Retrieving messages

Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer did not 
crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up the 
application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are all 
the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program needs 
to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance greatly 
appreciated. Thanks. P89
0
8/19/2006 1:28:01 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

5 Replies
907 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file 
called Outlook.pst.  If you have that you can import all the information.

Al


"peterson89" <peterson89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:3ACE9B80-337F-4EF4-938F-28380511F8B5@microsoft.com...
> Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer did 
> not
> crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up the
> application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are 
> all
> the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program 
> needs
> to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance 
> greatly
> appreciated. Thanks. P89 


0
8/19/2006 2:24:36 PM
Dont import the pst data, Within OL, File>Open>Data File.......browse to
location of the pst

"Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eLSTls5wGHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file
> called Outlook.pst.  If you have that you can import all the information.
>
> Al
>
>
> "peterson89" <peterson89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3ACE9B80-337F-4EF4-938F-28380511F8B5@microsoft.com...
> > Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer
did
> > not
> > crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up
the
> > application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are
> > all
> > the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program
> > needs
> > to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance
> > greatly
> > appreciated. Thanks. P89
>
>


0
DL
8/19/2006 3:44:18 PM
Unfortunately, no backup was made
-- 
P89


"DL" wrote:

> Dont import the pst data, Within OL, File>Open>Data File.......browse to
> location of the pst
> 
> "Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eLSTls5wGHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file
> > called Outlook.pst.  If you have that you can import all the information.
> >
> > Al
> >
> >
> > "peterson89" <peterson89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:3ACE9B80-337F-4EF4-938F-28380511F8B5@microsoft.com...
> > > Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer
> did
> > > not
> > > crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up
> the
> > > application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are
> > > all
> > > the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program
> > > needs
> > > to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance
> > > greatly
> > > appreciated. Thanks. P89
> >
> >
> 
> 
> 
0
8/19/2006 5:55:02 PM
You stated you restored OL defaults, I assume you didnt also Clean Install
Win.
Your pst / data file will be still there, unless you specifically deleted it
Search, to include hidden for *.pst - if it finds none your search settings
are wrong -

"peterson89" <peterson89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EDB20CBC-9953-4A22-94F4-14B5F62745E4@microsoft.com...
> Unfortunately, no backup was made
> -- 
> P89
>
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > Dont import the pst data, Within OL, File>Open>Data File.......browse to
> > location of the pst
> >
> > "Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:eLSTls5wGHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > > If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file
> > > called Outlook.pst.  If you have that you can import all the
information.
> > >
> > > Al
> > >
> > >
> > > "peterson89" <peterson89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:3ACE9B80-337F-4EF4-938F-28380511F8B5@microsoft.com...
> > > > Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the
computer
> > did
> > > > not
> > > > crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set
up
> > the
> > > > application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is:
are
> > > > all
> > > > the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the
program
> > > > needs
> > > > to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any
assistance
> > > > greatly
> > > > appreciated. Thanks. P89
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >


0
DL
8/19/2006 7:24:46 PM
Great, found the .pst file and was able to retrieve my inbox. Thanks very 
much. P89
-- 
New user


"DL" wrote:

> You stated you restored OL defaults, I assume you didnt also Clean Install
> Win.
> Your pst / data file will be still there, unless you specifically deleted it
> Search, to include hidden for *.pst - if it finds none your search settings
> are wrong -
> 
> "peterson89" <peterson89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:EDB20CBC-9953-4A22-94F4-14B5F62745E4@microsoft.com...
> > Unfortunately, no backup was made
> > -- 
> > P89
> >
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> > > Dont import the pst data, Within OL, File>Open>Data File.......browse to
> > > location of the pst
> > >
> > > "Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:eLSTls5wGHA.4596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > > > If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file
> > > > called Outlook.pst.  If you have that you can import all the
> information.
> > > >
> > > > Al
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "peterson89" <peterson89@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:3ACE9B80-337F-4EF4-938F-28380511F8B5@microsoft.com...
> > > > > Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the
> computer
> > > did
> > > > > not
> > > > > crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set
> up
> > > the
> > > > > application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is:
> are
> > > > > all
> > > > > the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the
> program
> > > > > needs
> > > > > to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any
> assistance
> > > > > greatly
> > > > > appreciated. Thanks. P89
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> 
> 
> 
0
8/23/2006 11:10:02 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to retrieve the string from dialog box
Hi All, Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line for users to be aware of it in my application. I don't know how to retrieve the string in IDC_STATIC control on a dialog box. It would be very nice that someone let me know how to do that without calling the dialog box. TIA Hwasoo Lee Back 9 wrote: > Hi All, > > Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? > I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line &g...

