POP3 not removing items from the server after download

I have Outlook 2010 and my e-mail provider is BT Yahoo.  I have always had
Outlook configured to remove items from the server after they have
downloaded and this has worked perfectly well for years.  From Friday 26th
August after downloading e-mails they are not being removed from the BT
Yahoo server.  Instead they are transferred from the BT Yahoo Inbox to the
BT Yahoo Trash file.  I have checked my Outlook Account Settings and they
are still as they were.  I have set up a new Outlook Profile and that has
the same result after downloading.

The only thing that I have changed is the location of my .pst file.  Because
I upgraded a few months ago, the .pst file stayed in Users - AppData - Local
and I have now moved it to the Outlook Files folder in My Documents.  I have
a PC and a Laptop so have set the .pst in Outlook Files to be shared so I
can pick up that folder no matter whether I use my laptop or PC in the
house.  But I did that on Wednesday night and the downloading issue was not
there on Thursday (and the same downloading issue also happens if I use my
laptop).

BT has checked and its technicians are puzzled.  They are looking into it
further.

Has anyone heard of this happening elsewhere?  Could a Microsoft update have
made some Registry change which has caused the issue to happen?

David

David Patterson wrote:

> I have Outlook 2010 and my e-mail provider is BT Yahoo.  I have always had
> Outlook configured to remove items from the server after they have
> downloaded and this has worked perfectly well for years.  From Friday 26th
> August after downloading e-mails they are not being removed from the BT
> Yahoo server.  Instead they are transferred from the BT Yahoo Inbox to the
> BT Yahoo Trash file.  I have checked my Outlook Account Settings and they
> are still as they were.  I have set up a new Outlook Profile and that has
> the same result after downloading.
>
> The only thing that I have changed is the location of my .pst file.  Because
> I upgraded a few months ago, the .pst file stayed in Users - AppData - Local
> and I have now moved it to the Outlook Files folder in My Documents.  I have
> a PC and a Laptop so have set the .pst in Outlook Files to be shared so I
> can pick up that folder no matter whether I use my laptop or PC in the
> house.  But I did that on Wednesday night and the downloading issue was not
> there on Thursday (and the same downloading issue also happens if I use my
> laptop).
>
> BT has checked and its technicians are puzzled.  They are looking into it
> further.
>
> Has anyone heard of this happening elsewhere?  Could a Microsoft update have
> made some Registry change which has caused the issue to happen?
>
> David

A POP client can only send the DELEte command to request the server to
remove an item by its UID from your mailbox.  POP only understands the
concept of a mailbox.  There are no folders in a POP mailbox.  POP has
no folder commands.  Any folders that are presented in the web interface
to your e-mail account are solely created by that webmail interface.  A
POP client can only access the mailbox (which is the Inbox folder
presented by the webmail interface).

For most webmail services, deleting an item from its Inbox (which is the
mailbox that your POP client can access) means moving it into their
Trash folder.  So, from your description, Yahoo is behaving correctly.
If deleting an Inbox item used to make the item disappear (not get moved
by the server from your Inbox to the Trash folder) then there would have
to be an option to permanently delete instead of delete (which moves the
item from Inbox to Trash).  Sorry, I don't use Yahoo for e-mail via POP
(because it's not free for yahoo.com) but what you describe (DELE
command from POP client has item moved from webmail Inbox folder to
webmail Trash folder) is what happens with other webmail providers that
I use that grant POP access.  While you are using a POP client, their
webmail client like Outlook in that deleting an Inbox item moves it to
the Trash folder (which gets emptied periodically).

You cannot see the Junk and Trash folders in your webmail account using
a POP client.  You would have to login to Yahoo's webmail interface to
see those folders.  If you are seeing those folders in Outlook then you
are now using IMAP instead of POP; however, I didn't think that Yahoo
have IMAP access and just offered POP access (but I don't use BT for my
ISP and they may have something differently setup with the Yahoo-
contracted services for BT).  Are you using POP, as you say, or IMAP to
access your e-mail account?

