Reestablishing Outlook Files from a Different Location

Just recovering from a crash with a new hard drive.  Using XP with Outlook
2003 and need to change from the default path to c:\exchange for the location
of all Outlook Files, Mail Boxes, Address Book, Contacts, Folders, etc.
Managed to change path for Address Book, but not the rest.  Not on network
Need to recover old e-mail, folders, etc.  Any and all assistance gratefully
appreciated.
--
Les
0

Les <Les@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Just recovering from a crash with a new hard drive.  Using XP with
> Outlook 2003 and need to change from the default path to c:\exchange
> for the location of all Outlook Files, Mail Boxes, Address Book,
> Contacts, Folders, etc. Managed to change path for Address Book, but
> not the rest.  Not on network Need to recover old e-mail, folders,
> etc.  Any and all assistance gratefully appreciated.

Outlook doesn't have an Address Book.  The Outlook Address Book is just a
view of your Contacts folder.  If you have a Personal Address Book (.pab)
file, it's obsolete and you shouldn't be using it.

That said, is the data file in C:\Exchange a PST or an OST?  If the former,
in Outlook, click FIle>Open>Outlook Data File, browse to C:\Exchange, select
the PST and click OK.  How click Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next and at the
bottom left, choose the PST you just added as the delivery location.  If the
data file is an OST, post back.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/2/2005 2:10:52 PM
Hi Brian.

Thanks for the reply.  The address book (Contacts)is Outlook.pst and has
been recovered, but the *.dbx files, such as Inbox.dbx, folders.dbx,
drafts.dbx etc. have not.  Need to recover these to continue on the road back
to normalcy, it that will ever be possible.   TNX
--
Les

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Les <Les@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Just recovering from a crash with a new hard drive.  Using XP with
> > Outlook 2003 and need to change from the default path to c:\exchange
> > for the location of all Outlook Files, Mail Boxes, Address Book,
> > Contacts, Folders, etc. Managed to change path for Address Book, but
> > not the rest.  Not on network Need to recover old e-mail, folders,
> > etc.  Any and all assistance gratefully appreciated.
>
> Outlook doesn't have an Address Book.  The Outlook Address Book is just a
> view of your Contacts folder.  If you have a Personal Address Book (.pab)
> file, it's obsolete and you shouldn't be using it.
>
> That said, is the data file in C:\Exchange a PST or an OST?  If the former,
> in Outlook, click FIle>Open>Outlook Data File, browse to C:\Exchange, select
> the PST and click OK.  How click Tools>E-mail Accounts>Next and at the
> bottom left, choose the PST you just added as the delivery location.  If the
> data file is an OST, post back.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Les (31)
5/2/2005 3:32:13 PM
Les <Les@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  The address book (Contacts)is Outlook.pst and
> has been recovered, but the *.dbx files, such as Inbox.dbx,
> folders.dbx, drafts.dbx etc. have not.  Need to recover these to
> continue on the road back to normalcy, it that will ever be possible.

DBX files have nothing to do with Outlook.  Those are Outlook Express files.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/2/2005 3:39:59 PM
Hi Again Brian,

Understand *.dbx files For Outlook Express.  Could you tell me what files
are used by Outlook for Folders, Mail Boxes, etc???

Thanks muchly once again.
--
Les

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Les <Les@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply.  The address book (Contacts)is Outlook.pst and
> > has been recovered, but the *.dbx files, such as Inbox.dbx,
> > folders.dbx, drafts.dbx etc. have not.  Need to recover these to
> > continue on the road back to normalcy, it that will ever be possible.
>
> DBX files have nothing to do with Outlook.  Those are Outlook Express files.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
Les (31)
5/2/2005 7:40:07 PM
Les <Les@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Understand *.dbx files For Outlook Express.  Could you tell me what
> files are used by Outlook for Folders, Mail Boxes, etc???

Outlook stores all of its folders in PSTs, usually one.  Here's a list of
all the Outlook files.
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Outlook 2000 allowed FIRST LAST;FIST LAST Outlook 2003 does not?
In Outlook 2000 I used to be able to enter names first name then last name separated by semicolons. In Outlook 2003 I can only enter names last, first;last, first. I don't think this way. How do I re-enable the old behavior? ...

Synchronizing phone with Outlook
Hello all, I'm going to get a phone from Verizon, and want one that will allow me to synchronize my MS Outlook (2002) calendar with the phone's calendar. Do I need Bluetooth? ($$$) Is there free software out there that can do this? I've seen a free program called BitPim, but it doesn't seem to work through Outlook, and it doesn't support a lot of phones. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Rex In article <1121903248.630422.110770@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, rex.eastbourne@gmail.com wrote: > I'm going to get a phone from Verizon, and want one that will allow...

Outlook Views Disappear
I have setup a number of custom views in Outlook at work. They are always there when I first start Outlook but after a while, they disappear. Strange part is that maybe 1 or two of my custom views will show but the rest are gone. I have to close outlook and restart to get them back. Vicious circle. Anyone else seen this type of behavior. If so please respond to thulj@express-scripts.com Thanks Joe ...

