Registry Location of Data Files

Hello,
I help in managing a pretty large network. As we are sadly using
pretty old computers people tend to crash\change computers pretty
often. To prevent large data loss they save important mail either on
the exchange server or in a personal folder the .pst file of which
usually should sit on their private network folder. I have a small
scripting applet running on each computer capturing a snapshot of the
computer status and saving it to a database on the network. I would
like it to also add a column for the location of the outlook data
files, so that I can see which users save their .pst files locally
instead of on the network.
In order to do that I need to know how the locations of the data files
in outlook are saved. I would suspect that it involves the registry
somehow, which is not a problem, but what I have found seemed to be a
bit too user personalized. I would appreciate any help in this, even
if it would mean that the script would have to jump from one key to
another in order to find the required information...

Thanks a lot,

Oren

Hi Oren,

The registry location of the files are under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\ProfileName

But they are not readable and stored in Binary values.
This VBScript code can tell you the path to any personal storage file (PST,OST).
You should run it
when Outlook is open.

set outlook = createobject("outlook.application")
set ns = outlook.GetNamespace("MAPI")

For Each item In ns.stores
    If item.FilePath <> "" Then MsgBox item.FilePath
Next

HTH

-----
Shay Levi
$cript Fanatic
http://scriptolog.blogspot.com
Hebrew weblog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/scriptfanatic

> Hello,
> I help in managing a pretty large network. As we are sadly using
> pretty old computers people tend to crash\change computers pretty
> often. To prevent large data loss they save important mail either on
> the exchange server or in a personal folder the .pst file of which
> usually should sit on their private network folder. I have a small
> scripting applet running on each computer capturing a snapshot of the
> computer status and saving it to a database on the network. I would
> like it to also add a column for the location of the outlook data
> files, so that I can see which users save their .pst files locally
> instead of on the network.
> In order to do that I need to know how the locations of the data files
> in outlook are saved. I would suspect that it involves the registry
> somehow, which is not a problem, but what I have found seemed to be a
> bit too user personalized. I would appreciate any help in this, even
> if it would mean that the script would have to jump from one key to
> another in order to find the required information...
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Oren

0
no3889 (3)
1/1/2008 5:11:17 PM
Storing pst on network drives is not supported and can lead to data loss.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Oren" <Oren.Kaplan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I help in managing a pretty large network. As we are sadly using
> pretty old computers people tend to crash\change computers pretty
> often. To prevent large data loss they save important mail either on
> the exchange server or in a personal folder the .pst file of which
> usually should sit on their private network folder. I have a small
> scripting applet running on each computer capturing a snapshot of the
> computer status and saving it to a database on the network. I would
> like it to also add a column for the location of the outlook data
> files, so that I can see which users save their .pst files locally
> instead of on the network.
> In order to do that I need to know how the locations of the data files
> in outlook are saved. I would suspect that it involves the registry
> somehow, which is not a problem, but what I have found seemed to be a
> bit too user personalized. I would appreciate any help in this, even
> if it would mean that the script would have to jump from one key to
> another in order to find the required information...
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Oren

0
outlookmvp (5838)
1/2/2008 2:45:29 AM
that's very weird because as far as I can see it has worked this way
wonderfully for years... the data loss can occure if you dont backup
the network once in a while or if you have to have all data including
current day always up to date if you have a power surge or whatever -
both of which can lead to data loss anyhow on any system. :-\

Oren

On Jan 2, 4:45 am, "Diane Poremsky" wrote:
> Storing pst on network drives is not supported and can lead to data loss.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Need Help with Common Tasks?http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> Outlook 2007:http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
>
> Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com
>
> "Oren" wrote in message

> > Hello,
> > I help in managing a pretty large network. As we are sadly using
> > pretty old computers people tend to crash\change computers pretty
> > often. To prevent large data loss they save important mail either on
> > the exchange server or in a personal folder the .pst file of which
> > usually should sit on their private network folder. I have a small
> > scripting applet running on each computer capturing a snapshot of the
> > computer status and saving it to a database on the network. I would
> > like it to also add a column for the location of the outlook data
> > files, so that I can see which users save their .pst files locally
> > instead of on the network.
> > In order to do that I need to know how the locations of the data files
> > in outlook are saved. I would suspect that it involves the registry
> > somehow, which is not a problem, but what I have found seemed to be a
> > bit too user personalized. I would appreciate any help in this, even
> > if it would mean that the script would have to jump from one key to
> > another in order to find the required information...
>
> > Thanks a lot,
>
> > Oren
Thanks a lot!

I'll run some tests with that (have some pretty old configurations out
there) but it seems like you've given me pretty much all I need to
start from.

Thanks again!

