Send link to item using Folder Assistant rule

I have an Exchange server public folder set up with a custom form.
The folder assistant rules work nicely to forward the posted messages
to the appropriate list of recipients, based on the value in one of
the user-defined fields of the form (using the Advanced settings in
the rule editor).

However there is no option to forward a _link_ to the posted message -
the entire message gets forwarded.  The result is that a message lands
up in the recipients' Inboxes using the default form, and they can
then proceed to reply on the message in their Inbox folders, which is
not desired.

I do not have the option of setting up services on the Exchange
server, or accessing the Organisational Forms Library.

There does not appear to be any way to forward a link to the posted
message, so that the recipient opens the item in the public folder?

The only solution I could think of was something along the following
lines:
1.  In the Save or Write event of the custom form, spawn a new item
2.  Create a link to the current (saved) item in this new item through
code
3.  Post the item, perhaps to another dummy folder

The folder assistant rules of this second folder should fire, and send
the item with the clickable link to the appropriate recipients.
Recipients should get that nice email with a clickable icon linking to
the original saved item using the custom form.

I have to use folder rules because the recipient list for each given
value of the custom field needs to be maintainable by the user.

Will this work?  The problem I can foresee is that someone will have
to periodically clean up the dummy folder containing all those link
emails.

--
Sriram

0
sriramna (3)

I think that would work. It would certainly be easier to maintain than =
trying to keep the list of recipients in the custom form itself. The =
Folder Assistant rule on the dummy folder should be able to include a =
delete action.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"sriramna" <sriramna@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
>I have an Exchange server public folder set up with a custom form.
> The folder assistant rules work nicely to forward the posted messages
> to the appropriate list of recipients, based on the value in one of
> the user-defined fields of the form (using the Advanced settings in
> the rule editor).
>=20
> However there is no option to forward a _link_ to the posted message -
> the entire message gets forwarded.  The result is that a message lands
> up in the recipients' Inboxes using the default form, and they can
> then proceed to reply on the message in their Inbox folders, which is
> not desired.
>=20
> I do not have the option of setting up services on the Exchange
> server, or accessing the Organisational Forms Library.
>=20
> There does not appear to be any way to forward a link to the posted
> message, so that the recipient opens the item in the public folder?
>=20
> The only solution I could think of was something along the following
> lines:
> 1.  In the Save or Write event of the custom form, spawn a new item
> 2.  Create a link to the current (saved) item in this new item through
> code
> 3.  Post the item, perhaps to another dummy folder
>=20
> The folder assistant rules of this second folder should fire, and send
> the item with the clickable link to the appropriate recipients.
> Recipients should get that nice email with a clickable icon linking to
> the original saved item using the custom form.
>=20
> I have to use folder rules because the recipient list for each given
> value of the custom field needs to be maintainable by the user.
>=20
> Will this work?  The problem I can foresee is that someone will have
> to periodically clean up the dummy folder containing all those link
> emails.
>=20
> --
> Sriram

0
suemvp (4038)
3/10/2007 1:30:02 PM
Thanks, it works well enough.

I do not see any Delete action available for public folders, only
Reply and Forward.  Any other way to do this?

Also, is it at all possible, without using the Organizational Forms
Library, to set things up so that users can post items to a folder but
not read others' posts to the same folder?

--
Sriram

On Mar 10, 6:30 pm, "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]"
<sue...@outlookcode.com> wrote:
> I think that would work. It would certainly be easier to maintain than trying to keep the list of recipients in the custom form itself. The Folder Assistant rule on the dummy folder should be able to include a delete action.
>
> "sriramna" <srira...@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1173204874.765515.25700@c51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> >I have an Exchange server public folder set up with a custom form.
> > The folder assistant rules work nicely to forward the posted messages
> > to the appropriate list of recipients, based on the value in one of
> > the user-defined fields of the form (using the Advanced settings in
> > the rule editor).
>
> > However there is no option to forward a _link_ to the posted message -
> > the entire message gets forwarded.  The result is that a message lands
> > up in the recipients' Inboxes using the default form, and they can
> > then proceed to reply on the message in their Inbox folders, which is
> > not desired.
>
> > I do not have the option of setting up services on the Exchange
> > server, or accessing the Organisational Forms Library.
>
> > There does not appear to be any way to forward a link to the posted
> > message, so that the recipient opens the item in the public folder?
>
> > The only solution I could think of was something along the following
> > lines:
> > 1.  In the Save or Write event of the custom form, spawn a new item
> > 2.  Create a link to the current (saved) item in this new item through
> > code
> > 3.  Post the item, perhaps to another dummy folder
>
> > The folder assistant rules of this second folder should fire, and send
> > the item with the clickable link to the appropriate recipients.
> > Recipients should get that nice email with a clickable icon linking to
> > the original saved item using the custom form.
>
> > I have to use folder rules because the recipient list for each given
> > value of the custom field needs to be maintainable by the user.
>
> > Will this work?  The problem I can foresee is that someone will have
> > to periodically clean up the dummy folder containing all those link
> > emails.

