reply formatting in Outlook 2010

I set up my normal.email.dotm file to have 12 pts below each
paragraph, which helps formatting issues when sending emails to people
using gmail and other programs that interpret paragraph breaks
differently than Outlook.

That works just fine with new emails. However, when I reply to an
email, even an html email, the formatting is not applied. I can fix
this by choosing Format Text and then setting the spacing as per
above, but this is a pain in the neck.

Why don't reply emails use the same template? Is there a way to
template replies so i can use the same formatting?

thanks in advance,
  gary
0
garyh7048 (18)

Replies use the same formatting that the sender used. There is no way to
change it, other than using the same method you are using now.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com

On 6/27/2011 6:48 PM, Gary Hillerson wrote:
> I set up my normal.email.dotm file to have 12 pts below each
> paragraph, which helps formatting issues when sending emails to people
> using gmail and other programs that interpret paragraph breaks
> differently than Outlook.
>
> That works just fine with new emails. However, when I reply to an
> email, even an html email, the formatting is not applied. I can fix
> this by choosing Format Text and then setting the spacing as per
> above, but this is a pain in the neck.
>
> Why don't reply emails use the same template? Is there a way to
> template replies so i can use the same formatting?
>
> thanks in advance,
>    gary
0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/2/2011 4:08:06 AM
Thanks, Diane. I hate the answer, but appreciate receiving it :-)

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 00:08:06 -0400, Diane Poremsky
<outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote:

>Replies use the same formatting that the sender used. There is no way to
>change it, other than using the same method you are using now.
>

>Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com
>
>On 6/27/2011 6:48 PM, Gary Hillerson wrote:
>> I set up my normal.email.dotm file to have 12 pts below each
>> paragraph, which helps formatting issues when sending emails to people
>> using gmail and other programs that interpret paragraph breaks
>> differently than Outlook.
>>
>> That works just fine with new emails. However, when I reply to an
>> email, even an html email, the formatting is not applied. I can fix
>> this by choosing Format Text and then setting the spacing as per
>> above, but this is a pain in the neck.
>>
>> Why don't reply emails use the same template? Is there a way to
>> template replies so i can use the same formatting?
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>>    gary
0
garyh7048 (18)

Formatting
How do I highlight (e.g., bold) just 1 particular y-axis gridline? I want to make it stand out as a threshold. Hi, You can not format individual grid lines. You can add a dummy series to act like a grid line and format that as required. Jon Peltier has an explanation for creating arbitrary grid lines that you can adapt. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryGridlines.html Or here are some explanations of adding lines to charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageli...

replies undeliverable
All of a sudden my replies to messages get kicked back instantly as "System Undeliverable" and when I check details it reads something like 550 local host, not gateway. This is a recent problem. I have checked all my addresses and I don't have any SPA boxes checked. Could use some help with this if anyone has had the same problem. Thanks You probably need to set up authentication to your outgoing server, which can be done on the "Outgoing Server" tab for your account. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no ...

importing dates and tasks from excel to outlook
hi :) is it possible to import tasks from excel to outlooks calendar, so i dont have to do it one by one in outlook, but all at once by importing from excel? Sure. What happens when you try? Hint: export from Outlook so you can get the field names to use, then you won't have to map fields before importing and save the excel sheet as CSV so you don't have to name the range. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-...

Outlook 2007 xnk work around
We are testing Office 2007. I am trying to come up with a work around for linking directly to Public Folders, since Outlook 2007 no longer support ..xnk links. Our users had links on their desktops to Office Calendars in Public Folders, which now do not work. I have created a Custom Command Bar Button linking directly to the folder in question. So while this cannot be on their desktop, it is quickly accessible from within Outlook. Two questions does anyone know of an alternate method to accommodate linking directly to the Public Folder Calendar? Or how I can make this custom button ava...

Date Format
User has a spreadsheet with dates - It used to be formated as Month-day (Mar-01). "All of a sudden" the column now displays another date format - example 38569 - in the cell, in the formula field it shows the correct day, but as mm/dd/yyyy. The format of the column is date. We looked at another formula - example ="01/01/1900"+38569 and it shows in the formula field as the correct date - so this is the count of days from 01/01/1900 - how do we convert it back? BTW we copied the entire spreadsheet to a new one - and the date displays correctly! -- Rona/tinkertoy...

