Outlook Won't Stay Open #2

HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open. It
loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close" message. I
can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded. Any
clues.
(Windows XP SP3)

0
jangro (136)

Jan Groshan wrote:
> HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open. It
> loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close" message. I
> can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded. Any
> clues.
> (Windows XP SP3)

How do you back up your .pst file? One should copy it while Outlook is
CLOSED. Have you run scanpst.exe?

Alias
Why would you need for outlook to be open in order to backup your pst?
If you are thinking of export that is certainly not the way to backup a pst
The method of backing up / saving a data file has been posted here daily

Have you tried Office Diagnostics, from the Office cd, or even scanpst, the
repair tool on your pst?

"Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open. It
> loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close" message. I
> can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded. Any
> clues.
> (Windows XP SP3)

0
DL
3/10/2009 3:18:10 PM
I usually "export" my .pst file to my desktop, but I did in fact notice that
it was "last updated" today. What will scanpst.exe to? Will it find whatever
is keeping Outlook from staying open?

"Alias" <iamaliasNUKE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
> Jan Groshan wrote:
> > HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open. It
> > loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close" message.
> > can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded.
Any
> > clues.
> > (Windows XP SP3)
> >

> How do you back up your .pst file? One should copy it while Outlook is
> CLOSED. Have you run scanpst.exe?
>
> Alias

0
jangro (136)
3/10/2009 4:41:08 PM
Guess I don't read this group often enough to see alternative ways of
backing up/saving the .pst file, although I did export it to my desktop a
couple of weeks ago and just today say that it was "last updated" this
morning. No, I haven't had a chance to run Office Diagnostics from the cd
yet. That's my plan for later this evening. What will scanpst.exe do? Will
it find whatever the problem is that's making Outlook shut down?

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> Why would you need for outlook to be open in order to backup your pst?
> If you are thinking of export that is certainly not the way to backup a
pst
> The method of backing up / saving a data file has been posted here daily
>
> Have you tried Office Diagnostics, from the Office cd, or even scanpst,
the
> repair tool on your pst?
>
> "Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open. It
> > loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close" message.
> > can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded.
Any
> > clues.
> > (Windows XP SP3)

0
jangro (136)
3/10/2009 4:43:14 PM
Jan Groshan wrote:
> I usually "export" my .pst file to my desktop, but I did in fact notice that
> it was "last updated" today. What will scanpst.exe to? Will it find whatever
> is keeping Outlook from staying open?

It might. It repairs the .pst file if it has errors. If you've never run
it, most certainly it will find errors. Search for it and include hidden
files in your search and then you might want to put a shortcut on the
desktop for future use.

Instead of exporting, find your .pst file and merely copy it to external
media. When you want to restore, use File/Open instead of Import.

Alias

> "Alias" <iamaliasNUKE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Jan Groshan wrote:
>>> HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open. It
>>> loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close" message.
>>> can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded.
> Any
>>> clues.
>>> (Windows XP SP3)
>>>

>> How do you back up your .pst file? One should copy it while Outlook is
>> CLOSED. Have you run scanpst.exe?
>>
>> Alias

scanpst.exe is the inbox repair tool provided by MS which will check your
pst (data File) for err's

A backup/export to your desktop is no backup at all, you backup to external
media or a seperate HD
> Guess I don't read this group often enough to see alternative ways of
> backing up/saving the .pst file, although I did export it to my desktop a
> couple of weeks ago and just today say that it was "last updated" this
> morning. No, I haven't had a chance to run Office Diagnostics from the cd
> yet. That's my plan for later this evening. What will scanpst.exe do? Will
> it find whatever the problem is that's making Outlook shut down?
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> Why would you need for outlook to be open in order to backup your pst?
>> If you are thinking of export that is certainly not the way to backup a
> pst
>> The method of backing up / saving a data file has been posted here daily
>>
>> Have you tried Office Diagnostics, from the Office cd, or even scanpst,
> the
>> repair tool on your pst?
>>
>> "Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> > HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open.
>> > It
>> > loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close"
>> > message.
>> > can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded.
> Any
>> > clues.
>> > (Windows XP SP3)

0
DL
3/10/2009 6:33:24 PM
I do that as well......I have an external hard drive, and also subscribe to
Carbonite, so whatever is on my desktop gets backed up several places.

