restoring my .pst file

Hello,
For a good few years I've been saving my .pst file to my data drive so when
it comes to installing a new OS and office apps,  I generally move the .pst
file from it's default location C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook then when outlook opens and can't find it, I
navigate  to my data drive and load it from  there.  I don't know if this is
to be  particulaly recommended as I think it  is  still the  old format .pst
file I used with office 2000.
This always worked pretty well with previous versions of outlook, but with
2003 I doesnt seem to show my tasks, calendar contacts etc under the
personal folders.  I don't really understand what action personal folder
perform, but I'd like all my othe folders to sit  beneath it.  Can't  find
the contacts folder from the address book either.
thanks for any insightful comments

Rich

The correct way to migrate an Outlook data file is explained in Help Files:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx
Essentially, you first open the file in an Outlook profile, designate it to
be your default, then restart Outlook and close its original PST file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Ritch_Ratch" <listmail@gotakeahike.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello,
> For a good few years I've been saving my .pst file to my data drive so
> when it comes to installing a new OS and office apps,  I generally move
> the .pst file from it's default location C:\Documents and
> Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook then when outlook opens
> and can't find it, I navigate  to my data drive and load it from  there.
> I don't know if this is to be  particulaly recommended as I think it  is
> still the  old format .pst file I used with office 2000.
> This always worked pretty well with previous versions of outlook, but with
> 2003 I doesnt seem to show my tasks, calendar contacts etc under the
> personal folders.  I don't really understand what action personal folder
> perform, but I'd like all my othe folders to sit  beneath it.  Can't  find
> the contacts folder from the address book either.
> thanks for any insightful comments
>
> Rich

0
russval1 (2100)
1/29/2007 8:41:08 PM
Thank you Russ,
I wonder if this is why outlook crashes intermittently>
Rich

> The correct way to migrate an Outlook data file is explained in Help
> Files:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx
> Essentially, you first open the file in an Outlook profile, designate it
> to be your default, then restart Outlook and close its original PST file.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Ritch_Ratch" <listmail@gotakeahike.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> For a good few years I've been saving my .pst file to my data drive so
>> when it comes to installing a new OS and office apps,  I generally move
>> the .pst file from it's default location C:\Documents and
>> Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook then when outlook opens
>> and can't find it, I navigate  to my data drive and load it from  there.
>> I don't know if this is to be  particulaly recommended as I think it  is
>> still the  old format .pst file I used with office 2000.
>> This always worked pretty well with previous versions of outlook, but
>> with 2003 I doesnt seem to show my tasks, calendar contacts etc under the
>> personal folders.  I don't really understand what action personal folder
>> perform, but I'd like all my othe folders to sit  beneath it.  Can't
>> find the contacts folder from the address book either.
>> thanks for any insightful comments
>>
>> Rich

Depends. When does it crash and with what error message?
--
> Thank you Russ,
> I wonder if this is why outlook crashes intermittently>
> Rich
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The correct way to migrate an Outlook data file is explained in Help
>> Files:
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx
>> Essentially, you first open the file in an Outlook profile, designate it
>> to be your default, then restart Outlook and close its original PST file.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Ritch_Ratch" <listmail@gotakeahike.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> For a good few years I've been saving my .pst file to my data drive so
>>> when it comes to installing a new OS and office apps,  I generally move
>>> the .pst file from it's default location C:\Documents and
>>> Settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook then when outlook opens
>>> and can't find it, I navigate  to my data drive and load it from  there.
>>> I don't know if this is to be  particulaly recommended as I think it  is
>>> still the  old format .pst file I used with office 2000.
>>> This always worked pretty well with previous versions of outlook, but
>>> with 2003 I doesnt seem to show my tasks, calendar contacts etc under
>>> the personal folders.  I don't really understand what action personal
>>> folder perform, but I'd like all my othe folders to sit  beneath it.
>>> Can't find the contacts folder from the address book either.
>>> thanks for any insightful comments
>>>
>>> Rich

0
russval1 (2100)

excel wont open file
I have just instaled excel , and when i try to open a file it opens i Internet explorer , how can i fix this , what did i do wron -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Phil! Most likely fix for this problem is from within Excel: Tools > Options > General Uncheck "Ignore other Applications" OK Close Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel in the Registry using the following routine. Close Excel On the Windows Taskbar Start > Run Type the following exactly including the space between exe and / excel.exe /regserver OK....

