Outlook Newreading

Is there a way to start Outlook Express, which is Outlook's newsreader, by
itself without OE thinking it's being started as an email program?  To put
it another way, can OE be started without it asking me for email server
information or checking for new messages there?  All I want to do is use it
as my newsreader while using Outlook 2003 for email.  Thanks!

0
oertell (4)

William:

You should be able to start just the reader!  However.....

In OL 2002, you could just choose View - News from the menu bar.  I added a
shortcut button to one of my toolbars to do this.  When I upgraded to OL
2003, the button came along, but I deleted it by accident once, and now I
can't find news in any of the menus.

I did an OL help search and was answered with this:

The first time you use the newsreader, you must add the News command to the
Go menu.
  1.. Add the News command to the Go menu.
  How?

    1.. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options
that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on
the Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), click the Toolbar Options
arrow .
    2.. Point to Add or Remove Buttons, and then click Customize.
    3.. Click the Commands tab.
    4.. In the Categories list, click Go.
    5.. In the Commands list, click News, and drag it, without releasing the
mouse, until it rests over the Go menu. When the menu displays a list of
commands, point to where you want the command to appear, and then release
the mouse.
  2.. Click the Go menu, and then click News.
Just one problem: there is no News command in the GO list of menu buttons.

 Just wondering if you're experiencing the same behavior?

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond
"William Oertell" <oertell@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way to start Outlook Express, which is Outlook's newsreader, by
> itself without OE thinking it's being started as an email program?  To put
> it another way, can OE be started without it asking me for email server
> information or checking for new messages there?  All I want to do is use
it
> as my newsreader while using Outlook 2003 for email.  Thanks!

begin 666 bluedrop.gif
M1TE&.#EA#@`*`,03```=B0``_Z6E[KVZ\JFFXPPHC]#.]@<`W]_A\00`Z@8`
MXI65_]#0_QT5VR0=VXN+_YJ:_[>W_________P``````````````````````
M`````````````````````````"'Y! $``!,`+ `````.``H```4LX"2.9&F>
IJ%D`;,L6).) R\-(48.4QA'\@8/A-%#\%(.4()$0I$0$PG,Z"0$`.P``
`
end

begin 666 default.aspx?AssetID=ZA060539681033
M1TE&.#EA"P`6`)$``&9XI?___P```````"P`````"P`6```")H2/%LNLW1Y<
B<E9X(YAN\Y!U'^AQ(55:*>8)KHLRKRAKXTG>R5X``#L`````
`
end

Just create a shortcut to Outlook Express and put the /newsonly switch on
the end of the target file path.  For example, your shortcut's target path
might look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /newsonly

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:vtd1c4i7noevbb@news.supernews.com,
William Oertell wrote:

> Is there a way to start Outlook Express, which is Outlook's
> newsreader, by itself without OE thinking it's being started as an
> email program?  To put it another way, can OE be started without it
> asking me for email server information or checking for new messages
> there?  All I want to do is use it as my newsreader while using
> Outlook 2003 for email.  Thanks!

Try the following -- it seems to work for many:

To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel |
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express.  If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No
button.

You may need to reset the Menu Bar and/or restart Outlook and/or reboot your
machine in order to complete the process.  Not everyone is reporting success
with this method, but try it and see what happens.  If all else fails, you
can always create a desktop shortcut to Outlook Express and include the
/newsonly switch -- that gives you the same result as accessing the
newsreader via the News command in Outlook.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:usFEgssvDHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Dab wrote:

> William:
>
> You should be able to start just the reader!  However.....
>
> In OL 2002, you could just choose View - News from the menu bar.  I
> added a shortcut button to one of my toolbars to do this.  When I
> upgraded to OL 2003, the button came along, but I deleted it by
> accident once, and now I can't find news in any of the menus.
>
> I did an OL help search and was answered with this:
>
> The first time you use the newsreader, you must add the News command
> to the Go menu.
>   1.. Add the News command to the Go menu.
>   How?
>
>     1.. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and
> options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar,
> click Customize on the Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.),
> click the Toolbar Options arrow .
>     2.. Point to Add or Remove Buttons, and then click Customize.
>     3.. Click the Commands tab.
>     4.. In the Categories list, click Go.
>     5.. In the Commands list, click News, and drag it, without
> releasing the mouse, until it rests over the Go menu. When the menu
> displays a list of commands, point to where you want the command to
> appear, and then release the mouse.
>   2.. Click the Go menu, and then click News.
> Just one problem: there is no News command in the GO list of menu
> buttons.
>
>  Just wondering if you're experiencing the same behavior?
>

> Cut off: yourhead to respond
> "William Oertell" <oertell@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to start Outlook Express, which is Outlook's
>> newsreader, by itself without OE thinking it's being started as an
>> email program?  To put it another way, can OE be started without it
>> asking me for email server information or checking for new messages
>> there?  All I want to do is use it as my newsreader while using
>> Outlook 2003 for email.  Thanks!

