send/receive cancel does NOT work

This has been making me nuts for years now. I'm finally at the point where I
want to know what's the deal with this. I use Outlook 2003 for most of my
email addresses. Occasionally one or 2 of them is down for some reason
(Comcast problems for example). So when I click send/receive I get errors
that the server can't be located or something similar. That's understandable
and not a problem. When I click the "cancel" button on the send receive
window the window closes and it appears that it has stopped trying. However
after a minute or so I get a box that pops up asking to confirm my email
user name and password. THis makes it clear that Outlook is still trying to
send/receive even though I cancelled all the tasks on the send/receive
window. What the heck is up with this? Why is there even a cancel button (in
fact there are 2) if it does nothing? IS there a way to really cancel them
or is this just one of the thousands of unresolved bugs in MS products?

0
krh (23)

If you have send/receive every xx minutes then the process will start again,
ensure its set for 10mins or longer, & then if the server is down you'll get
the notification again

"Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> This has been making me nuts for years now. I'm finally at the point where
> want to know what's the deal with this. I use Outlook 2003 for most of my
> email addresses. Occasionally one or 2 of them is down for some reason
> (Comcast problems for example). So when I click send/receive I get errors
> that the server can't be located or something similar. That's
> understandable
> and not a problem. When I click the "cancel" button on the send receive
> window the window closes and it appears that it has stopped trying.
> However
> after a minute or so I get a box that pops up asking to confirm my email
> user name and password. THis makes it clear that Outlook is still trying
> send/receive even though I cancelled all the tasks on the send/receive
> window. What the heck is up with this? Why is there even a cancel button
> (in
> fact there are 2) if it does nothing? IS there a way to really cancel them
> or is this just one of the thousands of unresolved bugs in MS products?

0
DL
10/16/2008 3:12:02 PM
I don't have send/receive on the automatic timer. I have about 10 different
email addresses that I check with Outlook. I always use send/recieve
manually. Nothing set to automatic at all.  The problem is that when I hit
send/receive just once and any of the addresses get hung up, I often hit
cancel to stop it. For example, this morning there was a problem with my
ISP's email system so 5 of my addresses were not working. When it's on the
receive it hangs a bit as it's still trying. That's the point where I hit
cancel. But Outlook still keeps trying. Not later on but in that same
send/recive instance. The send/receive window closes but a minute or 2
later, like I said before, it asks for login credentials. I hit cancel on
that little window. Finally after several seconds the send/receive window
pops up again with red exclamation marks next to the processes that failed
and shows an error message. Send/receive was only activated once. It's not a
problem with any automatic or manual periodic activation of send/receive.

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> If you have send/receive every xx minutes then the process will start
again,
> ensure its set for 10mins or longer, & then if the server is down you'll
get
> the notification again
>

> "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > This has been making me nuts for years now. I'm finally at the point
where
> > want to know what's the deal with this. I use Outlook 2003 for most of
my
> > email addresses. Occasionally one or 2 of them is down for some reason
> > (Comcast problems for example). So when I click send/receive I get
errors
> > that the server can't be located or something similar. That's
> > understandable
> > and not a problem. When I click the "cancel" button on the send receive
> > window the window closes and it appears that it has stopped trying.
> > However
> > after a minute or so I get a box that pops up asking to confirm my email
> > user name and password. THis makes it clear that Outlook is still trying
> > send/receive even though I cancelled all the tasks on the send/receive
> > window. What the heck is up with this? Why is there even a cancel button
> > (in
> > fact there are 2) if it does nothing? IS there a way to really cancel
them
> > or is this just one of the thousands of unresolved bugs in MS products?

