Profile Setup

When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an Outlook 2003
profile, how does it lookup the name?  It seems I can put any name in the
server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name.  I used a made up server
name and it still resolved the mailbox.

Thanks,

0
Andrew3569 (322)

Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment.
(Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.)

Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a new
profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until checking
in with Exchange.  Guess Outlook 2003 is smarter than I thought and is
leveraging AD to find the GCs.  Wonder if I can break it. :)

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an Outlook
> 2003
> profile, how does it lookup the name?  It seems I can put any name in the
> server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name.  I used a made up
> server
> name and it still resolved the mailbox.
>
> Thanks,

0
neo7948 (622)
12/30/2004 7:17:06 PM
Neo -

Thanks for the reply.  I have setup Outlook before on this particular
workstation.  So it probably has knowledge of our GC's.

I appreciate it!

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment.
> (Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.)
>
> Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a new
> profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until checking
> in with Exchange.  Guess Outlook 2003 is smarter than I thought and is
> leveraging AD to find the GCs.  Wonder if I can break it. :)
>
> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an Outlook
> > 2003
> > profile, how does it lookup the name?  It seems I can put any name in the
> > server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name.  I used a made up
> > server
> > name and it still resolved the mailbox.
> >
> > Thanks,

0
Andrew3569 (322)
12/30/2004 7:27:03 PM
ah man, you just broke my heart.  There are a few MVPs that believe Outlook
should be smart where it gets all profile information from AD.  This way a
user never sees a dialog if Outlook has to create one on the fly.

> Neo -
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I have setup Outlook before on this particular
> workstation.  So it probably has knowledge of our GC's.
>
> I appreciate it!
>
> "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment.
>> (Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.)
>>
>> Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a
>> new
>> profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until
>> checking
>> in with Exchange.  Guess Outlook 2003 is smarter than I thought and is
>> leveraging AD to find the GCs.  Wonder if I can break it. :)
>>
>> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an
>> > Outlook
>> > 2003
>> > profile, how does it lookup the name?  It seems I can put any name in
>> > the
>> > server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name.  I used a made up
>> > server
>> > name and it still resolved the mailbox.
>> >
>> > Thanks,

0
neo7948 (622)
12/30/2004 7:42:36 PM
It should get all profile data from AD.  My GC's are a little bit more static
than my exchange servers.

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> ah man, you just broke my heart.  There are a few MVPs that believe Outlook
> should be smart where it gets all profile information from AD.  This way a
> user never sees a dialog if Outlook has to create one on the fly.
>
> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Neo -
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.  I have setup Outlook before on this particular
> > workstation.  So it probably has knowledge of our GC's.
> >
> > I appreciate it!
> >
> > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment.
> >> (Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.)
> >>
> >> Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a
> >> new
> >> profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until
> >> checking
> >> in with Exchange.  Guess Outlook 2003 is smarter than I thought and is
> >> leveraging AD to find the GCs.  Wonder if I can break it. :)
> >>
> >> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Andrew3569 (322)

How do I setup a 500 name address list?
A local lawyer has recently given me the job of setting-up a 500 name address list which will be used to send out newsletters. I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas as to a very professional and crisp template that I could use to make this thing look spectacular. I will be using Microsoft Excel. No specail version, just excel. I'm sort of starting from the bottom here. Thank you. Why excel instead of Access? However, if you do it in excel set it up so it is easily transferable to a database like Access. Think of all the uses it might/could be used for. Plannin...

profiles.....
I have outlook 2003 on anWindows XP Pro system. In outlook, I have setup 3 profiles and told outlook to prompt for a profile when it starts. After a boot, the firt time Outlook starts, it does ask for me to choose a profile...... but on subsequant starts, it just starts up into the last profile. Until I boot again. Then it asks me for a profile. So once I have started a profile, the only way I can get into another profile is to restart the computer... Any idea what is causing this behavior? Thanks markus <mark@nospam.com> wrote: > I have outlook 2003 on anWindows XP Pro ...

remote outlook profile (not within the LAN but WAN)
Exchange migration from ex55 to ex2k3, a remote standalone win2k computer configured with multi outlook profiles for variouty users. Once their mailboxes move to ex2k3, will their profiles automactically piont to the new server like the local computer does, or it has to manual change on each profiles. Thanks, Fshguo If the move is within the same site, profile should get updated when Outlook connect to the Exchange server. "fshguo" <fshguo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1126272631.363731.170430@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Exchange migration from ex55 to ex2k...

2 User Profiles, 1 Outlook Profile?
I am running Windows Server 2003 and Office 2003. I have 2 accounts that require access to the same Outlook data - emails, email accounts, address book, rules, calender etc. Only 1 account will be used at a time though i need outlook to be exactly the same for both profiles. How is this done? ...

