Outobox in 2003 does not send

This seems to happen with Outlook 2003 and is quite bizarre--you wonder how
the developers could have missed this one! I posted this in a reply, but
it's pretty far down in the list by now, so I'll make a fresh post.

I've read of many people who have had this problem. I don't have much detail
from you, but it happens to myself and others when they merely open the
outbox folder.

Here's what happens. Let's say you just clicked "send", and into the outbox
it goes. When you open the outbox, your message is highlighted/selected. As
soon as that happens, the "send" icon changes to an "open envelope" icon
(I'm making my own name for these), the time sent changes to "none", and the
font changes from italics to normal font. Now your cooked. No way to send
this message. You can open it and click "send" until the end of time, and it
will just sit there.

Try this: make and send three new test messages. Now open the outbox. The
first one will change to "not ready"mode because it's selected. Now hit your
down arrow to select the messages below it and watch them change before your
very eyes! Cool, is it not, how much easier it is to render a message
un-sendable.

It USED to be the case in previous versions that you had to actually OPEN
the message in the outbox for it to change to normal font (which means it no
longer "ready to send"). Once you did this, all you had to do was to click
"send" again, and everything was okay and the message got sent.

NOW, however, and perhaps only God knows why, all you have to do is select
the message for Outlook to consider it "not ready". Not only that, but NOW
opening the message and clicking on send has no effect. What a wonderful
enhancement, and aren't you glad you paid for that upgrade!

If someone has a solution, please post it, since I haven't found any yet.

But for a WORKAROUND: just move the message to another folder, open it, and
then send it again. But don't open that outbox folder! You can also chose
the "send immediately when connected" option, and chances are it will send
before you have a chance to open the outbox folder. Of course, better not
have any second thoughts.

Jim




<greyeyes@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:735d01c47640$983919c0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> Replys or forwards get stuck in outbox.  It seems like I
> can only send new messages, and only if they aren't very
> large--like a couple of lines. I am using an IMAP server.
> Any helpful suggestions?




0
8/2/2004 7:38:29 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

5 Replies
282 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42

Please see my response to your other post about this.

-- 
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
     Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
     http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx


"Jim" <michael@siena.org> wrote in message
news:VKwPc.6388$cK.3666@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> This seems to happen with Outlook 2003 and is quite bizarre--you wonder
how
> the developers could have missed this one! I posted this in a reply, but
> it's pretty far down in the list by now, so I'll make a fresh post.
>
> I've read of many people who have had this problem. I don't have much
detail
> from you, but it happens to myself and others when they merely open the
> outbox folder.
>
> Here's what happens. Let's say you just clicked "send", and into the
outbox
> it goes. When you open the outbox, your message is highlighted/selected.
As
> soon as that happens, the "send" icon changes to an "open envelope" icon
> (I'm making my own name for these), the time sent changes to "none", and
the
> font changes from italics to normal font. Now your cooked. No way to send
> this message. You can open it and click "send" until the end of time, and
it
> will just sit there.
>
> Try this: make and send three new test messages. Now open the outbox. The
> first one will change to "not ready"mode because it's selected. Now hit
your
> down arrow to select the messages below it and watch them change before
your
> very eyes! Cool, is it not, how much easier it is to render a message
> un-sendable.
>
> It USED to be the case in previous versions that you had to actually OPEN
> the message in the outbox for it to change to normal font (which means it
no
> longer "ready to send"). Once you did this, all you had to do was to click
> "send" again, and everything was okay and the message got sent.
>
> NOW, however, and perhaps only God knows why, all you have to do is select
> the message for Outlook to consider it "not ready". Not only that, but NOW
> opening the message and clicking on send has no effect. What a wonderful
> enhancement, and aren't you glad you paid for that upgrade!
>
> If someone has a solution, please post it, since I haven't found any yet.
>
> But for a WORKAROUND: just move the message to another folder, open it,
and
> then send it again. But don't open that outbox folder! You can also chose
> the "send immediately when connected" option, and chances are it will send
> before you have a chance to open the outbox folder. Of course, better not
> have any second thoughts.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
>
> <greyeyes@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:735d01c47640$983919c0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> > Replys or forwards get stuck in outbox.  It seems like I
> > can only send new messages, and only if they aren't very
> > large--like a couple of lines. I am using an IMAP server.
> > Any helpful suggestions?
>
>
>
>


0
suemvp (4038)
8/2/2004 7:56:49 PM
The rest of the thread so far...

