Remove "in Public Folders" from entries in Favorite Folders???? #2

Under Favorite Folders, all the favorites that point to public folders
have "in Public Folders" appended to the Favorites name. This means I
have to make the column artificially wide in order ot see the number
of unread messages in those folders.

Is there way to display Favorites so that the phrase "in Public
Folders" does not appear as part of the folder name?

Thanks.

Jace

You can right-click on a folder in Favorites in the Folder List and select
Rename to rename the folder to whatever you want. That won't affect its link
to the source folder.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Jace" <jace_google@everywareinc.com> wrote in message
> Under Favorite Folders, all the favorites that point to public folders
> have "in Public Folders" appended to the Favorites name. This means I
> have to make the column artificially wide in order ot see the number
> of unread messages in those folders.
>
> Is there way to display Favorites so that the phrase "in Public
> Folders" does not appear as part of the folder name?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jace

0
kenslovak (742)
6/4/2004 1:45:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, Ken. That's the first thing I tried. The trouble
is that when one links to a public folder, the link name becomes
something like:

     MyFolder in Public Folders

If I right click and select rename, it IMMEDAITELY becomes:

     MyFolder

and only allows me to edit that portion of the name. So when I change
it to, for example:

     MyNewFolder

and press return it immediately becomes:

     MyNewFolder in Public Folders

So I'm still stuck trying to get rid of "in Public Folders" form the
name.

Jace

"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uE$ppojSEHA.2408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> You can right-click on a folder in Favorites in the Folder List and select
> Rename to rename the folder to whatever you want. That won't affect its link
> to the source folder.
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]
> http://www.slovaktech.com
> Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options
> http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm
>

> "Jace" <jace_google@everywareinc.com> wrote in message
> > Under Favorite Folders, all the favorites that point to public folders
> > have "in Public Folders" appended to the Favorites name. This means I
> > have to make the column artificially wide in order ot see the number
> > of unread messages in those folders.
> >
> > Is there way to display Favorites so that the phrase "in Public
> > Folders" does not appear as part of the folder name?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jace
Outlook 2003? Yeah, you can't edit out the "in Public Folders" part. Nothing
you can do about that now but submit a request for that ability to
mswish@microsoft.com with Outlook in the subject. Maybe they'll consider it
for a future service pack or the next version of Outlook.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

> Thanks for the reply, Ken. That's the first thing I tried. The trouble
> is that when one links to a public folder, the link name becomes
> something like:
>
>      MyFolder in Public Folders
>
> If I right click and select rename, it IMMEDAITELY becomes:
>
>      MyFolder
>
> and only allows me to edit that portion of the name. So when I change
> it to, for example:
>
>      MyNewFolder
>
> and press return it immediately becomes:
>
>      MyNewFolder in Public Folders
>
> So I'm still stuck trying to get rid of "in Public Folders" form the
> name.
>
> Jace

0
kenslovak (742)
6/9/2004 1:09:55 PM
Thanks for the definitive answer, Ken. At least I know I'm not brain
dead (as I've been known to overlook the obvious). I sent them an
email as you suggested. I'll watch the service packs and see if they
fix it.

Take care.

Jace

"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<#0#lLTiTEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Outlook 2003? Yeah, you can't edit out the "in Public Folders" part. Nothing
> you can do about that now but submit a request for that ability to
> mswish@microsoft.com with Outlook in the subject. Maybe they'll consider it
> for a future service pack or the next version of Outlook.
>
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]
> http://www.slovaktech.com
> Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
> Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options
> http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm
>

> "Jace" <jace_google@everywareinc.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply, Ken. That's the first thing I tried. The trouble
> > is that when one links to a public folder, the link name becomes
> > something like:
> >
> >      MyFolder in Public Folders
> >
> > If I right click and select rename, it IMMEDAITELY becomes:
> >
> >      MyFolder
> >
> > and only allows me to edit that portion of the name. So when I change
> > it to, for example:
> >
> >      MyNewFolder
> >
> > and press return it immediately becomes:
> >
> >      MyNewFolder in Public Folders
> >
> > So I'm still stuck trying to get rid of "in Public Folders" form the
> > name.
> >
> > Jace

Advice on number of items in Public folders
New to an organization that runs Exchange 2000. While reviewing their Exchange server, there's a public folder that currently has over 50,000 items in it. Apparently it's used as a 6 month archive for confirmation emails that are sent out daily (one gets sent to an external address and a copy goes to this public folder). My question is basically, will having this many items in a single public folder effect performance on the server if no one really accesses it since it's just for archiving purposes? And if so, any suggestions on how to handle a situation like this? Do you h...

denying access to certain Public Folders Ex 2003 Win2003
Help, I need a way to deny access to certain public folders for some groups and allow for others. for example department A has access to marketing PF but not merchandising and visa versa, these users would not be able to create top level PF's but would be able to create lower level ones, my head is exploding "tom howarth" <tom.howarth@thinstore.net> wrote: >I need a way to deny access to certain public folders for >some groups and allow for others. Okay. Then grant/deny permission to the group. >for example department A >has access to marketing PF b...