Outlook 2007-Compress Saturday/Sunday column
Is there any way to do this? No, that is no longer possible. Is there any particular reason you would like it back? If you want a clearer visual reminder that it is a weekend, you can create a weekly recurring appointment that spans Saturday and Sunday, color code that appointment with a Category and set it as "Busy". The weekend will now be colored after the category color. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real...

Outlook Notification Problems
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2000 on my network and when new email arrives outlook normally prompts the user that mail has arrived by a popup box. I have enabled this in email accounts from the tools menu at the top of outlook's screen. ] On some machines outlook does not give a notification popup box to certain machines even though it's speciefied in Tools > Email Accounts etc. If fact some certain users have to close outlook and reopen it before email appears in there inbox? I have tried changing the send and recieve settings to check for mail every 5 secs but this still...

How do you enable Auto-Reply to send a reply more than once?
We have a requirement for a "Delivery to Outlook Client" confirmation be delivered to the originator each time they request it using a keyword in the subject line. The reply is generated as a Client-side rule using a template to reply. The default settings on the Exchange Server (2003) will only permit this to be sent to an originator once, so the rule works the first time, but not again until the client is restarted. Is there a way to get the Exchange server to send out the confirmation everytime, i.e., not have the server remember who has received a reply in the past? This &quo...

Calendar and Task View-Outlook 2003
I just upgraded to Outlook 2003 from Outlook 2003 and already have a question. In Outlook 2003, I was able to view my Calendar and Tasks side-by-side. In Outlook 2003, I am only able to view one-or-the other. Can I view both side-by-side? If yes, how do I accomplish it? TIA Frank El Paso, Texas You can enable the old taskpad view on your calendar - try View, Taskpad or drag the right edge of the calendar window inward to show the taskpad. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.pore...

how do format using bullets in a cell in excel?
I am trying to format a list using bullets in one cell in an excel spreadsheet. Can somone please provide some suggestions on how to do this? I have tried copying and pasting from Word, and that doesn't work either. I just had to do this today. Here is what I did and it looked pretty good Format the first character of your text as Wingdings, and type the CAP L, that is a round bullet charater, then reformat to the font you wish to use and type away. "olliesf" wrote: > I am trying to format a list using bullets in one cell in an excel > spreadsheet. Can somone pleas...

Blocking Out of Office replies to Internet
Hi, I know the default on Exchange 2000 is to not allow Out of Office replies outside the Exchange organization. I am taking some flak from "Power Users" who say they need this functionality. My arguements for not turning it on are 1. Potential message looping 2. Spammers can validate the existance of valid email addresses. Does anyone have any concrete locations of official policy (e.g. Micorsoft KBs, security best practices) on this issue so I can direct my management to? Thanks I don't think you'll find a Best Practice, as this really pertains more to company need. ...

Outlook changes screen resolution
When I start Outlook 2003 my screen resolution changes to 640X480 on a pc that was upgraded from win98 to XP PRO, any ideas ? Upgrade your videocard driver and try again. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Create your own fully customized Toolbar -Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003 Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; remove all CAPS and _underscores_ from the address ...

Copying Netscape Info to Outlook 2002
I have tried using the instructions in KB 291601 but this is not working. The agency I work for had a P2P network running, of all things, Communicator 4.7 for email and using OL2000 for calendering etc. I recently installed SBS2K and upgraded everyone to OL2002, but people being creatures of habit, getting people off of Netscape has been a chore. The main concern is that there are MANY contacts on their systems held in Netscape 4.7. OL2002 will not import from NS 4.7, and you have to go through OL EXPRESS forst and then to OL2002 (according to article 291601). This is not working. Anyone else...

Switching from Outlook Express
Is the only way to move emails and contacts from express to regular Outlook by exporting/importing? "Suzanne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6a1301c3e676$b91caee0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is the only way to move emails and contacts from express > to regular Outlook by exporting/importing? Yep - unless you install your own mail server like Mercury from Pegasus mail and do it that way....... >-----Original Message----- >"Suzanne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message >news:6a1301c3e676$b91caee0$a501...

Outlook '03 Mail Notification Icon Missing (??)
My e-mail notification icon in Outlook '03 refuses to appear in the task bar. I've gone to: Tools > Options > Preferences > E-Mail Options > Advanced E-Mail Options and checked the "Show an envelope icon in the notification area" box with NO luck :~( Can someone advise me to what I'm missing here? Thanks...Keith On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:30:32 GMT, "Keith" <keith@yahoo.uk.com> wrote: >My e-mail notification icon in Outlook '03 refuses to appear in the task >bar. > >I've gone to: Tools > Options > Preferences &...

