Replying without top posting

When I reply to a message that is in RTF format I get a blue bar along the
left edge of the original text (I think it's RTF messages that do this,
maybe it's HTML).  This is because I want to prefix the original text.
However, when I try to reply to sections of the original text, the blue bar
doesn't disappear next to my writing like it did with 2003.  This causes my
replies to look just like original text.  I've tried all sorts of settings
and can't stop this behavior.  Does anyone know how I can reply, in a
bottom-posting fashion, without having my comments prefixed as well?

Thanks
Reggie

0
rykr (1)

<eg HAHA!  Microsoft finally thwarts the evil bottom posting in HTML =
mails once and for all /eg>  ROTFL

No, seriously, that behavior belongs to messages using HTML.  You can =
always insert your cursor below the blue line to start your reply, but =
there are programs out there (free) that will allow you to conform your =
signature how you wish - Outlook QuoteFix is one of them. It works with =
versions up to 2003.  I have not tried it with Outlook 2007. =
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/=20

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading. =20

After furious head scratching, Reggie Burnett asked:

| When I reply to a message that is in RTF format I get a blue bar
| along the left edge of the original text (I think it's RTF messages
| that do this, maybe it's HTML).  This is because I want to prefix the
| original text. However, when I try to reply to sections of the
| original text, the blue bar doesn't disappear next to my writing like
| it did with 2003.  This causes my replies to look just like original
| text.  I've tried all sorts of settings and can't stop this behavior.
| Does anyone know how I can reply, in a bottom-posting fashion,
| without having my comments prefixed as well?=20
|=20
| Thanks
| Reggie
0
MillyS (3228)
2/20/2007 1:27:40 AM
"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
<MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmeatmvps.org> wrote in message
<eg HAHA!  Microsoft finally thwarts the evil bottom posting in HTML mails
once and for all /eg>  ROTFL

> No, seriously, that behavior belongs to messages using HTML.  You can
> always insert your cursor below the blue line to start your reply, but
> there are programs out > there (free) that will allow you to conform your
> signature how you wish - Outlook QuoteFix is one of them. It works with
> versions up to 2003.  I have not tried it
> with Outlook 2007. http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Not correct. Under Outlook 2007 in HTML you cannot get under the bottom of
the post to which you are replying and miss that line. I have even sent HTML
emails to myself with lines left underneath to see if that would make a
difference. It doesn't.

0
lrb1 (101)
2/20/2007 12:06:43 PM
wrote:

> <eg HAHA!  Microsoft finally thwarts the evil bottom posting in HTML
> mails once and for all /eg>  ROTFL
>
> No, seriously, that behavior belongs to messages using HTML.  You can
> always insert your cursor below the blue line to start your reply,
> but there are programs out there (free) that will allow you to
> conform your signature how you wish - Outlook QuoteFix is one of
> them. It works with versions up to 2003.  I have not tried it with
> Outlook 2007. http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Outlook-Quotefix works only for Plain Text messages, however.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

replies undeliverable
All of a sudden my replies to messages get kicked back instantly as "System Undeliverable" and when I check details it reads something like 550 local host, not gateway. This is a recent problem. I have checked all my addresses and I don't have any SPA boxes checked. Could use some help with this if anyone has had the same problem. Thanks You probably need to set up authentication to your outgoing server, which can be done on the "Outgoing Server" tab for your account. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no ...

How do you enable Auto-Reply to send a reply more than once?
We have a requirement for a "Delivery to Outlook Client" confirmation be delivered to the originator each time they request it using a keyword in the subject line. The reply is generated as a Client-side rule using a template to reply. The default settings on the Exchange Server (2003) will only permit this to be sent to an originator once, so the rule works the first time, but not again until the client is restarted. Is there a way to get the Exchange server to send out the confirmation everytime, i.e., not have the server remember who has received a reply in the past? This &quo...

Posting Status
The posting status for the document is 508 in sop30200.what does it mean?why the status is 508. still what are the posting status avaliable for the document... Pls help me out.... Raghu I never came across this status before. It is strange. To research more on this, Can You tell the flow of this particular document in GP and currently what it is showing in GP? Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP On May 11, 4:05=A0pm, Raghu <bhuvana.anipe...@gmail.com> wrote: > The posting status for the document =A0is 508 in sop30200.what does it > mean?why the status is 508. > still what are the ...

Blocking Out of Office replies to Internet
Hi, I know the default on Exchange 2000 is to not allow Out of Office replies outside the Exchange organization. I am taking some flak from "Power Users" who say they need this functionality. My arguements for not turning it on are 1. Potential message looping 2. Spammers can validate the existance of valid email addresses. Does anyone have any concrete locations of official policy (e.g. Micorsoft KBs, security best practices) on this issue so I can direct my management to? Thanks I don't think you'll find a Best Practice, as this really pertains more to company need. ...

