Restoring old email from backed up pst file

Not sure if anyone can assist but here goes
I had a bit of a problem with a hard drive and thankfully most recent backup
was within the previous 3 weeks (personal computer)
I had backed up the saved email on outlook as the pst file but when I go to
import I get a message  "properties for this information service must be
defined prior to  use". and then when I click on OK the message
"The file C:\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft
\outlook\backup.pst is not a personal folders file".
Of course, nothing happens.
Can anyone give me a bit of guidance.  Unfortunately, there are a few emails
that I would dearly like to recover and I am stumped.

Many thanks in advance.

Bob

0
robthom (1)

Where is this backup .pst file located?

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Bob asked:

| Not sure if anyone can assist but here goes
| I had a bit of a problem with a hard drive and thankfully most recent
| backup was within the previous 3 weeks (personal computer)
| I had backed up the saved email on outlook as the pst file but when I
| go to import I get a message  "properties for this information
| service must be defined prior to  use". and then when I click on OK
| the message "The file C:\windows\local settings\application
| data\microsoft \outlook\backup.pst is not a personal folders file".
| Of course, nothing happens.
| Can anyone give me a bit of guidance.  Unfortunately, there are a few
| emails that I would dearly like to recover and I am stumped.
|
| Many thanks in advance.
|
| Bob

0
MillyS (3228)
6/6/2006 2:06:44 AM
How did you copy and transport this file? If you copied onto storage medium
you must place it on your hard drive and remove the read only attribute it
acquired from being stored. Also, importing is not the best way to access
it. Just open it in Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Bob" <robthom@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Not sure if anyone can assist but here goes
> I had a bit of a problem with a hard drive and thankfully most recent
> backup
> was within the previous 3 weeks (personal computer)
> I had backed up the saved email on outlook as the pst file but when I go
> import I get a message  "properties for this information service must be
> defined prior to  use". and then when I click on OK the message
> "The file C:\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft
> \outlook\backup.pst is not a personal folders file".
> Of course, nothing happens.
> Can anyone give me a bit of guidance.  Unfortunately, there are a few
> emails
> that I would dearly like to recover and I am stumped.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Bob

0
russval1 (2100)
6/6/2006 2:08:58 AM
Bob <robthom@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> when I click on OK
> the message "The file C:\windows\local settings\application
> data\microsoft \outlook\backup.pst is not a personal folders file".

There's a large chance that this PST is junk.  Typically, when Outlook
displays that message the PST is unrecoverable.  How did you create that
PST?
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)

email signature 05-16-10
copying and pasting a new email signature and picture not visible on outgoing mail but wording is ..could i have changed picture configurations by mistake? What version of Outlook are you using? What format is your outgoing message in? (Plain Text? Rich Text? HTML?) -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCA40D6C-F184-4...

old MSVCRT.dll
Hi, i want to use a in vc developed tool on a winnt machine. So i copied all needed DLLs in the application directory. So far so good. The problem is, that the NT 4.0 loads the msvcrt.dll from the system32 directory, and not the newer version from the installation directory. I cannot overwrite the old version, because the NT uses that DLL permanentely... When I am starting my program, he says "Entroy Point Not Found" (__lc_collate_cp). Can I influence the way he tries to load that DLL? Its the same problem, when I use a static linked version of my program. Thanks for all hints, ...

StgOpenStorageEx and FAT, vs. NTFS file properties..
hi there, I want to store some information in the properties of a file. The file is an xml/txt file, and it works nicely on my c:\ drive wich is NTFS, but when i drag it to my usb device, that is FAT. I get a warning stating: The extra information attached to the file might be lost... Document Summary Info continue ? yes /no. the data is lost. I tried to take a word file, and manually change its properties, and the infomation is preserved. my question is basically how do I preserve the properties in a file stored on FAT? Should i use a different approach than this one: IPropertyStorage *pProp...