Shortcut for composing message?
Is there a quick way for me to open the "new message" window using Outlook 2003? I often want to quickly write an e-mail and it's a bit of a pain to have to open Outlook (from the system tray - a nice feature of OL2K3) and the click on "new". Is there some kind of keyboard shortcut? Or some add-on that makes this possible? Cheers. Bobby "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message news:%23HLAKxCuDHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is there a quick way for me to open the "new message" window using Outlook > 2003? I often want to quickly ...

retrieve an AVERAGE of a range using VLOOKUP to locate start/end d
Can I calculate the average of a range based on VLOOKUP? In other words, can I get Excel to "look up" the respective START / END dates of an investment position listed in Sheet 1 and then go and locate those 2 distinct cell values in in a different sheet (Sheet 2) utilizing VLOOKUP function and then return the calculated AVERAGE of the cells within that range back into Sheet 1? Appreciate any thoughts if doable in Excel in any way? tAKE A LOOK AT AverageIFS and see if that does what you want. If it were me, I'd probably enter the formula manually, record the resu...

Message Recall Failure #2
Help! - I recently recalled a message to someone who had Out of Office Auto Reply Set and have since been inundated (50+) Message Recall Failure messages. I am running Outlook 2002 on Windows XP Home Edition. Would welcome any suggestions on stopping this. Thanks in advance. ...

Certain messages cause OE to close
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01CAA0D6.201BD1A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Opening certain messages (many) in my OE causes it to automatically shut = down. I can't tell what are the specific characteristic of the emails = that cause this. I've disabled my AVG anti virus/email checker with no = improvement. Security settings in OE seem normal. Maybe something = corrupt in my OE? JK ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01CAA0D6.201BD1A0 Content-Type: text/html; chars...

MTA warning message
Good day, i've been receiving a lot of warning msg concerning association recovery... "Association Recovery Failed - Original RTSE Control Block 2009 in wrong state 25. [PLATFORM RTSE 26 156] (14) " I;ve read some articles on technet, but they were stating network problems to be the cause (with other event id been repeeted in the eventvwr)... in my case, i just have the same event id appearing. Do I have to be concerned with this error or could it be on the remote side? Thank you in advance for your help. Alesandro. ...

Close Message box
I have created a message box with the following: Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If ([REASON1] = 1 And [PLATFORM] = "QL" And [CLIENT_CARRIER_CODE] = "lzboy") Then MsgBox "Please check elegibility on RxClaim for DOF!" Me.PLATFORM.SetFocus '<---Assumption: control name is 'Platform" Cancel = True End If ExitProc: Exit Sub ProcError: MsgBox "Error" & Err.Number & ":" & Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error in procedure Form_BeforeUpdate..." Resume ExitProc End Sub What this does...

Retrieve mouse position
Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! xg >Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates >even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! Have you tried calling GetCursorPos? If you want to know when the mouse is moving I think you'll need to use a hook - have a look at SetWindowsHookEx WH_MOUSE. Dave IN addition to David's answer, you have not stated the problem you are trying to solve. For examp...

Problem -- Personal.XLS is being modified message keeps poping up.
When I open any workbook using Excel 97 and then try to open another instance of Excel, I always get a message saying something like, " Personal.xls is being modified by 'me' ." I certainly am not deliberately modifying personal.xls. When I change its attribute to 'read only' this does not happen. Can someone tell me what might be causing this message by trying to modify personal.xls and what I can do about it? Thank you. A follow on to this problem. With no other instance of Exel running that I am able to detect, if I try to open personal.xls, I get a message...

Can't display message
Over night outlook (xp) has started diplaying a message 'this html message contains a script which outlook cannot display. This may affect how the message appears.' when I try and view my Daily Dilbert e-mail. Can anyone give me any suggestion why this is as I can't seem to make it work. I have now solved the problem by doing a repair and re-setting to default settings. The error message doesn't come up anymore, which is quite bizzare as the default security settings are higher than what they were at when I couldn't get the email. "Vanguard" <rztqf6v02-NIX...

Error messages on startup.
We have WinXP SP3. On starting up the computer we get the following error messages: 1/ "Product Identification Failure" Please reinstall the Program. then we get: 2/ "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library. Program C... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. then we get: 3/ "Office Settings Restorer" has encountered a problem & needs to close. Can someone please help in fixing this problem? Frank Start off b...

Duplicate messages coming into inbox
We had a problem with 7040 messages re-coming into our inbox from June 2009 through April 2010 this past Saturday. We had turned our computer off for the first time in 30 days. We are using 5 different email accounts within the same version of Outlook and only the MSN email account gave us duplicates. We called their support and they said there was no server outage or anything that might have caused this duplication. Now we're trying to find the Outlook set up that might be causing the problem. All of our email settings use POP/STMP in Tools/Account Settings on the Email tab....

Why is our NNTP connector limiting messages?
We just recently switched over from Exchange 2000 SP3 to Exchange 2003 SP1. I moved all of the newsgroups via PFMIGRATE. The ESM and Outlook 2000 (in Exchange mode) say we have hundreds of messages in a PF, but Outlook Express and other newsgroup readers using NNTP only see the last 7 days worth of messages. It would appear the NNTP connector is filtering messages, but I can't see where. Is this perhaps a default I can override somewhere? Thanks. ...