0
krh (23)
10/16/2008 3:26:30 PM
So you manually send/receive each account, you dont have an accounts group?
I cannot say I've ever experiences such a problem with 8 accounts, but then
they are set up in an accounts group, so I have a 'Cancel All' Btn - which
does

>I don't have send/receive on the automatic timer. I have about 10 different
> email addresses that I check with Outlook. I always use send/recieve
> manually. Nothing set to automatic at all.  The problem is that when I hit
> send/receive just once and any of the addresses get hung up, I often hit
> cancel to stop it. For example, this morning there was a problem with my
> ISP's email system so 5 of my addresses were not working. When it's on the
> receive it hangs a bit as it's still trying. That's the point where I hit
> cancel. But Outlook still keeps trying. Not later on but in that same
> send/recive instance. The send/receive window closes but a minute or 2
> later, like I said before, it asks for login credentials. I hit cancel on
> that little window. Finally after several seconds the send/receive window
> pops up again with red exclamation marks next to the processes that failed
> and shows an error message. Send/receive was only activated once. It's not
> problem with any automatic or manual periodic activation of send/receive.
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> If you have send/receive every xx minutes then the process will start
> again,
>> ensure its set for 10mins or longer, & then if the server is down you'll
> get
>> the notification again
>>

>> "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > This has been making me nuts for years now. I'm finally at the point
> where
>> > want to know what's the deal with this. I use Outlook 2003 for most of
> my
>> > email addresses. Occasionally one or 2 of them is down for some reason
>> > (Comcast problems for example). So when I click send/receive I get
> errors
>> > that the server can't be located or something similar. That's
>> > understandable
>> > and not a problem. When I click the "cancel" button on the send receive
>> > window the window closes and it appears that it has stopped trying.
>> > However
>> > after a minute or so I get a box that pops up asking to confirm my
>> > email
>> > user name and password. THis makes it clear that Outlook is still
>> > trying
>> > send/receive even though I cancelled all the tasks on the send/receive
>> > window. What the heck is up with this? Why is there even a cancel
>> > button
>> > (in
>> > fact there are 2) if it does nothing? IS there a way to really cancel
> them
>> > or is this just one of the thousands of unresolved bugs in MS products?

0
DL
10/16/2008 4:19:46 PM
No. I didn't say that. They're all in the same group. I manually
send/receive them all at once via the main send/receive button. It's just
not set to go automatically ever xx minutes.

> So you manually send/receive each account, you dont have an accounts
group?
> I cannot say I've ever experiences such a problem with 8 accounts, but
then
> they are set up in an accounts group, so I have a 'Cancel All' Btn - which
> does
>
> "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I don't have send/receive on the automatic timer. I have about 10
different
> > email addresses that I check with Outlook. I always use send/recieve
> > manually. Nothing set to automatic at all.  The problem is that when I
hit
> > send/receive just once and any of the addresses get hung up, I often hit
> > cancel to stop it. For example, this morning there was a problem with my
> > ISP's email system so 5 of my addresses were not working. When it's on
the
> > receive it hangs a bit as it's still trying. That's the point where I
hit
> > cancel. But Outlook still keeps trying. Not later on but in that same
> > send/recive instance. The send/receive window closes but a minute or 2
> > later, like I said before, it asks for login credentials. I hit cancel
on
> > that little window. Finally after several seconds the send/receive
window
> > pops up again with red exclamation marks next to the processes that
failed
> > and shows an error message. Send/receive was only activated once. It's
not
> > problem with any automatic or manual periodic activation of
send/receive.

> > "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> >> If you have send/receive every xx minutes then the process will start
> > again,
> >> ensure its set for 10mins or longer, & then if the server is down
you'll
> > get
> >> the notification again
> >>

> >> "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > where
> > my
> > errors
> > them

