Problems importing pst file...

One of the users in our office tried to open Outlook & recieved an error
message that indicated that the pst was gone or corrupt. After running
the Inbox repair tool to no avail, as well as picking up a copy of their
pst from yesterday's backup, I'm still unable to do anything with it!
When trying to import it, I get the message "Properties for this
information service must be defined prior to use" & after hitting ok, I
get a message that the file isn't a personal folders file! I have read
several long-winded posts in other forums, which basically have given me
no answer. I am using Window98 & Outlook 2000 in POP3 mode, & using
Ipswitch's Imail server. The file was never copied to a CD & doesn't
have the read-only box checked, either.
Help!

0
mikey117 (63)

Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:

> One of the users in our office tried to open Outlook & recieved an
> error message that indicated that the pst was gone or corrupt. After
> running the Inbox repair tool to no avail, as well as picking up a
> copy of their pst from yesterday's backup, I'm still unable to do
> anything with it! When trying to import it, I get the message
> "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to
> use" & after hitting ok, I get a message that the file isn't a
> personal folders file!

Instead of importing, did you try to open it?  File>Open>Personal Folders
file.  If that doesn't work, try a new mail profile.  (This URL may help:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/msg/d237493cf318ac54?hl=en -
watch any line wrapping.)  If that doesn't work, your PST is damaged beyond
repair.
The information here may also help: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=195723
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
8/12/2005 2:38:12 PM
Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:

> One of the users in our office tried to open Outlook & recieved an
> error message that indicated that the pst was gone or corrupt.

I did forget to ask whether your Outlook in using Internet Mail Only mode or
Corporate or Workgroup mode and the articles I cited deal with the former.
Here's one to check if you're using the latter:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=195718
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
> Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One of the users in our office tried to open Outlook & recieved an
>> error message that indicated that the pst was gone or corrupt. After
>> running the Inbox repair tool to no avail, as well as picking up a
>> copy of their pst from yesterday's backup, I'm still unable to do
>> anything with it! When trying to import it, I get the message
>> "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to
>> use" & after hitting ok, I get a message that the file isn't a
>> personal folders file!
>
> Instead of importing, did you try to open it?  File>Open>Personal Folders
> file.  If that doesn't work, try a new mail profile.  (This URL may help:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/msg/d237493cf318ac54?hl=en -
> watch any line wrapping.)  If that doesn't work, your PST is damaged
> beyond repair.
> The information here may also help:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=195723
> --
> Brian Tillman
Assuming the one from Friday (that I've tried to repair) is trashed, I went
top the prior days backup & retrieved a copy of the pst file. If I go the
File>Open, I get the message: Properties for this information service must
be defined prior to use", followed by " The file <file name & path> is not a
personal folders file. If I try importing, I get the same messages.

0
mikey117 (63)
8/14/2005 3:08:20 PM
Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Assuming the one from Friday (that I've tried to repair) is trashed,
> I went top the prior days backup & retrieved a copy of the pst file.
> If I go the File>Open, I get the message: Properties for this
> information service must be defined prior to use", followed by " The
> file <file name & path> is not a personal folders file. If I try
> importing, I get the same messages.

Sounds like the earlier one is no good, either.
--
Brian Tillman
0

"Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Mike <mikey117@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Assuming the one from Friday (that I've tried to repair) is trashed,
>> I went top the prior days backup & retrieved a copy of the pst file.
>> If I go the File>Open, I get the message: Properties for this
>> information service must be defined prior to use", followed by " The
>> file <file name & path> is not a personal folders file. If I try
>> importing, I get the same messages.
>
> Sounds like the earlier one is no good, either.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
niets1925 (2)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

format of emailed excel file
In excel 2003 when I email a a particulat worksheet in a workbook I lose all the formating when it is recieved in Outlook 2003. Is there anyway to preserve the excel "look"? Thnaks, Craig S ...

problem #4

Show file location in title bar?
Is there a way to make Excel or Word show the location of a file in the title bar. Right now, it just shows the name of the file. I was thinking in 2003, it showed the file location, or perhaps there was an option to show it? I can't find the same thing in 2007 and it would be extremely helpful to have it! I use template files with the same name (for easy searching) but save in different client folders, which is why I want it to display the full path. Otherwise, I wouldn't care. Thanks!! Add "Document Location" to the QAT. You'll find it in the "Com...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Importing Message Archival
Hello everyone, I have turned on the message archival under IMS logging to for the purpose of backup. I can open these file with notepad for administrative purposes, but what I really need to do is to import these into a mail box or a pst file so I can read them using outlook. Any input is welcome, Thanks. Calvin wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I have turned on the message archival under IMS logging to for the purpose > of backup. I can open these file with notepad for administrative purposes, > but what I really need to do is to import these into a mail box or a pst >...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Software of scripting to grab data from MS word file and fill in Excel fields?
I have a 90 page financial report from MS word that I get each month. I would like to find a software package or scripting tool that will allow me to automate the process of grabbing #s from the ms word file and filling in fields in an excel file. I have a feel that there may be quite of programming involved in doing this. But perhaps there are some more efficient solutions out there. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks Hi, Do the numbers appear in the same part of the word document each tim (eg always in the same row/column of the same table). If so, copyin the data into excel should be ...

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Converting Mailbox into .pst
Hi, A long time ago I used a utility to "copy" clients mailboxes and "convert" them into .pst files. It was done on the server side. Now I can't remember what that utility was. Anyone know what I'm babbling about? Thanks! Mary Ps. We're still on Exchange 5.5... yay... exmerge.exe...great tool...use it a dozen times a day... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Mary" <Mary@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:OD4JyYZiGHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > A long time ago I used a utility to "copy" clients mailboxes and "co...