If your complaint is that Outlook, while configured as a POP client, is
moving a deleted Inbox item into the Trash folder when viewing your
account using their webmail interface, that's how normally works.  Their
server moves the item despite that Outlook as a POP client can only
access the Inbox folder (the mailbox) and issue the DELE command.
While Outlook as requested a DELEte of the item from your mailbox, their
webmail service will instead move it from the webmail Inbox folder to
the webmail Trash folder.  When I log into mail.yahoo.com and go under
my accounts options, I see no option to change this behavior (to
permanently delete an item instead of do the pseudo-delete by moving
into the Trash folder).

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.
0
V4521 (722)
8/28/2011 4:24:20 PM
Thank you.  Firstly, I do not have IMAP interface with BT Yahoo so I do not
see any of BT Yahoo's folders in Outlook unless I go into its webmail.  It
is a POP access.  I always have the webmail open and scan it before I
download anything.  This is how I picked up that BT Yahoo has now begun to
action the DELEte command from Outlook by moving the items from the BT Yahoo
Inbox to the BT Yahoo Trash folder.  All I can repeat, ad nauseam, is that
for years the items have been completely removed from the BT server.  That
suddenly changed from the 26th August.

I think from what you are saying is that the problem is with BT so when they
contact me again tomorrow I hope that they may have some idea as to what has
happened.

David.

"VanguardLH"  wrote in message news:j3dq2l$7t1$1@news.albasani.net...

David Patterson wrote:

> [...]

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.

I've now had an update from BT.  They have now a number of other users
experiencing the same issue.  They think it is a problem with the Yahoo
server so have "raised a ticket" for it to be investigated.

David

David Patterson wrote:

> [...]

If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
configured to behave that way.  I don't have OL2010.  In OL2003, under
an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
issuing the RETRieve command.  When Outlook sends the DELE command
depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.

If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
behavior.  That's on their end, not yours.  All Outlook can do is issue
the DELE command and hope the server obeys.

it's possible Yahoo did it intentionally - hotmail now moves mail to a
different folder when its deleted from the server. This prevents
problems when users set up new accounts and forget to change the setting
to leave on server.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
OutlookForums http://www.outlookforums.com

On 8/29/2011 8:14 PM, David Patterson wrote:
> [...]
>
> If the problem is that the item remains in the webmail *Inbox* folder
> after you have deleted it from Outlook then perhaps you have Outlook
> configured to behave that way. I don't have OL2010. In OL2003, under
> an account definition, under General -> More Settings -> Advanced tab,
> is the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" disabled or enabled?
> If enabled then Outlook won't immediately issue a DELEte command after
> issuing the RETRieve command. When Outlook sends the DELE command
> depends on the other 2 sub-options: delete after N days and remove when
> deleted from Outlook's Deleted Items folder.
>
> If there is some change in behavior in the webmail client to your
> account, nothing you do in Outlook is going to modify that changed
> behavior. That's on their end, not yours. All Outlook can do is issue
> the DELE command and hope the server obeys.
outlookmvp (5838)

Problems downloading WMplayer11
I recently reloaded windows xp pro to my computer.When I try to download wmplayer11...after it validates my copy I am told that i cannot download w/o wmp5 which I cannot find ! On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:55:01 -0800, Narmer61 <Narmer61@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recently reloaded windows xp pro to my computer.When I try to download >wmplayer11...after it validates my copy I am told that i cannot download w/o >wmp5 which I cannot find ! There is no media player 5, so it must say something else. Does it say internet explorer 5 ? If you're having pro...

