Outlook sending errors.

I have recently got a program that helps my spam and junk=20
problem called Mail Washer (V4.1).

The program works great but I am having a problem with=20
Outlook 2002. When I try to send a message I receive a=20
error quoting:

Task 'mail.garethmyles.com - Sending and Receiving'=20
reported error (0x800CCC7D) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP)=20
server does not support SSL-secured connections. If SSL-
secured connections have worked in the past, contact your=20
server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). =20
The server responded: ?=1E?$for more information.'

And

Task 'mail.garethmyles.com - Sending' reported error=20
(0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a=20
response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue=20
to receive this message, contact your server=20
administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

A user told me to do the following:

If you don't use SSL uncheck the SSL option in your=20
Account configuration;=20
Tools-> E-mail Accounts...-> Next-> doubleclick your=20
mail.garetmyles.com=20
server-> button More Settings...-> tab Advanced

But now I have unchecked the tab but it is still not=20
sending the emails. I get an error as follows:

Task 'mail.garethmyles.com - Sending and Receiving'=20
reported error (0x800CCC6F) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-
mail server has reported an internal error. If you=20
continue to receive this message, contact your server=20
administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The=20
server responded: ????????????'

Hope someone can help.

myles <gareth@garethmyles.com> wrote:

> Task 'mail.garethmyles.com - Sending and Receiving'
> reported error (0x800CCC6F) : 'Your outgoing (SMTP) e-
> mail server has reported an internal error. If you
> continue to receive this message, contact your server
> administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The
> server responded: ????????????'

Try pretending to be an SMTP client, telnet to port 25 of your ISP's server
and see what you get:

C:\> telnet mail.garethmyles.com 25
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/26/2004 8:01:42 PM
Hi,

I had a bash at it.

The telnet thing says "220 nuin.pair.com ESMTP"

Does this mean anything to you?

Thanks.

Myles.

Yes.  It means that your mail server is really nuin.pair.com (as opposed to
mail.garethmyles.com, although mail.garethmyles.com is 216.92.81.125 while
nuin.pair.com is 209.68.1.45) and that it supports extended SMTP commands.
Now, do this again and continue the conversation:

C:\> telnet mail.garethmyles.com 25
HELO whatever-your-machine-name-is

if this works (i.e., you get a 250 reply back), keep going with this:

MAIL FROM:<gareth@garethmyles.com>

You should get another 250 response.  Then enter

RCPT TO:<gareth@garethmyles.com>

followed by another 250 response.  Then enter

DATA

You should get a 354 response.  If you do, enter whatever you want.  When
you want to end the message, enter a line containing a single period.  You
should get another 250 response.  Finally, enter

QUIT

and receive a 220 response.  If anything other than the responses I've
mentioned appear, write it down and post it, along with the command you
entered.  In fact, a complete transcript of the session would be useful.  Of
course, edit it to keep from giving away names and addresses.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
5/27/2004 7:13:38 PM
Hi,

I had a stab at your suggestion. Eveything seemed okay
aside from the last bit. I entered the single period and
it said 250 ok 1085855064 qp 57238. After I entered Quit
it displayed 502 unimplemented (#5.5.1).

Hope this means something to you.

Thanks.

Myles.

This last response explains the condition you described in your original
post.  To recap, you said:

>Task 'mail.garethmyles.com - Sending' reported error
>(0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a
>response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue
>to receive this message, contact your server
>administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

The QUIT command is a very basic SMTP handshake command and it's the only
way to terminate an SMTP connection.  If your SMTP server does not recognize
the command and doesn't return the "250" response, your mail client isn't
going to recognize that the SMTP session is over and release the connection.
Instead, it will hold the connection open waiting for the 250 response and
eventually time out.  It's proof-positive that your SMTP server is not
working.

One last question: did you enter "QUIT", "quit", or "Quit"?  Originally, the
SMTP commands were required to be in upper case.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
6/1/2004 4:22:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I think I must have entered Quit in lower case. When I
entered QUIT I got a :

221 nuin.pair.com

Does this help? Do I have to contact my host to get this
working or is it something at my end?

Thanks,

Myles.

221 is a "closing transmission channel" message.  This is valid.  In my
original post describing the session, I mistyped "221" and "220".  Now I'm
stumped.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
6/3/2004 3:39:16 PM
Hi,

  It has been resolved. I got a letter yesterday from my
ISP saying my outgoing mail server has changed. Why they
could not have emailed me the information, I do not know.
Or tell me this when I called them.

Thanks very much for all your help, sorry it turned out
to be a wild goose chase.

Hope my ISP's car doesn't start in the morning. That'll
teach him.

Cheers,

MYles.

0
anonymous (74719)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

excel format errors
whenever I put an integer value in a new worksheet, it takes my value and divides it by 10,000. For example, if I enter 34, it returns .00034. If I enter 34.0, it returns 34. All cells are formatted as General, with no indication of any special formatting applied to them. This has happened not only on my machine but also on several other machines around here. Tools > Options > Edit tab and uncheck the "Fixed Decimals" box. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >whenever I put an integer value in a new worksheet, it >takes my value and divides...

Query Builder Error: Unexpected Error
I am working with 1.2. I tried to print all cases for an account. When I leave the bullet on 'all pages', and then click the 'print' icon, I receive an error. ...

cannot send excel worksheet (sheet only) to mail recipient
When in Excel, I CAN send an excel spreadsheet as an attachment (file, send to, mail receipient as attachment). I can NOT send only a single sheet out of the worksheet to an email receipient (file, send to, mail recipient, send the current sheet as the message body). Error received says "Excel could not start the email program. Check your network connection. Make sure outlook is installed correctly, your email program is set up correctly, and you can connect to your email server." I am using MS Excel 2002 and MS Office 2003 in a Windows XP operating system. Hi Nancy See ...

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

SQL Server Error when going offline MS CRM 4.0
Hi We have quite a few problems with the MS CRM 4.0 Offline Client. When our customer tries to go offline he gets always an SQL Server Error. When we execute the diag tool it shows us that something is wrong with the sync. After executing the repair it works fine and we can go offline without any troubles. The strange thing is, that it does not work on the next day. Then we get the same error again. The only solution is to execute the repair.... We are working for quite a long time together with ms support, but unfortunately they couldn't help us so far. We also have installed several ...

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Payroll
Has anyone come across the following error message when attempting to import an excel file for payroll? "Base paycode can only consist of letters." ...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...