POP3 not connecting

I have a random problem with users getting a "cannot connect to POP3 server"
message & not receiving mail.  The POP3 address is correct.  The mail site is
up & working fine - in fact I can visit that URL at the same time I'm getting
the "POP3" message & it goes there just fine.  If we re-boot, it will connect
right up & no more problems with Outlook finding the site...

I have 40 users on a win2000 server network with exchange2000 running &
Outlook2000 client on each machine.  This problem comes up on 1 - 2 users per
day
0
JoeRogers (2)

Joe Rogers wrote:
> I have a random problem with users getting a "cannot connect to POP3
> server" message & not receiving mail.  The POP3 address is correct.
> The mail site is up & working fine - in fact I can visit that URL at
> the same time I'm getting the "POP3" message & it goes there just
> fine.  If we re-boot, it will connect right up & no more problems
> with Outlook finding the site...
>
> I have 40 users on a win2000 server network with exchange2000 running
> & Outlook2000 client on each machine.  This problem comes up on 1 - 2
> users per day

If you're using OL2000 you can't use POP/IMAP and Exchange in the same
profile or you will run into a lot of problems. It isn't supported. I
haven't seen this particular problem, but I've seen plenty of others, and I
strongly recommend you change your config.

OL2002/2003 can handle this a lot better - but I still recommend hosting
*all* your domain's mail on the Exchange server and letting it handle
everything rather than using a decentralized model like you have now, which
is a huge PITA to administer and isn't too efficient.

Or have I misunderstood, and is there some reason you're accessing your
Exchange server itself via POP in Outlook on your LAN?

0
lanwench (7567)
12/8/2004 8:06:08 PM
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

> If you're using OL2000 you can't use POP/IMAP and Exchange in the same
> profile or you will run into a lot of problems. It isn't supported.

Not true.  Exchange+POP is supported in CW mode and IMAP+POP is supported in
Internet mode.  This is from MS's web site.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q245446/

> and IMAP+POP is
> supported in Internet mode.

Right - but that doesn't include Exchange.

> This is from MS's web site.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/9/2004 2:40:18 PM
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q245446/

That article says "may", not "will".
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/9/2004 4:27:07 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q245446/
>
> That article says "may", not "will".

"Microsoft does not support this configuration." :-)

0
lanwench (7567)
12/9/2004 5:22:43 PM
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:

> "Microsoft does not support this configuration." :-)

You win!  However, I myself have never had any problems with Exchange and
POP accounts together in one profile for any version of Outlook.  Perhaps
I've been lucky.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
12/9/2004 7:16:17 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "Microsoft does not support this configuration." :-)
>
> You win!  However, I myself have never had any problems with Exchange
> and POP accounts together in one profile for any version of Outlook.
> Perhaps I've been lucky.

Yes, yes, you have, you devil. :)

0
lanwench (7567)

POP3 not connecting
I have a random problem with users getting a "cannot connect to POP3 server" message & not receiving mail. The POP3 address is correct. The mail site is up & working fine - in fact I can visit that URL at the same time I'm getting the "POP3" message & it goes there just fine. If we re-boot, it will connect right up & no more problems with Outlook finding the site... I have 40 users on a win2000 server network with exchange2000 running & Outlook2000 client on each machine. This problem comes up on 1 - 2 users per day Joe Rogers wrote: &g...

OWA 2003 connect failure with HTTP 404
Windows 2003 SP1 with newly installed Exchange Server 2003 SP2 as a mailbox server OWA users failed to log on with HTTP error 404 right from day one after installation Right-clicking Exchange virtual directory in IIS Manager and choose Explore resulted in "Page cannot be displayed". Wasn't this supposed to display the folders in the mailbox root? Right-clicking "Exchange virtual directory" in IIS Manager and choose Browse resulted in "Page cannot be found". The "Local Path" field of Exchange virtual directory does show "\\.\BackOffice...

Redundant Internet Mail Connection Problem
We have 2 Internet connections one in Phila and another in Chicago. An Exchange server(All servers are Exchange 2003) in Phila is the Primary IMC with a cost of 5 and a server in Chicago as a Secondary IMC with a cost of 7. If the mail server in Phila goes down all outbound mail was sent to the Chicago server for delivery. This was working 100% Today we retired the old Phila server and replaced it with a new server. This server seems to be setup the same way and is forwarding email 100% internally and externally. If we take down SMTP on the server mail no longer forwards to the sec...

POP3/SMTP external authentication error "550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay"
Hey guys(and Gals) I am having some problems here trying to allow a client to access and send mail from an outside source via pop3 connection. I have a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Exchange Server 2003. I have all of the default settings in place. In addition, I have an SMTP connector in place with the default reccommended settings My default settings for the SMTP virtual server include the following Authentication = Anonymous, Basic, Integrated Windows Authentication Relay = Only the list below (with a blank panel), Allow all computers which successfully authenticate... I have the ...

