reading pane keeps turning on and preview pane keeps turning off

I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until
now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview
pane turned on.  however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when ever
I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane is
turned off.  So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it should
be.  if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to the
inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off.  This is the same
behavior for all folders.  any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks.

--
moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam

I assume with Preview Pane you actually mean AutoPreview? The Preview Pane
is what the Reading Pane used to be called in Outlook 2002/XP and previous
;-)

You might want to apply your changes to the default Messages template
instead. This ensures that all the folders are changed automatically.
You might want to start Outlook with the /cleanviews switch ones to get them
all in their default state again so making changes goes easier.

For more info see;
http://www.msoutlook.info/question/51

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"moondaddy" <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until
> now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the preview
> pane turned on.  however, now things changed all of a sudden. now when
> ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview pane
> is turned off.  So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what it
> should be.  if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back to
> the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off.  This is the
> same behavior for all folders.  any ideas how to resolve this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam

0
Roady
8/29/2009 8:09:25 PM
Thanks for the info.  I'm using outlook 2007 and in the tools menu it says
autopreview which shows me a little bit of text under the 1st line of each
email.  So what is this 'cleanviews going to do for me and can you explain
how to apply this switch?  the url you provided pulled up a page saying
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  Thanks again for any info
you can provide.

message news:OOEQlSOKKHA.1376@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I assume with Preview Pane you actually mean AutoPreview? The Preview Pane
>is what the Reading Pane used to be called in Outlook 2002/XP and previous
>;-)
>
> You might want to apply your changes to the default Messages template
> instead. This ensures that all the folders are changed automatically.
> You might want to start Outlook with the /cleanviews switch ones to get
> them all in their default state again so making changes goes easier.
>
> For more info see;
> http://www.msoutlook.info/question/51
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "moondaddy" <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok until
>> now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the
>> preview pane turned on.  however, now things changed all of a sudden. now
>> when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the preview
>> pane is turned off.  So I go to the view menu and reset the view to what
>> it should be.  if I click on any other folder such as sent items and back
>> to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off.  This is
>> the same behavior for all folders.  any ideas how to resolve this?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam

Running /cleanviews and then customizing the Messages view should fix it.
You can also just make a new custom view and apply it to the folder(s).
See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm for the steps needed to
customize the messages view so it sticks.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> Thanks for the info.  I'm using outlook 2007 and in the tools menu it says
> autopreview which shows me a little bit of text under the 1st line of each
> email.  So what is this 'cleanviews going to do for me and can you explain
> how to apply this switch?  the url you provided pulled up a page saying
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  Thanks again for any info
> you can provide.
>

> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in message news:OOEQlSOKKHA.1376@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>I assume with Preview Pane you actually mean AutoPreview? The Preview Pane
>>is what the Reading Pane used to be called in Outlook 2002/XP and previous
>>;-)
>>
>> You might want to apply your changes to the default Messages template
>> instead. This ensures that all the folders are changed automatically.
>> You might want to start Outlook with the /cleanviews switch ones to get
>> them all in their default state again so making changes goes easier.
>>
>> For more info see;
>> http://www.msoutlook.info/question/51
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>
>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>
>> -----
>>
>> "moondaddy" <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> I've been using outlook 2007 for about 6 months and all has been ok
>>> until now. My normal view is to have the reading pane turned off and the
>>> preview pane turned on.  however, now things changed all of a sudden.
>>> now when ever I go to the inbox the reading pane is turned on and the
>>> preview pane is turned off.  So I go to the view menu and reset the view
>>> to what it should be.  if I click on any other folder such as sent items
>>> and back to the inbox, its back to reading pane on and preview pane off.
>>> This is the same behavior for all folders.  any ideas how to resolve
>>> this?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam

0
outlookmvp (5838)
8/31/2009 3:55:43 AM
Thanks Diane,

The link looks like a good resource to bookmark.  I went through all of the
steps on that page and setup view for 'messages' the way I wanted it.  the
messages in the 'inbox' looked good.  however, when I close outlook and
reopen it, the inbox it back to it's default view.  I can't make a view
stick.  this is weird because everything has been OK since I started using
outlook 2007 and then all of a sudden a few days ago - I could not keep a
view.  could this be a bug with outlook 2007 or even vista 64?  any advise
on how to continue trouble shooting this?

Thanks.

