Same .pst Files Looks Different on other PC

Hello,

I have a weird problem. I have a small network at home with 1 desktop and 1
(wireless) laptop. I have installed MS Office XP on both computer including
all the servicepacks and updates (both Outlook version numbers 10.4712.4219
SP-2). I share my document folder which is on the desktop, so I can access
it through the laptop. When I open the .pst file on my laptop, Outlook
handles the full-day appointments differently. It moves them up one hour,
i.e. makes the appointments start at 23.00 hours the night before (and then
they last till 23.00 hours on the right day). When I double-click the
appointment the time really has changed to 23.00 hours. Now all my 1-day
event become 2-day events with the clocks shown in the calendar view. This
does not happen when I open the same file (not a copy, but the same one!) on
my desktop. There they show up like they're supposed to, lasting one day,
from midnight to midnight. Can anyone please explain to me why this happens,
or, even better, tell me how to solve this???

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Ren�

0
ctx (3)

You have a setting different on your laptop.  Check Tools>Options>Calendar
options in both machines and see what's different.  Check (under calendar
options) the time zone and the adjust for daylight savings settings on both
machines.
"Ren�" <ctx@softhome.net> wrote in message news:1059231189.241554@cache2...
> Hello,
>
> I have a weird problem. I have a small network at home with 1 desktop and
1
> (wireless) laptop. I have installed MS Office XP on both computer
including
> all the servicepacks and updates (both Outlook version numbers
10.4712.4219
> SP-2). I share my document folder which is on the desktop, so I can access
> it through the laptop. When I open the .pst file on my laptop, Outlook
> handles the full-day appointments differently. It moves them up one hour,
> i.e. makes the appointments start at 23.00 hours the night before (and
then
> they last till 23.00 hours on the right day). When I double-click the
> appointment the time really has changed to 23.00 hours. Now all my 1-day
> event become 2-day events with the clocks shown in the calendar view. This
> does not happen when I open the same file (not a copy, but the same one!)
on
> my desktop. There they show up like they're supposed to, lasting one day,
> from midnight to midnight. Can anyone please explain to me why this
happens,
> or, even better, tell me how to solve this???
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ren�

0
cj6178 (257)
7/26/2003 3:08:41 PM
"Conrad Pfleging" <cj@NOSPAMpflpfarm.com> schreef in bericht
> You have a setting different on your laptop.  Check Tools>Options>Calendar
> options in both machines and see what's different.  Check (under calendar
> options) the time zone and the adjust for daylight savings settings on
both
> machines.

Hi Conrad,

You were exactly right. While in Windows Control Panel the setting was the
same on both computers, in Outlook the daylight savings setting was enabled
on my desktop, but not on the laptop. I'm sure I've never touched this
setting in Outlook before (didn't even know it was there), so it still
puzzles me why it was turned on by default by the installation on my
desktop, but not on the laptop.

Anyway, I don't think I'll loose any sleep over it; I'm just happy my
problem was solved so quickly :-)

Thanks very much for the help.

Ren�

0
ctx (3)
7/26/2003 5:16:17 PM
YW, I for one have never been able to understand why MS has those settings
in 2 different places.  It just causes lots of confusion.

"Ren�" <ctx@softhome.net> wrote in message news:1059239717.531384@cache2...
> "Conrad Pfleging" <cj@NOSPAMpflpfarm.com> schreef in bericht
> > You have a setting different on your laptop.  Check
Tools>Options>Calendar
> > options in both machines and see what's different.  Check (under
calendar
> > options) the time zone and the adjust for daylight savings settings on
> both
> > machines.
>
> Hi Conrad,
>
> You were exactly right. While in Windows Control Panel the setting was the
> same on both computers, in Outlook the daylight savings setting was
enabled
> on my desktop, but not on the laptop. I'm sure I've never touched this
> setting in Outlook before (didn't even know it was there), so it still
> puzzles me why it was turned on by default by the installation on my
> desktop, but not on the laptop.
>
> Anyway, I don't think I'll loose any sleep over it; I'm just happy my
> problem was solved so quickly :-)
>
> Thanks very much for the help.
>
> Ren�

