Rules vs. Download Headers Only

I have a rule set to notify me when I receive a message from a specific
person.  I also have Outlook configured to download only emails of under 20k
in size (to avoid huge download delays when picking up email in areas where
I must access via a slow connection).

Although the Header has been downloaded, and the rule is based only on
header (From:) information, it still will not run until the message has been
downloaded.  The result is that I am not aware of arrival of important email
from this person.

Has anyone come up with a way to get rules to work on headers only?

Thanks,
Scott Kelley

0
scottk1 (7)

the search to my knowledge is only done on the subject of the header till
the body is downloaded .. can you ask you person to tag the subject
*KEYWORD* then flag the rule ..

maybe there's a better way, that's just a thought.

"Scott Kelley" <scottk@iccom.com> wrote in message

> I have a rule set to notify me when I receive a message from a specific
> person.  I also have Outlook configured to download only emails of under
20k
> in size (to avoid huge download delays when picking up email in areas
where
> I must access via a slow connection).
>
> Although the Header has been downloaded, and the rule is based only on
> header (From:) information, it still will not run until the message has
been
> downloaded.  The result is that I am not aware of arrival of important
email
> from this person.
>
> Has anyone come up with a way to get rules to work on headers only?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Kelley

0
shmoes (27)
10/28/2006 5:34:11 AM
you need to download the full message for rules to kick in. can you raise
the size a little to catch most messages from this person?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Scott Kelley" <scottk@iccom.com> wrote in message

> I have a rule set to notify me when I receive a message from a specific
> person.  I also have Outlook configured to download only emails of under
> 20k in size (to avoid huge download delays when picking up email in areas
> where I must access via a slow connection).
>
> Although the Header has been downloaded, and the rule is based only on
> header (From:) information, it still will not run until the message has
> been downloaded.  The result is that I am not aware of arrival of
> important email from this person.
>
> Has anyone come up with a way to get rules to work on headers only?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Kelley

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/29/2006 7:28:40 PM
No, the typical file from him is FAR larger than would make any sense for
this rule.  And this person is only one example.  I use the same rule with
my business partners and specific employees.  Every time they send an email
with a substantial attachment, I do not get notified.

As an MVP, do you understand why Microsoft has not dealt with this?
Certainly they are aware that it is a problem...  And certainly it can't be
that difficult to set up a specific type of rule that would apply to
header-only information.

In the meantime, the question posed is;
Has anyone come up with a way to get rules to work on headers only?

In other words, has anyone come up with a work-around?

Scott

> you need to download the full message for rules to kick in. can you raise
> the size a little to catch most messages from this person?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Scott Kelley" <scottk@iccom.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a rule set to notify me when I receive a message from a specific
>> person.  I also have Outlook configured to download only emails of under
>> 20k in size (to avoid huge download delays when picking up email in areas
>> where I must access via a slow connection).
>>
>> Although the Header has been downloaded, and the rule is based only on
>> header (From:) information, it still will not run until the message has
>> been downloaded.  The result is that I am not aware of arrival of
>> important email from this person.
>>
>> Has anyone come up with a way to get rules to work on headers only?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott Kelley

0
scottk1 (7)
11/1/2006 9:00:51 PM
Outlook uses ExtendedMAPI (a requirement for Exchange support) and one
limitation of it is that it needs full messages, not just readers. OE uses
simple MAPI and can do much more with headers as a result.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> No, the typical file from him is FAR larger than would make any sense for
> this rule.  And this person is only one example.  I use the same rule with
> my business partners and specific employees.  Every time they send an
> email with a substantial attachment, I do not get notified.
>
> As an MVP, do you understand why Microsoft has not dealt with this?
> Certainly they are aware that it is a problem...  And certainly it can't
> be that difficult to set up a specific type of rule that would apply to
> header-only information.
>
> In the meantime, the question posed is;
> Has anyone come up with a way to get rules to work on headers only?
>
> In other words, has anyone come up with a work-around?
>
> Scott
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> you need to download the full message for rules to kick in. can you raise
>> the size a little to catch most messages from this person?
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

