Reading Pane 2003

I was advised not to use the Preview Pane in earlier
versions of Outlook because it could show a message which
had a link to a website on which there was a virus and
the virus would then be on my system even though I use a
virus protector (Norton).

I now have Outlook 2003 and read that sometimes the
Reading Pane will not display a message and indicate
instead that it contains "active content".  Does this
mean that in the example given above the message would
not be displayed?  Can I now safely use the Reading Pane
without fear that a virus will get through it when it
would not have got through if I hadn't had the pane
open?  Is it just as safe with the pane open as with it
closed?

Hope someone can reassure me on this.  I would like to
use the Reading Pane because I can see it would be
quicker.

Mary Ann

0
anonymous (74721)

You can use the reading pane...
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2004/up040204.htm#preview

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Vote for your favorite Outlook and Exchange utilities in the
Slipstick Ratings Raffle at http://www.slipstick.com/contest/

"Mary Ann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was advised not to use the Preview Pane in earlier
> versions of Outlook because it could show a message which
> had a link to a website on which there was a virus and
> the virus would then be on my system even though I use a
> virus protector (Norton).
>
> I now have Outlook 2003 and read that sometimes the
> Reading Pane will not display a message and indicate
> instead that it contains "active content".  Does this
> mean that in the example given above the message would
> not be displayed?  Can I now safely use the Reading Pane
> without fear that a virus will get through it when it
> would not have got through if I hadn't had the pane
> open?  Is it just as safe with the pane open as with it
> closed?
>
> Hope someone can reassure me on this.  I would like to
> use the Reading Pane because I can see it would be
> quicker.
>
> Mary Ann

0
dianenws (1904)
7/10/2004 3:58:19 PM
Thak you Diane.  I've looked at the website, I know not
to open attachments I am suspicious about - should I be
Disabling HTML Rendering if I see a message I am
suspicious about?

Guide)
>Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual
QuickStart Guide)

>Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:
http://www.slipstick.com
tips.net/

>Vote for your favorite Outlook and Exchange utilities in
the
>Slipstick Ratings Raffle at
http://www.slipstick.com/contest/

>"Mary Ann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message
>>I was advised not to use the Preview Pane in earlier
>> versions of Outlook because it could show a message
which
>> had a link to a website on which there was a virus and
>> the virus would then be on my system even though I use
>> virus protector (Norton).
>>
>> I now have Outlook 2003 and read that sometimes the
>> Reading Pane will not display a message and indicate
>> instead that it contains "active content".  Does this
>> mean that in the example given above the message would
>> not be displayed?  Can I now safely use the Reading
Pane
>> without fear that a virus will get through it when it
>> would not have got through if I hadn't had the pane
>> open?  Is it just as safe with the pane open as with it
>> closed?
>>
>> Hope someone can reassure me on this.  I would like to
>> use the Reading Pane because I can see it would be
>> quicker.
>>
>> Mary Ann
>>

>.

0
anonymous (74721)

Opening and Reading the locked files #4
Hi I need to backup some of the exclusive locked files. I have tried many ways to call CreateFile but it fails either by giving sharing violation or Access Denied. I have backup and restore privilege. What flags shall I CreateFile to open the locked File for backup In the below code I can atleast open the file but any changes to it are denied. HANDLE hfile = CreateFile(strFilename, READ_CONTROL, 0, 0,OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS, 0 ); Now this open's the file but ReadFile and BackupRead Fails. ReadFIles fails with exception CreateFile Failed : Access Denied. But I have a v...

VB Code for button for Access 2003
I have a form called "Quote Entry" displaying data from a table called "Quote" with a field "CustomerID", on this form there is a button called "Customers". This opens a form called "Customer Display" which is a Continuous list of customers, from the current selected customer record. I need some code for a button on the "Customer Display" form to save the current CustomerID back the Quote Entry form and add it to the Quote Table -- thank you for your help "Meaty" <Meaty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Outlook 2003 Group View
Outlook 2003 currently groups by the day. Is there any way to set up group by the week instead of the day. Any advice would be appreciated. "Jerry" <Jerry@nospam.com> wrote in message news:Xns9B8E80E2D9C6Ajonseynospamherecom@216.196.97.131... > Outlook 2003 currently groups by the day. Is there any way to set up > group > by the week instead of the day. I don't think that's possible. The "Group By Date" filter will show you "Last Week", "Two Weeks Ago", "Three Weeks Ago", and "Last Month" as well as ...

Word 2003
I created a line by typing the underscore several times. How do I get rid of it? If I delete it, it comes back when I press the return key. See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm . -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. On Thu, 20 May 2010 15:51:01 -0700, slesliec <slesliec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I created a line by typing the underscore several times. How do I get rid of >it? If I delete it...

