recursively search public folders

Using Outlook 2003, I can search my private email folders recursively with
no problem.  Also I can specify multiple folders, selecting them
individually.  But if I try that with our Public Folders, it says that I
can't search recursively nor can I select multiple folders at a time.  Is
there a way to do this, and I'm just missing it?

Doesn't anybody here know, one way or another, whether this is possible?  I
can accept if the answer is no, but I'm surprised not one person has
answered either way.  Any help is appreciated.

"Mickey Ferguson" <MFerguson@peinc.com> wrote in message
> Using Outlook 2003, I can search my private email folders recursively with
> no problem.  Also I can specify multiple folders, selecting them
> individually.  But if I try that with our Public Folders, it says that I
> can't search recursively nor can I select multiple folders at a time.  Is
> there a way to do this, and I'm just missing it?

It's not possible.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

> Doesn't anybody here know, one way or another, whether this is possible?
> I can accept if the answer is no, but I'm surprised not one person has
> answered either way.  Any help is appreciated.
>
> "Mickey Ferguson" <MFerguson@peinc.com> wrote in message
>> Using Outlook 2003, I can search my private email folders recursively
>> with no problem.  Also I can specify multiple folders, selecting them
>> individually.  But if I try that with our Public Folders, it says that I
>> can't search recursively nor can I select multiple folders at a time.  Is
>> there a way to do this, and I'm just missing it?

0
kenslovak (742)
7/29/2005 1:05:45 PM
Sounds like a pretty ridiculous product limitation to me.  But thanks for
the feedback.

"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message
> It's not possible.

Well, it's not so ridiculous when you think about the possibility that =
public folders could be set up with no replication and on servers =
thousands of miles apart over variable bandwidth connections. That's why =
there are index server applications such as SharePoint Portal Server =
that can index Exchange folder contents to make a broadly scoped search =
practical.=20
--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20

> Sounds like a pretty ridiculous product limitation to me.  But thanks =
for=20
> the feedback.
>=20
> "Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <kenslovak@mvps.org> wrote in message=20
>> It's not possible.
>=20

0
suemvp (4038)

Sharepoint search service
when i try to enter the search settings in the sharedServisces i get a message:"The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress. " and in the central administration --> operations tab -->services on server: "Office SharePoint Server Search Required on Farm, not running " How can i fix that and start the search service?? how about going to run "services.msc" and find Search services...

Public folders prompts for password with ESM
When I try to administer public folders with ESM in Exchange 2003. I am prompted for a password. Not sure of the correct authentication setting in IIS also I get free/busy errors when user tries to schedule meetings. The 3rd issue I'm seeing on exchange server in the event viewer is an id # 7004 this article explains last error http://support.microsoft.com/kb843106 . Has anybody seen this issue before? One other issue I get if I enter wrong password it hangs and I kill it with task manager. On 18 Dec 2004 23:29:51 -0800, "Bill" <bruauge@hotmail.com> wrote: >When I try...

System folders in Shortcuts
Using Outlook 2003, a few months ago I managed to add folders and programs from my C: drive to the Shortcuts pane in Outlook, like my C:\Templates folder, and Notepad, and a few other things. Now, I cannot remember how I did it, and I'd like to add some more. Drag and drop doesn't work. How do you do it? Many thanks. Larry Wahlers Concordia Technologies The International Center The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod St. Louis, Missouri USA Ah, sheesh. My buddy showed me, and yes, it's drag and drop. You just have to drop it *right on* the word Shortcuts for it to work, not somewh...

Cannot close archive.pst folder in Outlook 2003
When attempting to close "Archive Folders" (archive.pst) after running "Archive", I get the error message "The operation failed. An object could not be found" every time. No other info comes up. Outlook 2003 SP2 (part of Office 2033 Pro), default security mode, up to date on updates. tgbonzo@bellsouth.net <tgbonzo@bellsouth.net> wrote: > When attempting to close "Archive Folders" (archive.pst) after running > "Archive", I get the error message "The operation failed. An object > could not be found" every time. No ...

Not able to archive calender folder
Hi All, I have tried to archive my Outlook 2003 calender without success. When I archive outlook calender, no item is archived. The archive process start for few seconds and then just stopped without any notification. When I check on the Archive folder, no item are archived. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260217/en-us?spid=2520&sid=69 I have also verified the modified date as specified in the KB article is older than the archive date specified. I have also disabled cache exchange and restart archiving but it does not help. Thanks! "ping" <wterng@gmail.com> wrot...