Restoring a Single file/folder
I copied over a file on Windows XP Professional and was wondering if there is a way to restore that file to it's previous state. System Restore will not change it back as it says it picked nothing up to restore. Thanks kylec wrote: > I copied over a file on Windows XP Professional and was wondering if > there is a way to restore that file to it's previous state. System > Restore will not change it back as it says it picked nothing up to > restore. Which file was copied? From where to where? Was anything deleted? Was this a system file? If so, what e...

outlook express to outlook
How do you install microsoft and get it working after you have been using outlook express for some time now if anyone has anuy idea please let me know ...

How Security Encryption in Outlook 2000
Q1) How do I determine what I'm using? Q2) Do I use both of these updates that the MS update website suggested after scanning my system? Updated 128-Bit Encryption Provider for Outlook 2000 256 KB / Download time = < 1 min at your connection speed If you are using 128-bit security encryption in Outlook 2000 and you are not using Windows 2000, you need this updated dynamic-link library (DLL) if you install Outlook 2000 Service Release 1a (SR-1a). Last modified date: 08-Feb-2000. Detailed information about this update ============================ Updated 40- or 56-Bit Encryption Provide...

Outlook 2007 Rules & Alerts problem
Just recently my OUtlook 2007 freezes when I try to work with Rules (Tools > Rules & Alerts). Wheneve I try to open that command I get the dreaded hourglass, which does not go away until I manage to shut Outlook with Task Manager. Questions: (1) what could have caused this to happen? And (2) how can it be fixed??? 1) Not enough information. Could be a slow connection to the server or a corruption in the pst-file. For this see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/77 2) Try starting Outlook with the /cleanrules switch; Start-> Run; outlook.exe /cleanrules (note the spa...

View 2002 files from Publisher 2000
I have been given a file to review that is a Publisher 2002 file format. I have Publisher 2000, is there a conversion or utility that I can download to be able to view this file? No, sorry. Ask the originator of the file to save it as a Pub 2000 file. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Bob" <bobjr@teklam.com> wrote in message news:86d901c43233$4157a3c0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have been given a file to review that is a Publisher > 2002 file format. I have Publisher 2000, is there a > conversion or utility that I can download to be able to > view t...

Outlook/Outlook Express Help!!!!
I have both Outlook 2002 and Outlook Express. For some reason I am unable to receive incoming mail on Outlook even though my default is Outlook, It only comes through Express. What else could it be? Please help. I would start removing outlook express all together If you don't want to do that then atleast remove your email account in outlook express. >-----Original Message----- >I have both Outlook 2002 and Outlook Express. For some >reason I am unable to receive incoming mail on Outlook >even though my default is Outlook, It only comes through >Express. W...

Netcsape --> Outlook
Hi there Can anyone telle me which version of Outlook is capable of importing Netscape 7.0 mail and adress book into Outlook. Thanks "Maarten MOSTERT" <maarten.mostert@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:400F8AF3.3010006@wanadoo.fr... > Hi there > > Can anyone telle me which version of Outlook is capable of importing > Netscape 7.0 mail and adress book into Outlook. > > Thanks > None AFAIK. You need to use either Netscape 4.x or Eudora as an intermediary. ...

Problem reestablishing link to OLAP data source from Excel Pivot table
We recently updated our OLAP cube on the production server with a new version (version 2) of the cube (cube name remaining same). Since then we cannot refresh all our older pivot tables which were created using version 1 of the cube. Cube name remaining the same, we thought this was possible since while creating a new link through Excel to an OLAP data source to build a pivot table, we only need to specify the server and the cube names. Our problem is in re-enabling refresh on several pivot tables created using version 1 of cube, without having to recreate them from scratch. Thanks. - Raj ...

Excel Help
hello, i have a loop moving through a folder of files. i have 130 files and each opens incrementally, dumps into a template file and then I want to save the newly filled template as trial 1....trial 130. however, the save function keeps saving to trial 1 for each trial ( i.e., the save as function does not change the name incrementally). Do you happen to know how to do this? Here is my code: Sub ryan_macro() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim i As Integer Dim wbResults As Workbook With Application.FileSearch .NewSearch .LookIn = "C:\Documents and...

Overlapping Appointments not recognized by Outlook
when setting up appointments with overlapping times user's outlook doesn't recognize the overlap and still schedules the meeting. The problem only occurs when scheduling for one resource for all others no problem occurs. I did the following: logged in as the resource and opened Outlook. Tools->options->Calendaring Options->calendar options->resource scheduling-> And of course the check box 'automatically decline conflicting appointments' wasn't checked. So i checked it and logged off from the resource's account. But the problem still persists. What othe...