Oren

On Jan 1, 7:11 pm, Shay Levi wrote:
> Hi Oren,
>
> The registry location of the files are under:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging
> Subsystem\Profiles\ProfileName
>
> But they are not readable and stored in Binary values.
> This VBScript code can tell you the path to any personal storage file (PST,OST).
> You should run it
> when Outlook is open.
>
> set outlook = createobject("outlook.application")
> set ns = outlook.GetNamespace("MAPI")
>
> For Each item In ns.stores
>     If item.FilePath <> "" Then MsgBox item.FilePath
> Next
>
> HTH
>
> -----
> Shay Levi
> $cript Fanatichttp://scriptolog.blogspot.com
> Hebrew weblog:http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/scriptfanatic
>
> > Hello,
> > I help in managing a pretty large network. As we are sadly using
> > pretty old computers people tend to crash\change computers pretty
> > often. To prevent large data loss they save important mail either on
> > the exchange server or in a personal folder the .pst file of which
> > usually should sit on their private network folder. I have a small
> > scripting applet running on each computer capturing a snapshot of the
> > computer status and saving it to a database on the network. I would
> > like it to also add a column for the location of the outlook data
> > files, so that I can see which users save their .pst files locally
> > instead of on the network.
> > In order to do that I need to know how the locations of the data files
> > in outlook are saved. I would suspect that it involves the registry
> > somehow, which is not a problem, but what I have found seemed to be a
> > bit too user personalized. I would appreciate any help in this, even
> > if it would mean that the script would have to jump from one key to
> > another in order to find the required information...
> > Thanks a lot,
>
> > Oren
Oren <Oren.Kaplan@gmail.com> wrote:

> that's very weird because as far as I can see it has worked this way
> wonderfully for years... the data loss can occure if you dont backup
> the network once in a while or if you have to have all data including
> current day always up to date if you have a power surge or whatever -
> both of which can lead to data loss anyhow on any system. :-\

It's more than that.  The I/O protocols used for networking differ from the
I/O protocols used when accessing a local file and the former are not
well-suited to the type of I/O required to operate upon a PST.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
1/2/2008 7:01:31 PM
oh, I see... hmm - well, I still think its safer this way - when you
have hard disks as badly handled as I've seen here - though I *will*
take this up to my boss...
Most of the mail is saved on the exchange server anyhow and the access
to the PSTs is only for the personal folders... but I see the point.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. :-)

PS - excuse me, Diane, for not taking a deeper look into what you said
- it simply sounded like something I might read in some MS help page
and I dont trust most of them untill and if I understand and agree
with whats behind writing them.

On Jan 2, 9:01 pm, "Brian Tillman" wrote:
> Oren wrote:
> > that's very weird because as far as I can see it has worked this way
> > wonderfully for years... the data loss can occure if you dont backup
> > the network once in a while or if you have to have all data including
> > current day always up to date if you have a power surge or whatever -
> > both of which can lead to data loss anyhow on any system. :-\
>
> It's more than that.  The I/O protocols used for networking differ from the
> I/O protocols used when accessing a local file and the former are not
> well-suited to the type of I/O required to operate upon a PST.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Data Labels #5
Since my chart is a daily chart over a few years, I don't have data labels displayed on my chart. However, the user can run their curser over a point on the chart and it will display the date and value at that point. My problem is the date is sometimes displayed in it's numeric equivalent (i.e "38546") and other times it actually displays the date (7/13/05). How can I stop the chart from displaying the numeric equivalent? I can't figure out why sometimes the date shows and somtimes the numeric equivalent shows. Thanks! Do you have just one data set or several...

Oversized PST File
If I purchase Outlook 2003, will it read my oversized (2GB) pst file that my Outlook 2000 currently does not read? Not likely. Outlook 2003 doesn't have a 2 GB limit for it's new Unicode PST files. However, PST files created in previous versions of Outlook are non-Unicode PST files and still have the 2 GB limit. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide to OneNote 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "townbuilder" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

Error in filed on subform
I designed a form with record source a table containing among them the numeric (long integer) field ContactID. I added the field to the form using the field List (drag and drop). The field gives me the value #Name? when shown in the form. All other fields in the form are displayed correct. I checked and double checked if the name of the field is not misspelled but as I used drag and drop from the field list, what can go wrong here? When I invoke the Query Builder and look at ContactID, it is shown normally and has normal values. The form is used as a sub form but does not have Linked Chi...

Can't delete files
I have files on my desktop and in word that I cannot delete. The message says that the files are open in system, but nothing else is running. I am the only user on this computer. Please help! See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm and you may have to reboot to release the most stubborn files. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><&...

Registry Security Issue
Client has locked down users. The normal users cannot get into SO. They are getting this message "Your Windows account does not allow you to write to the registry" What minimum rights must I give them? All Admin users can run RMS just fine. Rich, This is a common problem. RMS was built a number of years ago before the security push. Most of the information is stored in the registry, so the user needs to be able to read and write to the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Retail Management System\Store Operations key. Its easier just to give them full access to this key instead of try...