> Running /cleanviews and then customizing the Messages view should fix it.
> You can also just make a new custom view and apply it to the folder(s).
> See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm for the steps needed to
> customize the messages view so it sticks.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "moondaddy" <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info.  I'm using outlook 2007 and in the tools menu it
>> says autopreview which shows me a little bit of text under the 1st line
>> of each email.  So what is this 'cleanviews going to do for me and can
>> you explain how to apply this switch?  the url you provided pulled up a
>> page saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  Thanks again
>> for any info you can provide.
>>

>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
>> in message news:OOEQlSOKKHA.1376@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>I assume with Preview Pane you actually mean AutoPreview? The Preview
>>>Pane is what the Reading Pane used to be called in Outlook 2002/XP and
>>>previous ;-)
>>>
>>> You might want to apply your changes to the default Messages template
>>> instead. This ensures that all the folders are changed automatically.
>>> You might want to start Outlook with the /cleanviews switch ones to get
>>> them all in their default state again so making changes goes easier.
>>>
>>> For more info see;
>>> http://www.msoutlook.info/question/51
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>>> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
>>> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>>> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
>>>
>>> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>>> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> "moondaddy" <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

It could indicate a corruption in your pst-file. Have you scanned it for
errors already?
See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/77

The issue could be caused by Outlook not closing properly as well.
See http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm

--

> Thanks Diane,
>
> The link looks like a good resource to bookmark.  I went through all of
> the steps on that page and setup view for 'messages' the way I wanted it.
> the messages in the 'inbox' looked good.  however, when I close outlook
> and reopen it, the inbox it back to it's default view.  I can't make a
> view stick.  this is weird because everything has been OK since I started
> using outlook 2007 and then all of a sudden a few days ago - I could not
> keep a view.  could this be a bug with outlook 2007 or even vista 64?  any
> advise on how to continue trouble shooting this?
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Running /cleanviews and then customizing the Messages view should fix it.
>> You can also just make a new custom view and apply it to the folder(s).
>> See http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm for the steps needed
>> to customize the messages view so it sticks.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>
>> "moondaddy" <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the info.  I'm using outlook 2007 and in the tools menu it
>>> says autopreview which shows me a little bit of text under the 1st line
>>> of each email.  So what is this 'cleanviews going to do for me and can
>>> you explain how to apply this switch?  the url you provided pulled up a
>>> page saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  Thanks
>>> again for any info you can provide.
>>>

>>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
>>> in message news:OOEQlSOKKHA.1376@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

0
Roady

Reading .wks file

FOR THOSE KEEPING SCORE: BILL GATES is STAN STARINSKI and SO IS PRINCE CHARLES
Just FYl! FOR THOSE KEEPING SCORE: BlLL GATES is STAN STARINSKI and SO IS PRlNCE CHARLES Stan Starinski is also 1. FideI Castro 2. Ge0rge Bush 3. Queen EIizabeth 4. Kim Jong-ll He is lurking everywhere. DO NOT OPEN DOORS - HE MIGHT BE OUTSIDE, THERE'S WEATHER OUTSIDE - BEWARE! IT'S DARK! Kalvin J0hn Penzke wrote: > Just FYl! > > FOR THOSE KEEPING SCORE: BlLL GATES is STAN STARINSKI and SO IS PRlNCE > CHARLES > Stan Starinski is also > 1. FideI Castro > 2. Ge0rge Bush > 3. Queen EIizabeth > 4. Kim Jong-ll > > He is lurking everywher...

File won't open as read only

Want to turn off reminders in iCal and keep reminders in Entourage

Read mail arn't marked as read anymore

Getting rid of the formula but keep the Value
I have created a PRODUCT formula linked with certain cells and inputed the values elsewhere on the spreadsheet. However, whenever I cut and paste the values on another worsksheet or program, the formula shows up and not the value. Is there a way to keep the value when transferring it to another location? Copy>Paste Special>Values should work. >-----Original Message----- > >I have created a PRODUCT formula linked with certain cells >and inputed the values elsewhere on the spreadsheet. > >However, whenever I cut and paste the values on another >worskshee...

reading confirmation

keep formula after typing in a value in a excel cell
Hi there, my problem is, that i need something like: there is a function in a excel-cell (for example '=setvalue("sqlserver", "DB", "table")'). now i type in a value (for example 100) then the function "setvalue" must write this value (100) in the server, db and table from the parameters. after leaving the cell the formula is still the same and only the value 100 ist visible for the user. and if i go back to the cell than i can see the function in the menubar. there is a product from applix (TM1) and they did it. the problem is, that the souce...

The memory could not be "read".

how can i copy a document to a CD without making it read only?
HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? You can't. It is not the file, but the media, that is read only. Even CD-RW media does not allow editing a file on the CD. Copy te file from CD to HD, mak edits and if a CD-RW you should be able to burn the edited file back to the CD. hth "DON" wrote: > HOW CAN I COPY A DOCUMENT TO A CD WITHOUT MAKING IN READ ONLY? ...

Unable to Read Japanese Email
I correspond with several Japanese users and can read emails from some of them without a problem, but emails from others are nothing but a series of ?????. In one case, I can read one email but not another from the same sender. Changing the Encoding doesn't help. Sending emails in Japanese to them without a problem...they can read it fine. Would appreciate any suggestions/solutions as I'm stumped. I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Home operating system. Japanese language support is installed. ...

Delete date separators on viewing pane
I would like to remove the collapsable date separators (ie: "Today" "Yesterday", etc) from my viewing pane in Microsoft Outlook. It is sufficient for me to see the date received. How do I remove those separators from say, my Inbox. I am using XP operating system. -- Michelle "Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECD19A02-4EB8-479F-AF3F-73D1A9E97982@microsoft.com... >I would like to remove the collapsable date separators (ie: "Today" > "Yesterday", etc) from my viewing pane in Micro...