MS Word 2003
I have been using MS Word for my work for many years. All of a sudden my space bar started deleting the next letter instead of making a space when adding a word into a sentence. How do I stop it or change it? -- Smitty Hit the Insert key on your keyboard one time. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "OSmitty01" <OSmitty01@ Yahoo .com> wrote in message news:84989B9C-6FE3-4718-9A07-558381E9DF99@microsoft.com... >I have been using MS Word for my work for many years. All of a sudden ...

Can't balance...Won't let me continue. 2003 Deluxe
I can't start the balance process. I put in the ending balance, date, interest earned for a savings account. When I hit next, It won't go anywhere.... I had the same problem with my checking account, and I downloaded another statement..But this account only has two transactions. Thanks, Rainman I ran the salvage utility on my data file. It now works! I have never had Money/Windows crash and shutdown properly. Go figure. "Randy" <noreply@nomail.com> wrote in message news:OJmgOFAqDHA.1672@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I can't start the balance process. I put i...

Access Coding from 2003 to 2007
Is there an easy way to find conversion code from Access 2003 to Access 2007 we are currently in the conversion process but not all of our coding is working how we need it to. They all worked in 2003 properly. What's not working? It should be relatively straightforward if you have used only the core libraries (VBA, Access, and DAO), your database is in a trusted location, and you are not too tied to menus/toolbars Generic conversion info: http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - ht...

Template Wizard with Data Tracking 2003
I just upgraded to Excel 2003 from 2000. The Template Wizard with Data Tracking is not included on the disk and I can find no where to download it. I have a major program that uses this function. I can download the 2002 version, which I was told would work, but I cannot load it into Excel. Does anyone where I can get this wizard or where the 2002 version goes when I click on the TMPLWZ.exe file ?????????? HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Mail containing virus in outlook 2003
I am constanly getting mail from 2 places that contain a virus in my outlook 2003. i have norton so when it gets scanned it says infected then it deletes it so i get no virus. is there any way to stop gettting mail from these places. i have clicked on the email and selected add sender to block senders list but it isn't working. i am still getting mail. can anyone help me???? ...

How do I change the default working folder in Outlook 2003?
I want to change the default folder that Outlook 2003 goes to when I want to add an attachment?! How do you do it? Ken Kaye, you wrote on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:54:29 -0700: > I want to change the default folder that Outlook 2003 goes to when I want to > add an attachment?! How do you do it? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823131/en-us -- Best Regards Christian Goeller http://www.outlookfaq.net Christian Goeller <spam@cs-g.net> wrote: > Ken Kaye, you wrote on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:54:29 -0700: > >> I want to change the default folder that Outlook 2003 goes to whe...

Setting reading order for accessibility
I have created a Publisher template for a group of users to create their monthly newsletters (text boxes, calendar, images). I then convert their finished .pub files to pdf and need to make them accessible for posting on our website. Since there are multiple newsletters using the same template each month I want to set as much as possible in the .pub template so I don't have to do each one individually in Adobe and can easily make them an accessible pdf. The problem is that I can't find a way to set the Reading order in Publisher Any suggestions or ideas on if this is poss...

Cannot get Outlook 2003 to receive my SBC Global Pop3 E-mail
I recently updated to Office 2003 Student edition from Office 2000 Professional. I cannot get Outlook to recieve mail from my SBCGlobal Pop3 account. I removed Outlook Express and setup SBC to leave a copy on the server, but it still doesn't work. I am unimpressed. On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:14:01 -1000, Jim Houston"" <Jim <Houston@discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote: > I recently updated to Office 2003 Student edition from Office 2000 > Professional. I cannot get Outlook to recieve mail from my SBCGlobal > Pop3 > account. I removed Outlook Express...

Outlook 2003 & 2007 and Windows 7
Using exchange & OL 2003. Installed Win7 on a new machine. Previously was XP. Installed OL2003 and I use a VPN to connect with server. Set up account as before, tried to connect & got "MS Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online...". Same computer, same Win7, same OL account info but if I try to connect using Virtual PC in XP mode, it works for both OL 2003 & 2007. I have searched MS support and can find nothing to fix problem of OL in Win 7. Any suggestions? I do not want to have to use VirtualPC. Thanks, Brad Johnson This should work in Windows 7 ...

office 2007 and old office 2003 excel files
I have a desktop pc with Office 2003 and Vista Home premium system. I am getting a new laptop and am purchasing office 2007 home student to install on it. With the laptop I can access shared files from the desktop. However, all my old files were generated by office 2003. Will the office 2007 be able to access and process these old files? Also, can I uninstall office 2003 from my desktop and install the office 2007 on it and use the old files created by office 2003? Thanks. Carl Yes, Excel 2007 can read 2003 files... You can either convert them to the new version by savi...