Strange SMTP addresses in Public Folders
Hello all I noticed today that several of my public folders have hundreds of randomly named SMTP addresses in the "E-mail Addresses" tab under the properties of each folder. The primary e-mail address matching the name of the public folder exist in the long list of other addresses so e-mail sent to the folder in making it to the right place, but why there are hundreds of other SMTP addresses has me stumped. All of the addresses are 6 characters in front of the @ and then the correct domain name for my organization. Example: 10a8cd@domain.com, 10c426@domain.com. One of my folders...

Remove "in Public Folders" from entries in Favorite Folders????
Under Favorite Folders, all the favorites that point to public folders have "in Public Folders" appended to the Favorites name. This means I have to make the column artificially wide in order ot see the number of unread messages in those folders. Is there way to display Favorites so that the phrase "in Public Folders" does not appear as part of the folder name? Thanks. Jace ...

Calendar in Public Folders
Using calendars in public folders, how can I limit the months views can see or limit their ability to set appointments based on dates (I do not want anyone making reservations past next month) What version of exchange? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version...

Cannot view contents in Public Folders
Hi we have our exchange 2003 server running on windows 2000. this problem with the public folder. me being administrator, i cant see the folders in my outlook. some guys cant see there respective folders which they use to work with, and some can view public folders but when they open any folder they get an error " unable to display folder microsoft outlook could not specify the folder location " please anybody can help me on this. thanks in advance and appreciate your time. shivu Is the public store mounted? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and...

Flagging in Public Folders
My client has several users wanting to see the same message store. I implemented a public folder. Trouble is.... messages/posts cannot be flagged for later inspection. Any ideas? Simon Beresford, MCP IT Support Engineer Expert Systems Ltd e: sberesford@expertsystems.co.uk w: www.expertsystems.co.uk t: +44(0)870 4296181 f: +44(0)870 4296182 the Total IT Service what version of outlook and exchange and why can't they flag them? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Ou...

No Permissions Tab in Public Folders
We are rrunning exchange 2003 in a mixed AD mode. Somehow we lost the permissions tab on the public folders. It was there at one time but now it is gone. I have added my user in the Public folder security settings in Systems Manager with full control but still no option in outlook to set permissions. Can anyone help? ...

Rights error creating Calendar in Public Folders
OK this is maddening because it should be so simple. I am trying to create a Calendar in the root of All Public Folders. I click File/New/Folder, select All Public Folders, type the name and select Appointment Items as the "contains" type and it errors with: Unable to create the folder. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. See the folder contact or your system administrator. This is Exchange 5.5. I am logged onto NT4 as the Administrator account and I am logged into Outlook using the e-mail account associated with the Administr...

Blocking forwarding in public folders
Exchange 5.5 I need to create a new public folder which my users and people outside of the company will be posting to. Unfortunately, the data being posted is proprietary and the originator would like us to block the ability of our users to forward the posts outside of the company (for this folder only). Can this be done, and if so, how would I go about doing it. Thank you. that would not be easy, if it's even possible...if people have the rights to view the folder contents, and they also have rights to send/receive Internet email, I don't see how you could stop them from forwarding...

Address Book in Public Folders
I have company contacts in a public folder for everyone to use. Everything works great except for the fact that when press the "To:" button the address book comes up with email addresses and fax numbers. This is not the case with my Personal Contacts. How can I get rid of these fax numbers? Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since there are many client- and server-based components that can use such addresses. One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for ho...

Search in sub-folders in Public Folders
Hi! I run a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2 with Public Folders. The Public Folders only contain Adress Books, nested in other address books (kind of sub-folders in folders). They are visible as such in the Microsoft Outlook 2003 SP2 client on the user desktop. My issue is that the end user can't make an advanced search (or event a simple one) in ALL the address books at once: he or she can only search in one address book at a time, which is not useful since he or she doesn't know in which sub-folder the contact is. If he tries to make a "global" search, the Outlook cl...

Contacts created in public folders
Hello, Is there a possibility to make contacts that have been created by a user under a Public Folder to appear in the Global address list? Regards, Sol Sol wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a possibility to make contacts that have been created by a > user under a Public Folder to appear in the Global address list? > > Regards, > > Sol No - only AD contacts (and other mail-enabled AD objects) will show up there. You can let users use the PF as an address book, though - have them right-click on it, go to properties, Outlook Address Book tab, and tick the box. ...

Cannot Read Emails in Public Folders
We have Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 running in native mode. Client is Outlook 2003 There are two Public Folders that are e-mail enabled. I can send email to them and in Outlook I can see the list of mail items however when I (as administrator) go to open them I get the message Can't open this item. Unknown Error. The strange thing is yesterday, when I set up these folders and sent a test message to them - I could open them. Now today I cannot open any of the previous messages sent yesterday or new ones sent now. I can however delete the items! I can post to the folder but a...