Transferring read e-mail to another folder
Hello I was wondering whether there was a way in which I could automatically transfer my e-mail that has been read into another folder, such as "Old e-mail" or something like that? Thanks ...

Outlook not marking read emails as read
Hi - We have 1 computer that is doing the oddest thing, anytime the customer reads the last email in his box, exit's out of email and then comes back in, that email is now marked as unread - it's the weirdest thing I have seen in a long time. I uninstalled office XP, rebooted, then reinstalled and applied the 2 service packs, hoping that would fix it, but it didn't. So now I'm stuck and was wondering if anybody out there has any thoughts on what to do.... thanks! Gerri Urban gurban@ci.broomfield.co.us ...

Turning #N/A to a zero...??
Hello there. my name is Tim and i am creating a spreadsheet which calculates the cost of various painting and decorating costs. However i have encountered a problem when targetting a lookup. I get '#N/A' in the cell. the equation is: =VLOOKUP($D26,emulsion_costs,2,FALSE) this targets a v-lookup. how can i create a v-lookup which will turn this '#N/A' to a zero when there is nothing selcted in D26? Any help much appreciated. :confused: Big Tim. -- bigtim ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bigtim's Profile: http://www.excelfor...

How do you turn Hyperlink on if it's greyed out?
I have a workbook in which I have created many hyperlinks. All of the sudden the hyperlink key is greyed out and I cant hyperlink anymore. How can I turn it back on. Thank You Is the sheet protected? Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Dan" wrote: > I have a workbook in which I have created many hyperlinks. All of the sudden > the hyperlink key is greyed out and I cant hyperlink anymore. How can I turn > it back on. > > Thank You ...

Suggested reading
Any suggested reading for Access 2003 VBA? I have both "Step by Step Access 2003" And "Microsoft Access 2003 VBA for Dummies" (how Ironic) and niether have been very helpful. Try this book. It's a winner: Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference by Patricia Cardoza, Teresa Hennig, Graham Seach, and Armen Stein http://www.amazon.com/Access-2007-Programmers-Reference-Programmer/dp/0470047038/ref=sr_1_1/104-1181757-2327103?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185824619&sr=8-1 -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.access...

Message(s) Not Being Marked As Read
I have "Mark message read after displayed for" '0' seconds checked. But in my Junk e-mail folder the messages don't get marked as read when I select them, only when I open them. I'm assuming this is because there isn't a the reading pane for the Junk e-mail folder even though I have "Show reading pane" checked in "Layout" a reading pane doesn't display in the Junk email right pane. Is this normal? I'd rather just click on the message instead of opening the message to mark it as read. James > I'd rather just c...

Controling READ ONLY and READ/WRITE mode when opening a project PS
Hello All, I was looking for a way to force users to select between READ ONLY and READ/WRITE instead of it defaulting to READ/WRITE when opening projects in MS Project 2007. Any suggestions would be a huge help. Thanks, Eric Eric -- Short of using custom software development, there is no way to force this issue with your PMs. If you want to try the custom software development route, then please repost your message in the microsoft.public.project.developer newsgroup. Otherwise, make this a training and performance issue with your PMs. Hope this helps. -- Dale A. Ho...

read an ascii file with fopen
I try to open with fopen and read an ascii file, line by line, but get garbage - among the right data in the CString variable that is filled with this line data. Can someone copy&paste the right code how to so that? Thanks in advance. Mark "Mark" <mark@chasan.ar> wrote in message news:%23sPmEzsgGHA.2208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I try to open with fopen and read an ascii file, line by line, but get > garbage - among the right data in the CString variable that is filled with > this line data. > > Can someone copy&paste the right code how to so that?...

Deleted Accounts keep reappearing
I tried to set up an account I already have in Money for online services only to learn that the bank does not offer direct connect capabilities to Money. Money still created a new duplicate account (with a $0 balance). Since I was unsuccessful in setting up this online service, I deleted the $0 balance account from my account list. I then tried to download updated account balance information from my other accounts. I was unable to do to this -- Money cited that it had encountered an error while downloading. The downloading attempt was taking a very long time AND..when I looked at my ac...

Read/Not read
Hello We have an exhange-server environment. The Boss' secretary need's to be able to read the Boss' mail, without the messages being marked as read, within outlook 2003. She can access the Boss mail, but all mail she reads is being marked as read, hence the boss can not figure out what he has seen/not seen. What is the solution? Thanx a lot /Jan Hi Towli. There is no way to marked as unread automatically, Just she should be tick the unread option on the pop up menu after she open the her boss e-mail. Once you right click button one of e-mail on the e-mail list, you w...

Programatically reading a XSD File
Hello, Let us say I have a schema file like this sample below. How would I using ..NET classes be able to read this XSD file and get all the values for each element, such as "name", "type", "minoccurs" etc.,? I would appreciate if somebody can help me with some sample code. Thanks for your help. Ganesh ********************* <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <xs:schema id="Account_Did" xmlns="" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata&...