0
cj6178 (257)
7/26/2003 6:02:03 PM
Because not everyone will use Outlook, but everyone will use the Operating
System.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

"Conrad Pfleging" <cj@NOSPAMpflpfarm.com> wrote in message
| YW, I for one have never been able to understand why MS has those settings
| in 2 different places.  It just causes lots of confusion.
|
| "Ren�" <ctx@softhome.net> wrote in message
| > "Conrad Pfleging" <cj@NOSPAMpflpfarm.com> schreef in bericht
| > > You have a setting different on your laptop.  Check
| Tools>Options>Calendar
| > > options in both machines and see what's different.  Check (under
| calendar
| > > options) the time zone and the adjust for daylight savings settings on
| > both
| > > machines.
| >
| > Hi Conrad,
| >
| > You were exactly right. While in Windows Control Panel the setting was
the
| > same on both computers, in Outlook the daylight savings setting was
| enabled
| > on my desktop, but not on the laptop. I'm sure I've never touched this
| > setting in Outlook before (didn't even know it was there), so it still
| > puzzles me why it was turned on by default by the installation on my
| > desktop, but not on the laptop.
| >
| > Anyway, I don't think I'll loose any sleep over it; I'm just happy my
| > problem was solved so quickly :-)
| >
| > Thanks very much for the help.
| >
| > Ren�

0
MillyS1 (1480)
7/26/2003 7:39:03 PM
"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@mvps.org> schreef in bericht
> Because not everyone will use Outlook, but everyone will use the Operating
> System.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

So having that setting in the OS should be sufficient...

Ren�

0
ctx (3)
7/27/2003 9:30:19 AM
So why not use the Operating System settings, rather than=20
having another setting in Outlook?  It seems like this is=20
just redundant.

Roy A. Kelly II
Windows Support Technician

intact.

>"Conrad Pfleging" <cj@NOSPAMpflpfarm.com> wrote in message
>| YW, I for one have never been able to understand why MS=20
has those settings
>| in 2 different places.  It just causes lots of=20
confusion.

>| "Ren=E9" <ctx@softhome.net> wrote in message
>| > "Conrad Pfleging" <cj@NOSPAMpflpfarm.com> schreef in=20
bericht
>| Tools>Options>Calendar
Check (under
>| calendar
>| > both
>| >
>| > Hi Conrad,
>| >
>| > You were exactly right. While in Windows Control=20
Panel the setting was
>the
>| > same on both computers, in Outlook the daylight=20
savings setting was
>| enabled
>| > on my desktop, but not on the laptop. I'm sure I've=20
never touched this
>| > setting in Outlook before (didn't even know it was=20
there), so it still
>| > puzzles me why it was turned on by default by the=20
installation on my
>| > desktop, but not on the laptop.
>| >
>| > Anyway, I don't think I'll loose any sleep over it;=20
I'm just happy my
>| > problem was solved so quickly :-)
>| >
>| > Thanks very much for the help.
>| >
>| > Ren=E9
>| >

>.

0
roykelly (6)

Unable to Read File #2
I cut and paste another part of the file to an existing excel file, When open the file again, the page is blank and a dialog box states: "Unable to open file". I saved my work every step of the way. I made a backup copy and have tried it several times. Each time the dialog box states : Unable to read file. What is the problem? Are you by any chance running XL97 or XL2K, and within the range that is being cut and pasted have any references to names that use formulas such as GET.WORKBOOK etc? I would have expected it to crash Excel if you do, but worth asking the qu...

How do I open a .pub file without publisher?
You don't. Not possible. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "Amelia" <Amelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D62EC10-AADF-44FD-A702-D084B5B5C42E@microsoft.com... > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.776 / Virus Database: 523 - Release Date: 10/12/2004 Any one of the following options will work. Get and install Publisher. Send it to someone who will convert it to a pdf file. This assumes you have Acrobat Reader, if no...