Exchange 2003 mailbox setup to receive all messages from the other mail accounts?
Is it possible to setup an email account, in Exchange 2003, which transparently receives all the email messages sent by the other mail accounts on the domain? By transparently I mean that the employees shouldn't be aware of this configuration. I have this company which currently has its email handled by an external service company which runs MailEnable Enterprise email server. On the server side there is a mailbox, which receives all the mail sent-by and addressed-to all the other email accounts on the domain. The two VPs have access to this mailbox, so they can have records and contro...

Message size limit settings/Ex2010
Hi All. I have a Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010 in the same site communicating just fine. I created a new mailbox database on the Ex2010 server called Journal Mailbox Database, and in this database I have a user which I use for Journaling. The Ex2003 and 2010 server both use this user for Journaling. I am getting some messages stuck in the Submission Queue, Message source name Default:Ex2010 server, .SendSizeLimit.Sender; message too large for this sender. These messages are above the 10meg default limit that Exchange defaults to, and they are all going to the Journaling us...

Retrieving comment using range name
I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the referenced ranges (singular cells)? Thanks in advance, Tomek Set testrng = Range("A3:A4", "C3:C4") comment1 = testrng(1).Comment.Text .... commentn = testrng(n).Comment.Text Stefi „topola” ezt írta: > I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range > names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the > referenced ranges (singular cells)? > Thanks in advance, > Tomek > > did yo...

Retrieving messages
Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer did not crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up the application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are all the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program needs to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks. P89 If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file called Outlook.pst. If you have that you can import all the information. Al "peterson89" <peterson...

Retrieving lost messages after Synchronization in Outlook Express
Setup for my hotmail messages to be downloaded to Outlook Express. When tried to connect to see an old message, didn't realize that it was setup to auto synch. My messages were deleted from hotmail, and are now lost on Outlook Express after synching. Is there anyway to retrieve the lost messages from Outlook Express? I really needed some of the items in there, and had downloaded them so they wouldn't be lost. Thanks! ...

Auto-Reply messages
From the reading I've been doing on this subjet it appears that Outlook sends only one Auto-Reply Out-of-Office message to each e-mail that it recieves a message from. For example, the first time JohnDoe@xyz.com sends a message to a user that has an OOF set, the sender will recieve the OOF message. If JohnDoe sends a second (or third, or tenth) message to that same user he will not recieve additional OOF messages. Is there a way to change this behavior? I realize that it is a risk, but I'd like every incoming message to be replied to regardless of whether the sender has sent...

Exchange 2003 Mailbox quota message
I'know NDR's can't be customized without MCS, but can't the Mailbox Quota alerts be. Also, doesn't the mailbox quota comes in different language, depending your Outlook language ( although, it generated by the server, so maybe it's only server language )... Thanks !!! -- I believe that the language for these messages is the one that's configured by the language of the Outlook or OWA client that first opens the mailbox. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Thinkpad21" <thinkpad21@yahoo.c...

Retrieve
Hi how do i retrieve all the postings i have posted in this group. sometimes forget of where i posted my i will be glad to get to know how to pull out my own questions cheers Click on your name to view the profile...Then click 'Recent posts by this user' http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&p=1&tid=467a932d-65b6-4bb1-98e1-25def53a971a&mid=467a932d-65b6-4bb1-98e1-25def53a971a -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Amin" wrote: > Hi how ...

Message Size Limit #4
Dear all, Current Mailbox Server = Exchange Server 5.5 with SP4 installed on NT4 domain Current Bridgehead Server with IMC service running = Exchange Server 5.5 with SP4 installed on NT4 domain I used to set mailbox user to have 2000 bytes size restriction for their outgoing mail Today I have increaser their message size for outgoing to 5000 bytes On bridgehead server, I do not set size limit for message size. However during my testing sending mails that are >4Mb, 5Mb, 6Mb & 7Mb, I consistently receve the following error message. May I know why? Ta. Your message did not reach s...

What happened to scroll message handler for CDialog
We have updated to C.Net at work and in adding a slider to a CDialog I went to handle the event from the dialog box as ususal and I couldn't find it. I also noticed that many of the layout tools are no longer working. What's going on. As far as I know everything still works the same. As for the layout problem I can't help you. But the scroll messages of the slider go to your CDialog class. capture the WM_HSCROLL message. Don't forget to compare the hwnd that is passed to you with your slider control to make sure the slider is the one who sent the message to you. Ali R....

Retrieving
Is there any way to retrieve how many web pages are opened by Internet Explorer, and what URLs are opened by it, from another process? I searched for IHTMLDocument5 and so on, however, I could't find any hint. Please reply. Thanks in advance. Regards, Hyun-jik Bae ...

Start-up message
I have message from my removed software every time I start Outlook: The add-in: C:\Program Files\Psion\PsiWin\pwolplug.dll could not be installed or loaded ... Where is this info hidding for Outlook? How it could be removed? Thanks! ...