0
krh (23)
10/16/2008 5:11:39 PM
The Cancel All btn works for me

> No. I didn't say that. They're all in the same group. I manually
> send/receive them all at once via the main send/receive button. It's just
> not set to go automatically ever xx minutes.
>
> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> So you manually send/receive each account, you dont have an accounts
> group?
>> I cannot say I've ever experiences such a problem with 8 accounts, but
> then
>> they are set up in an accounts group, so I have a 'Cancel All' Btn -
>> which
>> does
>>
>> "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I don't have send/receive on the automatic timer. I have about 10
> different
>> > email addresses that I check with Outlook. I always use send/recieve
>> > manually. Nothing set to automatic at all.  The problem is that when I
> hit
>> > send/receive just once and any of the addresses get hung up, I often
>> > hit
>> > cancel to stop it. For example, this morning there was a problem with
>> > my
>> > ISP's email system so 5 of my addresses were not working. When it's on
> the
>> > receive it hangs a bit as it's still trying. That's the point where I
> hit
>> > cancel. But Outlook still keeps trying. Not later on but in that same
>> > send/recive instance. The send/receive window closes but a minute or 2
>> > later, like I said before, it asks for login credentials. I hit cancel
> on
>> > that little window. Finally after several seconds the send/receive
> window
>> > pops up again with red exclamation marks next to the processes that
> failed
>> > and shows an error message. Send/receive was only activated once. It's
> not
>> > problem with any automatic or manual periodic activation of
> send/receive.
>> >

>> > "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> > again,
> you'll
>> > get

>> > where
> of
>> > my
> reason
>> > errors
> receive
> send/receive
>> > them
> products?

0
DL
10/16/2008 6:05:27 PM
Are you using O2003? I'm also using it under Win2k Pro so I don't know if
that matters. I typically run into problems that are unusual. Maybe when I
upgrade to XP in the next few months it'll stop doing that. LOL.

> The Cancel All btn works for me
>
> "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > No. I didn't say that. They're all in the same group. I manually
> > send/receive them all at once via the main send/receive button. It's
just
> > not set to go automatically ever xx minutes.
> >
> > "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> >> So you manually send/receive each account, you dont have an accounts
> > group?
> >> I cannot say I've ever experiences such a problem with 8 accounts, but
> > then
> >> they are set up in an accounts group, so I have a 'Cancel All' Btn -
> >> which
> >> does
> >>
> >> "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > different
> > hit
> > the
> > hit
> > on
> > window
> > failed
It's
> > not
> > send/receive.

> > you'll

> > of
> > reason
> > receive
> > send/receive
> > products?

0
krh (23)
10/16/2008 9:56:26 PM
Currently using 2007 but previously 2003, and prior to that 2000 with no
problems on any.
Perhaps you have an intigrated anti virus that may cause problems?

> Are you using O2003? I'm also using it under Win2k Pro so I don't know if
> that matters. I typically run into problems that are unusual. Maybe when I
> upgrade to XP in the next few months it'll stop doing that. LOL.
>
> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> The Cancel All btn works for me
>>
>> "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > No. I didn't say that. They're all in the same group. I manually
>> > send/receive them all at once via the main send/receive button. It's
> just
>> > not set to go automatically ever xx minutes.
>> >
>> > "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> > group?
>> > then

>> > different
>> > hit
> on
>> > the
>> > hit
> 2
> cancel
>> > on
>> > window
>> > failed
> It's
>> > not
>> > send/receive.

> start
>> > you'll

> point
> most
>> > of
>> > reason
>> > receive
> trying.
>> > send/receive
>> > products?

0
DL

No message in outbox

Sending a macro to another PC-how?

Data validation doesn't work if contents is added by pasting
Hi I've data validation set so that only the number 1 can be entered, but even this cannot be entered if an adjacent cell is a certain value. this works for direct entry, but not if the value is pasted in or added using the "drag handle". Is there any way to stop this happening as I just know somewones going to try and fill all the cells by draging the values down. Regards Jeff Jeff, You could disable "Allow cell drag and drop" in Tools | Options or... copy the following code, right click the sheet tab and choose 'view code'. Paste the code into the modu...

Sending mail from remote location

Send and Recieve Fix

Unable to send?

Working with names
I'm working in a worksheet plenty of named ranges. When I change a name of a range or cell, the formulas referring that range don't reflect tha change of the name (they keep the old name). May you suggest me a procedure to reflect automatically those changes? No, Excel doesn't change your formulas when you change a name. In fact it doesn't have a "change a name" feature as such. You must accomplish that by selecting the range and defining the new name. At that point you have two named ranges, the original and the new one. Then you would delete the old one from ...

increment of field after insert working poorly
Access 03 I have a sales quote form with line item numbers. I have a macro that increments the item number (using dcount) when a new item is added. It's tied to the After Insert event of the form. When the macro runs, it leaves the record unsaved when it's done. If I attempt to add a SaveRecord line, an error results that tells me I can't use the BeforeUpdate event (which is maddening, because I'm not using it). I don't like leaving the record unsaved, because the user my click the save record button twice. bicyclops wrote: > Access 03 > > I have a sales q...