Awesome!

That worked for me.  Thanks Jocelyn.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond
"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:%23p291btvDHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >     5.. In the Commands list, click News, and drag it, without
> > releasing the mouse, until it rests over the Go menu. When the menu
> > displays a list of commands, point to where you want the command to
> > appear, and then release the mouse.
> >   2.. Click the Go menu, and then click News.
> > Just one problem: there is no News command in the GO list of menu
> > buttons.
> >
> >  Just wondering if you're experiencing the same behavior?
> >

> > Cut off: yourhead to respond
> > "William Oertell" <oertell@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >> Is there a way to start Outlook Express, which is Outlook's
> >> newsreader, by itself without OE thinking it's being started as an
> >> email program?  To put it another way, can OE be started without it
> >> asking me for email server information or checking for new messages
> >> there?  All I want to do is use it as my newsreader while using

Thanks!  I've added that to my shortcut.  We'll see the next time I start
OE, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.  Just what I was looking for.  Thanks
again.

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]" <jfiorelloNOSPAM@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:OTk8kbtvDHA.2460@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Just create a shortcut to Outlook Express and put the /newsonly switch on
> the end of the target file path.  For example, your shortcut's target path
> might look like this:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /newsonly
>
> --
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please
> reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>

> In news:vtd1c4i7noevbb@news.supernews.com,
> William Oertell wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to start Outlook Express, which is Outlook's
> > newsreader, by itself without OE thinking it's being started as an
> > email program?  To put it another way, can OE be started without it
> > asking me for email server information or checking for new messages
> > there?  All I want to do is use it as my newsreader while using
> > Outlook 2003 for email.  Thanks!

0
oertell (4)

Outlook 2003 error message #9
I just loaded Office Outlook 2003. Operating system XP. When I open it an error message appears. C:\PROGRA~1\HOTBAR\bin\451~1.0\SBOLExt.dll COULD NOT BE INSTALLED OR LOADED I tried detect and repair and that did not help. PLEASE, I need help "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:9BAE4F59-FED8-499B-99DE-6A4A0536423F@microsoft.com... >I just loaded Office Outlook 2003. Operating system XP. When I open it = an=20 > error message appears. > C:\PROGRA~1\HOTBAR\bin\451~1.0\SBOLExt.dll COULD NOT BE INSTALLED OR = LOADED > I tried detect and re...

Outlook 2K auto complete
I have a client who's hard drive crashed. I replace the hard drive and reinstalled the OS and programs. I also restored the pst file from a current backup. They are using Office 2000. Client is complaining that there is no auto complete on email addresses in the address book. A quick Google search points to this not being a feature of Outlook 2K. Client swears that they had it last week with "old" computer. Is this a feature in Outlook2K? If not, how could she have had it? Thanks It's been many years since I stopped using OL2000. I think you're right, auto com...

Outlook 2010
I have been trying to stop the From field to show when I create a new email in Outlook 2010. When I go the options tab - I have only the BCC field button to enable/disable the BCC field. I created a custom group in the ribbon and added the 'from field' button. When creating a new email, the button is dispalyed but it is disabled! How do I get rid of the From field To what view are you referring? Why do you think you would accomplish anything by doing this? It will have no bearing on what the recipient sees. -- Russ Valentine "esieens" <esieens@disc...

Update Outlook 2003 client address book
All outlook clients are configure as cache mode. In exchange 2003, how to update the exchange address book to all outlook clients? Outlook 2003 cached mode uses the default offline address book. Exchange updates the offline address book once per day by default. Outlook 2003 will check for updated versions of the address book by default on some pre-configured basis automatically. As such, it is normal for the cached mode client to not receive the most updated list for a day or so, but it will update eventually. If you want to update it immediately, you need to go into Exchange, and...