> scanpst.exe is the inbox repair tool provided by MS which will check your
> pst (data File) for err's
>
> A backup/export to your desktop is no backup at all, you backup to
external
> media or a seperate HD
> "Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > Guess I don't read this group often enough to see alternative ways of
> > backing up/saving the .pst file, although I did export it to my desktop
> > couple of weeks ago and just today say that it was "last updated" this
> > morning. No, I haven't had a chance to run Office Diagnostics from the
cd
> > yet. That's my plan for later this evening. What will scanpst.exe do?
Will
> > it find whatever the problem is that's making Outlook shut down?
> >

> > "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> >> Why would you need for outlook to be open in order to backup your pst?
> >> If you are thinking of export that is certainly not the way to backup a
> > pst
> >> The method of backing up / saving a data file has been posted here
daily

> >> Have you tried Office Diagnostics, from the Office cd, or even scanpst,
> > the
> >> repair tool on your pst?
> >>
> >> "Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > Any

0
jangro (136)
3/10/2009 7:08:36 PM
Will do it all this evening. Thanks. Hope it works.

> Jan Groshan wrote:
> > I usually "export" my .pst file to my desktop, but I did in fact notice
that
> > it was "last updated" today. What will scanpst.exe to? Will it find
whatever
> > is keeping Outlook from staying open?
>
> It might. It repairs the .pst file if it has errors. If you've never run
> it, most certainly it will find errors. Search for it and include hidden
> files in your search and then you might want to put a shortcut on the
> desktop for future use.
>
> Instead of exporting, find your .pst file and merely copy it to external
> media. When you want to restore, use File/Open instead of Import.
>
> Alias
> >

> > "Alias" <iamaliasNUKE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
It
> > Any
> >>>

> >> How do you back up your .pst file? One should copy it while Outlook is
> >> CLOSED. Have you run scanpst.exe?
> >>
> >> Alias

0
jangro (136)
3/10/2009 7:09:26 PM

>I usually "export" my .pst file to my desktop, but I did in fact notice that
> it was "last updated" today. What will scanpst.exe to? Will it find whatever
> is keeping Outlook from staying open?

If you're using a PST to begin with, why export when you already have a PST?
Just make a copy of it while Outlook is closed.  Exporting does not make a
one-for-one copy of an existing PST.  Distributions Lists often fail to export
properly and you lose the connections between, say, contacts and the calendar.
Other metadata gets lost as well.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
3/10/2009 7:59:12 PM
OK. Ran the scanpst.exe and it did find and repair some errors, but Outlook
still won't stay open. As soon as it loads, the "encountered an error and
must close" message appears. I guess my next step is to reinstall.....unless
someone has another suggestion.

"Alias" <iamaliasNUKE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
> Jan Groshan wrote:
>> HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open. It
>> loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close" message.
>> I can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded.
>> Any clues.
>> (Windows XP SP3)
>
> How do you back up your .pst file? One should copy it while Outlook is
> CLOSED. Have you run scanpst.exe?
>
> Alias

0
jan4966 (22)
3/10/2009 10:20:20 PM
Open outlook using the safe switch
Run
Outlook.exe /safe (note space between exe /)
Does it start/run ok?

PS An uninstall/reinstall wont do anything that diagnostics doesnt do

"Jan" <jan@greenwaldlaw.org> wrote in message
> OK. Ran the scanpst.exe and it did find and repair some errors, but
> Outlook still won't stay open. As soon as it loads, the "encountered an
> error and must close" message appears. I guess my next step is to
> reinstall.....unless someone has another suggestion.
>

> "Alias" <iamaliasNUKE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Jan Groshan wrote:
>>> HELP! Suddenly, out of nowhere, my Outlook (2007) will NOT stay open. It
>>> loads, and then I get the "encountered an error and must close" message.
>>> I can't even back up my .pst file because the program won't stay loaded.
>>> Any clues.
>>> (Windows XP SP3)
>>
>> How do you back up your .pst file? One should copy it while Outlook is
>> CLOSED. Have you run scanpst.exe?
>>
>> Alias

0
DL
3/10/2009 10:51:21 PM
Yes, that seemed to work. But what does it mean?

> Open outlook using the safe switch
> Run
> Outlook.exe /safe (note space between exe /)
> Does it start/run ok?
>
> PS An uninstall/reinstall wont do anything that diagnostics doesnt do
>
> "Jan" <jan@greenwaldlaw.org> wrote in message
>> OK. Ran the scanpst.exe and it did find and repair some errors, but
>> Outlook still won't stay open. As soon as it loads, the "encountered an
>> error and must close" message appears. I guess my next step is to
>> reinstall.....unless someone has another suggestion.
>>

>> "Alias" <iamaliasNUKE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> How do you back up your .pst file? One should copy it while Outlook is
>>> CLOSED. Have you run scanpst.exe?
>>>
>>> Alias