Outlook setup #11
I am trying to setup Outlook for e-mail accounts. And I cannot get it to work I have three e-mail accounts one with America Online another with Yahoo and another with MSN I can not get any one of them to connect can somebody help walk me through so setup Version of OL? "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A3CF62E-5944-45BE-8171-1EDF212FA49F@microsoft.com... >I am trying to setup Outlook for e-mail accounts. And I cannot get it to >work > I have three e-mail accounts one with America Online another with Yahoo > and > another wit...

Creating Mail Profile
Hi, Is it possible to create Mail/Outlook profile using scripts or from the command line? Thanks TagaR On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:43:03 -0800, "TagaR" <TagaR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is it possible to create Mail/Outlook profile using scripts or from the >command line? > >Thanks >TagaR There are a good number of utilities that will help you do this either scripted or gui'd. Do a Google for PROFGEN or alternatively see: http://www.scriptlogic.com/eng/products/scriptlogic/main.asp and http://www.autoprof.com/profile/index.html are two p...

Roaming Profiles #4
Is it possible to set up Outloook so that the settings follow a user to different machines? I have tried using roaming profiles but I can't get it to work. I'm using the client (2000) and connect to an Exchange 2000 server. All the machines are Windows 2K and have AD running. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Roaming Profiles is the answer to this indeed. Ask for additional support in a W2k newsgroup if you can't get it to work. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 C...

Copying or merging local and domain profiles
I need some help with user accounts and profiles. Here's the mess I'm in. I have a notebook PC that was until 2 days ago running Vista Business SP1. When I had a job I was a member of a domain called SSK, and I had a user account called RowanB (which is also the name of my PC). I used to log on using the built in finger print reader (managed by HP Credentials Manager), and since I lost my job 1 year ago I've continued to use this account, but without being able to connect to my old company's network or the domain controller. This is the account where I have many tho...

xp pro restart setup
When I boot the computer, I get the splash screen with the progress bar and then a screen that states "setup is being restarted...". After that I get a black screen that shows the pointer with the hour glass for a few seconds and the mouse pointer responds, but nothing else responds. I have let it set this way for several hours and still nothing else. Any suggestions? On Jun 12, 1:19=A0am, ranscozi <ransc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I boot the computer, I get the splash screen with the progress bar a= nd > then a screen that states "s...

[OL2003] adding exchange account to profile by PRF file
Hi, a PRF file (as shown below) generates an exchange account within a separately generated profile. I would like to change the PRF file such that the exchange account is added to the already existing profile called "Outlook" such that there is no need to switch profiles all the time. What adjustments are needed? I think section 4 is the most important part. Thanks for your help. Best wishes, J. NB: XXXXXX denotes the account on the exchange server. In the code below it is the name of the profile generated by PRF, as well. ________________ ;Automatically generated PRF file from...

Outlook Profile Missing
We have Outlook XP on Exchange server at work. Recently we have had three users outlook profiles disappear. All the data is still on the server, but it basicly looks like a fresh install of Outlook. No mail, contacts, etc. Any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks for the help. ...

Credit Card Setup
What is the difference between the 'bank card' and the 'charge card', setup. We have customers who may pay with bonus points and the finance people would like to point these payment methods to a specific bank account. The bonus points are currently defined as a charge card which points to a specific account. In the bank rec module, in bank deposits, the transactions are not seen. How can I fix this? On Jul 29, 11:55=A0am, rcr <r...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > What is the difference between the 'bank card' and the 'charge card'...

what is 11" X 17" paper size called in excel page setup?
in page setup what is 11" X 17" called I don't think excel has a special term for this. It's more of a printer property. (My printer at home doesn't support this size paper, for example.) Jeremy wrote: > > in page setup what is 11" X 17" called -- Dave Peterson On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 07:01:02 -0700, Jeremy <Jeremy@discussions.microsoft.com> brought to our attention: >in page setup what is 11" X 17" called If the size is available on your printer, it is sometimes referred as Ledger. And sometimes tabloid and B size, too: http:/...

What is a User Profile?
I am new to outlook, and am trying to setup 4 accounts on one computer. I am the administrator. No matter what I put in as my profile- I am unable to finish. Thanks in advance. at what point are you running into problems? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tip...

Outlook address book and Profile Manager 8
Hi all, my IT support people seem stuck so I wanted to see if anyone else might be able to help on this (really quite simple) issue. Basically, my Outlook client doesn't store my settings with respect to address book search order. It defaults to the company mailbook - but as we are part of a 120,000 people organisation, that is rather useless - especially as most of my emails go outside the Company. I am now aware of it so I can avoid to mis-send emails, but it's a hassle and I'd rather search my personal contacts before the Company list. I can change this manually and it works...

