Phone number format in Outlook contacts

After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed format.
It used to be 123-345-5678
now it is        (123) 345-5678
How can I change it back?
Dermot

0
dermot1 (45)

You can't. Masking of phone numbers is hard coded.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"singapore tom" <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in message
> After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed format.
> It used to be 123-345-5678
> now it is        (123) 345-5678
> How can I change it back?
> Dermot

0
russval (3097)

> You can't. Masking of phone numbers is hard coded.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "singapore tom" <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in message
>> After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed
>> format. It used to be 123-345-5678
>> now it is        (123) 345-5678
>> How can I change it back?
>> Dermot

Out of interest, is that something new since OL2000?

I store all my number is standard format beginning with the country
code (+XXX - YYY YYY YYY) where XXX is the country code such as +44
for the UK.

If I upgrade is OL going to try and convert them all to some
provincial format?

Thanks,

Alan.

0
alan4377 (173)
11/12/2004 4:26:57 AM
It's not new. In some versions you could circumvent the masking by
configuring a null dialing location, but current OS don't let you do that.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Alan" <alan@alan.alan> wrote in message
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>> You can't. Masking of phone numbers is hard coded.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "singapore tom" <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in message
>>> After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed
>>> format. It used to be 123-345-5678
>>> now it is        (123) 345-5678
>>> How can I change it back?
>>> Dermot
>>

> Out of interest, is that something new since OL2000?
>
> I store all my number is standard format beginning with the country
> code (+XXX - YYY YYY YYY) where XXX is the country code such as +44
> for the UK.
>
> If I upgrade is OL going to try and convert them all to some
> provincial format?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

0
russval (3097)
11/12/2004 9:50:07 AM
While I wouldn't call the format "provincial", Outlook will try and format
phone numbers to the form

	+CC (AAA) NNN-NNNN

Where CC is the country code, AAA is the area code (not necessarily three
digits) and NNN-NNNN is the rest.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:26:57 +1300, Alan wrote:

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>> You can't. Masking of phone numbers is hard coded.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "singapore tom" <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in message
>>> After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed
>>> format. It used to be 123-345-5678
>>> now it is        (123) 345-5678
>>> How can I change it back?
>>> Dermot
>>

> Out of interest, is that something new since OL2000?
>
> I store all my number is standard format beginning with the country
> code (+XXX - YYY YYY YYY) where XXX is the country code such as +44
> for the UK.
>
> If I upgrade is OL going to try and convert them all to some
> provincial format?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
0
stephenson (1245)
11/12/2004 7:52:22 PM

[snippage restored]
 <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in microsoft.public.outlook:

>After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed format.
>It used to be 123-345-5678
>now it is        (123) 345-5678
>How can I change it back?
>
>>You can't. Masking of phone numbers is hard coded.

That's not my experience. I can format telephone numbers in Outlook's
Contacts any way I like.

--
Michael Bednarek   http://mbednarek.com/   "POST NO BILLS"
0
"Michael Bednarek" <mb(SPAMSTOPPER)@mbednarek.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:58:40 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@mvps.org> wrote in microsoft.public.outlook:
>>
> [snippage restored]
>>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:22:54 -0500, "singapore tom"
> <dermot@grove-white.com> wrote in microsoft.public.outlook:
>>
>>After re-instlling Outlook my phone numbers in my contacts changed format.
>>It used to be 123-345-5678
>>now it is        (123) 345-5678
>>How can I change it back?
>>
>>>You can't. Masking of phone numbers is hard coded.
>
> That's not my experience. I can format telephone numbers in Outlook's
> Contacts any way I like.
>
> --
> Michael Bednarek   http://mbednarek.com/   "POST NO BILLS"

0
russval (3097)
11/13/2004 12:37:00 AM
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:37:00 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@mvps.org> wrote in microsoft.public.outlook:

>Good for you!
>Provide the instructions and the evidence that you are different from the
>rest of us.

My testing was somewhat incomplete: I can enter numbers which don't
conform to my country's standard to any format I like, but standard
numbers will indeed be formatted by Outlook.

