question on rules on unattended mailbox

I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.

sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
message.

I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain user,
but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended mailbox to
process its rules?

> I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.
>
> sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
> message.
>
> I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain
> user, but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended
> mailbox to process its rules?

Maybe.

If the rules are server based, then no.

If the rules are client based, then yes.

When you create a rule, if it says 'This rule is a client-only rule, and
will process only when Outlook is running.' then it is a client-only rule.
 Also, client-only rules say '(client-only)' in the list of rules.

--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP

0
f.h.muffman (751)
3/16/2009 4:10:26 PM
if you are getting an NDR, its probably not the rule.  What does the NDR say
is wrong?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Gary" <garym_dontspame@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.
>
> sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
> message.
>
> I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain
> user, but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended
> mailbox to process its rules?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
3/16/2009 6:51:07 PM

"F.H. Muffman" <f.h.muffman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.
>>
>> sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
>> message.
>>
>> I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain
>> user, but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended
>> mailbox to process its rules?
>
> Maybe.
>
> If the rules are server based, then no.
>
> If the rules are client based, then yes.
>
> When you create a rule, if it says 'This rule is a client-only rule, and
> will process only when Outlook is running.' then it is a client-only rule.
> Also, client-only rules say '(client-only)' in the list of rules.
>
> --
> f.h.
> Microsoft Outlook MVP

I don't see anything about client-only.
I have Outlook 2007 (connected to exchange 2003) and I right-click on the
message and select "Create Rule".
so I guess that is a client-only rule, but I do not see how to tell for
certain.

if that is client only, ow do I create a server based rule in outlook 2007?

gary

actually, I want the rule to forward the NDR to another mailbox.

this particular mailbox is used to send out emails to some customers.

sometimes it receives NDRs because the email is wrong or mailbox is full,
etc.

my bosses want someone outside the IT department to see these NDRs, but do
not want those persons to have access to the mailbox (don't ask).

so I thought a rule to forward all the NDRs to another mailbox would be the
solution, but havent gotten it to work yet.

I am hoping I can create a rule in this unattended mailbox, and have it
work.

because currently the only way anyone sees the emails that come to this
mailbox is when they have it as a secondary mailbox and see it under their
mailbox in outlook.

gary

> if you are getting an NDR, its probably not the rule.  What does the NDR
> say is wrong?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
>
> Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "Gary" <garym_dontspame@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.
>>
>> sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
>> message.
>>
>> I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain
>> user, but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended
>> mailbox to process its rules?

Backup question

a question and a question

IF AND question

IE8 privacy question

Question about Paste Special

Microsoft Query question

Question

OWA Question #16

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Text Box Question

401K questions

If / Then Question

Recreate Active Directory Account Failed Reconnect to Old Mailbox
Windows 2000 Active Directory / Exchange 2000 Environment. A user account was having permissions issues. The account was deleted from active directory. A new account, identical in all specs was made. The new account may have been set to create a new mail box. As a result, the new user has no emails and the old mailbox is still there sitting unattached. Since the user already has an account / email, we can't reconnect the mailbox to the user account. I suspect that the course of action next is to. 1) Delete the new account which will disconnect the new empty mailbox. 2) Purge the em...

ROWCOUNT question

Exmerge Question #7

OL2003: Rules do not run
I have a problem with my Outlook 2003, the rules that I have setup to move mail to folders do not work when e- mail is recived. When I run them manually they work, and they also seem to work when I send an e-mail out, but the do no work at all when e-mail is recived. Any Ideas? I am using this with exchange 2000 and I have my mail in personal folders and not the server, but I have my account setup to deliver mail to my public folders. Thanks David ...

question about "delete"
I have a pointer: MyWindowClass *p = NULL; p = new MyClass(...); .... delete p; After delete p, does p equal NULL(it is in C++ standard?)? How to decide if p has been deleted? The reason I asked this question is that in my project, there are many code/files use the pointer which I need to determine is it is deleted? Can I use: if(p != NULL) delete p; I guess somewhere p has been deleted, but p still not NULL(possible?), the above code might cause problem. Hi Kathy, I typically just set p to NULL when I delete it: delete p; p = NULL; Then you can check it in other places and ...