Automatically connect on Send/Receive (ADSL)
Hi, I use ADSL for Internet connection but I don't want to be online all the time. I'd like Outlook to automatically connect and disconnect on Tools-Send/Receive-... I had it working on my previous computer with Outlook 2002 (I'm sure). What to do in Outlook 2003 ... ? -- Mvg, Frans Same problem "F H V Z" .. I just posted my question and realize you are asking the same question. Look forward to replies for your sake and for mine. -- Susan P Heder "F.H. van Zelm" wrote: > Hi, > > I use ADSL for Internet connection but I don't want to...

Problem
Ever since I added a Microsoft Exchange Server Account and all it6s associated folders and its in-box to my pre-existing Personal Outlook 2003 POP3 folders, I have had nothing but confusion. The Exchange Server account from my workplace downloads its messages into the in-Box for my private ISP POP3 account and vice versa. When I try to configure a rule for my personal POP3 account so that any messages addressed to my workplace account are loaded into the exchange server in-box on my client PC, the software tells me I have to go on-line to Exchange Server - even to create rules for th...

POP3 Ques. Outlk 03. Exchange server. want to rec'v POP3 but not
My desktop runs XP with Outlook 2003. Attached to office network. Network has an Exchange server. I have three email accts set up: Exchange - my office email; a POP3 acct which is my personal acct; and an IMAP acct using gmail. I have no problem with the Exchange acct or with the IMAP acct. I receive email via the POP3 acct. My Outlook is always trying to send on the POP3 but is unable to do that. I don't care. I want to turn off sending on the POP3 but receive the POP3 email. I think the constant effort to send on the POP3 acct is slowing my Outlook performance. An...

Webhosted POP3 without a Exchange POP3
Hello, My current environment includes a windows SBS 2003 domain with exchange 2003. Our e-mail currently is being webhosted and most of our users have Exchange POP3 mailboxes setup. This is working just fine for getting mail from the Internet. The problem that I am having is that I have a user who has a webhosted POP3 account but is not setup with a Exchange POP3 mailbox and since the user is not setup with the mailbox I can not send her e-mail and I get an error about an e-mail that does not exist at the organization. This makes sense because no Exchange mailbox was setup. I can not se...

POP3 still not working
On July 17, Outlook and Outlook Express lost the ability to download email messages. Repeated calls to support have yielded nothing but "we are working on it". For 6 weeks????? This is an email program!!! Mysteriously, I have seen little press about this outage, perhaps the largest in a software product's history. I understand OE is free, but Outlook is not. I have paid a lot of money for a product that is crippled, and am not convinced anything is being done to fix it. Way to go, Microsoft. Interesting - my Outlook has never stopped working. Way to go Microsoft. --�...

Outlook 2000 connection
Today, I tried to open MSO so that I can sync my organizer and MSO calender. I get a message that "Network problems is preventing connection to server, please see mircrosoft administrator" I went into my "Dial-up networking and the normal "Networking" tab off of my control panel to check my settings. The server name is correct and the mailbox name is correct , but I still cannot seem to connect on the MS server to check my mail and calender. Can anyone help me to properly set this type of connection? Thanks In Advance ...

Exchange POP3 doesn't retrive any messages?
Hi there, I have installed an Exchange Server 2003 at a Windows 2003 server. I am able to send messages from the exchange server this means that SMTP must be configured correct. In the mean time I want to use POP3 as well. 1) I changed the POP3 Service to start Automaticly 2) Started the POP3 Virtual Server under "Protol" in the System Manager I am able to logon to the POP3 (and IMAP) server both with an Outlook Express client and with a telnet session, but I do not retrieve any mails. I tried to send an email both to myself and to another account / mailbox at the same server, bot...

Meeting updates not being recieved through POP3
Our organization has pretty much everyone using Outlook in "Exchange Mode". I have one user that does not like exchange mode and uses POP3. From time to time he will get meeting updates that do not get pulled down by POP3 when checking his email. When he looks at webmail it shows the message is still sitting on the server but when he tries to open it he gets an HTTP 500 error. I tried looking at the HTTP error log but it doesn't seem to be turned on and I can't figure out how to turn it on. This only occurs when the user is recieving updated meeting requests. Th...

outlook does not connect to mail server upon application start
I have the box checked to automatically send and receive when outlook is started. Every time I start outlook, it does not send or recieve. I have to initiate the send/receive manually. Bummer - care to share your Outlook version and what you have set under send/receive settings? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, beth asked: | I have the box checked...

Detecting connected modems
Hi, How do I detect what modems are connected to the system? I believe there should be some TAPI APIs available, but am not sure. I also need the properties of the modem, like name, type, etc. TIA, SD What you need to do is call lineInitialize or lineInitializeEx, this call returns the number of devices avaliable to you. The device ids are 0 based to the number it returned - 1. then you can call lineGetDevCaps to get information about the line take a look at this for some help http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcecomm5/html/wce50conresourceinventoryand...

