Rebuild/rename exchange server

Hi, apologies for the crosspost but think it is valid...

I have exchange 2003 standard running on one server on my network. The box
it is running on is being rebuilt and renamed, and exchange reinstalled
(disaster recovery mode) and restored.

My question is that all my clients (OL2003) are set to point to the old
server name, and I need to point them all at the new server name. Can anyone
advise the best way of doing this?

Thanks,
steve

0
steve9420 (1)

I think they automatically look for the new server once the old one is
decommissioned, but I'm not running E2K3 here. They did do a migration at my
last job without touching any PC's to point Outlook to the new server(s). It
just happened automatically. Hopefully someone in the Exchange newsgroup can
give you a definitive answer.
--
K. Orland
Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your

"steve" wrote:

> Hi, apologies for the crosspost but think it is valid...
>
> I have exchange 2003 standard running on one server on my network. The box
> it is running on is being rebuilt and renamed, and exchange reinstalled
> (disaster recovery mode) and restored.
>
> My question is that all my clients (OL2003) are set to point to the old
> server name, and I need to point them all at the new server name. Can anyone
> advise the best way of doing this?
>
> Thanks,
> steve

0
KOrland1 (1012)

Renaming an Exchange server
Can I just go ahead and change the computer name of an Exchange 2003 server or do I need to reinstall the Exchange software? Regards, Sam. Good question, I've asked exactly the same for Exchange 5.5. Steve "Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:543401c4004c$725e3e70$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can I just go ahead and change the computer name of an > Exchange 2003 server or do I need to reinstall the > Exchange software? > Regards, > Sam. No, you can't rename the server. The databases have a reference to the server name and onc...

Mail Forwarding, Exchange 2003
I am currently on 5.5 but am going to move to Exchange 2003 shortly. Several users need their corporate business mail fwd to personal SMTP addresses. How do you do this in Exchange 2003? basically the same way you did it in 5.5...create a contact, and specify that contact as the "Forwarding address" in the Delivery Options section of the Exchange General tab of the properties of the user...it will just be in ADUC, now, rather than the Exchange Administrator program, where you configure this... "jessem" <jessem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:390...

How to rename a group into WSUS 3
Hello, Using WSUS 3.2 console, I would like to rename one of trhe group defined to managed the different servers. As far I understood this tool, it is not possible from the menus. Moreover, I am not interested in creating a new group,applying the settings for each patch and then updating the servers membership. I rather prefer having a way to do it "simply" :-) Any help is welcome. Best regards, ...

Security settings with Outlook 2002 and exchange 5.5
Outlook 2002 connected to exchange 5.5 server I have loaded the adminpack, setup the form in the correct exchange Public folders directory, and pulished the form to that location. I have modified the form to allow for everything, However when a third party program attempts to send email, there is still the popup question that appears to allow it. Also, the attachments are still blocked. I had this working fine with Outlook 2000, but cannot get it to work with Office 2002/Office XP on a Windows XP Pro station. Exchange 5.5 is on a NT4 server. Thanks for any pointers... Robin. Did you ma...

newbie Question: Data exchange between Dialog and my own data structure
HI, I'm designing a program which has many CDialog(as docking control bar) and user data structures. I want to do some data exchange on those. For example: //================================================================== class CConfigDlg : public CDialog { .... //many common control such as CEdit... } class CMyData{ .... //many data members... } //================================================================== When I initialize the dialog, or some data hase changed in working thread,I want to update UI in using UpdateData(false); When I made some modification on the UI control...

Authentication Error after CRM Rebuild
We had to rebuild our CRM 3.0 server, and after installing SQL 2005 & CRM and restoring the databases, we are now getting an authentication error in the browser. Note that the original AD security groups in AD were accidentally deleted. Also, we tried to re-associate the databases with CRM through Deployment Manager but the Server Manager part is not displayed. We made sure we were logged in with the CRM installation credentials Any thoughts about how we can get past this? Thanks Yes, 1) Uninstall CRM 2) Run the Redeployment Wizard (on the DVD, Redeployment folder) -- this will do ...

Exchange 5.5 SMTP routing unauthorized mail
My server address has been listed by ORDB as an open relay. I have tested from a laptop with dialup internet with telnet. mail from:<spamtest 250 Sender <spamtest@domain.com> O mail to:<anybody@yahoo.com 250 Recipient <anybody@yahoo.com> O According to Microsoft documentation this should be rejected not OK There is no spamtest account on server. I did not authenticate I have guest account disabled. This is only server in Domain On Routing Tab "Reroute incoming mail (required for pop3/imap4 support)" is set and my 2 domains are both listed as "should be accep...