Recursion Question
I have the following simple recursion and as I unwind the call stack (stepping through it), I am trying figure out where the eventual return value is being stored. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Mike namespace Factorial { public partial class Form1 : Form { public Form1() { InitializeComponent(); } private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) { label1.Text = Factorial(5).ToString(); } public int Factorial(int n) { if(n==0) return 1; ...

Sent Folder
Can anyone tell me how to change the FROM in my sent folder to TO? All my emails in the Sent Folder read my name.. so I can't tell who there to unless I open them. How do I change this to see who I sent them to? Any help appreciated!! Right click a column header in your Sent items, select Field Chooser = from the options, and then add the TO: column to your view. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Lori ...

LDAP Search Base
We just migrated to AD so forgive my ignorance. All I want to do is create an LDAP query in Outlook. My GC is on a separate server than my Exchange 2003 server. Here's what I'm doing: 1. Open Outlook, Tools, Email Accounts 2. View or change existing address book 3. Add, LDAP 4. Server name=GC server name 5. More Settings 6. Port 389 7. Search Base= I have no idea I've tried "cn=users,dc=domain,dc=edu" with my domain name but get the error: "No such object. Possibly your specified search base is invalid" Please help me understand the search base. ...

unable to open default folder
The message i receive when I attempt to open my Microsoft Outlook office 2003 it states " unable to open your default folders" I also receive the message in a small window that says "internet interrupted please try again later" and so I am not able to proceed further. My internet is connected and my firewalls are down and i have set up my Outlook though I suspect that may be an issue as well. Please help. thank you. Nathaniel, Try an Outlook newsgroup, you will be better guidance. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news:/...

search and return cell count
I have a list of dates. (certain dates are excluded). I need a formula that would perform like a datedif and lookup formula. Using two cell references, I need to be able to count the number of cells (dates) between the reference points in a formula. Sort of like a lookup formula that finds both values and returns the number of cells in between. ULTIMATELY: search list for value in a1, search list for value in a2, how many cells are in between any suggestions? thanx =SUMPRODUCT(--(C1:C100>=A1),--(C1:C100<=A2)) -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewher...

Qn on Restricting a public function overriding in base classes ?
How do we achieve the following : Class Baseclass { public: int funXYZ(); ..... }; Now, How do I modify the definition of the above class to restrict any other Class which derives from Baseclass, from over riding public function funXYZ(); Note that, the function funXYZ() needs to be public. Is it possible ? "satlal" <satish.lalam@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet news:dg942b$67e$1@news.mch.sbs.de... > How do we achieve the following : > > Class Baseclass > { > public: > int funXYZ(); > ..... > }; > > Now, H...

Error: "Search key was not found in any record"
Dear all, Recently, my Access 2000 is upgraded to XP version. After convert all 2000 mdb file to 2002, I've got a big trouble. 1.Path of all link tables cannot be changed. 2.Saving a new form dialog box repeat and repeat again when save a new form. 3.New saved form cannot be open. 4.Form cannot be deleted. A same error message is found in above case: "Search key was not found in any record" Could any one help me? Thank you very much! Billy "Billy" <billysoo@hotmail.com> wrote: >Recently, my Access 2000 is upgraded to XP version. >After convert all 20...

Unable to open your default e-mail folders outlook 2003
I have searched a long time an answer to this and have found many others with similar problems. Brand new machine (happens on all new machines we've tested), Office 2003, trying to connect to an existing Exchange Server 2003, we get the following message: Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file. On another machine, with Outlook 2000, we it works fine. We created a new test user. Worked fine from machine with Outlook 2000, ...

inbox sub-folders appear in OWA but not in Outlook 2002
I have aproblem where I can see my inbox sub-folders in OWA but I cannot see them in Outlook 2002. We are running exchange 5.5 and OWA 5.5. Is there a compat issue? ...

VS barks at this recursive schema
Can some one help me out here, VS doesn't like this schema ("SubSystem is not defined"). Anyone know why? <xs:complexType name="SystemType"> <xs:sequence maxOccurs="unbounded"> <xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded"> <xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" name="SubSystem"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element ref="Operation" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/> <xs:element ref="SubSy...