That's for confirming what I suspected. I think this is a problem that
appeared in Office 2003 beta, was fixed in RTM, and then somehow
reintroduced in SP1. I need to fire up a copy of Office 2003 RTM to test
that hunch.

-- 
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
     Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
     http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx


"Jim" <michael@siena.org> wrote in message
news:S7xPc.6870$9Y6.1316@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> It's build 11-6359-6360. I was hoping to find a better work around than
the
> one I mentioned.

>
> "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message
> news:eJokZeMeEHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > What's your Outlook 2003 build number, as shown in Help | ABout?
> >
> > The workaround, BTW, is to open the message you want to send, then
switch
> to
> > some other folder besides the Outbox before sending.
> >



0
8/2/2004 8:56:27 PM
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:56:27 GMT, "Jim" <michael@siena.org> wrote:

>The rest of the thread so far...
>
>That's for confirming what I suspected. I think this is a problem that
>appeared in Office 2003 beta, was fixed in RTM, and then somehow
>reintroduced in SP1. I need to fire up a copy of Office 2003 RTM to test
>that hunch.

The problem that you described, with OUTBOX messages not being sent.

I'm using OL2003, but not SP1.  Never had  this problem until about a
week ago.   I _suspect_ it is caused by Norton (2004) Anti SPAM.  Each
OL session, I try to disable and remove the NAS COM add-in, but it
always re-appears the next time I start OL.

Sometimes rebooting  my  system seems to fix the problem,  but I
really can't  isolate the cause of this problem.
0
8/6/2004 9:35:35 AM
Turns out that the problem I was seeing was not an Outlook 2003 SP1 issue,
but related to an Outlook add-in.

How are you disabling NAS?

-- 
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
     Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
     http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx


"I live on Outlook" <Private@privacy.org> wrote in message
news:b3k6h01sdipg1qdk91qjs0gijosgn3n411@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:56:27 GMT, "Jim" <michael@siena.org> wrote:
>
> >The rest of the thread so far...
> >
> >That's for confirming what I suspected. I think this is a problem that
> >appeared in Office 2003 beta, was fixed in RTM, and then somehow
> >reintroduced in SP1. I need to fire up a copy of Office 2003 RTM to test
> >that hunch.
>
> The problem that you described, with OUTBOX messages not being sent.
>
> I'm using OL2003, but not SP1.  Never had  this problem until about a
> week ago.   I _suspect_ it is caused by Norton (2004) Anti SPAM.  Each
> OL session, I try to disable and remove the NAS COM add-in, but it
> always re-appears the next time I start OL.
>
> Sometimes rebooting  my  system seems to fix the problem,  but I
> really can't  isolate the cause of this problem.


0
suemvp (4038)
8/6/2004 11:33:11 AM
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 07:33:11 -0400, "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]"
<suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote:

>Turns out that the problem I was seeing was not an Outlook 2003 SP1 issue,
>but related to an Outlook add-in.
>
>How are you disabling NAS?

I go to the Tools | Setup and select the Advanced Tab.  The I open the
COM manager and delete/disable Norton Anti-SPAM.  Problem is, every
time I restart Outlook, this silly add-in re-appears.  

I am afraid that I will need to uninstall Norton Internet Security and
then try to reinstall without the SPAM Manager.  I tried doing an
uninstall, but there is no option within the Norton Internet Security
installer to delete a selected component.  It's all or nothing.

In recent years, I've become more and more dissatisfied with Norton
products.  Used to be the gold standard of utilities, now quite
tarnished and debased.