0
sriramna (3)
3/12/2007 4:24:15 PM
Sorry, I was sure there was a Delete action. I don't have an Exchange =
server handy today to check. The alternative would be to write an =
Exchange event sink.=20

As for your posting question, there is no simple setting to do that.=20

> [...]
>> > 2.  Create a link to the current (saved) item in this new item =
through
>> > code
>> > 3.  Post the item, perhaps to another dummy folder
>>
>> > The folder assistant rules of this second folder should fire, and =
send
>> > the item with the clickable link to the appropriate recipients.
>> > Recipients should get that nice email with a clickable icon linking =
>> > the original saved item using the custom form.
>>
>> > I have to use folder rules because the recipient list for each =
given
>> > value of the custom field needs to be maintainable by the user.
>>
>> > Will this work?  The problem I can foresee is that someone will =
have
>> > to periodically clean up the dummy folder containing all those link

0
suemvp (4038)
3/12/2007 9:34:21 PM
I was mistaken, there is indeed a standard DELETE action.  If I set up the
folder rules so that the DELETE action fires after the FORWARD actions, I
get a script error indicating that "A rule on this public folder is
preventing your message from being moved, copied or posted to the public
folder." and the Save
action cannot be completed.

My assumption that the rules are processed in sequence and not
asynchronously might not be true for the Folder actions?  If I disable the
Delete rule, the process goes through but of course the message remains in
the folder.

--
Sriram

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>> > The only solution I could think of was something along the following
>> > lines:
>> > 1.  In the Save or Write event of the custom form, spawn a new item
>> > 2.  Create a link to the current (saved) item in this new item through
>> > code
>> > 3.  Post the item, perhaps to another dummy folder
>>
>> > The folder assistant rules of this second folder should fire, and send
>> > the item with the clickable link to the appropriate recipients.
>> > Recipients should get that nice email with a clickable icon linking to
>> > the original saved item using the custom form.
>>
>> > I have to use folder rules because the recipient list for each given
>> > value of the custom field needs to be maintainable by the user.
>>
>> > Will this work?  The problem I can foresee is that someone will have
>> > to periodically clean up the dummy folder containing all those link

0
Sriram.NA (6)
3/23/2007 9:42:02 AM
Rules should be processed in sequence. You created two rules on the =
second folder, right? The first one to forward the item and the second =
to delete it?=20

I don't understand why you'd be getting that warning message, since the =
first folder shouldn't have any rules at all on it now that you're =
handling things with the custom form's Write event.=20
--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
"Sriram N A" <Sriram.NA@in.bosch.com> wrote in message =
>I was mistaken, there is indeed a standard DELETE action.  If I set up =
the
> folder rules so that the DELETE action fires after the FORWARD =
actions, I
> get a script error indicating that "A rule on this public folder is
> preventing your message from being moved, copied or posted to the =
public
> folder." and the Save
> action cannot be completed.
>=20
> My assumption that the rules are processed in sequence and not
> asynchronously might not be true for the Folder actions?  If I disable =
the
> Delete rule, the process goes through but of course the message =
remains in
> the folder.
>=20
> --=20
> Sriram
>=20
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, I was sure there was a Delete action. I don't have an Exchange =
server
> handy today to check. The alternative would be to write an Exchange =
event
> sink.
>=20
> "sriramna" <sriramna@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I do not see any Delete action available for public folders, only
>> Reply and Forward.  Any other way to do this?
>>
>> On Mar 10, 6:30 pm, "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]"
>> <sue...@outlookcode.com> wrote:
>>> I think that would work. It would certainly be easier to maintain =
than
> trying to keep the list of recipients in the custom form itself. The =
Folder
> Assistant rule on the dummy folder should be able to include a delete
> action.
>>>
>>> "sriramna" <srira...@hotmail.com> wrote in
> messagenews:1173204874.765515.25700@c51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

