Receipient as sender

Hi all,

I just received an e-mail today in which I myself was declared as the
sender.

My computer is guaranteed virus-free and absolutely healthy.

Does anyone know about something like this? Might this be a
vulnerability in outlook 2003? This question is the reason for my
message in this ng.

Ntw, the message was in html-format.

Best regards,

Sascha, MCSE

Whoever_ CH, you  wrote on Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:01:14 +0200:

> I just received an e-mail today in which I myself was declared as the
> sender.

Steht im "Von:Feld" bzw. im Header nur dein Name oder auch deine
E-Mail-Adresse?

Best Regards
Christian Goeller
--
Some misspellings, grammatical or linguistical mistakes found?
All corrections would be appreciated!
Christian Goeller schrieb:
> Whoever_ CH, you  wrote on Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:01:14 +0200:
>

>>I just received an e-mail today in which I myself was declared as the
>>sender.
>

> Steht im "Von:Feld" bzw. im Header nur dein Name oder auch deine
> E-Mail-Adresse?
>
> Best Regards
> Christian Goeller

Im "Von:" steht meine E-Mail Adresse, nicht mein Name. Da dieser Aufwand
ja eigentlich ziemlich einfach zu bew�ltigen ist ("AN:"="Von:") k�nnte
das Mail auch einfach Spam sein. Was ich fragen wollte war, ob jemand
hier�ber genaueres weiss, bzw. einen Link zum Outlook herstellen kann.
Whoever_ CH <whoever_ch@gmx.net> wrote:

> I just received an e-mail today in which I myself was declared as the
> sender.
>
> My computer is guaranteed virus-free and absolutely healthy.
>
> Does anyone know about something like this?

Many viruses and SPAMmers these days hijack the addresses of innocents and
use them as the sender address.  There's nothing on your PC.  Chances are,
though, that the PC of someone who has your name in their address book has
been compromised and is being used to send junk or malware, picking names
from that address book to be used as sender and recipient.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16053)

how to retrieve sender email address
anybody knows how to retrieve the sender email address from the outlook object model. when using outlook object model from inside vb, the model exposes the 'Sendername' property only, which is the name that the sender opts to be get displayed at the recipients end. Except for Outlook 2003 you don't have that in the Outlook object model. You can get it using CDO 1.21 code but in secure versions of Outlook the code will fire the security prompts. To avoid those you would need to use Redemption code (www.dimastr.com/redemption). For a CDO code sample of getting the sender&#...

Message tracker displays sender as "<>"
Does anyone know what this is? Or how I can obtain more information about this particular email? It does not seem to be delivered to the users inbox. I am using this method whilist trying to troubleshoot an email borne virus. Thanks, "desktop" <desktop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90F934BA-7826-43FC-9609-FDDC2657E82D@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know what this is? Or how I can obtain more information about > this particular email? It does not seem to be delivered to the users inbox. I > am using this method whilist trying to troubleshoot an e...

I want to stop sending outofofficereplies to senders of forwarded
I receive a copy of all of my bosses mail, it shows in his own folder in my Outlook. I also have full rights to his mailbox. When I establish an out-of-office reply for myself, everyone who sends him mail gets the reply. Can I set the assistant to only send out-of-office replies to those who have either sent mail directly to my address or cc'd me and NOT send it to those who write my boss? Outlook does that already since forwarded messages are coming from your boss and not the original sender. If this has been set up as a redirection, then it is not possible and you'll ...

Sender Denied
Hi, A user outside user@toto.com (using Lotus Domino client) who is getting bounced messages with the error below when he sends to our customer @titi.com. @titi.com is setuped in Exchange 2003 server (rpc over http), we use Antigen as anti-spam. 554 5.1.0 Sender Denied RENG02/Equant, US-Res-DMS1/Servers/GlobalOne Field Name: Received Data Type: Text Data Length: 206 bytes Seq Num: 3 Dup Item ID: 0 Field Flags: "from Pico1.coco.com ([10.x.x.x]) by reng02.nt.prod.ren.titi.net (Lotus Domino 5012HF429) with ESMTP id xxx:xxxx ; Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:49:3...

Wildcards in Junk Senders.txt?
Seen this posted several times, but can't find the answer. Is it possible to use wildcards in the Junk Senders.txt file? If so what wildcards can I use and what do they do? -- Regards. Chris. Remove MAPSON to reply to me directly. This post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily accurately represent the views of BT. ...

blocked sender list #5
Will wildcards work ? No. Wildcards are not supported. The blocked sender list is only useful for blocking mail from specific annoying senders - like a former friend or a newsletter you can't get unsubscribed from. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.s...