An auto reply to an auto reply!

Reading records without security
Hi, I have a database with security enabled on my system. Now the problem is I am unable to open this database outside the LAN. Is it possible to open this database and move some data to another file which i can take home to work? Also i need an application to access the database file but does not have the provision for username and password. I tried creating a new database and import the data from the secure database. But still doesnt work. Any help please. Thanks Ramesh Ramesh, If this is YOUR database, then you should know how to do what you are asking. If it's a secu...

Posting/publishing to the web
I have a detailed excel spreadsheet - with multiple pages, range names, formulas and control box objects (check boxes and drop down lists). Is there any way to get this to be a web page and allow the same functionality to remain ? interactivity and checkboxes (some formulas are based on results in the text box so I need it all). I tried the publish function but that didnt carry over the control boxes, some conditional formatting and I think a few minor things. IF Excel cant do it - can anyone recommend a software package that can ? Thanks !! Yosef ...

dst questions sorry, alot of posts
Hi, running 2 exchange servers. Exchange 2003 sp2 (what is the build for sp2?), Event viewer has it at 7638 build. Both exchange servers are running 2003 sp1 with KB931836 patch for dst I hear of all the problems occuring with KB926666, is there a new patch for exchange??? Please help... DST is driving me crazy. Also, is there DST list, we have a few NT, 2000 Servers. I have to use the TMZedit tool. Thank you very much, Koz The only issue with 926666 (afaik) is with the Store not mounting under certain conditions in environments with more than one domains where you've u...

REPLY TO MANY WITH SAME REPLY
I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO REPLY TO MANY SEPARATE EMAILS WITH THE SAME ANSWER. LIKE HIGHLIGHT THE ONES THAT NEED THE SAME ANSWER, CLICK ON REPLY TO ALL AND HAVE THEM APPEAR IN BLIND COPY AND SUPPLY ONE ANSWER THAT WOULD BE DISTRIBUTED TO ALL. POSSIBLE? MICROSOFT 2003 "SALLY" <SALLY @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:645EC1BC-38F0-46AB-A1A8-83E0F34EBC14@microsoft.com... >I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO REPLY TO MANY SEPARATE EMAILS WITH THE SAME > ANSWER. LIKE HIGHLIGHT THE ONES THAT NEED THE SAME ANSWER, CLICK ON REPLY > TO > ALL AND HAVE THEM APP...

assigning a multi-dimensional array to a combobox.List??? without loops
Why is this working? I have a combobox cbBox and an array say arr(1 to 10, 1 to 5). This seems to work but I was wondering if anyone had encountered this yet. If I say cbBox.List = arr it will display the elements along the first dimension. But if you check cbBox.List is a 2-d array(0 to 9, 0 to 4) Is there any documentation that shows that this usage is fine? Thanks It is fine. You can show those extra columns by changing the ColumnCount property of the combobox. Even if you don't the data is still there, and you can access it, it just doesn't show. -- ___________________...

replies to email not marked with reply icon
In O2k Outlook, replies to emails are usually marked with an appropriate icon with a red arrow. I no longer see these "reply Icons" on emails I have replied to. I have not loaded any additional software other than windows update. Any suggestions? Duke ...

POST A QUESTION
Formula is in cell A3 which is =A1+A2. If I don't put any numbers in A1 or A2 cell A3 displays #value! Is there a way to not have the #value! show in cell A3? Hi, if you are doing a sum shouldn't give you that result anyway you can use =if(A1="",A2,if(A2="",A1,A1+A2)) "dwolf" wrote: > Formula is in cell A3 which is =A1+A2. If I don't put any numbers in A1 or A2 > cell A3 displays #value! Is there a way to not have the #value! show in cell > A3? Check to see if A1 or A2 is formatted as something other than a number, o...

Reply to All -(myself)...
When I hit Reply to All, it automatically includes me. Is there any way to get it not to do this? Thanks! if you have two or more accounts, outlook has trouble knowing who you are. The workaround is either delete your name or create a rule to delete mail to and from yourself. BTW - Outlook 2003 does a better job at identifying you. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com &quo...

Account-settings? Where to define the signature and reply issue
Hello all! I am used to Eudora, but moved over to Outlook 2002 recently. I have multiple e-mail accounts which I use often. There are two issues I have: 1. Where can I define which signature to use for a specific account? This is normal Eudora stuff, but Outlook only seems to know one default signature. 2. How can I setup Outlook so it automaticly uses the account a message was sent to when replying. Now it allways uses the default account, whatever the account was the original message was sent to. (So for instance, if my default e-mail account was me@home.ok and I want to replay a mess...