>> "Scott Kelley" <scottk@iccom.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have a rule set to notify me when I receive a message from a specific
>>> person.  I also have Outlook configured to download only emails of under
>>> 20k in size (to avoid huge download delays when picking up email in
>>> areas where I must access via a slow connection).
>>>
>>> Although the Header has been downloaded, and the rule is based only on
>>> header (From:) information, it still will not run until the message has
>>> been downloaded.  The result is that I am not aware of arrival of
>>> important email from this person.
>>>
>>> Has anyone come up with a way to get rules to work on headers only?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott Kelley

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/1/2006 9:24:22 PM
Too bad Outlook isn't made by a company that has the resources to have the
underlying code modified in whatever way necessary to make this work . . .
I guess that's what I get for trying to get by on the cheap.

0
scottk1 (7)
11/2/2006 12:51:40 AM
it's called OE.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> Too bad Outlook isn't made by a company that has the resources to have the
> underlying code modified in whatever way necessary to make this work . . .
> I guess that's what I get for trying to get by on the cheap.
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Outlook uses ExtendedMAPI (a requirement for Exchange support) and one
>> limitation of it is that it needs full messages, not just readers. OE
>> uses simple MAPI and can do much more with headers as a result.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

>> "Scott Kelley" <scottk@iccom.com> wrote in message
>>> No, the typical file from him is FAR larger than would make any sense
>>> for this rule.  And this person is only one example.  I use the same
>>> rule with my business partners and specific employees.  Every time they
>>> send an email with a substantial attachment, I do not get notified.
>>>
>>> As an MVP, do you understand why Microsoft has not dealt with this?
>>> Certainly they are aware that it is a problem...  And certainly it can't
>>> be that difficult to set up a specific type of rule that would apply to
>>> header-only information.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, the question posed is;
>>> Has anyone come up with a way to get rules to work on headers only?
>>>
>>> In other words, has anyone come up with a work-around?
>>>
>>> Scott
>>>

>>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message

0
outlookmvp (5838)
11/2/2006 2:09:51 AM
I use Outlook mostly because, in general, it has far more powerful rules.
This is the one thing that has constantly cropped up as a problem for me,
and has been giving people problems for years (search this forum, for
instance).

Beyond that, doesn't it seem odd that you would have to tell someone "our
high end product won't do that - you'll need to use our freeware" . . . ?

And, if you were in that position, wouldn't you want to at Least be able to
say "it will be in our up-coming release" ?

> it's called OE.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Scott Kelley" <scottk@iccom.com> wrote in message
>> Too bad Outlook isn't made by a company that has the resources to have
>> the underlying code modified in whatever way necessary to make this work
>> . . . I guess that's what I get for trying to get by on the cheap.
>>

>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Outlook uses ExtendedMAPI (a requirement for Exchange support) and one
>>> limitation of it is that it needs full messages, not just readers. OE
>>> uses simple MAPI and can do much more with headers as a result.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
>>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>>> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
>>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>>

>>> "Scott Kelley" <scottk@iccom.com> wrote in message

0
scottk1 (7)
11/2/2006 4:13:41 AM
It's not going to be in the upcoming release and probably won't be in the
one after this one. Microsoft is well aware that people want to do more
server-level rules processing so who knows what the future will bring - if
they can do it without losing Exchange connectivity (or by changing Exchange
connectivity), they will - but it won't be in the upcoming version.

Extended MAPI is a requirement for Exchange connectivity and it has
limitations in how it handles things, including rules and we have to live
with the limitations of ExMAPI for at least another version (probably
more) - they tried two modes of Outlook, one for Exchange and one for
everyone else and it was very confusing to many people, with some features
only available in one of the modes.