>=20
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)
3/23/2007 12:11:29 PM
I've got it working like this:
1.  User posts the form to the public folder.
2.  Item_Write event code spawns a new "Notification" Post form
through a custom action, which has an embedded link to the user's
post.  The notification is posted to the same folder.
3.  Folder Assistant rule is set up to forward this second
Notification form to the appropriate recipient list.  The rule fires
only for the Notification form, and sends to the appropriate list of
recipients based on the value in a user-defined field of the form.
The Delete action is also checked, which simultaneously deletes the
notification post from the folder.
4.  Users listed in the rule get the message that a new item has been
posted, with a clickable icon to open the original post.

The trick here is, both the Delete and Forward actions are activated
for the same rule.  I got the hint from the fact that these are
checkboxes in the Rules dialog, not radiobuttons.  Works great; no
dummy folder required.

Thanks for the guidance!

--
Sriram

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
> Rules should be processed in sequence. You created two rules on the second folder, right? The first one to forward the item and the second to delete it?
>
> I don't understand why you'd be getting that warning message, since the first folder shouldn't have any rules at all on it now that you're handling things with the custom form's Write event.
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>      http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
>    and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
>      Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
>      http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>
> "Sriram N A" <Sriram.NA@in.bosch.com> wrote in message news:eu06r5$9ri$1@news4.fe.internet.bosch.com...
> >I was mistaken, there is indeed a standard DELETE action.  If I set up the
> > folder rules so that the DELETE action fires after the FORWARD actions, I
> > get a script error indicating that "A rule on this public folder is
> > preventing your message from being moved, copied or posted to the public
> > folder." and the Save
> > action cannot be completed.
> >
> > My assumption that the rules are processed in sequence and not
> > asynchronously might not be true for the Folder actions?  If I disable the
> > Delete rule, the process goes through but of course the message remains in
> > the folder.
> >
> > --
> > Sriram
> >
> > "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, I was sure there was a Delete action. I don't have an Exchange server
> > handy today to check. The alternative would be to write an Exchange event
> > sink.
> >
> > "sriramna" <sriramna@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I do not see any Delete action available for public folders, only
> >> Reply and Forward.  Any other way to do this?

> > trying to keep the list of recipients in the custom form itself. The Folder
> > Assistant rule on the dummy folder should be able to include a delete
> > action.

> > messagenews:1173204874.765515.25700@c51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

0
sriramna (3)

No message in outbox

Pivot Items Visible
I'm trying to make all pivot items non visible and then mak only one visible based on a cell value. Dim pitem As PivotItem Sheet3.PivotTables("TypesOfService").ManualUpdate = True ''''''Show all items For Each pitem In Sheet3.PivotTables("TypesOfService").PivotFields("Type of service").PivotItems pitem.Visible = False Sheet3.PivotTables("TypesOfService").PivotFields("Type of service").PivotItems("(blank)").Visible = False Next Thanks in ...

standard cost
We have a Make item that is set up as FIFO Periodic. There was an item on the BOM for it that was FIFO Perpetual (normally you wouldn't be able to add a FIFO Perpetual item to the BOM for a FIFO Periodic item, but we push our BOMs in using a customized utility). I changed the Valuation Method for the BOM Item from FIFO Perpetual to FIFO Periodic using the Utilities > Inventory > Change Valuation. A pending material cost was entered for this item and the standard cost rolled up fine, but the standard cost for the Make item still will not roll up. We've tried deleting th...

Sending a macro to another PC-how?

Sending mail from remote location

Send and Recieve Fix

Unable to send?

No Permission to Send/Receive Email???