E.g.: for Australia where we have standard 8-digit numbers, if I enter a
7-digit number (or anything less or more than 8), I can format it with
spaces or dashes or whatever, but 8-digit numbers will be formatted "(a)
nnnn-nnnn" most of the time.

However, if I enter the number as "nn nn nn nn", not a particularly
useful format, it will stay that way. Same for "nnn nnn nn" or
"nnn-nn-nnn": they will stay. In short, only if I enter "nnnnnnnn" or
"nnnnXnnnn" (where X can be space or full stop) it will be reformatted
as "(a) nnnn-nnnn"; other characters for X result in rather bizarre
formatting.

But, as the article at <http://www.slipstick.com/config/olphone.htm>
points out, preceding the number with a comma (or a single or a double
quote) will protect your formatting.

It seems I spoke too soon and we have yet another case of "Microsoft
software overriding what the user enters - *we* know best". They call it
Intellisense - I call it unwanted intrusion.

I apologize for my sloppy testing.

--
Michael Bednarek   http://mbednarek.com/   "POST NO BILLS"

--
Michael Bednarek   http://mbednarek.com/   "POST NO BILLS"
0
Michael
11/13/2004 12:19:36 PM
No apology necessary. I was just hoping someone had figured out a workaround
for this since it's such a frequent request.
--

> No apology necessary. I was just hoping someone had figured out a
> workaround for this since it's such a frequent request.
> --

Hi Russ,

I always enter all phone numbers in standard format (+CCC - AAA - NNN
NNNN) where CCC is the country code, AAA is the area code, and NNN is
the local number (number of digits in each section may vary, but the
dashes signify the boundaries).

This always seems to stick without OL (97 and 2000 at least) giving an
opinion and making any changes.

In terms of dialling (if you use an autodialler or something), the
phone systems in the UK and NZ at least will accept a full number
format even if you are actually just calling next door - it does not
seem unreasonable to guess that the systems in most (developed)
countries would be able to handle this too?

In other words, I could be sitting in Auckland, dialling a friend next
door, and my PC will dial (+64 - 9 - 123 4567) where the + would be
dependent upon your choice of phone system and telecom provider (e.g.
1 for an outside line, 0 to get outside the local area, and another 0
to get outside the national network) and it would work fine, even
though a human would just dial (1 - 123 - 4567).

No guarantees elsewhere, but it works for me in those two countries at
least and if you don't use autodialling, the format should work
everywhere I would imagine.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to circumvent OL's
attempts to use the provincial format.

Hope that helps,

Alan.

0
alan4377 (173)
11/14/2004 9:49:46 PM
As far as dialing is concerned there is no need to circumvent Outlook's
masking. Outlook uses standard format. The people who request changing this
masking are users who think Outlook should also be able to conform to
whatever format their portable phone wants them to use. I'm not sure how
realistic that request is. I only know it is a frequent one.
--
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>> No apology necessary. I was just hoping someone had figured out a
>> workaround for this since it's such a frequent request.
>> --
>>

> Hi Russ,
>
> I always enter all phone numbers in standard format (+CCC - AAA - NNN
> NNNN) where CCC is the country code, AAA is the area code, and NNN is
> the local number (number of digits in each section may vary, but the
> dashes signify the boundaries).
>
> This always seems to stick without OL (97 and 2000 at least) giving an
> opinion and making any changes.
>
> In terms of dialling (if you use an autodialler or something), the
> phone systems in the UK and NZ at least will accept a full number
> format even if you are actually just calling next door - it does not
> seem unreasonable to guess that the systems in most (developed)
> countries would be able to handle this too?
>
> In other words, I could be sitting in Auckland, dialling a friend next
> door, and my PC will dial (+64 - 9 - 123 4567) where the + would be
> dependent upon your choice of phone system and telecom provider (e.g.
> 1 for an outside line, 0 to get outside the local area, and another 0
> to get outside the national network) and it would work fine, even
> though a human would just dial (1 - 123 - 4567).
>
> No guarantees elsewhere, but it works for me in those two countries at
> least and if you don't use autodialling, the format should work
> everywhere I would imagine.
>
> I guess it all comes down to how much you want to circumvent OL's
> attempts to use the provincial format.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Alan.

