers" (Outlook doesn't mind
duplicates) and give it your own address.  Then, when you create the
message, put the latter contact in the To field and the DL in the Bcc field.
Your recipeints will see "Renewal Customers" in the To field of the emssage
they receive.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Multiple Versions of IE...is Unsupported
Running Multiple Versions of Internet Explorer On Single Operating System is Unsupported http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2020599 On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:57:32 -0500, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote: >Running Multiple Versions of Internet Explorer On Single Operating System is >Unsupported >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2020599 Interesting that you posted this... was this in reference to another thread? I'd actually like to try running IE7 & IE8 on Vista... are there people who have hacked this on and posted a guide? Formal ...

Linq To SQL and multiple foreign keys naming issue
Hi, I have two tables and one points to the other with three foreign keys, but with different names. The Linq To SQL designer generates integer fields for the foreign keys with a meaningful name, but the object instance with one row of the referenced table has not a well meaning name. Sample: Table Object -> Table Customer Col CustBuy -> id Col CustSell -> id The generated code has integer fields like these: int? CustBuy; int? CustSell; But not meaningful names for the objects: Customer Customer1; Customer Customer2; When using that in code, one does...

No message in outbox

Sending a macro to another PC-how?

Sending mail from remote location

Send and Recieve Fix

cannot move messages
Sometimes when I attempt to move a message from the inbox to a storage folder I receive the following error message - "An unknown error has occured. The selected message(s) could not be moved." Why am I receiving this message and how can this problem be corrected? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks What kind of mail account is it? POP3, IMAP or HTTP? Both IMAP and HTTP accounts synchronize with the mail server, so moving a message from the mail account to the storage folder requires that WLM tell the mail server to delete the message from the server ma...

Unable to send?

Sending messages in Outlook

No Permission to Send/Receive Email???

urgent (high importance) messages #2
Is there a way to remove the high importance flag from messages sent through Exchange 2003? We have a number of users that always set this flag even though the subject matter of the message is not important at all. Thanks Might be, in one of the policies that are Outlook/Office based? Sorry can't be more specific than that... JeffG On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:53:03 -0800, "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to remove the high importance flag from messages sent through >Exchange 2003? > >We have a number of users that always set ...

Send Do Not Send

Sending on behalf... Exchange 2003

What was Outlook sending?

Count Based On Multiple Criteria
I am trying to count the number of occurrences during a given timeframe for a certain day of the week. I have tried multiple examples that I have found throughout the forums but can't seem to get this to work. Here is an example of the data I am using: A B C 1 Monday, 9/28/09 12:10 PM 2 Monday, 9/28/09 12:45 PM 3 Monday, 9/28/09 12:57 PM 4 Tuesday, 9/29/09 9:00 AM The data in the worksheet is for a week at a time. I am trying to count the number of occurrences that happen between a 30 minute time frame on a certain day. For example, the number of occurren...

'SEND' just sends it to the OUTBOX

Outlook Can't Send Messages

Rules Wizard and Send/Receive error
A couple of days ago, I received an alert from Norton Antivirus software that the file "belt.cab" was corrupted but could not be deleted. Fearing the worst, I manually deleted the file. Since then, Outlook appears to be completely disabled, with the symptoms being that several commands have disappeared from the Tools menu including Send/Receive (both), Rules Wizard, Out of Office Assistant. I can compose an email, but it will not send. I have checked my email accounts and all appears to be in order. Even after a complete reinstall, I cannot send/receive email. The on...

exchnage 5.5 multiple domains
Hi Guys OK - what's the trick...? We have a server with exchange 5.5 and two mail domain names. We can set up users to receive E-mail from either domain name. That works fine. Now the user wants to send E-mail from either domain... Currently they can only send with the return address being the initial/default domain name. How on earth do you set up "one" users mailbox to send from either domain. Pick and choose so to speak. The mail client is Outlook 2000. Hope this is a really dumb question with a simple answer. Got me stuffed, but that ain't hard (grin) Thanks in advance...

sending Access files
Is there a quick and easy way to send access files without Outlook blocking them. I exchange files with a limited selection of people so am happy that what I am sending and receiving is OK. I know that I can use WizZip but the knowledge database also suggests changing the .mdb extension. I don't know how to do this. Do I just right click over the file and choose open with Word? Or maybe there is a simpler way. Thanks When you send a file type that on Microsoft's potentially dangerous list, you get a message informing you that the recipient may not be able to access the file on...

Reading multiple values from another table.
I have a table with general information in it such as Subject, Reference Rumber, Comments. I would like to have another table with Company Reference and Responsibility. So when I create a new record including Subject and Reference Number, I could look up values from the second table to fill in multiple instances of Company Reference and Responsibility. A better example would be a form to order pizza. The main form would contain name, address, Size and type of pizza. Then from the same form, you would look up toppings from a seperate table to add multiple toppings to each instance of a pizza. ...

Multiple Send to
Dear Experts, In any Document Library you have a Send To drop down option. This can only be configured once that is only one entry. I have to have 7 Custom Send To options. Does anyone know how to create more than 1 Sent To? Best Regards, -- Girish J Bhatia MOSS Certified, SharePoint Certified, MCSE2003, MCDBA, CCNA, CCNP, CCSA ...

Trying to send emails from an external program
I am trying to send email from my accpac software and it makes me allow the email everytime. Is there a way I make my Outlook 2007 accept Accpac as a reliable source for sending emails?? tammy0005 wrote: > I am trying to send email from my accpac software and it makes me allow the > email everytime. Is there a way I make my Outlook 2007 accept Accpac as a > reliable source for sending emails?? MapiLab's security add-on (free) ...