ExMAPI is generally the more powerful mail API, but can't do everything
simple MAPI can (and simple MAPI can't do everything ExMAPI does). One of
the differences is how it processes messages: full messages need to be
downloaded before most features work. This affects not only your intended
usage but also means it doesn't work "like OE does" for people who use
catch-all mailboxes and want to download only mail sent to specific
addresses or delete unwanted email from the server without downloading.

If you require rules process the mail before ExMAPI downloads them, you'll
need to use OE or another client that does not use ExMAPI. There may be 3rd
party tools (that use simple mapi) you can use to process messages at the
server and push the mail you need into outlook.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

>I use Outlook mostly because, in general, it has far more powerful rules.
>This is the one thing that has constantly cropped up as a problem for me,
>and has been giving people problems for years (search this forum, for
>instance).
>
> Beyond that, doesn't it seem odd that you would have to tell someone "our
> high end product won't do that - you'll need to use our freeware" . . . ?
>
> And, if you were in that position, wouldn't you want to at Least be able
> to say "it will be in our up-coming release" ?
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> it's called OE.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

>> "Scott Kelley" <scottk@iccom.com> wrote in message
>>> Too bad Outlook isn't made by a company that has the resources to have
>>> the underlying code modified in whatever way necessary to make this work
>>> . . . I guess that's what I get for trying to get by on the cheap.
>>>

>>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Forms Toolbar vs. Control Toolbox vs. Data Validation for drop dow
BACKGROUND: I am trying to create a drop down box that will give the user an option to select a year. From that year selected, I will then use the output with the OFFSET formula to go grab data from another tab. QUESTIONS: 1.For a drop down menu, when should I use the Forms toolbar options vs. when do I use the Control Toolbox options vs. when should I use Data Validation to create my drop down menu? 2.In general, when would I use the Forms toolbar and when should I be using the Control Toolbox? They seem similar. Thanks in advance for your help. -Scott There is no reason you ...

Either \ or conditions in rules
Is it possible in Outlook 2003 to create a rule with either \ or conditions, eg If the message has certain words in the subject line OR if there are certain words in the body of the message? As far as I can see, you can only create conditions linked with AND. In that scenario, you would need to create two separate rules, each with = the same actions.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers ...

rules based on recipient address
We have one mailbox that has different email addresses that point to it. We have within this mailbox folders. Depending on what email address mail was sent to we want rules to move them into the relevent folder. Outlook and/or Exchange shows the name of the account in the 'to' feild so that our rules do not work as they are based on where the email was sent. how can we get over this? IE main is Internet. Mail sent to web@here.com should go to Internet but then get moved to the 'WEB' folder based on the web@here.com address. But Internet is showing in the recpient field. ...

Downloading Home and Student when i have the disc version
Just got lovely new netbook from Santa, have the hard copy of office 2007 with plenty of licenses, can I download and use my existing product key? If so how?! Merry Christmas, steve Steve H&S you can install on a desktop or laptop or netbook. Just install it and use the telephone method for activation. You will see the phone number on the Activation screen -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "StevieP" <StevieP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Sent Message Rule
I know this is an Outlook ng. but I'm using Outlook Express and can't seem to create a rule that copies my sent messages to a particular folder. 2 e-mail addresses in one Account. I want to send the sent messages from the Sent Items folder to another. TB The Bear <buck_roggers@hotmail.com> wrote: > I know this is an Outlook ng. but I'm using Outlook Express Then you should ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress is one. -- Brian Tillman ...

Color rule
Hi I would like to use colors to change an email when received from 1 of a group of like 60 people. (All 60 senders I would like to color their email when recieved) I am limited by the number of color rules that I am allowed to put into place. I am unable to create one rule for the group of users as well, as I get an error and outlook closes on me. There is probably a very simple script that can be written but I am not that familiar with writing those. I have tried to assign category through a rule on the list of these people, but it will not allow me to upload to the exchange ...

Message Rules
Why don't the message rules work? I keep making messages to block the word Viagra (any combination of spelling variations) and numerous other words, and delete the messages. I have over 400 rule, most about Viagra, and NONE of them are working. What exactly are you specifying? See http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm The rules are the same in WinMail except they added the junk folder. steve "Darrell Bartels" <Darrell Bartels@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B3A29A3-739A-433A-9A2C-7EF6ED93EA08@microsoft.com... > Why don't the mes...