Copy Just One Folder To Another Computer
I have numerous folders in my Outlook 2002 SP3. I would like to send just one of them to another computer via CD or memory stick. Is that possible? You can create an Outlook Data File and copy only that folder into it. Then close Outlook and copy that PST file onto your storage medium and open it in the other version. You'll need to remove the read only attribute it acquires from the storage medium. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message news:0lobo1h20i32vm29mh3t3ebj39pe49qhb4@4ax.com... >I have numerous folders in my Outlook 2002 SP...

search assistant once again
I'm still trying to handle IE search assistant. Thanks to Jeff Partch I have CHtmlView with IE style search page. But new problem comes out - I want to load search page results to separate CHtmlViews (in MDI child frames), so I need to distinguish search result urls from utility urls (like 'next>>' etc.). The only possible solution I've found is to parse all anchors and analyse/update their target property. Later, in OnBeforeNavigate2 this target property could be used to load page into new view or into the search view. But this solution fails due to one problem - seems l...

Public Folder Migration #3
Is there any way to migrate PF data from one Exchange Organization to another? We have just purchased a company and need to move their PF's to our Exchange Org. ExMerge works well for user mailboxes, but what do we do about PF data? Hi You will need to use the InterOrg Replication utility, here is some information: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238573 Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "bricep" <bricep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4407720-8199-4620-9171...

New Archive folder...?
Howdy, I would like to set up OL2000 so that I have multiple archive folders (by year), but I can't figure how to do it. I thought, incorrectly, that I could just add another archive folder, but that choice is not available. Is there a way to have multiple archives? Thanks for any help, -- Kenneth If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS." On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:04:09 -0400, Kenneth <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote: >Howdy, > >I would like to set up OL2000 so that I have multiple archive folders >(by year), but I can't figure how to do i...

Are there any new Publication Design borders out there?
I am new to using Publisher 2003 and when doing photo calendars, it seems I am using the same old borders, i.e. birthday, checkers, butterfly, waves, starfish, etc. Is there an upgrade I can do or somewhere I can go to get new borders? I appreciate your help! Linda On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 05:47:02 +0000, LindaKS wrote (in article <9D094D7A-C85C-4038-A13D-75531B17CB87@microsoft.com>): > I am new to using Publisher 2003 and when doing photo calendars, it seems I > am using the same old borders, i.e. birthday, checkers, butterfly, waves, > starfish, etc. Is there an upgrade I...

Cannot delete Public Folder
Howdi, I know the answer to this question, i think, but just wanted to triple check. Basically, I had an exchange server go down (wasn't stable but usuable, just) due to hardware failure and the back ups on that server were corrupt as well. So in the small amount of time available I had to .pst all mailboxes (that was long) and recreate a new exchange box. However, I totally forgot to manage the Public Folders on that box. Now, obvioulsy, when i try and access those Puclic foldsers (in ExchAdmin or Outlook) I get 'the information store is not availbale' error. Is there a...

I Lost my public folders #2
This morning I had a public folder store that was working well for all my users. The only problem was that just about everybody had full permissions to read and write to every folder. I decided it was time to tighten down the security permissions. I went into ESM -> Folders -> Public Folder Tree and prceeded to edit the permissions to what I thought they should look like. Unfortunatly, I can't remember what I did to the top folder group, but after I clicked apply, the Public Folder Tree dissappeared from ESM. I'm sure its not deleted because if I try and create a new tree wi...

pages not sync'd in a sharepoint folder
hi, we are using ON07 on a global basis now and as such we are trying to share onenote files on a sharepoint site. when other people contribute to the shared page, they can see their own edits, but no one else can? however, the pages are fully sync'd in addition, when we try live-sharing on the same sharepoint location, it works just fine. any ideas? thanks -- alec apologies, it has just updated the page now - but it took about 30mins! is there a way to reduce this update time? thanks -- alec "alec" wrote: > hi, > we are using O...

recursively search public folders
Using Outlook 2003, I can search my private email folders recursively with no problem. Also I can specify multiple folders, selecting them individually. But if I try that with our Public Folders, it says that I can't search recursively nor can I select multiple folders at a time. Is there a way to do this, and I'm just missing it? Doesn't anybody here know, one way or another, whether this is possible? I can accept if the answer is no, but I'm surprised not one person has answered either way. Any help is appreciated. "Mickey Ferguson" <MFerguson@pei...

A built in method to search all mailboxes in an organization?
I've spent hours and hours looking at finding a way to do the following: Be able to search *all* mailboxes in an organization for a search term in the body or subject, and get a list of those emails (readable) so that they can be collated and burnt to media for things like Freedom of Information Act requests and the like. I cannot for the life of me find something that does it in Exchange. The message tracking center can find subjects and tell me the order of events the mail took as its traversed the system, but nothing more. Is there some sort of extended functionality that can be...