Accessing documents in public folders slow after move
I originally had a single server Exchange 2000 orgnization and decided to upgrade to Exchange 2003 by adding a an Exchange 2003 server and performing the steps in kb art. 822931, "How to Remove the First Exchange 2003 Server Computer from the Site". I have not uninstalled Exchange from the original server yet, but it is turned off for a few days to see if any problems arise without it. The problem i observe is this: When opening documents that have been published in PF`s Outlook appears to hang, a 20k word document may take up to two minutes to load. Plenty bandwith avail...

search in public folders and subfolders
Hello, This is question that was probably post more than once. Is it possible to search documents in a folders and his subfolders in the Public Folders? In the Advanced Search when you click browse you can't select the option subfolders. But it is possible when you try a search in the personal folders. Does someone have the answer? thanks, Gilles Gilles Gandini wrote: > Hello, > > This is question that was probably post more than once. > > Is it possible to search documents in a folders and his subfolders in > the Public Folders? No, alas. Isn't supported. I ...

Remove "in Public Folders" from entries in Favorite Folders???? #2
Under Favorite Folders, all the favorites that point to public folders have "in Public Folders" appended to the Favorites name. This means I have to make the column artificially wide in order ot see the number of unread messages in those folders. Is there way to display Favorites so that the phrase "in Public Folders" does not appear as part of the folder name? Thanks. Jace You can right-click on a folder in Favorites in the Folder List and select Rename to rename the folder to whatever you want. That won't affect its link to the source folder. -- Ken Slovak [MVP ...

Calender ressource in Public Folders...
Hello Is it possible to create a public folder calender and mark it as an ressource - so meeting requests get booked automatically? Best Regards Heino This is not possible w/o other tools See http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/skedresource.htm#info "Heino Skov" <hsk@businessmann_fjern_dette.dk> wrote in message news:40d03c98$0$23868$14726298@news.sunsite.dk... > Hello > > Is it possible to create a public folder calender and mark it as an > ressource - so meeting requests get booked automatically? > > Best Regards > > Heino > > ...

Wrong Message count in Public Folders>
Hi, I have an issue where I have public flders on my 2002 outlook client. When I browse to various folders it comes up with the wrong information in the lower left hand corner. Example being I have 6 messages in one public folder all unread - however at the bottom left pane - it tells me I have 6 message and only 5 unread? Another folder has 16 messages in it with 9 unread, but it tells me there are 10 unread?? Any clues? Help appreciated! Cheers Chris. ...

Calendar in Public Folders as a Schedulable resource
We have a calendar in public folders (Exchange 5.5) that's used to schedule a conference room. I would like to somehow incorporate this as a resource or a mailbox in Outlook so we can invite this resource to a meeting and it would automatically schedule that time in the calendar. I currently have it residing in Public Folders so all can see it, but am not wedded to this method if there's a better solution. Any suggestions? I would think this would be a common request, but couldn't find any info on it. Thanks, IIRC, the problem with using a public folder for this is that you don...

Views in Public Folders
Is there a way to make views in a public folder available to everyone? ...

How do I open attachments in Public Folders from Outlook Web Acce.
Hi, i'm using a [hosted] exchange service and have successfully been able to add word/excel files to our public folders, and colleagues have successfully been able to open them. However, I can't seem to be able to ope these when using Outlook Web Access - even when i've created them myself. What do I need to do to enable this? Many thanks, ...

Problem: Calendars from public folders shows up as "Calendarname in Public folders"
Hello! Is it possible to remove the "in Public folders" text that is appended to all PF-calendar names in Outlook? This is a major problem for our meeting-room staff, that needs to have 15 calendars open at once.. All they see is "in Publ.." on all calendars, instead of the name of the calendar "M1". Also they have to check all calendars in the "Other calendars" box every time they open Outlook. Is it possible to have these calendars checked so they'll be automatically displayed? Thanks! BTW, this is Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 ricmik <r...

Unread Message in Public Folders
Hello, the bold number next to Public Folders, showing the number of unread messages, does not match the number of actual unread messages in the folders. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office 97 but this did not fix it. Any ideas? Thanks. Randy What happens if you refresh the view? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Randy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | Hello, the bold number next to Public Folders, showing the | number of unread messag...

Some messages in Public Folders not viewable by NNTP readers
Hi there, We've just moved our public folders & mailboxes from Ex2k to Ex2k3. (Exch2k3 is a single server running Win2k3 - no sp1 though). NNTP is enabled, using no authentication. I followed the steps to rehome public & system folders according to article 307917. The replicas from the old server have been removed from all folders. The issue is that Outlook clients can browse all the messages & post to the public folders with no problem. With Outlook Express, only certain messages are viewable, and I can't determine the common factor on the non-viewable message...