RE: How do I get my new dialog box to invoke when I press New Menu Item
Hi All, 1. Machine and OS specifications I have Windows XP running Office XP Standard Edition. These software packages are installed on my dell Inspiron laptop. I have 128 MB RAM with a 40 GB HardDrive. 2. Problem In excel, when I pressed the New menu item, a dialog box would appear displaying all of the known templates. Now, only a new worksheet appears. I would like for the dialog to appear again. Can someone tell me how to get the dialog box back displaying all of my templates? d, The default New button has always generated a new workbook, no dialog box. There's ano...

Sending messages in Outlook

Help please using a combo box with a query instead of the usual wildcards etc.....
Hi, I have nearly finished my database and I would like to add a query that uses a combo box to get the results, not the usual paramater style input. I suppose it would need a form and a query and a combo box, but where to start !!!!!!!! Any kind soul out there that can give me an example of where to start..........? Many Thanks Joe Joe The generic approach you'd use is: * create a new form, add a combo box that is set to return the value your query would need * create your query ... in the criterion "cell", put a reference to the form's combo box's value: ...

Send Do Not Send

missing public folder #2
For some reason completely unknown to me, many of the public folders dissappeared from the M drive and are no longer accessible from the Outlook clients. On the other hand, when I look at the Exchange administration program the folders are all there and the permissions seem correct. Is there any way of getting these back without doing a complete system/Exchange restore? Sounds like Joe has exactly the same problem I am describing. I did look at the EMS and all of the folders are indicated and the permissions are correct. No one touched these things. Still they do not appear on the M drive a...

Linking spreadsheets and creating new lines of data
I just finished creating a very large workbook with over twelve years of daily market data. The first spreadsheet in the workbook contains historical data of 16 market indicators. The next 15 spreasheets use data from the 16 market indicators found on the first spreadsheet. I'm trying to automate the process I go through daily updating the spreadsheets with the most current data. For example, say tomorrow morning I manually entered todays S&P 500 Closing Price in cell A4051 on the first spreadsheet. The second spreadsheet has several formulas that use the number entered in cell A...

What was Outlook sending?

Sending on behalf... Exchange 2003

Using a variable for a chart limit
Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Vince F Hi, See Jon's information http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Cheers Andy Vince F wrote: > Since I got instant help on my last query, is there any way to use a cell > reference as an axis minimum or maximum in format axis? It seems impossible, > but there is a lot of experience out there. Thanks in advance. -- Andy Pop...

'SEND' just sends it to the OUTBOX

Outlook Can't Send Messages

Rules Wizard and Send/Receive error
A couple of days ago, I received an alert from Norton Antivirus software that the file "belt.cab" was corrupted but could not be deleted. Fearing the worst, I manually deleted the file. Since then, Outlook appears to be completely disabled, with the symptoms being that several commands have disappeared from the Tools menu including Send/Receive (both), Rules Wizard, Out of Office Assistant. I can compose an email, but it will not send. I have checked my email accounts and all appears to be in order. Even after a complete reinstall, I cannot send/receive email. The on...

using third party defragmenting software
Good evening, I wanted to ask a simple question: when using a third-party defragmenting utility (such as DiskKeeper from Executive) on a Domain Controller that also runs Exchange (do not shoot me! I inherited this situation) it is a wise and prudent move to make sure that both the folder that contains ntds.dit (stored in the default location) as well as the folder that contains both priv1.edb and priv1.stm (not stored in the default location) are excluded from this utility's 'sight'. In fact, the argument could very easily be made that this utility should not be installed...

sending Access files
Is there a quick and easy way to send access files without Outlook blocking them. I exchange files with a limited selection of people so am happy that what I am sending and receiving is OK. I know that I can use WizZip but the knowledge database also suggests changing the .mdb extension. I don't know how to do this. Do I just right click over the file and choose open with Word? Or maybe there is a simpler way. Thanks When you send a file type that on Microsoft's potentially dangerous list, you get a message informing you that the recipient may not be able to access the file on...

DST/Public Folders/Outlook Tool
I can't get the Outlook Tool to run against calendars in my Public Folders. I've run the PFDAVAdmin tool to come up with my public folder path, so I'm sure that's correct. I get no errors at all when I run the TZMove utility from a command prompt. When I run it from the GUI (which the documentation says can be done) I get the error that I "don't have the appropriate permissions to perform this operation." .... but I'm the folder owner! Any thoughts as to why this isn't working properly? Any thoughts on why this isn't working? Kim Kovacs ...