Scheduling conference rooms
Hi, I am trying to configure conference rooms so that people can direct book them and then add in specific people to be able to modify the meetings if need be. I am not ready to implement the auto accept utility yet so can someone point me how to do this just using the accounts? - Create profile for the mailbox - start Outlook, Tools | Options | clear "Default reminder" checkbox - click "Calendar Options.." | Resource Scheduling | check "Automatically accept meeting requests and process cancellations" and "Automatically decline conflicting meeting reque...

Exchange 2003 NDR's not generated
Our Exchange 2003 server recieves all company mail through a third party virus & spam scanning mailservice (MessageLabs). Sending NDR's is allowed for the Default Internet Message Format. Using message tracker I found out that no NDR's are generated. Instead of the line "SMTP:Non-Delivery Report (NDR) Generated", the message tracker lists "SMTP:Message Routed and Queued for Remote Delivery" followed by "SMTP:Started Outbound Transfer of Message". If I understand this right, my mailserver doesn't recognize the recipient's address, but instead o...

Message tracking in Exchange 2003 #3
I am trying to enable the Mesage tracking in the company's Exchange 2003 server but I am having the following message: LDAP Provider ID. no 80070005 Access denied while enabling message tracking in Exchange 2003. Exchange has SP3 and latest updates. Gave write access to log file. Can you please help. Thanks Sevi Make sure you try to do this with an account that has appropriate rights. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" <stefan.sevasta@maltanet.net> wrote in message news:1158763578.918097.67560@h48g2000cwc.googlegro...

Database rebuild
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I am using Entourage X on a iMac (10.6). I have been unable to rebuild the database - it freezes on start to rebuild. I did copy the database to another Mac running Entourage X (10.4.11) and was able to rebuild it. <br><br>I duplicated the database on the iMac for backup, then copied the rebuilt database (and other other files) from the other Mac to the iMac. It would not boot and suggested a rebuild. I tried to rebuild, on the iMac and it froze. I forced quit and restarted Ento...

Windows 2003 Exchange server won't log off
I can't log off our Windows 2003 Exchange server. I can click on start, log off and click yes for "are you sure?" but nothing happens. It's also running Exchange 2003. This should be posted in the windows newsgroups - this has nothing to do with Exchange. Try one of the newsgroups in microsoft.public.windows.server, or microsoft.public.win2000. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne <jules.farrell@james-chapman.co.uk> wrote in message news:1124183408.839364.223120@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I can't log off our Windows 2003 Exchange server. I ca...

Rename exchange server #2
Is it possible to rename the exchange server? Thanks, "Joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:06fb01c3d661 $019b90d0$a301280a@phx.gbl: > Is it possible to rename the exchange server? > There are side effects. It is possible. Search the Microsoft knowledge base or the group archives linked below for "rename exchange server" it is not a pretty process. Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm Archives: http://groups.google.com ...

Renaming Executable
I have written and compiled a program in VC++ 6.0, and later realized I want to change the name of the executable. How do I do it? I tried going to Project->Settings->Link->General, and put the new name of the executable in the output field. But when I run, I get an error (part way through the program's run, possibly at a point where the program reads in data, but I'm not sure). Thanks To clarify, the error comes here: FILE *ptrhole; TCHAR szFileName[_MAX_PATH]; DWORD dwLen = GetModuleFileName(NULL, szFileName, _MAX_PATH); char hfile[100]; strncpy(hfile,szFileName,(...

Problem with Exchange Cache-Mode. Getting Error 0x80040107
Hi I rebuild my Windows SBS 2003 with Exchange 2003 completely. I had then to re-join the clients to the domain and everything seems to work again, apart from Exchange Cache-Mode. I've done a lot of research on the web but didn't get accross anything that would have helped. The problem: Outlook 2003 can see all messages on Exchange when DISABLED Exchange-Cache-Mode. With Exchange-Cache-Mode enabled the sync failes with 0x80040107 and a message like this: "Could not open element. Try again." (translated from the German message "Das Element konnte nicht geöff...

Recover When Only Full Exchange Administrator Account Is Deleted
Hello, Our Exchange Full Administrator appears to be deleted from AD. I found an article from Microsoft that describes this issue. RESOLUTION from Microsoft To resolve this behavior, run Setup.exe /forestprep from the Exchange 2000 CD. My question: Can we do anything wrong if we run forestprep for the 2nd time? The last thing we want is that all off the exchange attributes are reset. Thanks Guy More information about this issue. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296487 - The Microsoft Article Our domain has 20 Windows 2000 Domain Controllers and 6 Exchange 2000...

