secure email setup (digital signatures)

Can someone point me in the right direction for instructions on setting up
secure email in Outlook 2000? I need to setup certificates so that email can
be digitally signed by some of my users and so that these users can verify
authenticity of the senders of some of their emails.

any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

0
noone1 (387)

Will your site be acquiring certificates from an online authority like
Verisign/Thawte or going with an internal certificate authority?  The later
introduces issues of its own since the public will not know about your
internal certificate authority.  In any event, once the user acquires a
certificate for S/MIME, they just need to publish the certificate in their
personal certificate store.  From there, they select Tools | Options |
Security tab I believe and set the drop down to their S/MIME certificate and
pick the options correct for your site.

/neo

ps - if getting a certificate from an online authority, encourage your users
to keep a backup copy of the *.cer file.  This way if they change machines
or their NT/2000/XP/2003 user profile on the machine become corrupt, they
can reinstall the certificate and not lose access to any encrypted messages.

"djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Can someone point me in the right direction for instructions on setting up
> secure email in Outlook 2000? I need to setup certificates so that email
> can
> be digitally signed by some of my users and so that these users can verify
> authenticity of the senders of some of their emails.
>
> any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

0
neo7948 (622)
2/24/2005 1:06:41 PM
thank you for the info neo. I have not decided on external or interal cert
authority yet. I guess external would be the best way so all users already
trust the source.

thanks again.

"neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
> Will your site be acquiring certificates from an online authority like
> Verisign/Thawte or going with an internal certificate authority?  The
later
> introduces issues of its own since the public will not know about your
> internal certificate authority.  In any event, once the user acquires a
> certificate for S/MIME, they just need to publish the certificate in their
> personal certificate store.  From there, they select Tools | Options |
> Security tab I believe and set the drop down to their S/MIME certificate
and
> pick the options correct for your site.
>
> /neo
>
> ps - if getting a certificate from an online authority, encourage your
users
> to keep a backup copy of the *.cer file.  This way if they change machines
> or their NT/2000/XP/2003 user profile on the machine become corrupt, they
> can reinstall the certificate and not lose access to any encrypted
messages.

> "djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Can someone point me in the right direction for instructions on setting
up
> > secure email in Outlook 2000? I need to setup certificates so that email
> > can
> > be digitally signed by some of my users and so that these users can
verify
> > authenticity of the senders of some of their emails.
> >
> > any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

0
noone1 (387)

i m using one Pst One Email-id but 2 system mail are coming 2 copy
i m using Microsoft Outlook 2003 . using one E-mail ID and one PST file but I m using in 2 different Systems . mail are coming 2 copy what is solution. i want one copy only Saravanakumar, you wrote on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 02:05:15 -0700: > i m using Microsoft Outlook 2003 . using one E-mail ID and one PST > file but I m using in 2 different Systems . mail are coming 2 copy > what is solution. i want one copy only Uncheck the option "Leave a copy on server" (or similiar): Tools | E-Mail-Accounts | Existing E-Mail-Accounts There select the email account, click on "...

Email Header
Hi, We presently host our own email server, however I was wondering if it is possible to configure Exchange to hide the local domain and server name in the message header? Replace it with the public address? Mark ...

User Clss Security
I am new to Microsoft Dynamics, and performing an evaulation using Rel.9. I am attempting to set up user class security to assign to usrs when I add them. When I set up a class for purchaing for example, selecting Windows and a series of Purchasing to allow access to the purchaing screens and save this. Then create a user and assign the class to the user I am creating, the end result when I print a security report for this user, the user has far more authorizations than the windows I granted to the Purchaning class. Authorizations include advanced security, Financials and many others. W...

Recovery of lost emails
Hi i just recently reformated my computer to the extent where no files were lost. my isp said that the emails recived through outlook express 6 should still be on my computer ready to be imported but i seem to having trouble finding those lost emails. my os is windows xp and i have outlook express 6 stang <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi i just recently reformated my computer to the extent > where no files were lost. my isp said that the emails > recived through outlook express 6 should still be on my > computer ready to be imported but i seem to hav...