0
8/7/2004 8:35:42 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Cannot send e-mail via web client
Hi all, We have a client that we have just taken on that is having an issue. We didn't install them and they are in a takeover, so details are sketchy. But we have done a once over on the system and all seems to be ok. The error being recieved is when sending an e-mail from the web client they recieve the ultra non-descriptive error "An error has occured, please contact your system administrator". There are no errors in the event logs on both the pc and the server, the e-mail is not sent nor inserted as an active or closed (history) activity. Anyone have any idea how to f...

SendObject: Send report at 08:00 in the morning automattically
Hi, I have a command button cmdEmailSchedule that runs a SendObject Macro that basically emails a report rptStats to a recipient. Is there a way that i can put a timer or something on that button or on that report or something so that 08:00 every morning the report emails automatically. I realise the database would need to be open for that to happen so that is not really an issue at this stage? thanks ant1983 On Feb 10, 1:37=A0am, ant1983 <ant1...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a command button cmdEmailSchedule that runs a SendObje...

Restore Outlook 2003
I had a problem with my HD which required reformatting the drive. Fortunately, I did have my outlook.pst file backed-up. I have now reinstalled Windows XP Pro and MS Office 2003. When I entered Outlook, I did not see my email messages or contacts. So, I copied my backed-up copy of outlook.pst to the outlook directory (beneath the My Documents directory) and clicked File/Open/Outlook Data File. Then they appeared in separate places on my screen. I have several questions at this point. 1. Have I proceeded correctly so far in trying to get back to my original state before the HD problem? 2....

Install OWA 2003
HI How to install OWA2003 in one another server, separate of the server of the EXC2003? Examplo, in server WEB. Tks You can't. OWA is now integrated into Exchange and cannot be separated like you could with Exchange 5.5 installing only OWA. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Alysson" <alyssondk@yahoo.com.br> wrote in message news:%23yzn1wyrFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > > > HI > > How to install OWA2003 in one another server, separate of the server of > the > EXC2003? > Examplo, in server WEB. > > > Tks > &g...

Exchange 2003 getting clogged?
Hello all, A client of mine wrote me the following IM's earlier regarding his boss's email account. It appears that there hasn't been any change in configurations on the server and that it was just noticed today/very recently. While I'm not an Exchange2003 expert, I have used it a little and never ran across any clients that have used it before until now. Does anyone have any suggestions at what route to take when reading this? I admit this discussion with me and the client seems to be broad, but I was trying to gather as much info as possible to troubleshoot: Clie...

2000 Server Connection to 2003 over VPN
Here is my issue: My company has a remote office in Montana. We have 2 Cisco 501 Pix connecting the sites via VPN. The 2003 Servers from WA can see the Montana office with no problem as can all the Workstations. The 2 windows 2000 SP4 Servers however can not see the 2003 server in Montana or vice versa. When pinging the servers from either side it does reolve to the correct IP however the ping drops. Every other IP connects fine. Something in the 2000 servers are blocking the connection over the VPN any ideas would be great... Thanks Jeremy SOme things to check: DNS zones on both ends, st...

Outlook 2003-Does Not Terminate
I was noticing that my computer would take an inordinately long time (like 10 minutes) to complete its shutdown from time to time. I've finally isolated the problem-- it only occurs when OUTLOOK.EXE is still shown as a running process in the Task Manager. (Note that the APPLICATION is not running, just the process, showing 16,788 KB.) I've tried using the END PROCESS command, but to no avail. (I get the warning message, and click YES, but nothing happens.) How can I find out what's causing this, and how do I stop it from happening? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme...

How to rebuild public folders in Exchange 2003
I have run into a problem with a migration from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. The public folders appear to be messed up. This stems back to a migration from 5.5 to 2000. At this point the public folders are empty. I would like to rebuild them, but am looking for the best approach to do this. I have seen article 822444, but it also references rebuilding the public folders. Any Advice? Thanks ...