Newsgroup: Why Sender in Bold font and Subject not ?
Before reading the newsgroup messages. Should be better all in bold but I didnt find any setting for that. larios. That design goof was fixed in the newer beta, which you are welcome to upgrade to: http://www.windowslivepreview.com/essentials/ Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Larios" wrote in message news:i3gn9h$sak$1@news.albasani.net... Before reading the newsgroup messages. Should be better all in bold but I didnt find any setting for that. larios. Sound interesting, but no Italian version yet. Italians are always last :-) If I install a...

lift sender restrictions for internal domain
Hi Group! Is there a way to lift sender restrictions if the users sends a mail to an internal user. I have a restriction of 500 KB for sending mails - but the users should be able to send mail in their own organisation without beeing restricted. My second questions is whether there is a possibility to group such sender permissions. I only found two ways to restict - in the global settings and in the active directory user - what if I have to make 50 users to 500 kb and 50 users to 10 MB? best regards andy On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:13:41 +0200, "Andreas W�ckl" <woeckl@es...

No filters.txt, empty senders list, so why is Junk E-mail rule junking e-mails?
I am getting e-mails that are getting incorrectly detected as junk by the Junk E-mail filter. Although this filter (rule) is enabled, I have disabled all its means of detection and yet it still marks some e-mails as junk. I've pulled its teeth and it still can bite. According to what I've read, the Junk E-mail rule (and the Adult Content rule) uses the filters.txt file to get some rules and bad words to determine if an e-mail is to be junked. This file was found in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033\FILTERS.TXT". I renamed it (to filters.new). I also check...

Issue with receipient Policies
Hello, I have an issue with the recipeint poilcies.The recipeint policies are configured with different email address properties per child domain in the forest. The email address are getting applied to the mailboxes, but the DL's are not receiving the mail addresses from the recipeint policy, instead from the default recipeint policy. Any thoughts? Regards -- Vinod Kumar Distribution Groups from the child domains? Does your recipient policy filter pick up groups? (Look for objectClass=group in the ldap filter). -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location...

Blocked Senders List #2
I am running Outlook 2002 under Windows XP Professional. I want to know if there is a way to automatically place the senders of Junk Email into the blocked senders list. Thanks Bob and then i discover that first three number sets on my ip address under file-properties is same first three sets on spammers ip address.....other words back to domain names. ========there has to be solution to spam========= >-----Original Message----- >I am running Outlook 2002 under Windows XP Professional. >I want to know if there is a way to automatically place >the senders of Junk Email...

Taking off "Block Sender" in Outlook
I accidentally clicked on Block Sender under Message in Outlook. How do I take this off so that sender isn't blocked. When you block it emails from this Sender now automatically go to Deleted Items. Thanks. What version of Outlook? Check your message rules or check the Junk E-mail Filter settings -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Maria" <anonymous@di...

How to manage junk senders list
Does anybody know how to delete all the entry inside the junk senders list? I can delete the entry one by one but is there any fast method? Brian <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anybody know how to delete all the entry inside the > junk senders list? I can delete the entry one by one but > is there any fast method? Since you decided that your Outlook version wasn't important enough to share, this question cannot be answered definitively. -- Brian Tillman ...

Safe senders list
I am using Office XP Outlook 2002. I have been trying to create a "safe senders list" with no success. Can anyone help me? I am going crazy trying to filter out all this SPAM! I can't find any information on a "Safe senders list" in Outlook 2002 but here is the information I was able to find for the Junk E-mail filters in Outlook 2002. Here are some links to articles about working with the Junk E-mail filters, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;298734, and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;286049. I hope this informati...

how to point MAPI interface at Express, how to get email of sender
I receive many email requests to scan old computer museum manuals. I manually paste fields from the emails in to a table of scan requests. I haven't done this since 18th Jan 2006 and i'm attempting to automate the process to some extent to catch up. Here is the code I've done so far: Dim lngCount As Long Dim lngIndex As Long Dim dteReceived As Date Dim rs As Recordset DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.OpenQuery "qdelScanRequestEmails" DoCmd.SetWarnings True Set rs = CurrentDb().OpenRecordset("ScanRequestEmails") Set myOlApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Applicati...