Installing Exchange Email Router Setup
When I install Exchange Email Router on our exchange server, we get the following error: Action Microsoft.crm.setup.exchange.installserviceAction failed Object reference not set to an instance of an object. The progress bar ends at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Exchange.SinkServiceInstaller Does anyone have an idea what could cause this? Thx in advance ...

multipile copies of same email
We sent an email to an AOL account, the person that received the email said he got the same email from us 50 times. What happened, we are running exchange 5.0 & interscan messaging suite, I checked the logs and it only shows up once in the logs. Does anybody know if it was our system that sent it 50 times or is there some other source resending it. Thank you for your replies ...

Advanced Security Error
When I am in the Advanced Security form, I will select a user class (or user) and then select the "by menu" option on right of the form, I get the following error; The stored procedure WDC_Security_CloneClassEntity returned the following results: DBMS: 0, Microsoft Dynamics GP: 50403. I have search the knowledgebase and googled it and I can't find anything about how to fix this error. This error code means that it was trying to clone from an entity that did not exist in the Accelerator tables. I suggest that you Reset the Accelerator from the Advanced Security Options w...

custom entity and email creating
Hello, I have created a custom entity. When creating an email activity for this entity, the Email address field isn't automatically added, as is the case in account, contact etc. also, when clicking the magnifier icon this entity doesn't appear in the "look for" field. Is there a way to do one or both of these things? Help would be most appreciated. If you create an email activity from within the account or contact entity, fields will be automatically populated vs. creating the email activity outside the entity and manually populating fields. "Chen Hirsh" wrote...

Emailing Publisher documents with multiple pages....
I'm using Publisher 2003 for our department newsletter. Most of our agents do not have Publisher so I need to either email the newsletter as the body of the email or as an attachment they can open. I have figured out how to both put it in the body and save as another type of file however, the newsletter is 3 pages long and when I use either of these options, it only does the page selected not all three. Can you help me? Thank you so much! Use .pdf files. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Sheila" <Sheila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Emailing contacts?
Is it possible to email contacts from outlook 2000 to outlook 2002? Please help? Yes, you can insert them as Outlook items in messages or forward them as vCards, but why? Just copy them to a PST file and open that PST file in the other installation. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cd5c01c4391c$e7d24080$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to email contacts from outlook 2000 to > outlook 2002? Please help? ...

Sending Blank Email
Hello, we are having an issue were some email recipients are receiving the emails from out exchange server but the body of the email is blank. This is not an issue with most recipients but a handful of people are recieving email with blank message body from our exchange 2003 server. We recently applied SP2 and we are using Trend Micro's Messaging Suite 3.0-SP1. Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks in advance Aaron Are the users with this problem consistently the same? Anything consistent about the types of email, for example are they formatted as HTML? Have considered disabling...

Sending an Email(not template) in Workflow to a Contact

Outlook2K7/Vista & Security Certificates??
I'm using Outlook 2007 and Vista Ultimate. My AOL IMAP mail worked fine until a about a week ago. Now I get this error message: "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate cannot be verified. Do want to continue using this server" I click "Yes" and it downloads the new email, but I have to do this each time I open Outlook 2007. Anyone have any clues how to fix this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx can you download the certificate and add it to your trusted certs? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outl...

save emails from group email address into group email sent items
Is it possible to get emails that I send from a group/shared email address to saved into the Sent Items folder for that group email? It saves the emails but only in my personal Sent Items folder. Tools-> Options-> E-mail Options...-> Advanced E-mail Options...-> In folders other than the Inbox, save replies with original message -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- ...

Outgoing Hotmail Email Doesn't Work Through Outlook
I have Outlook 2002. I set up my hotmail account with Outlook. I can read my hotmail email just fine; however, I cannot send email via my hotmail account. Email sends fine from an IMAP account that I setup with Outlook. When I attempt to send via hotmail, the message appears to leave the Outbox in the "deliver mail to" .pst folder; however, the outgoing mail is never received by the intended recipient. I have searched extensively on the web for a solution to this problem, but I am at a loss. Any ideas? ...

Security
Now with Money 2005 it seems you are pretty much required to use an MSN Passport to take advantage of its features. This means all your financial information is somewhere on some Microsoft server. Not only some statements from a certain bank, but ALL of your info. Your checking and savings accounts, your investment and retirement accounts and all the necessary passwords to access these accounts at each particular bank. Together with individual notes you may have added to each transaction (and with the combined information of all of your accounts) anyone accessing your data gets a pr...