0
russval (3097)

Outlook 2003 cannot open
I get an error "unable to open your default email folder. The information store could not be opened." I have downloaded all the updates for Vista and Outlook 2003 and have tried setting up new profiles. No luck, please help. Mary Jo "TheJahns" <TheJahns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70616879-1157-4740-B40B-3BDBD7F8A671@microsoft.com... >I get an error "unable to open your default email folder. The information > store could not be opened." I have downloaded all the updates for Vista and > Outlook 2003 and have tr...

Excel Cell Formatting #3
How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? Hi you can't as such objects 'float' above the cells in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Tom Coffey" <Tom Coffey@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8E7356E1-4318-42F3-B9C6-3D7EDFBBEEA1@microsoft.com... > How do I centeer a picture in an Excel cell? ...

Outlook name order
This subject has been broached before, but I have not seen a useful answer. I am using the following: MS WinXP Pro SP2 Outlook 2003 SP2 build v11.0, build 6568 Microsoft Exchange Server The problem I am having is how to get all of my contacts to display correctly. I have gone to Tools>Options>Contacts>Contact Options and set the "Full Name" to Last First and set the "File As" to Last, First. Originally my system default was to First Last, so to correct this I changed the option and then exported all of my contacts to a CSV file. I then deleted all of my contacts ...

How do I STOP outlook from opening a New Explorer window on every
When I click on a Link to a Web Page it always opens a New Explorer Everytime. How do I Stop this ?? This is Very annoying & a Pain to keep closing them I agree with Ken. Is there a way to do right click on a link and select "Copy Shortcut" instead of clicking the link to open a new window? Thanks, Ruf Ken in AB <Ken in AB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I click on a Link to a Web Page it always opens a New Explorer > Everytime. How do I Stop this ?? > > This is Very annoying & a Pain to keep closing them In IE, click Tools>Internet Optio...

formatting text as active hyperlinks
I have tried to format cells containing valid urls as hyperlinks. I can copy the format from a valid and active hyperlink; but when I paste it in the cell (I have tried pasting format), the contents look like a hyperlink, but the mouse cursor does not change when I hover over it, and I can't open the web site by clicking on it? Any ideas? -- dpimental ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dpimental's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14848 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26...

trying to add numbers in a column
I'm trying to add the numbers in a column. The numbers are in h:mm:ss format. When I use the function =SUM(I2:I154) It returns a 0. Any help would be great! thanks! Sari wrote: > I'm trying to add the numbers in a column. The numbers are in h:mm:ss > format. When I use the function =SUM(I2:I154) It returns a 0. Any > help would be great! thanks! Works for me....what version of Excel? The cell in which you have the =SUM(I2:I154) formula should have the format [h]:mm:ss - it will then show the elapsed time as the result. Or if you change the format of this one ce...

page numbers
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am working on my dissertation. I need to use Roman numerals in the footer for the preliminary pages and then Arabic numbers in the header for the body of the paper. I have created a section break between the sections and have been able to use the correct numbers in each section; however, I can not put the first section in the footer and the second section in the header. They both go into either the header or footer. Any suggestions? <br> Thank you. Hi, place our cursor in the section in which you need ...

How to Reveal Hidden Formatting Codes?
I want to copy and paste something I've written in Word. When I do this on facebook, there is always a TON of hidden formatting codes that appear at the beginning of the stuff when it is pasted in facebook. Is there ANY WAY to reveal this stuff in Word BEFORE I cut and paste so what I cut and paste does not take up space when character count is at a premium? Sounds like you are pasting a format that cannot be dealt with. Have you considered writing your posts in plain text format (for example in NotePad) instead? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Candy&...

