Primary Key in contacts?

Is there a primary key in the contacts database?  I'm linking via Access and
to be able to ID the records with guaranteed uniqueness would be helpful

--
Jim Connell
Custom Software

Contacts are not managed in a database form within Outlook. The Outlook address book was created
to  resmemble a rolodex with greater efficiency and functionality. It does not hold  a primary key as a
relational database would. The following article refers to primary keys and Outlook data:

292020.KB.EN-US OL2002: Creating Sequentially-Numbered Items in a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;292020

BUT...you can import contact items into an Access database. Please review the following articles to
do this:

290792.KB.EN-US OL2002: How to Programmatically Export Outlook Items to Microsoft Access
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;290792

290829.KB.EN-US OL2002: How to Store Outlook Items in an Access Database
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;290829

--------------------
>From: "Jim Connell" <JimConnell3@comcast.net>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
>Subject: Primary Key in contacts?
>Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:52:49 -0500

>Is there a primary key in the contacts database?  I'm linking via Access and
>to be able to ID the records with guaranteed uniqueness would be helpful
>
>--
>Jim Connell
>Custom Software
>978-392-3462
>www.custom-software.biz

William R. Tatum III - MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Tecnnical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications

A property named EntryID, in conjunction with the folder property
StoreID for the folder where the item is stored is unique for each
item in Outlook. EntryID will change if an item is moved or deleted
(in non-PST mail stores), but other than that those properties can be
used to identify an item.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginners Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"William Tatum[MSFT]" <williamt@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Contacts are not managed in a database form within Outlook. The
Outlook address book was created
> to  resmemble a rolodex with greater efficiency and functionality.
It does not hold  a primary key as a
> relational database would. The following article refers to primary
keys and Outlook data:

> 292020.KB.EN-US OL2002: Creating Sequentially-Numbered Items in a
Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;292020
>
> BUT...you can import contact items into an Access database. Please
review the following articles to
> do this:
>
> 290792.KB.EN-US OL2002: How to Programmatically Export Outlook Items
to Microsoft Access
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;290792
>
> 290829.KB.EN-US OL2002: How to Store Outlook Items in an Access
Database
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;290829

0
kenslovak (742)

microsoft office professional 2007 trial product key
My computor is not accepting the product key,what must i do? From where did you get the product key from -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Kaiser" <Kaiser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C6101C5-A75D-4A84-B48C-992FDA921A70@microsoft.com... > My computor is not accepting the product key,what must i do? He may have stolen it from somewhere. What difference does this make? Has your wife also joined your sister and your mum in the escort ...

Appointments in CRM forcing regarding contact to attend
Hello, I have a very strange issue. When I create an appointment for a contact in CRM and Sync to outlook it forces the contact as required in outlok even if I add the contact as optional in CRM. But when I do the same thing in another MS CRM implementation it does not force the contact as a required attendee. The real issue is the scheduler moves the appointments around until they find the best schedule for everyone then he emails everyone the final appointment time. But now, everytime he moves the appointment in Outlook the stupid thing emails the contact everytime. So if the ...

Primary partitions
Say I have four hard drives(physical drives) in one computer. Is the four primary partition per each physical hard drive? In theory than I could have 16 primary partitions in a computer that has four physical drives. Is this statement correct? With Microsoft's partitioning that's correct. There are other utilities that will let you do more than four primary partitions. If your installing Win 7 let it do the partitioning. Win 7 has a 100MB partition for system files and then another primary partition for the rest of Win 7. Win 7, as does Vista, you can shrink...

two units on primary Y axis
Hay!! I have spent quite some time looking for a solution and I doubt there is one. Is it possible to have two units on primary Y axis such us for example EUR /USD.. For example primary Y would have values such us : 1000 EUR / 1300 USD, 2000 EUR/2600 USD etc.. If there was a way that custom format would include possibility of calculation for unit.. tnx Rado Hi, Perhaps you can create a fake value axis using a dummy data series plotted as xy-scatter. Display data labels which are linked to cells that have the required text. Data for series would be like, X Y Label 0 ...

Public Folder Calendar/Contacts Blank
We are seeing a problem with Outlook XP on Exchange 2000 when if you go to shared Public Folder calendar (CalendarA) you can view the details of that calendar but if you switch to a different Public Folder calendar (CalendarB) you see nothing. If you log out of Outlook and back in, you can go to the problem calendar (CalendarB) and see the contents but the original Calendar is blank (CalendarA). Logging out and back in and going to CalendarA brings up that view but prevents the other. Permissions are okay, it works on Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003 but not on Outlook XP. I've seen ...