Outlook send emails
I have two problems that I am unable to resolve myself and wonder if anyone can offer helpful advice. 1. I have two email users on my computer one can send and receive emails very easily the other can receive emails but for an unknown reason is unable to send. The details box is shown on screen but when we see the progress complete message the emails remain in the out box and I don't understand why can you help. 2 not really an out look problem but I seem unable to change the configuration of my keyboard from American to English - most issues can be got arount but we don't h...

Proper Security Settings on Exchange Install Folder?
I am trying to nail down the security of our Exchange 2003 servers before we start a mass migration off 5.5. One issue I am dealing with is securing the Exchange install directory, in my case c:\program files\exchsrvr I have a Microsoft Press Book "Secure Messaging with MS Exchange Server 2003" that talks about doing this on page 144, but the details aren't as clear as I would like them. For example, they say to remove the everyone inheritance. I don't have that. (thats not my question - but right away I'm seeing the book completely different from what I have) Th...

Emails Cutting Off
I have just started having problems where I will get forwarded an email from someone not a part of my exchange server and when I go down the email to read the start of it the section that lists the sender, receivers, date/time, ect is being cut off an you can only see the very right hand section of it. The rest is out of the margin to the left. There is to way to actually see this information without copying the section and pasting into word. Does anyone know if there is a setting I should check? I run Outlook 2007 but my company exchange server is 2003. Could that be the pr...

creating signatures
A while back I created a personal signature with the 'Change is in the air' theme. I wanted to change that now, but I can't find those themes??? When I open the signature to edit, it doesn't appear that I have all the tools on my toolbar? I just wondered if Live changed something, or if I'm just missing something... ...

Can't hide Paragraph q in email
Hi there, I accidentally turned the paragraph marks on in my email and now I can't get rid of them. I have followed the instructions from Microsoft but to no avail. I simply cannot find where to switch this off and its driving me nuts. The instructions from the Microsoft site haven't helped me at all as I can't find the buttons they are talking about: Quote: "Sometimes toolbars don't completely fit at the top of a message, and the buttons that you use less frequently are grouped together under Toolbar Options at the end of their respective toolbars" Pleas...

New Email all messed up
Outlook 2002. Suddenly I have a terrible problem. When I write an email, every paragraph is bounded by a red box. I added a red-box Style to a word document recently. When I open Word 2002, my Normal template also puts a red box on everything. It also shows all the styles I have ever created, even though I never saved them to the Normal template. I deleted Normal.dot, but the weirdness came right back. I think I need to recreate a new Normal template. I don't know how to do that. Lady Dungeness Crabby, but Great Legs! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Search for and delete all ins...

Inserting a signature "manually"
Outlook/Office 2003. How does one command the insertion of one's "signature" with a menu selection or a keyboard shortcut when the default is not to insert it? I have insertion of my "signature" (personal data) set to automatic for initiated messages and not for replies. That's fine for 99% of the time. But if I am replying to a "broadcast" message (sent to "everyone," and the sender may not know me personally), then I would like to optionally include my "signature." I don't find it on the "Insert" menu, nor anywhere ...

security setup
is there anyway to change security level of cashier by time. for example from 9am to 1 pm they have different security level and from 1 to 5 they have different. Also is there anyway to disable "tender" button on POS for all cashiers. i want to dedicate one of my machines just to make work orders so knowbody can tender amount on it. thank you Shoby, Not that I'm aware of. If you can't press the F12 Tender button, you can't save the workorder. But you can disable the Amount column in the Tender screen. When in POS, click on the bottom blank button on the le...

email routing to public folders
Does anyone know how Exchange 2000 correctly routes smtp email to a folder in the public folder hierarchy ? Active Directory holds the email addresses but has no record of hierarchy paths or host servers. Can the address - folder correspondnce be displayed manually, or by program ? http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/10/06/238821.aspx <johnjkjk84@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1109892230.561464.110920@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know how Exchange 2000 correctly routes smtp email to a > folder in the public folder hierarchy ? Active Directory holds th...