Outlook 2003
Hi, Recently, I have discovered and made use of the ability to create custom templates for entries into public folders. At our organization, we use them solely as calendars to illustrate to staff that, for example, John has a meeting at 10:00a, Sally is out of the office, etc. However, I would like to have the data entered into my custom forms displayed on the calendar. For example, by default, when data is entered into the "Subject" of the public folder, the information is displayed on the calendar for viewing. However, none of my custom fields will show this data as the "...

language issues outlook calendar
Hello, I've run today into two quite interesting issues. Users of OL2K3 are having the wrong language version in their calendar folder. For one user an upgrade from French to Spanish has taken place and now she has a French PLUS a Spanish calendar. Also I have a user who has simply Dutch instead of French. Do you have any idea where I can change the language settings in Outlook clients? Thanks for your comments. Sandor Teglasy Start Outlook with /resetfoldernames. Then transfer the data to a singular folder and remove the other one. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-o...

Entourage and Outlook
Does anyone know of a way to transfer stored e-mails from Outlook to Mac Entourage or Mac Mail and back? ...

Setting custom properties to an outlook folder
Hi, I'm new to the Outlook 2007 object model. I want to create and set some custom properties to my outlook folders. eg I want to set a property like 'SOURCE URL', which is of string type, that will enable me to find out programmatically which folder belongs to which url. I think PropertyAccessor has something to do with it. But I don't know how to use it. In what format the property name should be given? It throws an exception that 'Unable to parse the property name'. Please post the relevant portion of the code you already have in the = microsoft.public.outlook....

Notify Message in Outlook
I attached a large attachment to a message and it sat in the outbox all I didn't know that the attachment was too large to send. I also didn't see it in my outbox--it sat there all day. I didn't find out about it until I was turning off my computer at the end of the day. I have many folders and can't check the outbox all the time. Is there a way to be notified if an email is sitting in the outbox? version of outlook? you can put the outbox folder on favorite folders in ol2003/2007. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need ...

How do I import messages from mbox file to Outlook?
I want to start using Outlook for mail from Agent and Agent says their export to to an mbox universal UNIX file format. How then to I import this format into Outlook? SPeon <SPeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to start using Outlook for mail from Agent and Agent says > their export to to an mbox universal UNIX file format. How then to I > import this format into Outlook? Many people find the conversion easiest to manage by first importing into Outlook Express (using the Netscape Communicator selection, since that also uses mbox format) and then exporting into...

Outlook email templates
I have several templates in Outlook 2003. Will they work in 2007 as is, or will some tweaking need to be done? Thanks! ...

Connection problem between publisher and outlook (2003)
I've created a newsletter in publisher. I've clicked on send e-mail, then send this page as message. I get a messgae saying 'Publisher could not start the email program. Check network connection, etc' Outlokk is my email program and is up and running, there are no internet problems and other programs work fiine. I've tried detect and repair and also reinstalled office. Any other suggestions? -- Thanks Just checking - which version of Publisher? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "exmt...

outlook log in problem
i have installed office pro 2003 and defaulted my mail to outlook from outlook express. all data for mail accounts has been transfered like for like but when trying to send/recieve mail a log on pop-up requesting verification of user name and password appears. it then rejects these as unrecognised. all mail that has passed through o/express is showing. i ahve double checked my settings also deleted the settings and reinstalled them and deleted all settings at o/express and reinstalled them to no avail. and if i go back to o/express everything works fine??? loofer wrote: > i have in...

Outlook 2000 Send Emails
I tried accessing some of the previous posts regarding this feature and I am not sure if this has been addressed. So here is my version of the problem: Win 2k, Outlook 2000. Sends and receives fine (had McAfee Virus scan and firewall installed). Since upgraded to Internet Suite 6, I cannot send any mails, Regardless of attachments but incoming mails are OK. Error 530:Authentication required, 0x800ccc78, Rejected by sender. I have tried uninstalling virus scan, disabling all components of the security suite, and I have also contacted my ISP provider (Comcast) who swears up and down that...

Outlook 2003 Public Folders Calendar Moderator
I have set up a "Firm Calendar" in public folders in order to keep personal calendar items of users and firm items (such as hearings and the like) separate. A user will go to their personal calendar and create a firm item then invite attendees. The attendee in these cases (firm items) will be the "firm calendar" which has been set up as a contact in their contact lists. I have also set up a moderator to manage this "firm calendar". When a user sends this invitation to the "firm calendar" contact it also sends the calendar item notification t...