Deleting/removing unused rows in a worksheet
Excel 2007 all MS updates Is it possible to delete rows without ANY data automatically? Currently, I have a 2000+ row spreadsheet that has 250+ blank rows. Instead of doing this manually, how can the removal or deletion (squishing!) of the blank rows be done? For example, say I have a spreadsheet with data in rows 1, 2,4,6,8 and 12. All I really need are THESE rows with data. I want to squish, eliminate, delete the rows in 3,5,7,9,10,11. How can I do this by 'highlighting' or whatever the entire set (rows 1-12 above) and then performing an "delete empty row"...

# of servers clarification..
I see what seems to be conflicting advice from time to time, so I would like a clarification.. How many DC servers can I have in an SBS domain? Would, for instance, ONE SBS server and another w2k3 server (with AD installed) work? ...but no more than one SBServer in the domain? ( I know I can have multiple member servers) Second clarification.. When upgrading a SBS to SP1.............should the W2K3 SP be installed first, THEN the SBS SP1? I'm struggling big time with SP1 upgrades. Out of 3 SBS servers I've upgraded to SP1, 2 of them are experiencing multiple errors (see...

remove all frames
Hi My document is having text with all in frames i need to remove all frames at a time thanks If they are frames and not text boxes, selecting the whole document and pressing Ctrl+Q (which resets paragraph formatting to that of the underlying style) should do the trick. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "naveen" <naveen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4F15163-EAC8-4491-952F-9424358503F3@microsoft.com... > Hi > My document is having text with all in frames > i need to remove all frames at a time &...

does IIS server effect the Outlook working
My outlook is working for incoming emails but not for outgoing emails. incoming= POP3 = port:110 Outgoing= SMTP = port: 80 iis server is using the same port no. 80 is it a problem Currently i am having .NET in my system does it affect Outlook work. I am using Godaddy server, incoming: mail.cybersoftdesigns.com outgoing: smtpout.securesrver.net Help me. Did you activate SMTP relay on your GoDaddy account? By the way, the ports GoDaddy supports is 25, 80, and 3535 for smtpout.secureserver.net. If the above question is a yes, give 3535 a shot. (By the way, I took this from http://help.g...

POP3 not connecting
I have a random problem with users getting a "cannot connect to POP3 server" message & not receiving mail. The POP3 address is correct. The mail site is up & working fine - in fact I can visit that URL at the same time I'm getting the "POP3" message & it goes there just fine. If we re-boot, it will connect right up & no more problems with Outlook finding the site... I have 40 users on a win2000 server network with exchange2000 running & Outlook2000 client on each machine. This problem comes up on 1 - 2 users per day Joe Rogers wrote: &g...

Problem with sync desktop outlook Contact with MSCRM server
When i try to sync the outlook Desktop it freeze and stuck the client machine and when I sync only the appointment and task there is no problem. the messege i see in the sync is trying to sync 356 contacts and it failes when it allmost finish to sync and there is only 1 contact left to sync it's freeze and the client machine stop working and we need to close the Outlook from the Task Manager. By the way i tried to install the outlook with the user profile on another machine and get the same problem. please If anyone known this issue please let me know my email is : itsik@effectcrm.co...

item template
I want to know if theres a template I can make that has all the information already storeed so I only have to input the bar code and description. is this possible so when I use the new item wizard I dont have to input everything individually everytime. When you input a new Item, use the Copy button, not new from Database, Items. If you select copy everything is copied, you just have to change the bar code, and description. "Angelique" wrote: > I want to know if theres a template I can make that has all the information > already storeed so I only have to input the bar ...

POP3/SMTP external authentication error "550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay"
Hey guys(and Gals) I am having some problems here trying to allow a client to access and send mail from an outside source via pop3 connection. I have a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Exchange Server 2003. I have all of the default settings in place. In addition, I have an SMTP connector in place with the default reccommended settings My default settings for the SMTP virtual server include the following Authentication = Anonymous, Basic, Integrated Windows Authentication Relay = Only the list below (with a blank panel), Allow all computers which successfully authenticate... I have the ...