Displaying full sender addresses
Is there any way to pursuade OL 2007 to display full SMTP email addresses, including the domain name portion, in the message list? Having to guess makes it harder to detect spam, and manually opening the message properties to view the header of every message is really cumbersome. It's almost like Microsoft isn't really sure this Internet thing is going to catch on... /kenw Ken Wallewein K&M Systems Integration Phone (403)274-7848 Fax (403)275-4535 kenw@kmsi.net www.kmsi.net Ken Wallewein <kenw@kmsi.net> wrote: > Is there any way to pursuade OL 2007 to display full S...

Outlook 2003 Adding several Emails to Block Sender list at One Tim #2
I just upgraded to Windows 2003 SP 2. In the older version of Outlook, I could highlight several emails and add them to the junk senders list by selecting: Action/Junk Email/Ad to junk senders list With 2003, the option to “Add Sender to blocked senders list” is grayed out and I am not able to select it. What can I do to be able to use this? It is available when I select an individual email. you can only add one at a time. BTW - blocking senders is a poor way to manage spam, especially since there is a limit of about 2000 addresses on the blocked and safe lists combined. -- Diane...

block mail with no sender or subject
Is it possible to block mail using a rule, if the mail has no sender and no subject > Is it possible to block mail using a rule, if the mail has > no sender and no subject I believe this is possible depending upon your level of Outlook. Create a rule without using any of the selections. This rule will act on all mail. Then add "Except where from contains @" and "Except where subject contains a or e or i (and so on). This depends on your being able to come up with a suitable list of letters. You should probably throw in the digits as well in case someone sends...

blocking senders
hi, i am using exchange 2003 and am wanting to block emails from some of the public email sources such as hotmail and yahoo. i know there is a place in the global settings -> message delivery where i can filter senders. what i would like to be able to do is block hotmail, for example, but be able to specify exceptions (specific addresses that i know are ok) that will still be allowed through. the setting in global settings does not seem to be this flexible. is there some other way of doing what i need to do? thanks mike You are in the right area. Checkout the Connection Filtering t...

Receipient Policy
Sir, i required document to configure recipient Policy, at present all users given storage limit of 50 MB but i want to increase storage limit to 100 mb for specific users regards Sathish Kumar Hi Sathish, You can't use Recipient Policies to increase storage limits, I would recommend using a tool such as ADModify to do this, rather than individually modifying every user via ADUC. See here for the ADModify tool: http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=f5cbbfa9-e46b-4a7a-8ed8-3e44523f32e2 Let us know if you require assistance using this tool Regards -- Ben Hof...

OL 2003 and Block Senders List
In OL XP, I could select several emails from my InBox and put them in my Junk Email senders list. OL 2003 doesn't seem to have that feature. While OL2003 seems to do a better job of handling Junk (on the high setting), I still get lots of junk that I need to block. Any solutions? ...

Sender filtering questioning
1.) Is there anyway to seperate the "Message with Blank Sender" and the senders manually defined into different folders, When the "Archives Filtered Messages" is enabled? Its kind of tough the search through 1000's of emails to find out if 1 person in the list has send email. 2.) Also in the bad mail directory why is 3 files created for 1 bad email, this is a space hog, Also is there anyway to stop the collection of bad emails? thanks, Chris DEL *.* Schedule a job to do it. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"...

Resolving Sender Display Name
I just upgraded my Exchange site to Exchange 2003 from Exchange 2000. I've been noticing that on incoming messages the Sender's e-mail address is no longer being resolved to it's display name. I just see the sender's SMTP address. I did some research and found a Microsoft article that mentions the suppression of sender display name resolution is a feature of Exchange 2003 (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msit/valuecard/msghygien...). However, it doesn't discuss how this functionality is enabled or disabled. Does anyone know where this functionality is con...

Anyoone seen NDR generated where the Sender name is the failed recipient?
I have a really odd problem where someone will send an email via Outlook to another local user and will get an NDR returned from the Exchange 2003 server. Message tracking shows the message was delivered but the NDR lists the senders (ie their own) name and there is no time stamp as shown below ------------------------------ The following recipient(s) could not be reached: <Sender Name> on The recipient has been deleted or has no e-mail address. ------------------------------ It's happening to a number of individuals on infrequent occassions and I cannot find reference to this ...

Query-Based Distros for Sender Restriction
Can I use a query based distribution list as a Sender Restriction? i.e., if I have a query based distribution list which is "All Email Users", can I add that to the list of allowed senders on a different distribution list to effectively block external senders from sending mail to that other distribution list? The reason I ask is that I'm tryig to write a vbscript to go through a number of distribution lists and change this but recieve an error if I attempt to set it to a query based distribution list. A regular distribution list works fine. The odd thing is that if I go into t...