Milo: Using Fp2003 to allow people to add an Outlook Calendar ite
Have looked around a lot on the net and can't find a clear answer to something I hope is simple. I'm the webmaster (FrontPage 2003) for a small non-profit. They asked if there were any way to put an "Add to my Outlook Calendar" link next to new events we post. I was able to create an .ics (iCalendar) file and add that to the site, but when I link to it, Firefox just opens it as text and IE just puts it in an obscure folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\iMacros\Downloads) so neither actually added it to Outlook. I'm not loyal to doing t...

Outlook wont roam with user profiles
For some reason outlook setting will not roam with user profiles. I am using Outlook 2002 with windows 2000 on all desktops in a 2K forest/domain. When I setup outlook on a users profile I expect that to roam with the user. He then should be able to go use another machine and not have to setup outlook on that machine. Is this possible if so can anyone help with some tips. Are the Outlook settings the only thing that doesn't roam with the user? Have you double-checked to ensure you've properly completed the steps here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;30796...

Opneing links within Outlook messages
I just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. I can not open active links within the body of any e-mail messages. Any suggestions? "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C90DEED-3B7C-4B3E-B92E-E9E5018131B7@microsoft.com... > I just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. I can not open active links > within > the body of any e-mail messages. Any suggestions? So what happens when you try? what happens when you try? If you get the restrictions in effect error message that tells you to talk to your administrator, this is a problem with ...

Outlook running very slow #2
Runnng Outlook 2000 and I have about 2,000 contacts. Outlook moves slow in my opinion and contacts do not open up immediately as they should. Are there any suggestions? Can I reindex data in any way or does anyone have an opinion on number of contacts. ...

Outlook Rules case sensitive
Hi Are Outlook 2007 Rules case sensitive? Can you help me to know all the Outlook 2007 Rule that are case sensitive? Thanks in advance.. Ashwin LK What are you trying to achieve? Are you looking for specific words in a message or subject? In that case, it is not case sensitive. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Ashwin" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote...

Outlook 2003 Synchronization Problems
Our company just upgraded our email server from exchange 2003 to the exchange 2007 a couple of weeks ago. Everything was Ok until yesterday. I am having a problem with only two computers using outlook 2003. The problem happens when we are inside our own LAN. There are two Synchronization errors I am getting and they are: First error: 9:18:41 Synchronizer Version 11.0.8000 9:18:41 Synchronizing Mailbox 'User Name' 9:18:41 Synchronizing Hierarchy 9:18:41 Done 9:18:41 Microsoft Exchange offline address book 9:18:41 0X8004010F Second Error: Task 'Microsoft E...

Outlook "hangs" for a couple of mins when sending
Hi We are running outlook 2000 and xp , on win 2000 pc's connected to a mdaemon imap mail server. a few users have the problem that when they compose a message and press "send" outlook seems to sit there doing nothing for about 2 or 3 mins before the message goes away and gets delivered to the mail server. this is only happening on a few machines, i've checked all the account settings and they are ok, any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? thanks Chris Hi Chris, My office is having a similar expirience after upgrading to exchange 2003. The "hang" only o...

Outlook 2003 hangs way too much.
Hi guys, I use Outlook 2003 at work and I used to have a Microsoft Exchange account in the past. Currently I only keep it's messages in one PST file as my new account is through Gmail service. Although it used to hang in the past too, it now hangs way too often and for way too long. Tasks, such as moving emails from my inbox to the appropriate folder to the left are often extremely time consuming. I don't know what to do to solve this but this needs to change. I've been even tempted to switch to Thunderbird but I really like Outlook (when it performs well). I&...

Receiving email in outlook 2007
Trying to send/receive, send works fine but can not receive any emails. Receiving error 0x800ccc0f the connection to the server was interrepted. the server responded - ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded (pass:20,processes:Rps.exe[20]), there is a collision with another program. I checked all settings and they seem fine. Anyone else getting this message or know what I should do. Thanks for you help. Mark wrote: > Trying to send/receive, send works fine but can not receive any emails. > Receiving error 0x800ccc0f the connection to the server was interr...

Outlook over VPN
Anyone get anywhere with this? I have the same problem. We just did a huge network move yesterday in which Company A migrated from an office- based network to a "work-at-home" solution. Their Exchange server is in our data center and they connect into it via Cisco vpn client. They can map shared drives (using IP address), they can access their C&P Accounting program that's on the server, and they can ping the ExchSrv. (OWA also works just fine and we tested 2-way email flow). But when they open up Outlook, it times out and says it can't connect to the exchange server. I&...