Fix phone follow up of a phone call
A normal way of using phonecall activities according to my own experience is to create lots of them with a quick campaign. However, when a customer/lead is called they might often ask you to call back in a couple of months. This is where the "follow up" button is great. Just create a new phone call that is due a lot later and save it. One would think that since it is based on a old phone call, it will get the sender, reciever and phone number information automatically. It doesn't. Instead you get a phone call activity with no sender, reciever and an empty phone number fie...

Outlook 2003 and Word 2000 as email editor
I have upgraded from outlook 2000 to outlook 2003. the rest of office is office 2000. Now, I cannot use Word 2000 as my e-mail editor. The only checkboxes are for Word 2003 and they are greyed out. Are we not able to use a previous version of Word with Outlook 2003? Thanks Unfortunately, no. Wrod and Outlook versions must be the same. -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Craig Ramsey" <Craig.ramsey@bti.com> wrote in message news:02a001c3...

CONVERT NUMBER TO TEXT E.G 1000 TO "ONE THOUSAND"
I WANT TO CONVERT CURRENCY NUMBER IN REASABLE NUMBER TEXT CONVERSION E.G 1,000 TO "ONE THOUSAND" 2,950 TO "TWO THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED FIFTY" You could use a vlookup, on 1 excel sheet in column A put all th numbers you need to convert ie 100, 200, 300 etc , in column B put i what you would like to convert these into ie, Column A 100, Column One Hundred Then on another sheet say in column B Click on the function bar doubl click vlookup , for lookup_value click on the cell where you will ente data, for table_array highlight the two columns you typed in on th other sheet ...

Outlook 2003 secuirty
When I click on a web link in an email message, instead of IE opening I get the message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". This problem seems to have appeared from nowhere as the links worked perfectly well in the past. Any ideas? Steve wrote: > When I click on a web link in an email message, instead of IE opening I get > the message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect > on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". ...

Excel column format problem, please help
I use a billing number in column "A" that always starts with 22-number. I get tired of repeating the 22- before every number. I wan to be able to type in the last four numbers and have the 22- pop i thier automatically, is that possible and if so, can some one tell m how to do it? Thank you in advance, Randy:confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Format Cells, Number tab, Custom from the list, type 22-# in the box HTH, Greg "RandyM >" <<RandyM.178fb4@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:RandyM.178fb4@excelforum-nospam.com... &g...

Outlook Not Downloading
Product: Outlook 2003 OS: Windows XP Pro When at office and "plugged" into network, Outlook works fine... at home I start my VPN and than start Outlook. Outlook cannot download new messages. I can ping the exchance Server and do a trace Route without any problems to server. Just cannot download mails through VPN. This was working prior to Service Pack 2 (WinXP). However I un-installed SP2 and still have problem??? ...

Page Numbering
Is there any way of showing page x of y pages in the footer? "Rick S" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:005701c3aacc$1e1ccc80$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way of showing page x of y pages in the > footer? Yes. View > Header and Footer > Custom Footer You type in the words "page" and "of" along with the spaces, and at the appropriate points click the button with a # symbol to insert x (the page number) and the button with two offset + symbols to insert y (the number of pages), like this: page space # button space...

How Do I Embed Email Signature On Cell Phone??
When using my email signature (a .jpeg image) on a cell phone it 'drops out' and is received as an 'attachment'? Is there any way to embed the image so it remains within the body of the email? My signature is then no longer part of my email, folks think I'm sending them an attachment and some cannot even open it to see what it is? Any idea on how to embed a signature 'image' so it doesn't became an attachment? Thanks. That is entirely up to the mail application on the mobile device. Apparently it does not embedded images in a message body. -- ...

Outlook Express Freeze Up
Please advise ................. I receive the following Doc Watson message and my OE freezes when I click on an Internet Address contained in an email: EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:04a306c1. Registers: EAX=04a306c1 CS=019f EIP=04a306c1 EFLGS=00010202 EBX=0231f854 SS=01a7 ESP=022e0028 EBP=022e02d8 ECX=00000000 DS=01a7 ESI=819780e4 FS=588f EDX=c00309c8 ES=01a7 EDI=81a1a850 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: Stack dump: bff9dbc8 022e02e8 022e03b0 81a1a80c 0231f854 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 000...