Import vCard file to Outlook #3
I have Office 2007/Outlook on Vista. I want to import a vCard file of contacts which has been exported from jPilot on Linux. When I try it only imports the first contact, not the entire file of contacts. Questions: -Can Office 2007/Outlook on Vista import vCard version 3.0 format, or only the earlier version 2.1 format? (I can use either). -Can Office 2007/Outlook on Vista import a file of multiple vCards? Can it import a set of individual vCards in a folder? In any case, how do I get a bunch of vCards into Outlook? gus <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have Office 2007/Outlook ...

User Defined Fileds In An Item (Contact)
I'm using OXP. Is there a way to delete the "User Defined Fields In a Item (Contact)" without having to open each contact, going to the All fields page and manually deleting the fields. I'm using the "User Defined Fields In A Folder" and want to remove the fields saved in a contact that are not required. thxs srm No. Even with code you'd have to open (instantiate) each item and delete the fields. Once they are in the item it doesn't matter if the field is removed from the folder, the field is still in each item. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://w...

dbx file structure
how to create dbx file? what is this file format structure? is there anyone know it? thanx for answers.. Try asking in an Outlook Express newsgroups rather than one that supports Microsoft Outlook. (Outlook Express is under the microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer hierarchy.) "m_u_g_u_r" <m_u_g_u_r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:973FADA9-3074-49F9-A55F-45E6E97FCC9D@microsoft.com... > how to create dbx file? > what is this file format structure? > is there anyone know it? > > thanx for answers.. m_u_g_u_r schrieb am 11.01.2005 00:19: ...

Attached file size (very) different on Outlook and OWA
I noticed that an attached zip file on an e-mail was - correctly - shown as 27 MB in Outlook, but in OWA it's size was said to be 36 MB. That's quite a difference I think. Can anyone explain it? Regards, Kim When you convert MAPI to MIME, it bloats about 30%. "Kim Stahnke" <kimstahnke@tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:uqPveopIGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I noticed that an attached zip file on an e-mail was - correctly - shown as >27 MB in Outlook, but in OWA it's size was said to be 36 MB. > That's quite a difference I think. Can anyone ex...

Powerpoint 2003 hangs when trying to open or save a file
100% failure rate, uninstalled and reinstalled office 2003, installed all security updates (each time checking between SP's to see if they had solved the issue), reimaged entire hard drive, also purchased a new HD (just in case that was the issue)...still nothing...office tools that help you to recover a program just have it crash and an error pops up that I send to Microsoft.... have sent error to Microsoft 30+ times to hopefully get a resolution.....I have tons of presentations due in the morning and this has been going on since yesterday....all other office products work j...

Import txt file into excel with 281,344 rows
Hi, I've got a very large txt file that I need to import into excel. It has 288,344 rows. Is there a way I can do this? The fields on my txt file are separated by a pipe "|" Thanks in advance. If you're using xl2007, then that data will fit. Open the .txt file and choose delimited by | If you're using xl2003 and below, you could use your favorite text editor to make several smaller .txt files (65536 rows or smaller) and import each into separate worksheets. JulieM39 wrote: > > Hi, I've got a very large txt file that I need to impo...

Cached Exchange Mode not selected but OST file is still created.
I'm trying to figure out why an OST file is being created even though Exchange Cached mode is not selected. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue? I'm using Outlook 2003 with the latest updates. Thanks, Jaycee Is the machine configured for offline folders, which are still available = as an option if Cached Exchange mode is not used?=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers ...