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

File access error in Excel
I just started having a weird problem in Excel. I go to save a file that I recently opened and updated, and I get an error message that access to the file is denied for a file sharing error. If I save the file to another file name, and then immediately "save as" back to the original name, it works fine. I tried uninstalling and reloading Excel (a very laborious process because I must uninstall and reinstall all of Office Pro, and then download all updates since my CD copy). This seems to fix the problem for a while, but it returns a few weeks later. I am baffl...

Sync. question for .pst file.
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

How to create Excel file?
Hi all I'm creating an application and I want to save the output in an excel sheet file, doesn any one know how can I do that ?? Thanks What do you mean, do you want to save it in a format that Execl can read, or do you want to save in a real execl file. Execl doesn't have a problem reading comma seperated files, if that exceptable. Or look into actually opening an execl spreadsheet within your application and let the user input their data directly into the spreadsheet. (COM Object) and here are links with descriptions to the file format http://sc.openoffice.org/excelfileformat.p...

123 files
Is there any way to open Lotus 123 files in Excel? As far as I know, yes. Open them. Tyro "jasper" <jasper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE91293A-624E-4AA8-8B60-7CF3B18622C1@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to open Lotus 123 files in Excel? File>Open>Files of Type>Lotus 123 *.wk? Give it a try. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:01:00 -0800, jasper <jasper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there any way to open Lotus 123 files in Excel? What version of excel and what extension of the Lotus file? jaspe...

How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?
Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating. When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so something did go wrong with the file system. ...

Password protecting certain worksheets in a file
How do I set passwords to protect just certain worksheets in a file? If you mean worksheet passwords, one way: Public Sub ProtectSomeButNotAll() Const sPWORD As String = "drowwsap" Dim vSheets As Variant Dim i As Long vSheets = Array("Sheet1", "Sheet3", "Sheet5") For i = LBound(vSheets) To UBound(vSheets) Worksheets(vSheets(i)).Protect sPWORD Next i End Sub In article <071001c53487$7cdd3bb0$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:...

::: Excel
Hello, Will anyone know how many tabs one Excel file can include ? Thanks for your input ... I will search on my side. Jacques Hi Jacques, From Excel HELP: Sheets in a workbook Limited by available memory (default is 3 sheets) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel <infojacques@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1176749959.961608.103850@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... | Hello, | | Will anyone know how many tabs one Excel file can include ? | | Thanks for your input ... I will search on my side. | | Jacques | Jacques, You don't say which version of Exce...

Old pst file
I have an old pst file saved on cd that I need to get an email address from. I no longer am on an exchange server. Is there a utility for viewing emails in the pst file? Is there a utility that will import the pst file into Outlook Express without having full Outlook on my system? Currently Outlook Express keeps saying to configure the Outlook email client before import. Thanks in advance for any help. OE cannot use PST files. The messages you are getting are correct. Believe them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Dummy" <ab@pickapics.com> wrote in message news:...

size of .pst file #2
I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this group, but to no avail.... Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file. However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2 additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that, following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox structure to the two personal folders. To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which...

backup Outlook.pst file if busy
Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Thanks. Doug <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup > can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically > close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Some remote-control programs allow this. -- Brian Tillman ...

creation of bmp files
is there a method of creating bmp files by entering (x,y) coordinates into a spreadsheet and then somehow converting to a bmp file? Are you hoping to create bmp files of charts? "c vance" <cgvance@juno.com> wrote in message news:030b01c3a583$61c5aef0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > is there a method of creating bmp files by entering > (x,y) coordinates into a spreadsheet and then somehow > converting to a bmp file? ...

why outlook1.pst and outlook.pst?
Hello, A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.. One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember which way round. Why are there 2 .pst files? Cheers, Geoff Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one by accident and it's just sitting there unused. "...