Are you able to search for newer posts?
When I use the Search for: box to search any of the Office forums, the search results never return anything newer than about Oct 2009. Is anyone else seeing this problem? If not, do you have any ideas why I am having the problem? If so, do you have any suggestions for a fix? Yes, I know the Web inteface sucks. But I'm also uncertain if Outlook Express or other newsreader will have the capability to search all posts. Also, I'm not getting notifications of replies.... Thanks, John Use Google Groups to search the archives. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publi...

PDC (Post Dated Checks)
Hi I would like to know what is the best way of handling PDC ( Post Dated Checks) both in Receivables and Payables? Thanks in Advance -Daniel Daniel Unless you have a customization or the date on the check is in a fiscal period that does not yet exist or is closed, GP is never going to be checking whether the date you're entering on a transaction is in the future. So you can enter any date you want on any transaction. That said, my 2 cents: - For payables, you don't really have a choice, you have to print the check from GP, but even if you didn't, entering any payment with...

Rule: Reply using template... Reply-to is NOT used. It is replyed to the sender
When setting up a rule, which replies certain mails, Outlook is sending it to the SENDER of the mail, and not using the reply-to field set in the mail GRRRRrrrr. I�m using the rule in combination with a FrontPage form which sends a mail. The sender of the mail is always the webserver, so I set the reply-to field to a email address entered in the form. Any way to get around this problem? ...

copying a worksheet tab with a chart, without losing chart formatt
If I copy an Excel 2007 worksheet tab with a chart, the copied sheet loses some of the formatting and / or chart series information. How can I resolve this? Ta ...

How does an attachment get sent with my messages without my knowle
An unwanted gif.(001.) is automatically sent with each message I send. It appears under the subject line to the recipient as an attachment that needs to be opened. It is a very small object that I have no memory of inserting in any doc. whatsoever. What have I done? In news:81E6CD9E-D748-4ED9-BD33-54B201B2968D@microsoft.com, o''Hamlit <oHamlit@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > An unwanted gif.(001.) is automatically sent with each message I > send. It appears under the subject line to the recipient as an > attachment that needs to be opened. It is a very small o...

Quick question on posting messages to modal dialogs from other threads
Ok, I've got a modal dialog box up in the main GUI thread. Is it possible to post to it from a worker thread if I have a pointer? If so, are there any things I should watch out for besides race conditions? More information: I'm having to rebuild an entire database when a user opens certain formats of our document. On small files, this is fine, however, when it's a large file, this can take a few minutes. In the old version, this would cause the application to appear frozen. I'm wanting to create a modal dialog box, launch a worker thread with the pointer to that dialog box, a...

Out of Office restrict replys to contact list
It there a way to restrict out of office reply to only recieptants in the contact list? We would like to turn on out of office reply to people outside our organization, but would liketo restrict it to only people in our contact list. At present we have a rule setup locally on the users system, but would like to have a company wide solution. Thank you On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:08:02 -0700, Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >It there a way to restrict out of office reply to only recieptants in the >contact list? > >We would like to turn on out of office reply t...

Moving groups of objects without losing the property
I am trying to move some messages of a sequence diagram along the vertical plane, since the connection of the message with the object is lost, the property of the message is also lost. Does anyone know how to move an group of messages without losing the associated properties. ...

Reply Issues
I am having an annoyance in Outlook 2003. Whenever I reply to a specific person Outlook is formatting my text with double spacing. When I enter a carriage return it doubles, but wordwrapped text is not doubled. Is there a way to fix this? It only happens with one specific member of my address book. are you using HTML formatted messages and do they use a web account? If so, use shift-enter, not enter. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ ...

Sum Function Without Including Hidden Rows?
I'm using Excel 2000 and have *hidden* several rows that include numeric data. I want to do a sum function on some of the columns intersecting those rows, but when I insert an AutoSum function, it includes data in the visible rows AND the hidden rows. Is there an easy way to perform a sum function that *only* includes the rows that are *-visible?-* (Which rows are hidden/visible are subject to constant change) Thanks for your help! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You would need a UDF for that or if there is a pattern (like if every other column/row is hidden) th...

Reply to All includes me
Hi. We recently moved Exchange mail organisations and have been getting an annoying problem since the move. In Outlook, if I click 'Reply to All' on an e-mail sent by someone outside of our mail organisation the e-mail generated includes my address in the To list. This doesn't happen for internally generated e-mails. I have done some testing and re-installing Outlook doesn't fix this issue, nor does removing the services and profile. Formatting the computer and installing Outlook from scratch does fix it. Therefore, the problem is with the settings on the comput...