remote connect to exchange server message question

Hello all,

If using Outlook 2002 on Windows XP at home, and using a dsl VPN connection
to connect to your offices Exchange Server 2000;

and when setting up the connection at home the very first time you
accidentally uncheck the "leave messages on server" button;

and then all the messages from exchange server at the office are downloded
to your home machine;

and then when you get to the office all your messages are gone (becaouse
they are at home);

how do you change this back at home, so all the messages won't be downloaded
to the home machine?

I have been through every setup file & search feature & help page I can find
& I can't figure out how to change it back???

Someone please help.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

GMP.

0
gprice (2)

Greg M. Price wrote:

<snip>

> and when setting up the connection at home the very first time you
> accidentally uncheck the "leave messages on server" button;

Don't use POP. Use Exchange. You're already able to connect using VPN, so
just create a profile that uses Exchange and access the mailbox/server
directly. You can sync to an offline file (OST) for offline use.

> and then all the messages from exchange server at the office are
> downloded to your home machine;
> and then when you get to the office all your messages are gone
> (becaouse they are at home);
> how do you change this back at home, so all the messages won't be
> downloaded to the home machine?

Don't use PST files in the Outlook profile - have remote users use only the
Exchange Server and Outlook Address Book services. You can import from the
PST file to the Exchange mailbox to get the messages back, and then get rid
of the personal folders service.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/6/2003 3:46:41 PM
ok - cool Thanks.  I wasn't using pop mail, but it was sending the items to
the personal folders & deleting them from the exchange server....i figured
it out now!  Thanks for the help!!!

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Greg M. Price wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > and when setting up the connection at home the very first time you
> > accidentally uncheck the "leave messages on server" button;
>
> Don't use POP. Use Exchange. You're already able to connect using VPN, so
> just create a profile that uses Exchange and access the mailbox/server
> directly. You can sync to an offline file (OST) for offline use.
>
> > and then all the messages from exchange server at the office are
> > downloded to your home machine;
> > and then when you get to the office all your messages are gone
> > (becaouse they are at home);
> > how do you change this back at home, so all the messages won't be
> > downloaded to the home machine?
>
> Don't use PST files in the Outlook profile - have remote users use only
the
> Exchange Server and Outlook Address Book services. You can import from the
> PST file to the Exchange mailbox to get the messages back, and then get
rid
> of the personal folders service.

0
gprice (2)
12/6/2003 6:34:03 PM
Glad to help - when you mentioned "leave messages on server", that's a POP
thing, so you confused me. ;-)

Greg M. Price wrote:
> ok - cool Thanks.  I wasn't using pop mail, but it was sending the
> items to the personal folders & deleting them from the exchange
> server....i figured it out now!  Thanks for the help!!!
>

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%23$IOpABvDHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Greg M. Price wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> and when setting up the connection at home the very first time you
>>> accidentally uncheck the "leave messages on server" button;
>>
>> Don't use POP. Use Exchange. You're already able to connect using
>> VPN, so just create a profile that uses Exchange and access the
>> mailbox/server directly. You can sync to an offline file (OST) for
>> offline use.
>>
>>> and then all the messages from exchange server at the office are
>>> downloded to your home machine;
>>> and then when you get to the office all your messages are gone
>>> (becaouse they are at home);
>>> how do you change this back at home, so all the messages won't be
>>> downloaded to the home machine?
>>
>> Don't use PST files in the Outlook profile - have remote users use
>> only the Exchange Server and Outlook Address Book services. You can
>> import from the PST file to the Exchange mailbox to get the messages
>> back, and then get rid of the personal folders service.

0
lanwench (7567)

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

Connecting multiple IF statements into one formula
I am trying to create a formula using multiple IF statements. Individually they all work but I don't know how to connect them in into one formula. Basically, 4 possible date ranges that would each produce a different text value. Any suggestions? =IF(AND(I1>=DATEVALUE("1-Jan"),I1<=DATEVALUE("31-Mar")),"Spring Assortment")*IF(AND(I1>=DATEVALUE("1-Apr"),I1<=DATEVALUE("30-Jun")),"Summer Assortment")*IF(AND(I1>=DATEVALUE("1-Jul"),I1<=DATEVALUE("30-Sep")),"Fall Assortment"...