I want Lookout back
Hi, WDS is nice, but slow and inccurate. I want my Lookout back. Is it possible to run Lookout with Outlook 2007? Thanks Paul -- Paul Goldmann Dear Microsoft, I can't seem to locate LOOKOUT for OUTLOOK. If this is intentional 'just say so'. Don't lead us on a 'wild goose chase'. If you want us to use the 'new' Windows Desktop Seach, make the thing available! Your actions help me to understand Cuba and Europe's migration to Linux. The direct download link on Microsoft’s site works (oops! No, it doesn’t), but here’s the irony - if you look o...

EMail Rejection ... sometimes
Hi Everyone, About 1 month ago we migrated from a W2K/Exchange 5.5 server to a W2K3/Exchange 2003 server. The 5.5 server has been deprecated. From time to time, incoming messages are being rejected from users that at times they come thru. I'm suspecting a DNS problem but really don't have any idea of what is going on. Again, we have received emails from this user many times and this is happening with several users randomly. Here is a sample of what one of those users is getting when the message gets rejected by our server: Reporting-MTA: dns;mtlsmtp.bis.adp.com Received-From...

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

Windows6.1-KB917607 Help file 86.msu or 64.msu?
I have upgraded to Windows 7 and am trying to download WinHlp32.exe for Office from the MS web site. I've validated and jumped through the hoops, but as is so often the case Microsoft has left me hanging. See, there is no link to download WinHlp32.exe as such, only to a choice of two: Windows6.1-KB917607 - 64.msu or Windows6.1-KB917607 - 86.msu. It says to download the version most suitable, but doesn't tell you how to tell. It tells you how to identify whether you have a 32bit or 64bit version of W7, which I know anyway, but how does that relate to a 64.msu/86.msu choice...

I cannot send emails
The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Fw: Vests & Chaps on Sale', Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I am getting the same message. All was fine this morning and I changed nothing on my e-mail now I also get that message pop up and can not send e-mails. "carol" wrote: > The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Fw: Vests & Chaps on Sale', > Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: &...

Excel docs won't open from clicking file
I have a strange issue us Excel 2002. When I double-click on an excel document it only open the excel program and not the doc. I can then go to file|open and open it just fine and work on it etc. Excel seems to be OK other than this strange issue. Word and the other office programs don't do this at all??? I have checked and verified all folder options | files types, their associated open commands etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks- Hi Have a look at Tools/Option/General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications' if it's checked. Andy. "jayman" ...

Outlook OST file
Hello: I need assistance on importing or extracting the data from an ost file. Does anyone know how to convert or extract the data from an ost file to something I can manipulate or view my data? Thanks, Shawn There used to be a tool called OST2PST.EXE that would export Offline Storage (OST) files into Personal Storage (PST) format. I believe this has now become "Exchange Recovery". Try going to www.google.com and searching for OST2PST for information. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01da01...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Email of Statements
Can you use another pdf Writer other than Adobe for this feature No, you must use Adobe to use this particular feature. Kind of odd, isn't it? -- Charles Allen, MVP "rcr" wrote: > Can you use another pdf Writer other than Adobe for this feature yes and no. When print to pdf was added - 6.0 i think - there weren't many other options for creating pdf's. OK, now there are. But OK which ones do we add support for? Them all? Support for PDF output must support being able to automatically name the created output file without intervention. And I assume many bu...

Old address displaying
When typing the recipients address in the to: field its displays his old email as well as his new email address. How can I stop the OLD address from displaying Tab down to the old address and press delete. If this is not available in your version of Outlook, then your bad for not posting the version. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Dexter asked: | When typing the recipients ...