Sort Inbox items by Unread in Outlook 2003 doesn't work
I customized my inbox view to sort items by unread. Unfortunately, the messages are not sorted have read and unread messages intermixed in my inbox (sorted by date). I wanted unread messages first then read messages afterwards. The primary sort would be unread ascending (descending didn't work either) and secondary sort would be by date. The group by is none since unread was not an option and automatically group according to this arrangement is turned off (tried with it on & didn't work either). The inbox shows that it is arranged by custom. Any suggestions on how to fix this...

new excel 2003
I work in a small office and wonder if we should buy the new Excel 2003 to upgrade from Excel 2000 that we are currently using. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what the upgrades are. I also want to find some support I can get to explain the differences. thnx Hg, It's probably not worth the price of the upgrade. There's really not much more that you can do with 2003 that you can't do in 2000. One of the Excel gurus who has written some excellent books on Excel (including 2003) has a review on his web site. Take a look here: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/xl2003.htm John ...

How to change where Outlook 2003 saves attachments
I have followed Microsoft's instructions on how to change where Outlook 2003 saves attachments. Those are found in Knowledge Base Article #823131 and involve changing the Registry. (There really should be an easier way.) Anyway, despite having followed those instructions explicitly, Outlook continues to save emailed attachments in a folder buried deep in the C: drive that doesn't even show itself when I navigate to it (and even when I set folder options to show hidden folders). Just to try everything, I did a completely clean reinstall of Outlook and then followed the Registry edit ...

Disabling auto - Your files are attached and ready to send
This seems to be an XP issue, but also pertains to how IE 6 prepares email links to be mailed from Outlook 2K. When selecting Send a Link from IE6, it auto-generates the following message in Outlook 2K in the message body area. I know it can be manually deleted but that is not a solution. "Your files are attached and ready to send with this message" Is there a registry fix for this? Must be, its a pain in the you know what. Thanks! -- marx404 No, it's hardcoded in the sendmail dll. I use select all (control a) and begin typing to remove it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outl...

Upgrade from SBS 2003 to Standard 2003
Hi Can anyone help me please? I have an sbs 2003 server and we want to change everything to the new sever we bought which is running standard 2003 r2. We only use our server as a file and print. So all we need to to be bale to transfer the users etc and have them logon with no issues ie changing profiles etc. Can this be done? Thanx PS, really dont want to get involved with transition packs etc. -- jonoharper ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jonoharper's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/171848.htm View this...

Convert to Outlook 2003
We are receiving new pc's which have Windows XP and Office 2003. Users vary on operating systems and Office Versions. What are the correct step to bring over there pst files? Or maybe we shouldn't. But I need to know what the steps are to install there Old Messages/Folders/Contacts/Tasks/Calendar Items etc. from old pc(various Outlook versions 2000 prior) to new pc which now have Outlook 2003. I have tried a couple of ways but I keep getting a duplicate personal folder which is also active. (Example if they get a new mail message it goes to both inboxes in both personal fol...

outlook 2003 new mail sound
why doesn't 2003 play a sound when new mail arrives? yes i have set it up in windows sounds and it still doesn't do it You mention that you have it set up in Windows....do you have it enabled in Outlook? Click Tools, Options, Preferences, Email Options, Advanced Email Options, and ensure it is checked under new mail options. >-----Original Message----- >why doesn't 2003 play a sound when new mail arrives? >yes i have set it up in windows sounds and it still doesn't do it > > >. > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > You mention that yo...

Exchange 2003 Standard
Hi all, Our Exchange 2003 Standard Edition server's Public Store has exceeded the 16GB limit and shut down. I'm familiar with the temporary extension to 17GB one can do for the Mailbox Store but haven't found a KB article regarding temporarily expanding the Public Folder store. Is this possible and if so how? Temporary solution found - the same registry entry mentioned in KB828070 except located in the public folder key does the 1GB increase. "MS Newsgroups" <msnews@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:erikqn9qEHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > ...

unable to paste Excel 2003 chart into Outlook 2003
I have a user who's unable to paste an Excel 2003 chart into Outlook 2003 email message. In Outlook options, the checkbox is selected for "Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages". When I tested this on my own computer running the same version of Office, if the box is check, I have no problem pasting; if this box is cleared, I cannot paste. But on his computer, it doesn't work regardless. Thanks and regards, TL ...