Location Translation ID "ISSUE"...which should not exist, I am sur
I believe that I have answered the question as to why I am going grey. The task that I am struggling with, should be simple enough, yet....! During the original conversion/migration etc. from our NT server, running GP 7.0 PSQL (v8) to our MSSQL server, running GP 7.5 (SQL), I used my laptop as an intermediary system, following the procedure of first installing PSQL, than GP 7.0 (Server/Client), copying all of the company files from the NT server, etc. Than I upgraded this to GP 7.5 PSQL, and followed this with the migration to the SQL server. Everything worked smoothly, and we have been runn...

Create a new 2005 data file with 2004 settings.
Hello: I am using Money 2004. I would like to create a new data file for 2005 but retain my settings from the 2004 data file I currently have. Is there a way to do this? Basically I need to use the 2004 data file settings as a template for 2005. I want to retain my accounts, and various lists... Thanks Harold In microsoft.public.money, harold wrote: > >I am using Money 2004. I would like to create a new data file for 2005 but >retain my settings from the 2004 data file I currently have. Is there a way >to do this? Basically I need to use the 2004 data file settings as a ...

Exception while exporting data from .net to excel 2003 using sqlse
Hai Application : C#.Net, Windows application BackEnd : SqlServer2000 Excel : Ms-Excel 2003 We have a situation where our data is not exporting from C# windows application to Ms-Excel 2003.we have found that our application cannot load data into excel more than 911 characters in a cell,If i add 1 character more to this group of 911 characters,then i receive this "Exception from HRESULT:0x800A03EC" exception message.so please tell me do u can help me out with any solution,or any patches of microsoft will help us. ...

How to add cell locater?
I am somewhat new to using excel but am needing to learn how to use i pretty quick. I have began a list of svc. points for my company and it has grow substantially in the last few months and need to know how to add button to a cell that will allow me to pull up a specific city withou having to go searching for it using a filter. Is there such a process and if so, is there also a way that I can ad new cities with out having to scroll down my list and add it to th list in alphabetical order. This has really become a big pain. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try &qu...

Record Locking & File Corruption
Hi I asked a similar question a few days ago and I the response wasn't clear to me If ticking the 'Edited Record' in the 'Default Record Locking' will potentially avoid file corruption that currently happens quite often? Thank you, Samuel No. Switching to pessimistic locking is unlikely to reduce the incidence of file corruption. The solution will be to track down what is causing the corruption, and address that issue. Here's a starting point of things to look for: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-25.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Aust...

Here is fix for Windows file problems
If you have installed a Windows update and started having problems opening, closing, copying files, see: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&mid=1fe358b1-c8eb-4217-ad2a-4b9fcf741916 ...

registry cannot load
I'm trying to find a way to restore windows xp. Registry doesn't load. Best I can get is the Blue screen with Windows logo but no starting message. It began at shut down I think. Just before that I shut down spybot and saw a message about unloading the hives. It seemed stuck and I shut off the power. Next day the System wouldn't load. I tried saving the 5 config files and using the repair files. They don't work. I can get command console. I tried to restore with HP's non-destructive but when it gets to the end it says it couldn't update the regist...

Registry
Unable to find any specific category for a registry question so am posting the question here. The registry on the computer needs to be cleaned. Most of the errors I am getting are related to registry problems. I am not computer knowledgeable to clean the registry manually. I wonder if someone could suggest a good, reliable and trustworthy registry cleaner software and that would not be too expensive. Thanks! -- Barbara On 07/08/2010 05:09 PM, Barbara wrote: > Unable to find any specific category for a registry question so am posting > the question here. The registr...

Formatting of data detail on a new sheet from a Pivot Table
Hi everyone I have Excel 2003 and have successfully created a Pivot Table which presents data as I need. However, when I double click one of the entries to give details of the entries which contribute to the data, the new sheet that's created doesn't retain the formatting of the original raw data. One of the columns of data (in the raw data) is formatted as [m]:ss.00 but the data is presented on the new sheet formatted as hh:mm:ss. If I am to share the pivot table and data with others, I'd like to be able to retain the original formatting. Is this possible? I know that...

Converting Publisher Greeting Card to *.pdf file
Hi, I have Publisher 2002 SP-2 installed and have created a greeting card that I wish to convert to a *.pdf file so that I can send it to someone who does not have Publisher to view it. I have tried to print to Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5.2001101100 in order to convert to *.pdf. The progress window in Publisher seems to indicate that the pages have been printed successfully to Distiller; however, when I check the file that has been created, the file size is 0 bytes. Obviously the conversion has not worked. The document in question is a bi-fold greeting card (hence 4 pages) with full...