0
jan4966 (22)
3/10/2009 11:08:08 PM
It means broadly that one of your addins is causing OL to baulk
Review your addins, disable the none MS ones, then close & start outlook
normally, if its OK its a case of re-enabling add-ins one by one untill you
find the problem one.
Often any anti virus intergration is the first suspect, followed by sync
software

> Yes, that seemed to work. But what does it mean?
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> Open outlook using the safe switch
>> Run
>> Outlook.exe /safe (note space between exe /)
>> Does it start/run ok?
>>
>> PS An uninstall/reinstall wont do anything that diagnostics doesnt do
>>
>> "Jan" <jan@greenwaldlaw.org> wrote in message
>>> OK. Ran the scanpst.exe and it did find and repair some errors, but
>>> Outlook still won't stay open. As soon as it loads, the "encountered an
>>> error and must close" message appears. I guess my next step is to
>>> reinstall.....unless someone has another suggestion.
>>>

>>> "Alias" <iamaliasNUKE@THISgmail.com> wrote in message

0
DL
3/11/2009 2:04:39 AM
After running Outlook in safe mode, it opened fine the next time. I then
"copied" the .pst file and deleted the .pst file I had on my desktop. The
next time I opened Outlook it was looking for the .pst file that was on the
desktop and when it couldn't find it, it opened the other .pst file.  (It
gave me an option to find the "real".pst file.) Now that I directed Outlook
to the "real" .pst file, it seems to be working fine .... for the moment.
Perhaps a combination of scanpst.exe and running with the /safe switch did
the trick. The only add-in I have for Outlook is Xobni.

Well DL, you did such a great job helping me with this issue, maybe you can
answer another one (actually two) for me.....

On my office computer, which runs Xobni and ShareO as add-ins, Outlook
periodically decides it wants to stay on top, which means if I open an email
to read it, or want to compose a new email, or open another program, the
main "page" of Outlook has to be minimized to see the other screens. Also,
the second office computer tends to freeze priodically when the two
computers are "communicating" through ShareO. (ShareO can't give me an
answer either.) Second, one of the two office computers doesn't seem to be
able to run in the "search" in Outlook (which is why we installed the Xobni
add-on). If you have a clue as to why these two issues are happening, I'd
love to hear what you have to say. If you don't have a clue, I understand.
These aren't necessarily Outlook questions.

> It means broadly that one of your addins is causing OL to baulk
> Review your addins, disable the none MS ones, then close & start outlook
> normally, if its OK its a case of re-enabling add-ins one by one untill
> you find the problem one.
> Often any anti virus intergration is the first suspect, followed by sync
> software
>
> "Jan" <jan@greenwaldlaw.org> wrote in message
>> Yes, that seemed to work. But what does it mean?
>>

>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>>> Open outlook using the safe switch
>>> Run
>>> Outlook.exe /safe (note space between exe /)
>>> Does it start/run ok?
>>>
>>> PS An uninstall/reinstall wont do anything that diagnostics doesnt do
>>>
>>> "Jan" <jan@greenwaldlaw.org> wrote in message

0
jangro (136)
3/11/2009 4:56:10 AM
Dont really know about this, I have seen reports, here, of ShareO causing
problems

> After running Outlook in safe mode, it opened fine the next time. I then
> "copied" the .pst file and deleted the .pst file I had on my desktop. The
> next time I opened Outlook it was looking for the .pst file that was on
> the desktop and when it couldn't find it, it opened the other .pst file.
> (It gave me an option to find the "real".pst file.) Now that I directed
> Outlook to the "real" .pst file, it seems to be working fine .... for the
> moment. Perhaps a combination of scanpst.exe and running with the /safe
> switch did the trick. The only add-in I have for Outlook is Xobni.
>
> Well DL, you did such a great job helping me with this issue, maybe you
> can answer another one (actually two) for me.....
>
> On my office computer, which runs Xobni and ShareO as add-ins, Outlook
> periodically decides it wants to stay on top, which means if I open an
> email to read it, or want to compose a new email, or open another program,
> the main "page" of Outlook has to be minimized to see the other screens.
> Also, the second office computer tends to freeze priodically when the two
> computers are "communicating" through ShareO. (ShareO can't give me an
> answer either.) Second, one of the two office computers doesn't seem to be
> able to run in the "search" in Outlook (which is why we installed the
> Xobni add-on). If you have a clue as to why these two issues are
> happening, I'd love to hear what you have to say. If you don't have a
> clue, I understand. These aren't necessarily Outlook questions.
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>> It means broadly that one of your addins is causing OL to baulk
>> Review your addins, disable the none MS ones, then close & start outlook
>> normally, if its OK its a case of re-enabling add-ins one by one untill
>> you find the problem one.
>> Often any anti virus intergration is the first suspect, followed by sync
>> software
>>
>> "Jan" <jan@greenwaldlaw.org> wrote in message
>>> Yes, that seemed to work. But what does it mean?
>>>

>>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message

0
DL
3/11/2009 8:52:35 AM
It was working quite well until I recently installed the most current update
that was supposed to clear up all known issues! Figures.