Outlook
I have installed Office XP, after deleting Office 2000. Now, when I want to sent an e-mail, and I'm looking in my e-mail adresses, I get the following warning: Can't reach the LDAP adresserver. But LDAP is for companies, not for natural persons. Who can tell me how I solve this problem? Thanks. Xavier. Then you didn't remove Office 2000 completely. Remove the LDAP and add the Outlook Address Book instead: Go to Tools | E-mail accounts, select "View or change existing directories or address books", and click OK. Remove the LDAP. If you don't see the OAB in the...

Populate Phone Number in Phone Activity for an Opportunity
Is there any way to populate the primary phone number from an account->opportunity-> Phone Activity? Of course it works if you add a Phone activity from the account record. We tried adding the primary phone number to the opportunity and then mapping it back to the account (this worked), but when adding a new phone activity from the customized opportunity it would not populate the phone number field. Thanks in advance. unfortunately, no. You can't map values from the Parent entity to phone calls. In 4.0, however, you could accomplish this using a workflow rule. -- --MD &...

how can i get the date & time format 2010/02/17 12:05 in excel
I would like to share my knowledge by improving & clearing my doubts. Right click the cell>Format cells>Click Custom and enter the below format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm Now try entering a date in that cell. To enter todays date use the short key Ctrl + ; -- Jacob "NarenSelva" wrote: > I would like to share my knowledge by improving & clearing my doubts. Try =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(I3:I71,"mmyyyy")="032010")*(H3:H71)) -- Jacob "NarenSelva" wrote: > I would like to share my knowledge by improving & clearing...

Sorting On a custom date format
I have a spreadsheet that I copied from a webpage, that has a date field in a custom format, mmm-dd-yyyy (ie, "Jul-12-2003"). I created a custom format for the column that contains the custom date. When I sort on the column containing the custom date format, Excel does a straight alphabetic sort. Jul-12-2003 comes long after Aug-31-2003, and Dec-01-2002. How can I create a custom date format that I can use for sorting by date? Chuck Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing. Hi this works for me. You may try the following - select your data - goto '...

Outlook as Notes Client.
Hello All Outlook gurus, Can you please help me. I work for a company where they use Lotus Notes as the mail server and client. I am sick and tired of notes, very limited options/features, unfriendly crappy product. I am used to MS Outlook and I love it. Thinking about using Outlook on my desktop. Is this possible, can I use Outlook to access my emails (stop using notes client to access mails on my PC). Basically I want to replace notes on my PC to access my corporate notes email server. Any link to tips/tools would be greatly appreciated. thank you A good place to start would be http://www...

Mass Mailing in Outlook
Hello We seem to be having an issue with Outlook Mass Mailings. If I close out of CRM and clear out the cookies etc., then close and reopen Outlook, then I can use the Mail Merge functionality. If I have CRM open or work in CRM, I lose the mail merge. The same thing happens with the CRM Settings - I have to be aware that I lose the ability to access the template functionality if I have been in Outlook trying to use the mail merge. Does any one know how I can fix this? Ts is totally dependent on what you open 1st ... if you open the browser frst then open Outlook yo get browser fun...

Format Painter
Hi, I am using Word with Outlook 2003 but I would like to use Word's Format Painter with Outlook. Is this possible? I do not see it in Outlook and I've tried to customize Outlook's toolbar but do not see the Format Painter anywhere in Outlook. Tony Do you use Word 2003 SudharsonA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message413656.htm Yes, I think if I didn't I could then not use Word with Outlook...

Counting number of days within a range.
Hi, I need to count the number of occurrences of any dates that fall between a specific range of dates. For example: find all the dates in a particular range and count the occurences from date1 to date2. Please help . Thanks, Chandana ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelTip.com -- Hundreds of free MS Excel tips, tricks and solutions ------------------------------------------------ Chandana, With Column A containing the dates, Cell C2 contai...