How do I set up Server Rule to move Emails to a an Exchange 2007 public Folder?
Dear Exchange people, We are using Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007. I have emails that come in every day that need to be moved to an Exchange public folder based on words in the emails subject. I set up a rule in Outlook 2003 to move it to the public folder automatically and it usually works when Outlook is open, but I need it to just run on the server and not require Outlook to be open to run it. Would anyone be so kind and friendly as to share with me an example of how to get it to work on the server and not require the Outlook client to process it? Thanks in...

Problem Downloading from my bank to Money 2006
Money has suddenly stopped showing my electronic (downloaded) transactions from my Washington Mutual bank accounts. All my other accounts are fine, and this does not appear to be a problem with Money 2005 (I would revert if I could) nor was it a problem last week with Money 2006. My bank's tech support is beyond un-helpful. Any ideas? ...

ADO vs. DAO
For years now MS has suggested using ADO as DAO is obsolete. However, I still see MVP's giving code solutions using DAO. Not being critical here, simply curious to know why ADO solutions are not given more frequently. Any observations y'all like share?Regards, Jack Hudson Jack Hudson wrote:> For years now MS has suggested using ADO as DAO is obsolete. However, I still > see MVP's giving code solutions using DAO. Not> being critical here, simply curious to know why ADO solutions are not> given more frequently. Any observations y'all like share?>> Regards,...

Rules in Error
I have a number of rules in place to reduce spam by permanently deleting certain messages upon their arrival based on content. But every day the "Rules in Error" window pops up with the message "You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation" and the applicable rule is deactivated from that point on. This seems to occur randomly for no particular reason. If I subsequently run the rule manually, the messages are then deleted. Is there a way to stop this? ...

paste value vs type value (formula not working)
Hi. I have a formula that works just fine, as long as i paste the values from the original list and not type the numbers in. There are no hidden spaces (that I know of), but when I type the same value that I have in my orignial list, the formula gives me an error (#N/A). When I copy and paste values (from the original list) it works just fine. Any clues? (an array formula) =INDEX(TSCA_REQ,MATCH(1,(B202>=TSCA_MIN)*(B202<=TSCA_MAX),0)) HI Jeremy If its an ARRAY Formula, you must press Control-Shift-Enter, Try it and see Good Luck Cimjet "J.W. Aldridge" <jeremy.w.aldrid...

Outlook2003: Display rules disappear (Tools/Organize/Colors/Automatic..)
Hi all, Some help needed re rules created in Tools/Organize/Colors/Automatic..: Those rules disappear randomly and without obvious reason. Some of them move to an other folder, where they are useless. Is there any way to save/restore those rules in order to avoid rekeying everything again and again? Where are they located? Are they accessible? Thanks for your help, Bibif they are stored in views - did you change views on the folder where you lost them? The best way to keep them is to copy the current view or make a new view and set the rules. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] ...

Emulate Out of Office Assistant in a rule?
I want to be able to emulate the OoO assistant in a server side rule, specifically I want it to only reply once to each recipient. Currently we have several customer service and tech support mailboxes that have server side reply rules that reply with a template directing them to our website for support. However, this rule EASILY gets caught up in loops to the point where I have to check it daily and turn off the rule temporarily to break the loop. I would use the Out of office assistant on the mailboxes, but the subject text "Out of Office:" seems to be static which wouldn...

Message Rules Unavailable (2002)
Running Outlook 2002, I don't seem to have the "message rules" installed. I did select Junk-Mail during custom setup, but no rules option under Tools. Also when right clicking on a message there is "Junk Email" but it results in a blank submenu. I seem to be missing the rules wizard. How can I remedy this? Thanks B "Battleax" <unavailable@thistime.net> wrote in message news:0radnYU5TeeI6XeiRVn-iQ@magma.ca... > Running Outlook 2002, I don't seem to have the "message rules" installed. I > did select Junk-Mail during custom setup, b...