Cannot delete files or folders in Outlook 2007 on Vista desktop co
At some point recently, I lost the ability to delete files & folders in Personal Folders of Outlook 2007. I can add new files & folders without problems. I've checked on the web and most solutions point to running Scanpst.exe. When I run this app, I get an error saying that OMMAPI32.dll cannot be found, even though I can see it in the Office 12 folder. One suggestion was to run "regsrvr olmapi32.dll, but it fails, saying the module couldn't be loaded. Can anyone out there suggest what I might try to correct this problem. I know I'm not along, becaus...

Problem opening serialized file via Open command associated with file type
I have an SDI MFC application that produces a serialized project file via CObject's serialization support. The application can read the file from within the application just fine. The installer registers the program and the file extension properly and associates the file type with the application. However, when I double click on the project file, the application generates an "Unexpected File Format" message. Is there a method in the document class that needs to added to handle this functionality? I want to try and debug the problem but not sure how to invoke the debugg...

All of my Publisher 2000 files are write protected
Every day I work in a file, I need to save a new version because they are write protected. Once I've made a new version for the day, I can continue to work in and save that file just fine, but the next day I'll get the write protected message again and have to save to a new version. This just started happening recently, I never changed my settings or set anything up to write protect. How do I turn it OFF? Its annoying to have so many versions of the same thing and too easy to start working in the wrong one. Are you saving your files to a removable disk? Do you mean your files are rea...

Need VB code to batch convert xlr files
Anyone have some VB code suitable for use with Excel 2003 that can used to batch convert a folders worth of wlr files to Excel worksheets (xls)? Thanks, Bill "Bill" <billstan...@psln.com> wrote... >Anyone have some VB code suitable for >use with Excel 2003 that can used to >batch convert a folders worth of wlr >files to Excel worksheets (xls)? XLR meaning Works files? Can't be done in Excel since Excel can't read Works files. If Works can save in any Excel XLS file format, you'd need to save these XLR files as XLS files in Works. You'd need to u...

coversion of 2000 file to 97
I have made a file in Access XP (2000) having a switchboard. This file needs to be loaded on a computer which has Office 97. With the tool available in access (Tools - Database Utilities - Convert Databse), I did convert this file to 97. Now, when I open this file in the machine having Access 97, the code of Switchboard is giving as error - it gets stuck near the statement "Set con = Application.CurrentProject.Connection" Could anyone please help Regards Nandkumar Hello, The code that is created with the switchboard manager is referencing ADO/Access 10 objects. Ac...

Prevent Access To already open file
Hi, I am new to excell and this forum. Is there a way of preventing someone else opening an excel spreadsheet whilst it is being edited by someonelse even read only. Regards Dave:confused: -- ashtod1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ashtod1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30168 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498523 ...

How to find Latest n files from a directory using VC++
Dear Experts , I am developing an application in VC++ 6.0 . My application is releated with reading and writing large numbers of file . i have one directory say [C:\Test] which contains 10,000 files and may be more . i want to know how can i find latest 20 files that is created in C:\Test . I am using CFileFind and CFileStatus to find file and to Get Creation time of file but i think as my content of directory increases it will comsume more time for searching latest 20 files ...... Can anyone tell me how to come around this searching problem... is there any readymade class available th...

Exchange 2003: Mailbox size vs exchange data file on disk?
I've just done a quick adding up for all my mail boxes on my exchange 2003 server, and it totals around 3.7GB However, the datafiles on disk are: priv1.edb - 4.8GB priv1.stm - 2.8GB What makes up the rest of the space used? I know there are a couple of address lists and 2 public calendars, but that woudlnt even be a hundred meg, let alone a gig! Any ideas? is this normal behaviour? Thanks :) Some items that take up space are Deleted retention items, deleted mailbox settings and deleted public folder retention. Also the database size does not shrink, so there may be empty space in ...