LDAP and Exchange 5.5
Hi all I need to get some information about mailboxes from Exchange Directory trough LDAP. I want get for example When-Created field but im recievieng some errors. In this case it is provider "unspecified error". I know, that some fields which is accesible trough LDAP have other names than Exchange attributes and maybe it is the cause. I tried to find list of availiablie attrributes with their names but with no effect. I found a pieces of information with few fields but i can't find good and complete description about LDAP & Exchange. Thanks in advance for helpful links, su...

rename suggestion nickname
I have had an issue come up where I have renamed a user in AD. Now in outlook when other users on the domain start typing the new users name into the to field the old user's suggested nickname starts to appear. Is there a way to change this to the new username? That's in the users outlook .NK2 cache file. Easiest is to train them to delete old entries by cursoring down to them (when preseted with the list) and hitting DEL. -- Allan Williams SBS user wrote: > I have had an issue come up where I have renamed a user in AD. Now in > outlook when oth...

Rebuilding OWA
Hello - I installed SP2 without installing SP1 for Exchange 2003 and ran into the infamous problem with OWA. I managed to get the pages to work by replacing the \Exchsrvr\exchweb\controls with \Exchsrvr\exchweb\6.5.7226.0\controls. However, last night the server was reboot and this morning I am having problems with OWA agian. This time - I'm getting a "invalid procedure call or argument" line 1038 char 1 in ctl_view.htc on every page. I've tried reinstalling SP2, replacing the controls directory with the 6.5.7226.0 version, and a little tinkering, but no soap. Anyone...

E-Mail Exchange Router
I've installed the CRM/Exchange E/Mail Router and I'm trying to capture outgoing e/mails from CRM users of my domain to external contacts (created in CRM) using Outlook Express. I haven't had any positive results so far. I wonder if I have to configure additionals features in exchange. Did you read the IG word for word? Theres a special exchange field you're suppose to modify. How are you testing it? Try sending a CRM email to some outside account (eg hotmail, yahoo), and see if there is a GUID on the subject line (it looks like this: CRM:{12321-xfg42-123ffs23}:MRC ) -G...

Exchange Sync Error?
Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Server 2003 SP1 Outlook 2003 SP2 Every so often a user will get the following Sync error. I've tried searching around for that error code and have not come up with much. Naturally, the link does not provide much help to me. Any ideas on what that error actually means and how to fix it? 12:39:53 Synchronizer Version 11.0.6352 12:39:53 Synchronizing Mailbox 'User, Joe' 12:39:53 Synchronizing Hierarchy 12:39:53 Terminated in error 12:39:53 [80040119-100A0103-0-610] 12:39:53 Microsoft Office Outlook Offline Folders 12:39:53 For more information ...

Can Exchange 03 Small Business Server receive email from 2 DNS?
1. With Exchange 03 is it possible to receive mail from two different DNS's. 2. If we have two DNS sites named mysiteA.org and mysiteB.com can a user receive email into the same box from either of those DNS's? Any information on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you, JW Yes, you will need to create an additional recipient policy. See, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;249299 -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "JW" <user@example.net> wrote in message news:%23RiphC7VEHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.g...

Outlok to Exchange
Hi, I've just installed my first Exchange 2003 server and would like to know how to get all the outlook contacts from the desktops imported into the Global Address Book. Cheers, CSVDE: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327620 LDIFDE: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237677 On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:02:41 -0700, "Andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I've just installed my first Exchange 2003 server and >would like to know how to get all the outlook contacts >from the desktops im...

Duplicate emails in Exchange 2003
Hi, One of my users (out of 30) is getting occassional duplicate messages from KNOWN recipients - they come in usually at the same time, or maybe 1 minute difference (but not always)...and the message has a legitimate subject and body. We use Exchange 2003 on Win2003 using Outlook 2002 client and we do NOT use PST for email storage. Any idea? Should I run an offline defrag will that help?? Any tools I can run to see if her mailbox is bad?? Thanks. Dale We have an open call with Microsoft. I will let you know how it goes....if they can figure it out! "Dale" wrote: &g...

Public Folders missing after going from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003!!! HELP!
Ok - this is what happened. I was following along in MS KB #316886, and I was on page 5 where it talks about the migration of Public Folders and Mailboxes. What I did was (I didn't read the directions carefully, I know) I went to move the Public Folders to the new 2003 Exchange server. I went to the 5.5 Admin program, and went to the Public Folder that I wanted to move, and I went to Properties, and the Replicas Tab. I misunderstood the directions. So basically, how it was set up was: BEFORE: Servers: Replicate Folders To: EXCH3 EXCHANG EXCH2K3 AFTER: Servers: ...