> Dont really know about this, I have seen reports, here, of ShareO causing
> problems
>
> "Jan Groshan" <jangro@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> After running Outlook in safe mode, it opened fine the next time. I then
>> "copied" the .pst file and deleted the .pst file I had on my desktop. The
>> next time I opened Outlook it was looking for the .pst file that was on
>> the desktop and when it couldn't find it, it opened the other .pst file.
>> (It gave me an option to find the "real".pst file.) Now that I directed
>> Outlook to the "real" .pst file, it seems to be working fine .... for the
>> moment. Perhaps a combination of scanpst.exe and running with the /safe
>> switch did the trick. The only add-in I have for Outlook is Xobni.
>>
>> Well DL, you did such a great job helping me with this issue, maybe you
>> can answer another one (actually two) for me.....
>>
>> On my office computer, which runs Xobni and ShareO as add-ins, Outlook
>> periodically decides it wants to stay on top, which means if I open an
>> email to read it, or want to compose a new email, or open another
>> program, the main "page" of Outlook has to be minimized to see the other
>> screens. Also, the second office computer tends to freeze priodically
>> when the two computers are "communicating" through ShareO. (ShareO can't
>> give me an answer either.) Second, one of the two office computers
>> doesn't seem to be able to run in the "search" in Outlook (which is why
>> we installed the Xobni add-on). If you have a clue as to why these two
>> issues are happening, I'd love to hear what you have to say. If you don't
>> have a clue, I understand. These aren't necessarily Outlook questions.
>>

>> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>>> It means broadly that one of your addins is causing OL to baulk
>>> Review your addins, disable the none MS ones, then close & start outlook
>>> normally, if its OK its a case of re-enabling add-ins one by one untill
>>> you find the problem one.
>>> Often any anti virus intergration is the first suspect, followed by sync
>>> software
>>>
>>> "Jan" <jan@greenwaldlaw.org> wrote in message

0
jangro (136)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

How to become Administrator of a usergroup (Windows XP sp 2)
In my office we have 6 computers which are connected by a Hub. I have created a user group call "CECILIYAN". I have connected internet one port of that hub. So any one can access to Internet in that group. Now I want to make my PC as the Administrator of this user group. And I should be able to control other PCs by blocking USB Pen drives & Internet Access & other things. Please let me know how to do it. Is there any third party tool or registry editing or any way to control that things Thank you. On 7/17/2010 9:58 AM, Booli wrote: > In my office we have 6 co...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

not sure if I'm using the correct formula for the result I want #2
I'm trying to calculate a 'low net' score. A persons 'actual score' minus 'their handicap' = 'low net' score. I have this worksheet setup like this; A4:A23 = list of names Columns B-U have the weekly calculated low net scores B4:U23 = the calculated 'low net' scores using this formula =SUM(Scorecard!B4-Scorecard!Y4); (this is for player one) Scorecard!B4 is player one's first week 'actual score', Scorecard!Y4 is player one's calculated 'handicap'. In Row B25:U25 I have this formula {=MIN(IF(B$4:B$23>0,B$4:B$23))}, to p...

Updating a graph with 2 y axis
Hi, I have a Graph which on 1 axis which has 2 datalines shown as a line. and a 2nd axis which is a combined block. I am trying to add a 3rd item to the 1st axis but cannot get it to show as a line or on the same axis? Garfiled wrote: > Hi, I have a Graph which on 1 axis which has 2 datalines shown as a line. > and a 2nd axis which is a combined block. > I am trying to add a 3rd item to the 1st axis but cannot get it to show as a > line or on the same axis? > Right click on the graph line you want to change. and select "FormatDataSeries", then on the "Axis...

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

outlook to outlook express #4
Hi, I am hoping there is away to import all my Outlook Express settings inc address book, messages and files in all local folders to Outlook 2003. I am using Outlook Express 6 When I start to install Outlook 2003 it asks if I want to Configure an email account... I stopped there afraid I would lose all my settings from Express. Any and all help would be appreciated I think you say no to that dialog and then you will get prompted about importing from OE. (Even if you say yes, it won't go delete anything out of OE.) "Manny" <manny_is@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...

IE8 won't open
I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers. Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything. Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does, it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it. Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I must reset it usually each time. Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting suggestions. Jim wrote: > I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.=20 > Possible virus but McAfee does not show ...