Can't remove "send message" toolbar
I have an excel file that I use frequently. I sent it as an e-mail, and saved the file when den with it. Now when I open it, it has several lines under the usual toolbars dealing with "sending e-mail" ie Send this sheet, to, cc, subject etc. I've looked all over and can't seem to be able to toggle this feature on or off. The file itself works fine, and I assume this is a toolbar feature to allow for quick e-mailing, but would like to remove it. Answered my own question. You click on the e-mail icon in the standard toolbar to remove it. "Scott" wrote:...

how to remove side number that show on the excel worksheet?
when i print out a worksheet it comes out with the number 1 - whatever on the left. I was wondering how to stop it from print those numbers? Try this: File|Page Setup|Sheet tab Make sure "Row and Column Headings" is unchecked. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "BEN" wrote: > when i print out a worksheet it comes out with the number 1 - whatever on > the left. > I was wondering how to stop it from print those numbers? If I understand the problem, it looks like you may need to go to FILE, PAGE SETUP, then SHEET and deselect a ch...

Problem
Ever since I added a Microsoft Exchange Server Account and all it6s associated folders and its in-box to my pre-existing Personal Outlook 2003 POP3 folders, I have had nothing but confusion. The Exchange Server account from my workplace downloads its messages into the in-Box for my private ISP POP3 account and vice versa. When I try to configure a rule for my personal POP3 account so that any messages addressed to my workplace account are loaded into the exchange server in-box on my client PC, the software tells me I have to go on-line to Exchange Server - even to create rules for th...

Removing Hyperlinks #3
I cut and pasted some information off of the internet onto a spreadsheet. How can I remove all of the hyperlinks contained in the spreadsheet quickly? I know how to do it individually, but there has to be a way to speed it up. I use the macro found in http://sniptools.com/tipstricks/deleting-all-hyperlinks-from-a-microsoft-office-document "Sloth" wrote: > I cut and pasted some information off of the internet onto a spreadsheet. > How can I remove all of the hyperlinks contained in the spreadsheet quickly? > I know how to do it individually, but there has to be a w...

SQL Server Edition
Hi Experts I have serveral SQL Server and many instances under each server. I have problem in finding what are the editions of each instance. I know the following techs 1. SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition') (T-SQL and ADO) 2. select @@VERSION (T-SQL and ADO) 3. Using freeware MAP 4. reading registry 5. Looking at the \LOG\errolog file I have limitation is using this in our env. I am particularly expecting a way to read from WMI. Can anyone forward me the script to read server na...

Hw to setup public Exchange server
Hi all, appologies for this stupid post, but I need a help. Our company are using SBS 2003 SP1 with POP3 connector. That means our Exchange (from SBS) collect POP3 mails from our ISP's network. I have a part of experience with exchange setup (message delivery, recipient policies, administer mailbox stores...). Now, we bought static IP address and we'd like to publish Exchange on Internet with our FQDN (e-mails). Windows 2003 Server environment; AD, DNS, ISA2004, Exchange 2003 Std or Ent. Please give me any suggestion or web page for begining - how to setup clean Exchange instal...

Contact Manager without Exchange Server???
My office doesn't use the Exchange server. Can I install and use the Business Contact Manager or the Outlook Contact Manager without the Exchange server??? It's only supposed to work with SBS2003, but can be hacked - see http://www.slipstick.com/bcm/bcmfaq.aspx for more information. On 26 Apr 2004 09:21, =?Utf-8?B?SVQgTmlnaHRtYXJl?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My office doesn't use the Exchange server. Can I install and use the Business >Contact Manager or the Outlook Contact Manager without the Exchange server??? > > -- Diane Poremsky [M...

Downloads Don't appear in register
Transactions from two different accounts indicated that they downloaded. Both accounts indicate that there are items to review, but when I open the register the items to review are not bold and as far as I can tell are not visable in the register? On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:04:03 -0500, Paul Keller wrote: > Transactions from two different accounts indicated that they downloaded. > Both accounts indicate that there are items to review, but when I open the > register the items to review are not bold and as far as I can tell are not > visable in the register? A number of peopl...