Exchange 2007 search not working for some mailboxes
I asked about this issue a few weeks ago, but nobody seemed to know anything about it so I thought I'd try again. I've set up and Exchange 2007 server and I'm testing migrating some mailboxes onto it from an Exchange 2003 server. Exchange Search works for some moved mailboxes and not for others even though they are all in the same mailbox database. For the users where it doesn't work OWA gives the error "Search results may take a long time to appear because Microsoft Exchange Search is unavailable. Results will not include matches in the e-mail body." I've...

Server Side Rules restore
I am Running Exchange 2003 SP2. Our hardware failed and we have just gotten our server back up and running. The only thing I am unable to find are peoples server side rules. I know they are created in Outlook, but I thought they would be also on the server as well. Or will the people have to recreate them? -- Thanks, Mike On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:16:02 -0700, Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am Running Exchange 2003 SP2. Our hardware failed and we have just gotten >our server back up and running. The only thing I am unable to find are >peoples serve...

More combining companies questions
We too have acquired another company and need to look at all of our options concerning what to do with email. We run Exchange 2003, they run Exchange 2000. What is the best way to combine the two so we can share GAL, free-busy info, etc.? No decisions have been made as far as what we are going to do with their AD. We could of course change their MX record to point to our server, update our RUS, etc., but what if we want to keep an Exchange server at their site? What has to be done to join their server to our Exchange org? If you want sync both GAL,pls check this http://www.microso...

switchboard question 12-26-07
Is there a way to put the names of different switchboard pages on the switchboard form? If you put one name on a switchboard page (in form design view), the same name appears on all the switchboard pages. I understand why this happens, but what if I want the user to be able to know which switchboard s/he is on? Thanks. PS the same thing happens if I go into form design view and put in control tip text. It puts the same text for the same-numbered menu item on two different switchboard pages. "Debbie S." wrote: > Is there a way to put the names of different switchboard ...

Printing out mailbox limits
How can I get a printout of all my Exchange 5.5 users with their ISSUE WARNING, PROHIBIT SEND, and PROHIBIT SEND & RECEIVE limits? I have an NT environment, not active directory. Thanks. download eval version of a reporting tool and use it to generate the report or export. http://wm.quest.com/products/MessageStats/ has a fully functional 30 day agentless installation that should do the trick for you -- David Sengupta M.T.S., B.Sc., MCSE, Exchange MVP, CCA Ottawa, Canada My E-mail Policy BLOG: http://p0stmaster.blogspot.com "Saucer Man" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

Some Questions about Outlook
1. what's the max size of attachment for sending email? 2. newMail notifitor: when there is a new mail, can the tary be changed to other until i check the mail? can it work with hotmail? 3. is there any function likes "To Do List"; calendar require time setting? 4. configure file backup; can i back up all of my setting? -- Me, Who I am On Sun, 7 May 2006 22:17:01 -0700, Dotku <lwjct@hotmail.com> wrote: >1. what's the max size of attachment for sending email? That would depend on your mail server/ISP. >2. newMail notifitor: when there is a new mail, can the ...

Toolbar question
I have created a combo box on my toolbar. I am using 32 x 32 buttons, so my combo box is sitting high up. I would like to move it down to the center of the toolbar. To create it I used the following code, CRect rect; SetButtonInfo(14, IDC_FILTERNAMECB, TBBS_SEPARATOR, 200); GetItemRect(14, &rect); rect.bottom = rect.top + 200; m_cbFilterNames.Create(WS_TABSTOP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_VSCROLL | CBS_DROPDOWNLIST | CBS_HASSTRINGS | CBS_SORT, rect, this, IDC_FILTERNAMECB); How do I tell it to place itself in the center of the toolbar? Here is my code: code is from inherited CToolba...