Outlook Export?
I have have Outlook 2002 and it will not open each day unless I run scanpst.exe. The export feature on the menu, does it export to a text delimited file? Then can I import it back into a new pst? I am hoping to eliminate the corruption. Any suggestions? Thank you Tony Dewar amd@charter.net You shouldn't need to export. Just create a new .PST file using File | New | Outlook Data File, then copy items from one .PST to the other. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the...

Too many different cell formats #10
Dear All I have a quite big excel and i am trying to make some changes in format and i receive the message "Too many different cell format" Probably i have many different cell formats. From where i can set up the format in order to know what must be the format of the excel file? I need away to identify the format from all sheets in order to give to the all sheets as common format as i can. Any ideas? ...

OE6 to Outlook 2000
I was having problems with OE6 so I changed to Outlook 2000 (if you know how I upgrade that to newest version I'd be appreciative). Anyway, after importing messages from OE6 to Outlook, all the messages I sent are not dated, but say "none" under the received column, so I don't have a good chronological hierarchy of my mails. Also when I send a mail (rather than replying to one) the same thing happens...no date. I am sure it is something I am doing wrong but I can't find any setting to correct it. Thank you in advance for any help. Dan On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:33...

Window Live Mail Automatically Files Downloaded Messages
I am wondering if someone can tell me why WLM is downloading new messages in a folder sometimes and not going into the Inbox, or Unread messages? An example is that if someone sends me a message with the subject ABC.... it will go into my ABC folder, not the inbox. The only whay I see it is if I do a search. When the search finds it, it shows as unread? Any help would be appreciated -- David Chisnell Did you install WLMail on a computer that had that message rule in an earlier email program? -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "David Chisnell" <Dav...

setup email account in outlook
Hi, I want to setup an email account in outlook, but my email account is not hotmail, and it asks me about the incoming and outgoing mail server, can I ask how to find the address of the mail server? Thx. Adrian Well...you can look at any documentation that your ISP supplied......or you can visit your ISP's website where most of them put all the details that you might need HTH..Simon "adrian" <adrian8311@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23O7MZzvwDHA.3116@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I want to setup an email account in outlook, but my email account is n...

messages moved to Junk Email folder just disappear (Outlook 2007)
I am using Outlook 2007. When email is manually moved to Junk Email folder the counter is set OK, but the messages is never there. I just see a message, "There are no items to show in this view". Also for the past week NOTHING gets sent to the Junk Email folder although I normally get 2-3 a day. No new software was installed, nor were any changes made within Outlook. I ran the program, "outlook.exe /resetfolders", but that did not help. i am running Vista. Thanks much. Sounds like you have your view set to show unread items only or have a fil...

outlook inbox #8
For some reason I am require to refresh my inbox before I can see any new arriving emails. How can I fix this? OL2002: You Cannot Receive New E-mail Notifications in Environments That Use the Network Address Translation: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305572&Product=ol2002 Windows XP-Based Clients Do Not Receive "New Mail" Notification Messages After You Install Service Pack 1: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815052&Product=ol2002 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion int...

Linked file in Publisher 2000
Hi is there a way to ensure that a linked file in a Publisher document is included within Pack and Go Thanks A ...

Copying rows from Subsidary Files To Mastersheet with Formulas
Hallo NG, the solution from Don/Merjet is also useful for me, but i need a little modification. (Thread: Copying rows from Subsidary Files To Mastersheet How is the code to change, that also formulas are copied into the Master-Table ? Thanks ! Volker Volker, The last question suggested that you needed to switch from sheets to workbooks, is this still the case? Post your current code and explain exactly what you want to change. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Volker Hormuth&...

Outlook 2003 icon changes randomly
Not a big deal but very weird: My outlook icon (both on the desktop, and the QuickNav bar) changes every other time I restart Windows: Sometimes its the new orange icon Sometimes its the Office 2000 icon. Very strange. I'm running Windows 2000. I can't figure out how this could happen. When its showing the old icon, it still loads the new version. Also, if I right-click, properties...change icon, only the old icon shows in the list of choices. Any clues? Eric ...

Can a hyperlink open 2 files
I need a hyperlink to open a file then open a 2nd file straight after with one click on the cell. 2 cells containing the seperate files to open are as follows. 1. =HYPERLINK(("D:\PRN Files\misc\"&I3&"\"&A3&".prn"),"click here") 2. =HYPERLINK(("D:\Images\misc\"&I3&"\"&A3&".jpg"),"click here") I3 is the folder name and A3 is the filename I need something like this (Just an eg so you know what I mean) =HYPERLINK(("D:\PRN Files\misc\"&I3&"\"&A3&&...

email in Outlook
I have a hotmail account for my email. I was able to succesfully add this account to Outlook so that I can now access hotmail through Outlook. However, I also have an Ipaq Pocket PC, and I am trying to download my email from this hotmail account to my IPAQ when I sync. Unfortunately, the default Inbox account is the only one that seems to sync. I don't have any email going to that account, so my inbox on my IPAQ is always empty. Does anyone know how to switch this so that my outlook hotmail account will sync to my ipaq? Thanks! Clark <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.co...