Formatting Problem
I've created a blank booklet of x no. of pages with page size of h7.25" x w4.75" with 0.5" margins all around. I've been provided with material on floppies to incorporate into the booklet. The material is in the wrong font type and size and needs considerable change in other formatting. This I've done by opening the document into a WORD document of the same dimensions as stated above and tailoring the content to this WORD document. There are some centering, indents, right or left alignment. When I then try to insert this into the booklet in Publisher, s...

An auto reply to an auto reply!

Outlook 2007 Rule
Have just upgraded to Outlook 2007. I have created several rules that will distribute emails from specific people into specific subfolders of my inbox. Now I would like to write a rule that says if the incoming email is NOT from someone in my address book, send it to the deleted folder. I cannot seem to find how to apply the NOT from someone in my address book. Any help?? if all previous rules are moving messages, the last rule will be 'move all messages to deleted folder' put a stop processing on each previous rule. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http:/...

date in text format #2
I'm trying to do a mail merge in Publisher than has a date field. It converts it to text - and becomes a 5 digit number.Publisher is very limited in terms of mail merge power (unlike Word - but I can't use Word due to Text boxes and needing to get several on a page) . I then decided I'd convert the date field in excel into Text, so then Publisher would then read it in the correct format. However, I can't get away from the 5 digit number. I've read everything I can find about date and text. I"ve tried copy and "paste as values", etc - and I get the 5 di...

Outlook 2K Hangs when closing
Starting yesterday all my users are having the same problem. When they exit Outlook 2000 the dialog comes up saying Please Wait while Outlook closes and it never goes away. You have to end task it to close it. Hi.. just wondering if you found a solution to this problem.. I'm having the same problem.. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

REPLY TO MANY WITH SAME REPLY
I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO REPLY TO MANY SEPARATE EMAILS WITH THE SAME ANSWER. LIKE HIGHLIGHT THE ONES THAT NEED THE SAME ANSWER, CLICK ON REPLY TO ALL AND HAVE THEM APPEAR IN BLIND COPY AND SUPPLY ONE ANSWER THAT WOULD BE DISTRIBUTED TO ALL. POSSIBLE? MICROSOFT 2003 "SALLY" <SALLY @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:645EC1BC-38F0-46AB-A1A8-83E0F34EBC14@microsoft.com... >I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO REPLY TO MANY SEPARATE EMAILS WITH THE SAME > ANSWER. LIKE HIGHLIGHT THE ONES THAT NEED THE SAME ANSWER, CLICK ON REPLY > TO > ALL AND HAVE THEM APP...

replies to email not marked with reply icon
In O2k Outlook, replies to emails are usually marked with an appropriate icon with a red arrow. I no longer see these "reply Icons" on emails I have replied to. I have not loaded any additional software other than windows update. Any suggestions? Duke ...

Outlook 2007 Wont Send Email
Oddest thing. On some messages when I reply, the message will go into the outbox and quickly change from italicized (send queue) to regular type face (in draft mode and not sending.) When I click send again it becomes italicized for a split second and then goes into the draft mode. I can't explain what is going on and why it affects some messages and not others. I have to recreate the message and sometimes it works and other times the same thing happens. Anyone have this weird behavior? Are you in the outbox when this happens? http://www.slipstick.com/problems/outbox.htm -- Diane Porems...

Date Format Behavior
In an Excel 2000 workbook, when the date "5/13/05" is entered in a cell, upon leaving the cell the date changes to "5/13/2004." The computer date is set to the correct year. The Excel Date format is set for the appropriate format. Any ideas on what can cause this strange behavior? Thanks, Craig. Do you have any event macros running? What do you see in the cell when you format it as General? In article <C1079910-886B-40E4-98FB-6CCAF352446E@microsoft.com>, CraigH <CraigH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In an Excel 2000 workbook, when the date &q...

Maintaining formatting of data when merging with Word files
How do you keep the formatting for data in Excel when the data is being used in a Word letter merge? The data is formatted as 2 decimal points but when merged in Word the data expands to 6 decimal places or more. I've tried copy and paste special as value; round function; saving as a comma separated value (csv) file.... Savings as a CSV seemed to work except when you want to go back and edit the data file, it doesn't recognize the file type and the formatting is lost when saved as an Excel file again. I would add the format switch in Word's merge fields. In article <...