Saving XLS File as CSV
I have an xls file with worksheet made up of 3 columns of data. I save it in Excel 2003 as csv file. When I open the csv file, the columns are lumped into one column. When I do the same thing in Excel 2000, 3 column appear and this is the desired result. How do I make 3 columns appear in excel 2003? Thanks in advance Menu, Data , Convert... Yes, it's tricky and annoying. If you have just used the Menu, Data , Convert... in XL2003 then the next csv file you open will magically spread itself into 3 cloumns. As if X knew you wanted it like that. However if you close Excel, it seems ...

changed domain canot recover outlook data
I changed domain, and now I can't get the data copyed to new profile and can not log into old profile HELP No. No help until you post some information upon which to provide help. You figure it out. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com asked: | I changed domain, and now I can't get the data copyed to | new profile and can not log into old...

Data from xml file gets truncated when writing to text file
Hello everybody, I have an xml doc and I am trying to write the values from xml file to a tab delimited text file. Currently, what I am doing is I am reading xml file through XpathNavigaotr and manipulating all the nodes,elements and attributes than I am writing those values to a text file using stream writer. Now coming to my problem When I am writing data to the text file value of the last record is getting truncated. My code sample for formatting the xml looks like this Private Sub Format(ByVal myXPathNavigator As XPathNavigator) Dim strtemp As String = String.Empty ...

Registry Fix for MS Money 2006 and MS Money for PocketPC 2006 in Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center
Registry Fix for MS Money 2006 and MS Money for PocketPC 2006 in Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center For WHATEVER reason, Microsoft dropped support for one of its most useful, albeit free, utilities I have EVER used, and used EVERY SINGLE DAY, ALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY, since It has been available: synching Microsoft Money 2006 with my PocketPC. I have purchased EVERY VERSION of Microsoft Money since its inception, and have truly used it to my benefit, and was ECSTATIC when they brought about the ability to synch that great product with my PocketPC by installing the freely downloada...

Co-located web server accessing local CRM?
Greetings! I'm currently evaluating an MSCRM demo installation (on Small Business Server). It's looking like a good fit given the possibility of some customization, which brings me to a couple of integration/implementation questions. Our office is connected to a data center via VPN. I would like to hook some current functionality being served by our colocated IIS & Sql Servers into CRM functionality that will be hosted inhouse. For example, I would like to automate the creation of Leads into CRM from web forms running on the colo'd server (i.e. when a visitor submits the "...

How can I run a spreasheet over range of input data ?
I have set up a work sheet that takes input data (a number) from a cell, goes through all kinds of calculations based on other cells, and finally puts out a results in a output cell. Using this sheet, how can I sweep the input data over a range (min,max] and record the output data over the sweep? Thanks for any hint. -- Bernd ...

IE in Registry
Anyone know what IE is listed as in the registry? My IE won't start. I get the hour glass and then it stops. Maybe it needs enabled, huh? "New World Disorder" <nwd@chugga.net> wrote in message news:hoe6dt$lgc$1@news.albasani.net... > Anyone know what IE is listed as in the registry? > > My IE won't start. I get the hour glass and then it stops. Maybe it > needs enabled, huh? > iexplorer.exe is the name of all versions og Internet Explorer. That name is what I would expect to find in the registry. No, I don't believe th...

full backup not flushing logs files
Hi. I just introduce a new Exchange Cluster on my environment (Ex2003 SP2 running on 2 node Act/Pass Win2k03 R2 cluster). I noticed that went I do a full backup using ntbackup utility on node 1 the logs files are not being committed and flushed. Backup job is succesfully completed. Other backup jobs works just fine. This only happen on node1, node 2 works ok. servers are identical (cluster) and already review cabling. any ideas? TIA -- Elvyn Gutierrez Pellerano & Herrera MIS/Lan Manager "Elvyn Gutierrez" <elvyng@codetel.net.do> wrote in message news:eyGE489...

blank doc-retrieve data
Although the one page doc file is 39kb, it appears as a blank page, how can I retrieve/view the file? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from mayra <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > Although the one page doc file is 39kb, it appears as a > blank page, how can I retrieve/view the file? At 39k it is probably an empty file. Try opening it in Notepad or Word using "Recover text from any file" and see if you can find something that makes sense. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading...

font locations
In my charts I list alot of words with sub characters. (CO2) The 2 in this word should be subscript. I can not find the option in excel to do this just to the one character. Is it an options? Phyllis, Put the cell into edit mode (double-click it, or press F2). Or use the formula bar. Select only the character to be subscripted. Now use Format, Cells, and set it for subscript. Earl Kiosterud Mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net. -------------------------------------------- "Phyllis Fletcher" <pfletcher@geo-marine.com> wrote in message news:0a1c01c377ab$f4c4ff9...