Cannot start pop3 and Imap4 service
I just install a new exchange server in a new domain. and i can't start POP3 and IMAP4 service I have somme errors in the event viewer. a first message : Source : POP3SVC EventID: 1040 Description : An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: the call to DwInitializeInstances() failed with error 0x64a. the second one : Source : POP3SVC EventID: 1040 Description :An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: the call to IIS_SERVICE::StartServiceOperation() failed with error 0x64a. it seem to have some pb with the IIS configuration. ...

My POP3 users are VERY slow
hi i hav exch2003 and xp pro clients. Some of my users connect from remote offices to my exchange via a POP3 account via the Internet(broad band connection) to my exchange. The connection to my exchange when they try to send and receive is VERY slow.Their internet connection seems fine after i thought it is the internet connection that is the problem. My question: is there a setting in exchnge 2003 where the amount of POP3 users connecting to the exchange is limited OR the speed of them.... This is quite frustrating as the users keeps on phoning and then i must delete the bigger messa...

Pop3 Connector and Aliases
We have SBS 2003 and are using the pop3 connector to download messages into the exchange mailboxes. We have pop accounts set up for each user on the server that hosts our website. The pop3 connector downloads them and puts them in the same users exchange mailbox, (ie UserA pop goes into UserA exchange, etc.). There are different aliases/forwarders that we use that get forwareded to a specific user. How it's currently set up I need to create the forwarder on the web server as well as in exchange, so that it works for e-mail sent outside and inside our domain. Is there a better wa...

Outlook Connector for Lotus Domino
Anyone have any experience using the Outlook Connector with a Domino server where the client just hangs for 5+ mins while the email and calendar is syncronized? (freezing the whole machine) The LN server sys admin tells me Outlook is opening around 70 connections with the server (which explains the hangind). Are there any know workarounds for this? Or configuration settings? I actived the Logging feature in OL 2003, but haven't been able to decipher anything there that points me to an obvious problem. I have installed: XP Pro v2002 with SP2 MS-Office Pro/Outlook 2003 (11.6...

trouble connecting to server
I hope someone can help me. I use Outlook 2000 as my e-mail program. After my computer "wakes up" from standby mode, I can't send or retrieve e-mail. When I try, I get an error message that Outlook was unable to connect to the server. I don't have this problem with other programs--for example, Internet Explorer has no trouble connecting after the computer wakes up. I'm confused! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. You can e-mail me at dtg11@cableone.net. Thanks. ...

Use POP3
Hi I want check my emails (hotmail) in outlook with POP3 protocol but i don't know pop3 addresses for incoming and out going servers for my hotmail account. does any body can ,please help me Best Wishes You can't. Hotmail is an HTTP service. You can use a third party tool like Hotmail Popper to emulate it. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for cleaning up your mailbox Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! ww...

Imap connection
I cannot seem to sent emails from outlook - Imap error says it [Window Title] Windows Mail [Main Instruction] The host 'imap' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. [Content] Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system. [Expanded Information] Configuration: Account: imap Server: imap User name: temadaisy Protocol: IMAP Port: 143 Secure(SSL): 0 Code: 800ccc0d [V] See details [OK] [Foo...

add-ins can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator
Help! I have been using the office live connector add-in for MS Office. However, Excel recently has the add-in disconnected (Word is still connected). I rebooted, reinstalled the Add-in. Nothing. I went to manage COM add-ins and tried to click the box to enable, and recieved the following error, "This add-in is installed for all users on this computor, and can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator." I am an administrator. I do not know why I cannot connect or disconnect, or why all of a sudden it is disconnected in Excel. Any help? Thank you! ...

Outlook 2002 freezing during POP3 download
Hi, I have a client site using outlook 2002, its been fine up until the last week, basically every day a few of the users will report problems with downloading email They retrieve email via an external POP3 server. When I check via webmail on the effected accounts I always find the same email causing the blockage, this email appears to have some form of embedded picture, and is to do with ROLEX WATCHES!". If I delete this particular email via the Webmail interface, the user is able to download the rest of the email with no problem. Obviously this is now becoming a pain for both ...

Exchange 2003 Connection Filtering
I have started to use connection filtering for Exchange 2003 to filter using RBL's. Does Exchange 2003 keep a log file, or is there a way to filter any specific log files to find out which connections are dropped? Thanks in advance. ...

outlook 2003 connection to lotus notes
In our office we are running Lotus notes, recently I decided use the outlook. Therefore, I downloaded the outlook 2003 connect. It seems like there is problem and I can not see all my folders in the INBOX. this problem was not present on outlook 2002. I wonder if anybody experinceing this and problem and have any solution? ...