Unable to move my file to a new computer
I recently installed 2005 deluxe, and 2 weeks later purchased a new computer and I am unable to transfer the file to my new computer. I have tried to copy the .mny file the backup file to my new computer but am unable to to have money open it after I put my password in. It says it is either write protected (which I do not believe it is),or other types of errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have spent a lot of time on this issue. Tom Third time in twenty minutes. What was Microsoft thinking? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=177. It should help. "TD" <...

emails to more than one person in crm
When we send a CRM email the To: menu only looks at the Outlook(email address book) contact folders. I know how to add additional contact folders(email address book) to choose from in Outlook by checking the "show this folder as outlook email address book" in the properties of the contact folder. I would like to know if that can be done in crm. ...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Importing a PST File #2
Further to my previous Posts. 1. I have backed up the outlook.pst file to CD using NERO 2. I have restored the outlook.pst file to a seperate folder 3. I have checked the file attribute and made sure the archive bit is off 4. I have run the scanpst program over the outlook.pst file. SCANPST came up with a large number of errors (I have the file). An example is: !!PMap page @6112768: PTYPE mismatch (read 00, expected 83) !!PMap page @6112768: BID mismatch (read 0, expected 5D4600) When I open or import the outlook.pst file, there are 2 empty folders... recovered and deleted. Any s...

Linking Switchboard button to a .doc file
Thanks in advance for the help. I would like create a menu within my database switchboard that will lead to a directions page that will assist in using each of my sub-menus within the switchboard. I have created these directions as Word documents that contain text and embedded pictures of the menus or windows. How do I import a .doc extension into the database in order to have it link to a menu button? Can I do this if the .doc resides outside of the database? I envision the user clicking a switchboard menu button and linking to a set of directions with a .doc extension. The .doc file wo...

How to set up incoming Outlk emails to go to an addl email addres
How can I set up one e-mail address to automatically receive incoming messages going to another e-mail in Outlook? You can set up a rule to auto-forward emails received by one email account to another by using the Rules Wizard. However, depending upon the type of mail account you have, you might have to leave Outlook on for the rule to stay in effect. Please advise. -- Kathleen Orland Please support me in my efforts: SPCA Friends for Life 2010 Walk-A-Thon http://ontariospca.akaraisin.com/p/kathleenorland.aspx "Miss Polly" <Miss Polly@discussions.microsoft.com...

Can't open files on more than one computer
I created a template file of a Christmas card for My class, but when I tried to open the template on more that one computer at a time I received a error message. The error was telling me that the file was in use by another computer and would not open. I thought that was the reason I created the template file in the first place but I Guess I was wrong. Having told the children that we were going to make a Christmas card I needed to come up with a solution to this problem so I saved the card on a disk and went around the room and opened the file and to save time I made three copy’s o...

That old Invoice toolbar in Excel 97's Invoice Template
With the invoice template that shipped with Excel 97, there was an Invoice Toolbar with a "Capture Data in a Database" button which lead to a wizard to help you create a list to store your invoices. Does anyone what (if anything) would be the equivalent functionality in Excel 2003? I was having the same problem as you but to fix it I went to Add/Remove Programs and then Installed Microsoft Templates. When I initially installed it I only got the general template but when I did this the Invoice template was there again. I still can not find the toolbar but if you go to Macros the fun...

Bringing up Old Files in Excel 2003
Hi: I just installed Office 2003. I tried to bring up an old file and it will not come up. It gives me a message about it having a virus (which it does not have). How can I get the old file to come up? Thanks Is the message you get more like "this workbook contains macros, which could contain viruses" or similar? You don't say which version of Excel files are "old", but you may have been running Excel97 with "macro checking" turned off or 2000 with macro security at "low". Tools>Options>Security. Check your settings. Turn to "low...

Not able to open .pst file in Outlook 2007
Hi, I am trying to open Outlook 2003 .pst file in Office 2007. However, it is giving me this error: Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using. Pls help. ________________________________________ " If you think you can, and if you think you can't, then you are right"- Henry ford How are you trying to open the PST file? Run Outlook 2007 then use File | Open ..... -- Bill R MVP "Shilps" <shilpi_sri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:FBE11110-4F8A-4926-9020-F222ADAEDD63@microsoft.com... &...