Access 2003 to Word 2003 Mailmerge very slow
I'm in the process of upgrading an Access 97 application to Access 2003. This has mostly been pretty smooth, but I'm having major problems with a process that generates mailmerge documents (also moving from Word 97 to Word 2003). Taking a specific example, my initial connection string (Access 97 to Word 97) was: objDoc.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:=CurrentDb.Name, OpenExclusive:=False, LinkToSource:=True, _ AddToRecentFiles:=False, Connection:="TABLE " & strTableName This wasn't working at all in Access 2003 - every time it tried, it popped up a d...

Sharepoint Service and Exchange 2003
Should these two services be on the same box? Yes Shadow ...

Photo Editing in Publisher 2003?
I just upgraded from Publisher deluxe 2002 with photo editing to Publisher 2003. I had the new version delete the old one. Does publisher 2003 have photo editing? I looked on the comparsion table but it did not have anything on photo editing. If it does not have it should I reload Publisher deluxe 2002? Hi cindyhi (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || I just upgraded from Publisher deluxe 2002 with photo editing to || Publisher 2003. I had the new version delete the old one. Does || publisher 2003 have photo editing? I looked on the comparsion tab...

Outlook 2003 Calendar sharing
We have a user that has multiple calendars. When trying to share out her calendars she has set the permissions correctly, however, when an authorized user goes to open one of the calendars, only the default "main" calendar is available. Should there be a list to select from? Am I missing something? TIA! ...

Exporting emails from Outlook 2003
I would like to export all of my stored emails from Outlook so that I can input them into a database program. I use Outlook 2003 on the PC at work, and I would like to export several years worth of emails that I store in Personal folders into a format that I can transfer to a Mac, and import them into a program called Devonthink. Is there a way to get all of my emails out, and stored in a subdirectory so that I can just copy them onto a flashdrive and then move them to my Mac? jim.offord@gmail.com <jim.offord@gmail.com> wrote: > I would like to export all of my stored emails from Ou...

OE to Outlook 2003
Hi everyone! I don't need newsgroups anymore...so....I am changing from using OE to Outlook. After importing all of my personal folders, etc. from OE I want to get rid of OE Identities that are taking up over 5GB of space on my drive. How do I do this? Can I just delete them or is there a process that I need to follow so I don't destroy XP or other apps? -- drumfreak One you've got everything in Outlook that you wanted, then you can remove your account configuration from OE via Tools-> Accounts... Any remaining data files from OE (like dbx-files) can then be dele...

Business Contact Manager for MS Outlook 2003
I just installed MS Office @003 Standart Upgrade and want to use the Business Contact Manager functionality. However, I cannot find it. The "Help" feature tells me I should have Business Contact Manager as an add-in but I cannot find it nor do I want to download the version with Micrrosoft Exchange Server (I think). Can anyone tell me how to get Business Contact Manager for MS Outlook 2003? Thanks, Jim BCM is available as part of Office 2003 Professional Edition, Small Business Edition, or Prefessional Enterprise Edition (requires Volume License from Microsoft). As far as I k...

Outlook 2007 to 2003
Can I import a backup file from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2003? Thanks, Yes. Those two versions use Unicode format psts. Older versions do not - so it wouldn't work with older versions. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM You can access this newsgroup by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...

Calendar bolded dates in left hand pane
Some of the dates are bolded in the left hand pane and those dates all have events, but not all date that have events are bolded. I can't see a pattern of what kind of events get bolded and what kind do not. Is this something that can be set? Ken Hi Ken, The Outlook calendar should only bold dates on which you have appointments scheduled. To check this setting. follow the steps below. Open Outlook Click on your calendar On the menu bar, click on View > Arrange By > Current View > Customize Current View Click the "Other Settings" button Make sure the "Bold...

short-cut menu for items in Folder pane of
How do I change the presentation order of items in the Start menu? Somehow, Explorer is at the bottom of the list on one of my computers, and I want it in the same place on all my computers. Rightclick the Start button and select Explore and rearrange to suit your method of working. You may also have to do Explore All Users as well. ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer http://dts-l.com/index.htm On Wed, 26 May 2010 21:49:02 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, "Margaret Bartley" <may04_NOTTHIS@mindspring.com> wrote: ...

Outlook 2003 calendar permissions
I have a user that was put on the meetings notification of two others. Since then she has been taken off the notification list of both of them. This was a couple of weeks ago. To date she is still recieving notifications. She still has permission to email for both of these others. What I need is to find a way to ensure she gets no more meeting notifications. Using a rule is out of the question as she still needs to get email from the other two parties. Reply here please. Chuck Clayton A+, MCP, N+ Chuck C. wrote: > I have a user that was put on the meetings notification of two others. >...