OL 2007 Rules
Hello people, I am having some weird problems with the rules in Outlook.They seem to stop working after awhile. I have to create a new one for them to start working again. I running Outlook 2007 (12.0.6423.1000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000) Anyone else having any issues with rules? Thanks Mark ...

column header needs '#' symbol
I need to export a query (to excel format) for use in uploading data to a system. That system requires specific column headers on the upload file. One of the column headers needs to be: File # (no quotes) The data in the query field is File #: Right([datafield],6). The displayed header is fine, but when exporting, the # symbol is replaced with a period. I tried converting it in sql using cstr(), however that resulted in a column header of "File ." (including the quotes). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this? -- cm ...

Rules, Rules, Rules
I am trying to make a rule that tells people I am out of office because I don't have an out of office menu (do not use Exchange). When I select "reply using a specific template" I run into a problem. I do not have any "Standard Templates" loaded so I want to create one under "User Template in File System". But this is looking for a *.oft file. What is a *.oft file and how do I create one? Any other way to accomplish making this rule? Create your out of office message using Outlook's mail editor, not word. then use file->save as->outlook templ...

Remove "group by" header bar
Hello all. How do I remove the grey bar above my messages that says "Drag a column header here to group by that column." I had my messages group by something at one time, have removed that grouping and can't get this bar to leave. Thanks for the help. Display the Advanced Toolbar and click once on the Group By button. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head-scratching, Josep...

isv.config: ValidForUpdate vs. ValidForCreate
Hello! I want to have button in the ToolBar only for updates. And I want another button in the ToolBar only for create. When I write ------------------------ <ToolBar ValidForCreate="0" ValidForUpdate="1"> <Button Title="ValidForUpdate" ToolTip="only for update..." Icon="/_imgs/ico_18_debug.gif" Url="something.htm" PassParams="0" WinParams="height=600,width=800,status=no,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no,scrollbars=yes" WinMode="0"/> </ToolBar> <ToolBar ValidForCreate="1&qu...

Copy Local Message Rule
I've created a complicated message rule for filtering that I would like to put on other client machines. Can I copy it? Is this possible? WIn2k server/ Exchange 2k w/all current SPs. STEVE ...

Header on first page only
I'm trying to get a custom header to only print on the first page. I must be missing something, after spending quite a while trying to get it to do this simple task I'm starting to lose my mind. Any help would be much appreciated. Dirk V. Hi see: http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#Header -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Vanman345 wrote: > I'm trying to get a custom header to only print on the first page. I > must be missing something, after spending quite a while trying to get > it to do this simple task I'm starting to lose my mind. Any help &g...

rules wizard #39
Is there a reason I can't cut and paste from and e-mail into the rules wizard? There is so much spma coming with creative spelling , accent marks etc. It would be so much easier to just cut and paste them in the rules wizard. Thanks, RW ...

Outlook 2003
I have created several active mail accounts in MS Office Pro 2003 Outlook. I wish to create a rule that sends a message addressed to a certain one of the accounts to a specific folder. The problem is, when creating the rule and selecting the account I wish the rule to apply to everything is fine until I click OK or Apply. Then the account is changed by Outlook to a different account. (Neither of the accounts in question is the default account) Try as I might I cannot get Outlook to accept the account I wish to use the rule with. It is a valid account and receives mail without a probl...

Quicken vs Money
Probably a stupid thread to start here. But I now have Money 2005. It is slow but otherwise very usefull. I use to be a die hard quicken user but switched a few years ago. Thought I would use budging a little more and licked money budgeting features. I am thinking of switch back to quicken. I notice that the new version, released yesterday, has the ability to attach electronic documents to transaction. Can money do this? What about Money 2006? In microsoft.public.money, Frank A Spina wrote: >Probably a stupid thread to start here. But I now have Money 2005. It is >slow but ot...