Outlook 2007 Prompt for profile
I have two profiles set up. I understand that if I close Outlook, then next time I open it should prompt for which profile I'd like to use. Instead, it automatically opens whichever I chose the first time. I have checked the Mail Setting, "Prompt for a profile to be used". Note that this works fine the first time I start Outlook after having restarted - I get the prompt. It's just every time I start Outlook thereafter it assumes I want the profile I started with and does not prompt. I've also waited several minutes between restarting and it still does not prompt me....

Cached Mode vs. Roaming Profiles
I am using roaming profiles on the network which I would like to keep. I have also changed the Sales staff over from PCs to laptops and I want to use Outlook 2003 in Cached Mode. My problem that when any of the Sales people log onto computers other than their laptops Outlook builds them an OST file on that computer. It would be very rare for someone with a laptop to have someone else log onto their laptop so I would like to force some setting or Group Policy that forces Outlook not to use Cached Mode on just that computer, but not affect the users setting on other computers. Is ther...

Help with profiles .pst files and roaming profiles
Hi all and thanks in advance for the future answers; Well, we have a enviromente that goes like this: 1 Domain Controller 1 Mail Server running KERIO MAIL SERVER 2 Terminal Servers running CITRIX PS 4.5 1 Server running the citrix console The problem: We have like 50 users now that connect to servers A or B and have their roaming profile working fine, all files and configs come and go, with the exception of the OUTLOOK profile. When i had to add SERVER B to the system, i had to copy users folders from server A and apply the same permissions one by one, otherwise outlook would not work and ...

Security Setup Copy
I want to copy all security setup copy for new store Databse Server. i have applied security restriction on items and setup security levels of Stores Employees according to there duties can perform in Store RMS. I want all security setup to copy in new databse. Is some one having a knowledge of Database tables containg my required data or any other way to help me out. Regards, Naveed Naveed, Try this; http://tinyurl.com/9e39m Must have access to CustomerSource -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outlook Express or some other type of newsgroup reader...

how do I setup an excel table that outlines the face of a standar.

Local profiles
I've got a couple of customers using XP Pro SP3 ( on server 2003) who seem to have the problem of when they log on in the mornings they get errors of local profile can't be found and they are given a temporary one. They do restart their PC's a few times and it does often come back. I have tried deleting their local profile and giving them a new one but the problem comes back. Any ideas? =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybCBEYXZleQ==?= <CarlDavey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:2C892AFD-86A9-4F2B-B09C-7EBD45BC3273@microsoft.com: > > I've got a couple of cus...

Profiling
With VC++ 6 enterprise edition I'm having difficulty getting profiling to work in my project. I have enabled profiling as in the help (MSDN) but Profile... remains gray. Any ideas? Steve -- EasyNN-plus. The easy way to build neural networks. Build networks from numeric, text and image files. http://www.easynn.com Hi Steve, You may not have the profiler installed. I seem to recall that in past VC++ releases, the default was to not install the profiler. I guess you could verify this just by looking for some of the profiling components like prep.exe. If they are present, then the pro...

Setup Outlook Anywhere in Entourage 2008 WSE
One of my user got Entourage 2008 WSE and would like to setup Outlook Anywhere on it. It works fine once he get a VPN connection but it doesn't work without VPN connection. Does anyone know how to setup Outlook Anywhere in Entourage 2008 WSE? Please advise me how I can setup Entourage 2008 WSE. Thanks in advance. On 1/24/10 1:35 PM, Cheongseo wrote: > One of my user got Entourage 2008 WSE and would like to setup Outlook > Anywhere on it. > It works fine once he get a VPN connection but it doesn't work without VPN > connection. > Does anyone know how ...

Two Mailbox Setup
Here's a tale of un-documentation (woe is me). If someone can give me the solution again, I'd much appreciate it. Here's the scenario I have previously achieved with a SBS2003/Exchange2003/Outlook2003 setup: 1. Two domains (domain1.com and domain2.com). 2. Create two users in AD. Names are SLIGHTLY different (add a middle initital for one user). For example: Adam H. Smith and Adam Smith. Email addresses are: adam@domain1.com and adam@domain2.com. 3. Set up Outlook for this user by pulling in both mailboxes. Train user to use FROM field and pick the email address he wan...

Automatically Changing Outlook Profiles
Greetings, Our company is looking to change our POP email services (WE DO NOT USE EXCHAGNE). This move will require us to change one (1) item in each employee's Outlook profile - the USER NAME optin will need to be changed from <username> to <username>@domain.com. We will need to do this across All operating system from Win98 and up, as well as on all types of Outlook platforms OL97 and up. Does anyone have any experience with this or know how I can accomplish this automatically. I am open to any type of scripting or third part applicaton that can accomplish this. Please le...