Question about modal userform.....
My userform has various controls which allow the user to enter data. (i.e textboxes, calendar control, etc...). I load the userform as follows: Userform1.Show ' ' Code here runs after userform is closed! ' My question is....will the Visual Basic stop and wait at the "Userform1.Show" line until the user is done entering data and they close it out??? I'm just worried that the form is loaded and that VBA continues exiting the code below the "userform1.show" line. thankx No, you are okay, the code flow is passed to the code in the fo...

Exchange backup isn't working
Exchange 2003 running on win 2003 standard. About a week ago a defrag was done on the database and the backups were working. Suddenly we started to recieve errors that backups were failing. The errors in Event viewer are NtBackup ID 8001 and 8019. The backup report log says the following: Backup Type: Normal Backup started on 8/31/2005 at 7:57 AM. The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d). ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Erro...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Multiple Virtual Server Problems
Hi! I have problem with multiple POP3/IMAP4 virtual servers on Exchange 2003. I have Default Virtual Server POP3/IMAP4 and wanted to create the second secure server with the same IP address. The created second virtual server (POP3 or IMAP4) cannot be startet. There is an eventview warning: Event ID: 1036 Source: POP3Svc Category: General Error-Massage: “An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: server instance number 2 failed to start with error 0x800cc801.” All my port and IP configurations for virtual servers are correct. I have the following configurations ...

Logman for Exchange performance monitoring
I'm trying to schedule daily collections of a ton of Exchange counters and wanted to automate it; I'm looking at using logman.exe to get this taken care of but no matter how much I read the documentation, I can't get the syntax right. I have the Microsoft documentation on logman but I think I am just not visualizing things--- could someone walk me through the order/steps for getting this to work? For example... do I need to create a collection, add all of the counters to the collection, and then start logman into that collection? I'm kind of lost! Thanks in advance! ...

Process Server #3
I can't seem to find much documentation on this other than the Online Help. Has anybody used this before? We are running a custom application that can be fairly processer intensive and would like to setup process servers. But from what I can tell of the tool, it only seems to pick up Standard GP functions. Is there any way to get the Process Server to run custom code? Thanks, Dennis. ...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

Outlook Express disconnects internet connection.
Any one help please. When I start OE it automatically disconnects my dial-up DSL connection! Tried all of the fixes in Knowledge Base but no luck yet.IE6 does not do this when I open that so whats up? Cheers. Steve B <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Any one help please. > When I start OE it automatically disconnects my dial-up > DSL connection! Tried all of the fixes in Knowledge Base > but no luck yet.IE6 does not do this when I open that so > whats up? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Am I running out of Exchange folder storage?
Win 2003 - Exchange Standard 2003 Please tell me if I am running out of alloted storage on both Public folder and mailbox folder. Do I need to move up to Enterprise Exchange to avoid 16GB limit in total folder storage? Thanks a million! Bill ------------ Event Type: Information Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store Event Category: General Event ID: 1221 Date: 9/15/2005 Time: 4:17:19 AM User: N/A Computer: EXCHANGESERVER Description: The database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (EXCHANGESERVER)" has 5 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has termin...

Messages not appearing in Inbox!!!
I am running Windows XP and Outlook 2003. Everything was working fine until I installed a new hard drive and moved the existing C: files to the new drive which is now the boot drive. I used Seagates program to move the files. Now, Outlook starts and will send without any problems (the sent messages show up in the sent folder). But when outlook downloads a message, it doesn't go to the inbox or any other place I can find. I checked through web-mail and the message is being downloaded and removed from the POP server. I did an advanced search and the message doesn't appear to be in ...

Exchange events not firing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C5A4FE.1FC54E80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi I have an Exchange server and an application that relies on Exchange = events being fired on a folder when items are added/deleted. This has been working fine, but now the events do not appear to be = firing. I have checked that permissions on the mailbox and the event = handler in COM+ are fine, and there is still a SystemMaibox on the = server that looks OK (although how do I tell?) The only chan...

OLEDB connection from Access to RMS
I am well-versed in the design and development of database applications, and want to connect to the RMS store operations database via MS Access. I need help configuring the OLEDB settings in Access to connect to the RMS store operations database. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me the settings that need to be selected to make the connection. -- FRB hi FRB, here are the settings: Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=sa;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Initial Catalog=RMSSample;Data Source=RMSServer the Catalog is your database name and Data Source is Name of RMS Server. Ra...