Contacts in Outlook 2003 (and other Office 2003 atrocities)
Every time Microsoft does a new improved version of Office it ruins what few features it had before that worked. Going to Office 2003 (from 2000)makes a real mess of almost all of Office (it ruined what formatting I had in WORD -- the numbering goes to some default that MS thinks I *should* want). It also makes it impossible for me to find people (not CONTACTS, these are FRIENDS) I had in my address book in Outlook. For example I used to be able to type in my friends' nicknames, but that doesn't work in 2003 (the nickname is there alright, but you can't retrieve them by typing t...

Error when sending pub 2003 document as an email
we have a document that we have been sending as an email in publisher 2003 for some time, by using the SEND AS EMAIL> SEND THIS PAGE AS A MESSAGE. This has worked fine for some time, but now something has happened to the document that when you click the send button in outlook you get a message that publisher has encountered an error and needs to close. Outlook then freezes and has to be cntrl-alt-del to kill it off. this happens with the same document on multiple computers, whereas the same computers can complete the task using a newly created document. Anyone seen this before? detai...

Outlook 2003 #240
Just installed Outlook 2003, running Outlook 2000 prior. Here is my problem; 1) I launch Outlook 2) Microsoft LDAP window comes up; Server name NULL, PORT 3268, USER NAME NULL 3) Close this window. Then I can press send/receive button, however, it cannot check for new email. In addition, if I create a new email from within Outlook, there is no "send-emal" button. HELP! Thanks. Steve <nospam@abc.net> wrote: > 1) I launch Outlook > 2) Microsoft LDAP window comes up; Server name NULL, PORT 3268, USER > NAME NULL > 3) Close this window. Tools>E-mail Accoun...

how to send a picture using microsoft picture manager?
How to E/Mail a picture using a microsoft Picture Manager? trile wrote: > How to E/Mail a picture using a microsoft Picture Manager? If you open Picture Manager, then go to View > Task Pane (if the task pane isn't already shown on the right side of the screen), then under the Share section is an option to "Email Pictures". Clicking on that link will take you through a small wizard of choices to send the photo. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Pub 2003 Question ( Problem )
I have documents I created a couple of years ago in Pub 2003 that contain a lot of pictures. When I open them up today, many of the pictures do not show on screen? No error messages ? What can I do ? Wayne wrote: > I have documents I created a couple of years ago in Pub 2003 that > contain a lot of pictures. When I open them up today, many of the > pictures do not show on screen? > > No error messages ? > > What can I do ? =========================== Have a look at the following site: (Read the third FAQ) Q: Why can I not see images/shapes/ lines when editing ...

Send As a Contact
I have a need to send email using an external email address. This is because I work in two places. In exchange 2000 I created a contact with the external email address and put this in the From: field. I have done the same thing in Exchange 2003 and it does not allow this with a permission denied. I would appreciate some help. thank you Mark ...

Exchange 2003 sending 3 copies of email
strange one, exchange 2003 sp1 - windows 2000 box. This happens with just one user and not all the time. She will send out one email and the receiver will get 3 copies. (internal and external receivers) checking the logs, exchange reports that the sender did send out three emails (different msg ID's). time stamps are the same pop access is turned on for this user so she can get email via her treo, but the msg are not sent out using this. thanks Lee It is for sure user related. Try out the following things configure hermailbox on another computer and see or Use OWA to send emai...

Save word 2003
I run windows XP with word 2003. I recently performed a system reset with some back up software. After which word 2003 wouldn't save any documents. There is 2G of memory left on the C drive so it's not lack of space. I've read other strings about this but can't find a solution, a previous string talked about removing "Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)" but I don't have this in my list of updates (this advice was from 2006 though?) Any help greatly appreciated. See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then repair Office 20...