Cancel stock split
In trying to use Cal Lerner's technique to record a Mutual Fund merger, I incorrectly entered the NAV exchange values for the split. I think I had them backward. MS money deluxe 2006 won't allow the edit undo function. Is there a way to cancel that split. Need to go from 1,842.56 shares @ $13.40/share to 1,545.075 shares @ $15.98/share. Both equal $24,652.06 In microsoft.public.money, refrigman55 wrote: >In trying to use Cal Lerner's technique to record a Mutual Fund merger, I >incorrectly entered the NAV exchange values for the split. I think I had them >backward...

Sending messages in Outlook

No Permission to Send/Receive Email???

Send Do Not Send

Sending on behalf... Exchange 2003

How to set up your mobile device to work with CRM 3.0 Mobile
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C66980.821C2210 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable The most common heard problem on how to setup your PDA to work with CRM = 3.0 Mobile is how to connect to the different network environments. In most scenarios you don't want to expose your CRM server to a direct = internet connection, but you want your employees to connect via a more = secure VPN connection. We have published a walkthrough on how to setup the different network = connection on your...

What was Outlook sending?

combo box control issue - working fine in '03,
when I add a new record on the form via VBA - and then go to the combo box control, the control tip shows properly, but the cursor is not blinking. can not type anything into the box. when I click on the box, all is ok. any ideas as to what is wrong? works fine in access 2003. thx Make sure that you have at least the first 2 service packs in Access 2007. There was a combo box dropdown problem that I think was fixed in SP2. If you still have the problem, try SP3. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.accessmvp.com http://www.mvps.org/access &...

Outlook Can't Send Messages

'SEND' just sends it to the OUTBOX

Rules Wizard and Send/Receive error
A couple of days ago, I received an alert from Norton Antivirus software that the file "belt.cab" was corrupted but could not be deleted. Fearing the worst, I manually deleted the file. Since then, Outlook appears to be completely disabled, with the symptoms being that several commands have disappeared from the Tools menu including Send/Receive (both), Rules Wizard, Out of Office Assistant. I can compose an email, but it will not send. I have checked my email accounts and all appears to be in order. Even after a complete reinstall, I cannot send/receive email. The on...

sending Access files
Is there a quick and easy way to send access files without Outlook blocking them. I exchange files with a limited selection of people so am happy that what I am sending and receiving is OK. I know that I can use WizZip but the knowledge database also suggests changing the .mdb extension. I don't know how to do this. Do I just right click over the file and choose open with Word? Or maybe there is a simpler way. Thanks When you send a file type that on Microsoft's potentially dangerous list, you get a message informing you that the recipient may not be able to access the file on...

Trying to send emails from an external program
I am trying to send email from my accpac software and it makes me allow the email everytime. Is there a way I make my Outlook 2007 accept Accpac as a reliable source for sending emails?? tammy0005 wrote: > I am trying to send email from my accpac software and it makes me allow the > email everytime. Is there a way I make my Outlook 2007 accept Accpac as a > reliable source for sending emails?? MapiLab's security add-on (free) ...

Multiple Send to
Dear Experts, In any Document Library you have a Send To drop down option. This can only be configured once that is only one entry. I have to have 7 Custom Send To options. Does anyone know how to create more than 1 Sent To? Best Regards, -- Girish J Bhatia MOSS Certified, SharePoint Certified, MCSE2003, MCDBA, CCNA, CCNP, CCSA ...

Reports not working #2
We installed CRM small business on a win 2003 small biz server with exchange and sql 2005.. we received an error while installing and ignored it (publishing crm reports failed unkown error) So we can get crm up and running and can get to our report server page? \\servername\reportserver\ but can't access \\servername\reportserver\reports\ Any thoughts? ...