Putting Database on Server so other Employees can access it
I just put a database I created on our server. The other 2 people who will be using it arent able to open it up though. Can someone please point me in the right direction of how to fix this so they can use it? Thanks for your help!!! 1. All users of the database must have at least read, write, create, delete (or modify) privileges to the folder holding the database file. Not just the database .mdb file, but the entire folder. 2. Open the database and go to Tools, Options, and Advanced Tab. Set the Default Open mode to Shared and the Default Record Locking to Edited Record. (...

Do I even need the Exchange DST patch?
Hi, Do we need to install the Exchange 2003 DST patch if we never use Group Calendaring / Scheduling? (Done in another standalone CRM program) We're running Exchange 2003 in a front-end, back-end config and have been at SP0 for a few years, and things have been (knock knock) pretty good. It looks like we'd have to go through a fair amount to update to SP1, then (possibly) to SP2 - on both servers, configure IMF, backup _ uninstall/reinstall antispam & antivirus packages, run the Time Zone wizard, etc. etc. I don't want to risk breaking anything to fix something that might...

remote connections
In SS2K , how to enable remote connections ? For example, from my machine, within SEM I'd like to create a "New SQL Server Registration" connection to that machine. This has always worked for me in the past, but today I've encountered an SS2K instance which gives me a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())" error. Does it matter if the target instance is configured as "Windows Authentication" vs "Mixed Mode" ? I'm attempting the "New SQL Server Registration" via Windows Authentication. I...

deleted messages disappear
when I delete an email it does not go into the delete folder it disappears. I don't the folder set to auto delete. I am running outlook 2002 and checked my settings with others in my office. Any help would be greatly appreciated. gus Check to see if you have a view set on that folder, something like unread messages. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no a...

Remote Office VPN Internet Access
Hi Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL. Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the VPN. I am going to add 2nd ADSL line to split off and soley route the VoIP traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local', the VPN would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files. -- Many Thanks Drew In article <6...

Connection retries
How do I limit the number of connection retries in Exchange on SBS2003. I've checked in the online help, but it refers to Override tabs that do not appear to me on the SMTP Connector. Is their perhaps a registry setting I need to manually modify? Can you explain what you mean by connection retries? Are you talking about outbound connections? If so, there isn't a per-se limit on the number of times the connection is retried, rather it is a time limit. The default timeout setting is 2 days, after which a message is NDR'd back to the sender. If this isn't what you are ...

Help with Delivery/Resolution problem
I will make my problem description brief for the moment as I am currently troubleshooting the issue. I have Two Exchange Servers: Adams, and Troosevelt My accounts on Troosevelt have a recipient policy that includes the following @domain: @test.company.com I have a third party hosting company that actually manages the mx records and aliases for test.company.com When anyone on troosevelt sends an email to anyone@test.company.com the following results happen: If an account resides on troosevelt, the email seems to be delivered if an account that has the @test.company.com ending, but ...

Time Question
My problem in 12.50 hours is 12:30, How do I get excel to convert the first one to the second one? Hi =12.50/24 and format as time Arvi Laanemets "Kelly Thompson" <KellyThompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E439D90-901F-4E16-8150-A75ADBC4BF90@microsoft.com... > My problem in 12.50 hours is 12:30, How do I get excel to convert the first > one to the second one? Ok that helps alot now what is the 12.5 is a caluaction for other cells? "Arvi Laanemets" wrote: > Hi > > =12.50/24 > and format as time > > > Arvi ...

Wildcard Mailbox in Exchange 2003
Is it possible to set up a mailbox to be the 'catch-all' for all misaddressed/misspelled incoming emails, so that they're not missed? I am having a difficult time finding this in the documentation. Thanks. This relates to Exchange 2000 not sure if it is still valid for Exchange 2003 but its a place to start. You can create an SMTP Event Sink to handle unresolved recipients, here is a link from the Microsoft Knowledgebase that explains how this is done: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q315631 I personally would recommend you look at Mailbasket from ...

SBS2003 Exchange issue
When trying to connect to the mailboxes from Outlook 2003, I am getting strange errors such as "unable to conenct with exchange server". I went and checked on the properties of the new users and when I go to the "Properties" then the "Exchange Advanced" tab, then the "Mailbox Rights" I get: "The operation could not be completed because the store is not mounted" ID no: c1041732 Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension ----and----- When I try and connect to the OWA I get this: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable The weird thing is that ...