Outlook PST file empty.
I have 2 .pst files. When I view the file properties in Explorer/File Manager etc they show as 4MB and 40MB in size respectively. When I open them through Outlook (2000, 2002 on NT and XP) both files show as completely empty, and the file size as 0KB. I've run scanpst.exe, and it can't find any problems with the files. Has anyone got any ideas? See if any of the additional tips on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the n...

update row numbers after different active cells in macros followi.
in macros row numbers remain fixed after a spreadsheet has been added a series of new rows in specific locations based on the location of the various active cells following a find command. can this be improved by automatically opening up correct new rows based on changing active cell? you can refer to the row of the cell that contained the value of the Find: dim FoundCell as range with activesheet set foundcell = .cells.find(what:=.....) end with if foundcell is nothing then 'not found else msgbox foundcell.row end if But I bet this isn't quite what you're asking.... ...

recovering deleted files
Is there anyway to recover files that were REPLACED during a restore backup. Windows 95 OS running Microsoft Money 97. Please help someone. Tried everything I know to do and my friend is frantic!! Thanks a lot. Lesa Which file are you trying to restore? If it's a .MNY file, then Windows wouldn;t replace this as there are no .MNY files in Windows that would overwrite it. You've done a search of the system for this Money file? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send ...

Address syncrhonisation between different Ex versions?
We are running Ex2003Sp1. We have an associated agency that is running Ex2k. Users in each organisation want to see the contact addresses from the other organisation in the GAL. We have no need to exchange any other information (ie public folders). We have major filewall constraints between us that makes the simplest transport mechnism to get approval for SMTP (as we already let it through). What is the simplest way to sync address info between the Orgs? I used Interorg in an early incarnation between Ex55. sites years ago but I have no experience of it since then. Most of the tech info I can...

Importing excel files into access 97
I am trying to import excel files into an access 97 database however having gone through the file and import menu the only options i have in the "Files of type" dropdown menu are ms access and ODBC database files. Excel etc are missing. I have tryed reinstalling the whole of office pro 97 with no joy. Can anyone help? Hi, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. It sounds like the Excel and Text ISAM drivers are not registered properly. If any ISAM drivers are not registered properly (mstext35.dll, msexcl35.dll) you will need to registe...

Exchange as file storage
I have a client who asked whether they can use their Exchange Account (Outlook Anywhere) as a way to storage some files. They are planning on doing that basically via files attached to emails and also to notes in Public folders. Now, I know this is generally not a good idea and I know the general Exchange storage limits. But I am trying to quantify it all a little bit. Of course it is ok to have say 25 MB worth of emails and attachments in an Exchange account. And of course, a mailbox size of say 3GB is not OK. So somewhere in between is a limit and I am trying to find out what that is. It m...

Multiple Database Files
Hello I am currently taking a class on MS SQL 2000. We currently have Great Plains 7.5 running on MS SQL 2000. The recommendation from class is to create multiple database files to increase performance, example: compdatabase.mdf,compdatabase.ndf. Is this supported by Great Plains? My concern is that if I set this up to increase performance when I request support from Great Plains, Great Plains will not support me because my company database is split into multiple files. Is anyone running a company database that is split into multiple files? Thanks for any advice you can p...

pst
Hi I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they used to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people being able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop. I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on the server. But does anyone have any idea what? Thanks Barry I am sure you have seen http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sect...

opening .csv file
Hi, I have problem with opening csv file. (W XP, Excel 2003+sp1) I want to open file automatically without "import". Delimiter in file is comma. In excel - tools - posibilities have I set "not used delimiters from system" ... I have excel 97 too and there it works. Thanks for advice... ...

Outlook 2003 Locked-up on receiving files
Hi all, Using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP All updates are applied! my PST file is only 65 MB I repaired Office, I'm using a brand new machine, 1 GB RAM, very fast machine. Just out of curosity I went to Intrenet access of my mail and it was fine. I open Outlook and it hangs on receiving email. There is two emails from family members that also keep replicating in outlook when I first open it and Outlook starts to receive emails. Thats when it locks-up. There is a outlook task icon on the bottom right that when I put my mouse over it says "Microsoft Office is Synchronizing ...