Posting Notes to a Group of Contacts
I would like to post a note to a group of contacts in a view. Can anyone point me in the right direction. TIA! Donnie Donnie, Create a manual workflow rule that does one action: Insert a Note. Then, select all contacts you want to apply the note to, Then, select Apply Rule from the Actions menu, and select your rule. Good luck, Dave ------------------------------------------------- David L. Carr, President Visionary Software Consulting, Inc. Main #: 971-327-6944 To download a fully functional trial version of VAST, (Visionary Audit System Tools for Microsoft CRM), that works against...

Hi I have a custom entity associated with Opportunities called Required Conditions. From the Opportunity enity I need to be able to check the count of the Required Conditions in order to disallow/allow certain actions. The simplest way of doing this (from what I can see) would be to populate a field on Opportunity with the count of the Required Conditions when the Opporutnity is loaded, however I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone out there assist? TIA Saira You may want to consider a callout (3.0)/plug-in (4.0) instead. Whenever one of your custom entities is created, updated...

Can't use key and keyref with an attribute in a group
Hi, Why can't I create a key and keyref with an attribute declared in an attribute group? Code below describes what I'm trying to accomplish. <!-- An attribute group --> <xs:attributeGroup name="AttGMain"> <xs:attribute name="Name" type="xs:string" /> <xs:attribute name="Type" type="xs:string" /> </xs:attributeGroup> <!-- CT using group above --> <xs:complexType name="ctView"> <xs:all> <xs:element name="Control" type="ctControl" /> <xs:eleme...

License Key Problems
I needed to unplug everything that was connected to the computer including the USB license key. After moving the computer to a different location and pluging back the USB license key, the POS tells me that the registration was not found. That was ok for a few days but now the POS has turned red and says its for Evaluation only. I'm afraid that the pos will stop working and prevent me from cashing people out on my lone register. I've tried pluging the key back in, re-starting the computer and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? try putting it to ano...

Contacts should have both a primary contact and primary account
My customer would like to have both a primary contact and primary account like the account record. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=dcb8b04e-171f-4d5a-8b96-f...

Shortcut key #2
My forward slash key I believe is acting like a shortcut key. When in a table and I push it, it highlights the file menu. I cannot put a forward slash into my tables. It does not show any shortcut keys through. I would appreciate any help as I don't want to mess things up. Thanks for any ideas. To remove it, tools>options>transition and clean out the menu key box -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "J Evans" <evans@yvn.com> wrote in message news:05f701c3b3ba$8296dd80$a401280a@phx.gbl... > My forward slash key I believe is acting like a shortcut > key. When ...

License key transfer
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 Home and Student edition. It is to my understanding that I have 3 license keys. I've already used up all 3 license keys on 3 different computers. However, this is my situation. I bought a new Mac and want to install Office on it. Am I able to uninstall Office on my old Mac, then install Office on my new Mac with the same license key I use on my old Mac? Thanks! On 9/26/09 5:04 PM, in article 59b7d5cc.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "okatidubi@officeformac.com" <okati...

Primary addresses and rejections
Running an inherited Exchange 2000 server using DNS, no smarthost. My problem is resolved...but I'm trying to understand what happened and why. Here's the events that occured...this morning, I tried to set an email deletion policy in the Recipient Policies container in Exchange. For some reason (still don't know what I did wrong), doing this changed everyone's primary email address to a different one. (for some background...originally this server was setup for the format such as jsmith@domain.com ....recently, they changed the email addresses to the format john.smith@doma...

Opening a contact clears the clipboard
I'm experiencing some odd behavior with Outlook contacts (Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6735) SP3 running on Windows XP Professional SP2). Every time I open a contact record, the clipboard is cleared. This occurs if I am creating a new contact, or if I open an existing contact. Nothing similar happens when I open other Outlook forms. Can anybody suggest any place to look for the cause of this behavior? -- Michael S. Meyers-Jouan Please reply to the newsgroup to keep the thread intact E-mail first name at last name ".name" it's a known issue. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outl...

