problem with address list/contacts folder

Hi,

I have recently had to do a clean reinstallation of windows, and then
reinstalled Outlook.  I had back ups of the .pst files, and copied
them into the relevant directories (local settings\application
data\microsoft\outlook).  I now realise this is not the way to do it
and I should've used import/export.

All of my data seems to have been successfully re-instated (email
messages, calendar, contacts etc).  But I when I write emails, Outlook
will not look up addresses from my contacts.  It says

"The address list could not be displayed.  The contacts folder
associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have
been removed or deleted, or you do not have permissions.  For
information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address
Book, see Microsoft Office Help".

I've tried looking it up in Help but haven't found anything that
covers this problem.

(I can write emails to contacts from the contacts view, or by replying
to messages, with no problems).

I have the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 287070, but this seems to
only talk about importing the whole .pst file.  I don't want to do
this, as I don't want to lose email messages received since I
reinstalled Outlook.

I am running Outlook 2002 (SP-1) with Windows XP

I would be grateful for any help with this, thanks

--
the above address is a spam trap
email to clarrie grundy aatt hhoott mmaill ddoott ccomm

me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently had to do a clean reinstallation of windows, and then
> reinstalled Outlook.  I had back ups of the .pst files, and copied
> them into the relevant directories (local settings\application
> data\microsoft\outlook).  I now realise this is not the way to do it
> and I should've used import/export.

No, you did it correctly.  You probably haven't added the Outlook Address
Book service to your profile.
--
Brian Tillman
Smiths Aerospace

Tillman (1436)
12/10/2003 9:15:01 PM
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:15:01 -0500, "Brian Tillman"
<Tillman@sparkingwire.com> wrote:

>me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have recently had to do a clean reinstallation of windows, and then
>> reinstalled Outlook.  I had back ups of the .pst files, and copied
>> them into the relevant directories (local settings\application
>> data\microsoft\outlook).  I now realise this is not the way to do it
>> and I should've used import/export.
>
>No, you did it correctly.  You probably haven't added the Outlook Address
>Book service to your profile.

OK, thanks.  How do I do that?

--
the above address is a spam trap
email to clarrie grundy aatt hhoott mmaill ddoott ccomm
0
me7986 (249)
12/10/2003 9:49:15 PM
Go to Tools | E-mail accounts, select "View or change existing directories
or address books", and click OK.  If you don't see the OAB in the
Directories and Address Books list, click the Back button, then select "Add
a new directory or address book", then "Additional Address Books", and add
the OAB.  Then keep clicking Back until you get back to the first dialog
box, and go back to the Directories and Address Books list as you did
earlier.

Once the OAB appears in the list, select it and then click Change to make
sure the Contacts folder(s) you want to display are listed.  If any of them
aren't listed, you'll need to enable those Contacts folders as Outlook
Address Books by right clicking the folder, selecting Properties, clicking
the Outlook Address Book tab, and checking the "Show this folder as an
E-mail address book" box.  Make sure you restart Outlook after making these
changes.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:b65ftvoo0s1ijbacg5n9o45tg360r2io0r@4ax.com,
Clarrie wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:15:01 -0500, "Brian Tillman"
> <Tillman@sparkingwire.com> wrote:
>
>> me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have recently had to do a clean reinstallation of windows, and
>>> then reinstalled Outlook.  I had back ups of the .pst files, and
>>> copied them into the relevant directories (local
>>> settings\application data\microsoft\outlook).  I now realise this
>>> is not the way to do it and I should've used import/export.
>>
>> No, you did it correctly.  You probably haven't added the Outlook
>> Address Book service to your profile.
>
> OK, thanks.  How do I do that?

Many thanks, Jocelyn - that solved my problem

--
the above address is a spam trap
email to clarrie grundy aatt hhoott mmaill ddoott ccomm
0
me7986 (249)
12/12/2003 3:14:47 PM
Thank you so much Jocelyn, that was bugging me too and now it is all fixed

Charlie
0
anonymous (74719)

List of DDE commands for Excel
Hi, I wont to send some commands from my application to Excel via DDE. Fo example : to select specific sheet in the excel workbook I use nex command - [WORKBOOK.SELECT("sheet-name")]. But I can't find the list of all these commands. Please help me -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you have a look in the object browser in the excel visual basi editor it will have a list of the VB commands excel will accept and i you hit F1 on them it will tell you what they do and usually giv syntax. Dunca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com 2 DNF Karran Th...

Problem shortcuts in Word

EFT remit numbers on an edit list
When printing a check batch that accidentally includes an EFT payment, the user does not have the capability to verify it when printing the edit list as the Remitxxxxx number only appears if you post the batch. The kb article: Payables EFT Option for Printing Remittances Now or Later (851283), says it was entered as a quality report (32944) and development turned it into a suggestion. However, the suggestion does not seem to exist here so I am re-submitting it as this feature has not yet been updated. The suggestion is to automatically assign the REMITXXXXX number to all EFT payments r...

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

Exmerge-type Public Folder utility?
Does anyone know of an Exmerge-type utility that would allow me to export PF items to a PST? We've got some overly large folders I would like to back up or delete items from. I don't want to go through the Outlook client. Thanks You can also age/expire PF posts rather than deleting manually. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "ZLorca" <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dik0db0mr4@news1.newsguy.com... > Does anyone know of an Exmerge-type utility that would allow me to export > PF items to a PST? We've got some over...

calendar problem

Safe senders list
I am using Office XP Outlook 2002. I have been trying to create a "safe senders list" with no success. Can anyone help me? I am going crazy trying to filter out all this SPAM! I can't find any information on a "Safe senders list" in Outlook 2002 but here is the information I was able to find for the Junk E-mail filters in Outlook 2002. Here are some links to articles about working with the Junk E-mail filters, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;298734, and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;286049. I hope this informati...

problem #4

List of Symbols for Business Entities
Hello all - I am trying to find a list of commonly used symbols for business entities used in organizational charts, i.e. upside-down triangle represents a partnership. Does anyone know of a place on the internet that lists these symbols or can send me a list of these symbols? Thanks very much for your help. - Bill Burgess ...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

forward on e-mail address to other domain e-mail address
Hi, i have microsoft exchange 2003. is there a way to set up incoming e- mail from one address to go to one of my domain e-mail address. ex. JOHN.SMITH@aol.com sends a e-mail to anyone on my domain. Can that e-mail be forward to my webmaster e-mail account. so any e-mails that come thought my exchange server from that address be forward to one of my domain accounts. thanks for your help. ...

Problem after sorting