Problems with front-end Exchange 2003 server and OMA
We've recently upgraded our organization to use a front-end Exchange 2003 server running on Windows 2000 and although OWA access works fine, we're running into some problems getting OMA to work. The front-end Exchange 2003 server was upgraded from Exchange 2000 but the back-end server was a fresh install of Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server. The configuration of the front-end server uses SSL on both the Exchange and OMA directories and both directories are configured for basic authentication. Although I've read that having SSL enabled on these directories could lead to connec...

POP3 Ques. Outlk 03. Exchange server. want to rec'v POP3 but not
My desktop runs XP with Outlook 2003. Attached to office network. Network has an Exchange server. I have three email accts set up: Exchange - my office email; a POP3 acct which is my personal acct; and an IMAP acct using gmail. I have no problem with the Exchange acct or with the IMAP acct. I receive email via the POP3 acct. My Outlook is always trying to send on the POP3 but is unable to do that. I don't care. I want to turn off sending on the POP3 but receive the POP3 email. I think the constant effort to send on the POP3 acct is slowing my Outlook performance. An...

Cannot Download Statement
I use Washington Mutual. I go to their website and try to download a statement into Money. The statement appears to download properly (I see the progress dialog finish and go away), but then Money does not suck the file in! Can someone help me to solve this problem? Thanks! -Corey This very topic is discussed a lot. Try these three things: - clear all your temporary internet files. - clear the check on 'do not save encrypted pages to disk' in IE - Insure the OFX file type is associated with mnyimprt.exe, (note that this wouldn't change unless you changed it). Try search...

Getting the Average on Items
When I get an invoice I input the cost of a particular item, and I have SO Manager set up under Configuration Cost Update Method (Weighted Average), isn't this suppose to give me the average of an item if I purchased it once at $2 then next time at $2.50 for an average of $2.25? Doesn't seem to be working??? -- Thank You Vince :) it depends on the quantity you still have at the old price and the quantity you receive at the new price... if you have 1 on hand that you bought at $2, and you receive 1 at 2.50, then yes, the weighted avg. is going to be $2.25. if you have 0 on ...

GET.CHART.ITEM returning strange results
I have some functionality written in VB that I am re-writing in C#, but I am getting a different result from the GET.CHART.ITEM macro for the exact same chart series point. This is running in Excel 2003. An example: VB CODE: --> result is 337.5 Dim returnValue as variant Series.points(1).select returnValue = Application. ExecuteExcel4Macro("GET.CHART.ITEM(1,1)") C# CODE: --> result is 309.25 Series.points(1).select object returnValue = _application.ExecuteExcel4Macro(("GET.CHART.ITEM(1,1)"); Another interesting note is that I run the same C# code on the sa...

No sent Items!
have a user who is remote. She recently had her Dell laptop motherboard replace 10/12/03. She noticed today that Outlook has not been keeping record of her sent emails. I'm sure the MB has nothing to do with this but I have look at all the Options and Outlook 2002 is configure to record sent items but there is nothing after that date. She sent me several test messages while on the phone together that were not recorded in her sent items. I checked her views and everything is standard. Listed by date and by names, nothing. I had her do an Outlook repair and I had her run the scanpst ...

Webhosted POP3 without a Exchange POP3
Hello, My current environment includes a windows SBS 2003 domain with exchange 2003. Our e-mail currently is being webhosted and most of our users have Exchange POP3 mailboxes setup. This is working just fine for getting mail from the Internet. The problem that I am having is that I have a user who has a webhosted POP3 account but is not setup with a Exchange POP3 mailbox and since the user is not setup with the mailbox I can not send her e-mail and I get an error about an e-mail that does not exist at the organization. This makes sense because no Exchange mailbox was setup. I can not se...

Mapi and Exchange server 2007
Which mapi dll does exchnage server 2007 use? how we can use that dll in .net? ...