Use registry key PrinterPrivateData to detect a physical/virtual printer?
Hola, I am programmatically trying to identify a physical printer like "HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL" and "Brother HL-P2000" from virtual printers like "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" and "Microsoft Office Live Meeting Document Writer" and "Adobe PDF" Is it safe to assume that each physical printer will have a value(s) under the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\<printer-name>\PrinterPrivateData? What is the significance of key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\&...

download some Outlook 2003 contacts to my Sharp GX15 mobile
I'm trying to download some Outlook 2003 contacts to my Sharp GX15 mobile. I use Windows XP Home Edition. I select the contact in Outlook 2003 and then File - Send File to Bluetooth. For most of the contacts it downloads without any problem although for some contacts (it appears mainly for contacts that have more fields completed than just the basic name and phone numbers, etc.) I get an error message on the phone of 'Card rejected' and then on the laptop 'The request could not be honored'. Any advice as to why there is this apparent inconsistency would be very much ...

Vista's Contacts not working
Hi, I tried using a tweak to move my "user files" folder's to "my documents" folder left from the XP OS which was on another partition on my hard drive, it didn't work well so I reversed everything. Now every time I click on "contacts", the "my documents" folder opens up which now shows as a shortcut in my Vista's "user files". My Contacts folder (which is empty) is still in the "user files" folder. However, I cannot open Contacts by a shortcut or within the Windows mail. I checked the Contacts shortcut in ...

Primary Keys
I have a table of data where the primary key is a short code. A number of these codes are grouped together to produce a reporting group. I have now encountered a problem where i have had to set the report name and the short code as primary keys, as i am overlapping on the short codes. The problem is that i can no longer amend data in my report, while in a datasheet view and somebody else is in the db. The table is linked to another table using the 1st primary key as a link Do you know how i can resolve this issue? ...

Do I have to set the primary key to include primary key fields?
I have read that "in a junction table, you need to set the primary key to include the primary key fields from the other two tables. " If I do this, I keep getting the error message "the change you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship. The only way I'm entering data is through a form based on a query which automatically writes to all 3 tables (the junction and 2 parents) at once. If I remove the primary keys in the junction tables, I no longer get the error message....

Outbox not clearing after mail sent & 3/4 of e-mail contacts dissapeared
This evening my outbox is not emptying when a message is sent. It still acts like the e-mail hasn't been sent. If you try to close Outlook you are asked if you really want to close Outlook because there are still messages to be sent. I checked and the e-mail is in fact being sent. At the same time about 3/4 of my contacts dissappeared. I can reconstruct them because I have them backed up. Any idea of what's going on and how to fix it? Here is some info that will help narrow down this problem Yesterday I got a message that told me that Norton Antivirus was having a problem...

Arrow Keys 03-25-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel All of a sudden my arrow keys move in the opposite direction to what is intended (down go up and right go left etc). This only happens in Word. Can anyone help me correct this? PJH: Try the same fix I just sent to Simon. Let us know how it turns out... Cheers On 25/03/10 7:23 PM, in article 59bb5eb7.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "PJH@officeformac.com" <PJH@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > All of a s...

How to remove Microsoft Business Contact Manager?
Windows XP SP2 Outlook 2003 SP2 Have added Microsoft Business Contact Manager and do not want to use it with Outlook anymore. How do I remove the contact manager from Outlook? TIA Right click on its root folder and select close. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, bobhat@hotmail.com asked: | Windows XP SP2 | Outlook 2003 SP2 | | Have added Microsoft Business Contact Manager and do not want to use | it with Outloo...

Public Folder Contact Problem #2
I am running exchange 5.5 sp4. I have a couple of public folders used for maintaining contacts. We use one folder called "recruiting" for maintaining job applicants and their information. We have another folder called "employees" which have our employees in them. The idea here is that we add the job applicant, and then at the bottom of the contact, in the contacts section, we add the person who is going to interview them. If I open a recruiting contact, and at the bottom of the contact, where it says "Contacts", add an employee from the "employee&qu...

Bus. Card in Contacts
Shared insight: Yes, there is a picture field. And I tried it for business cards. Too small. But you can drop a bitmap in the comments field. Ha! rs --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.822 / Virus Database: 560 - Release Date: 12/22/2004 ...

Found contact too many times
I find it irritating when I try to use contacts sometimes. I create a contact, add a phone number, a fax number and and a nick name. I start an e-mail. For a while entering the nick-name works, and then it stops working and I cannot even FIND the name when I enter it (when I e-mail myself at home, my nick-name was "me", and that worked for over a year. I forgot what I did to get it to work last time). So I start typing in the name and let it auto-complete. It gives me a choice between e-mailing to two identical versions of my e-mail address (although I can only find it once...