Outlook Files
I am rebuilding my PC and I have used another HardDrive to do so. It is all built but what I want is all of the info that was in outlook on the other Hard drive. I need to know what Files I ned to move over in order to have all of my Outlook info IE....Contacts, Personal Address Book, and all of my old e-mail. Thank you in advance for your resonses Sue Mosher's Slipstick... Outlook & Exchange/Windows Messaging Backup and Dual-Boot: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Mike" <goff@mtaonline.net> wrote in message news:00...

Weird problem saving a file
Hey guys. This one is hard to explain. I have a file tha automatically pulls different numbers from financial statement that i in Excel format. It pulls the numbers and does about a hundre calculations for me automatically. it saves me a ton of time. download the financial statement every month and then use this file t analyze it. My problem is that I can't figure out how to do a "Save As" that keep the numbers for that one month without autopopulating the numbers nex month. As in, I can't save different months because they al autopopulate with the newest month FS....

Deleting files from my Exchange system drive: badmail and Exhsrvr\server.log
I'm running Exchange STD 2003. I noticed that our backups were taking some additional time... the backup log indicated that the bulk of the time was while backing up the c: drive of our exchange server. I found 2 folders taking up way more space than I would like, so this is really 2 questions about getting rid of things: 1. C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\maurice.log\ (maurice is the name of the server) lots of files, one per day., around 6MB each, peudo-text ...appears to be who sent what to whom, but not human-formatted. What is this and can I delete most of them? 2. C:\Program Fil...

Sheets in an excel file.
Is there a way to return to a list in a worksheet the names of all the Sheets in an excel file? I have a file with 50 sheets and I want to have them in a list like a table of contents sheet, but I dont want to do it manually if possible. Thanks for your help. Steven You can find some code also at David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm He actually builds the table as hyperlinks--so you can click on them. If you're new to macros, you may want to read David's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm Steven wrote: > ...

How do I shut off making a backup copy of a file when I save in E.
We have a shared worksheet that many people access and make changes to. Every time someone saves the file, Excel creates a backup copy of the file in the folder. How do I shut that feature off? options button on the save screen Choose File>Save As At the top right of the Save dialog box, click the Tools button Select General Options Remove the check mark from 'Always create backup' Click OK, click Save Click Yes, to replace the existing file. kboley2004 wrote: > We have a shared worksheet that many people access and make changes to. > Every time someone saves the file...

pst file #7
We have pst files on network shares, our users can read and connect having all proper rights to these folders will moving messages to pst file we receive error cannot write to file. Outlook 2003 Win2k servers Why Outlook .pst files are unsupported over a LAN or WAN link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297019&Product=out2K --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.gr...

I can't close folder (pst file). message "The operation failed. A.
When using microsoft outlook 2003. After open my pst file and want to close after that. I can't close folder (pst file). message box "The operation failed. An object coulnot be found." Our IT engineer cannot solve this problem and told me this is one of "microsoft bugs". How can i fix this problem. thanks and regards Aryo <Aryo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When using microsoft outlook 2003. > After open my pst file and want to close after that. > I can't close folder (pst file). message box "The operation failed. An > object couln...

Converting QIF files to Excel
Quicken Interchange Format? How do I convert these files to a useful format (txt, csv, excel)? My wife's bank seems to think that all the world has either MS Money or Quicken installed. We have neither, nor do I want to install them just download banking information. Have invested a huge amount of time googling I've found an sed script[1] or an excel plugin ($$) [2]. While the sed script is esthetically appealing there has to be a simpler way than teaching my wife how to use and ancient Unix tool. Just try explaining what a Stream Editor is to a normal human being and I think you w...

wmp cannot play file
file as extension .iso error message found cood1199 what is this and how do i sort it please. ..iso is an image file and it doesn't get "played." You need a burning program like imgburn to burn the image to a CD/DVD. -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." "stoneage" <stoneage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:637CE0D3-90E6-4217-A908-13F5C5A8BE70@microsoft.com... > file as extension .iso error message found cood1199 what is this and how > do i > ...