Outlook keeps "forgetting" account password

I am running Outlook 2002 as part of the Office 2002 Professional suite on a
machine with MS Vista Home Premium.

Every time I open Outlook, the password for my account is apparently
"forgotten" and needs to be typed in. However, when I do this, I get an
error message:
"Task 'mail.bigpond.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92)
: 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and
password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts.
The server responded: �"

But the error is not that the password has been incorrectly typed. If I
close the error message, and press "Send & Receive" again, it all works
without re-typing the password and continues to work throughout the session.
However, as soon as I close Outlook, I lose the password and next time I
re-open it (even if only a few seconds later), I have to repeat the
procedure. This is despite the fact the password is correctly typed into
(and retained by) the e-mail account setup screen.

Thanks in anticipation

Jon Hynes
Perth, Australia

0
jonhynes (2)

Jon Hynes <jonhynes@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I am running Outlook 2002 as part of the Office 2002 Professional
> suite on a machine with MS Vista Home Premium.
>
> Every time I open Outlook, the password for my account is apparently
> "forgotten" and needs to be typed in. However, when I do this, I get
> an error message:
> "Task 'mail.bigpond.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error
> (0x800CCC92)
>> 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and
> password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail
> accounts. The server responded: �"

Outlook 2002 is not compatible with Vista.  You see one of the symptoms of
this incompatibility.  There will likely be no fix.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
7/17/2008 12:22:08 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:

> Jon Hynes <jonhynes@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I am running Outlook 2002 as part of the Office 2002 Professional
>> suite on a machine with MS Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> Every time I open Outlook, the password for my account is apparently
>> "forgotten" and needs to be typed in. However, when I do this, I get
>> an error message:
>> "Task 'mail.bigpond.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error
>> (0x800CCC92)
>>> 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and
>> password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail
>> accounts. The server responded: �"
>
> Outlook 2002 is not compatible with Vista.  You see one of the symptoms of
> this incompatibility.  There will likely be no fix.

Outlook 2002 will NOT remember passwords when ran under Windows Vista.
Outlook 2002 was coded to use pstore (protected storage system) in the
registry to cache the login credentials for the e-mail accounts defined
in Outlook; see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb432403.aspx.
pstore is no longer available under Windows Vista.  The registry keys
are still there but are read-only so Outlook cannot record your login
credentials into those registry keys but cannot update them.  Vista
dropped pstore and went to DPAPI.  For information on DPAPI, read
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms995355.aspx.  DPAPI has been
around since 2001 starting in Windows 2000.  The result is that you will
need to supply your login credentials for each e-mail account that you
have defined in Outlook for the first mail poll performed by Outlook.
After the first mail poll, the login credentials are reused so you don't
need to supply them again.  However, if you exit and reload Outlook then
you need to supply the login credentials for only the first mail poll.

Outlook 2003/2007 are coded to use either pstore or the newer DPAPI
which means they will run under Vista and pre-Vista versions of Windows.
Mainstream support for Outlook 2002/XP has ended.  There will be no
further feature changes, bug fixes, or enhancements to it.  That means
it will remain incompatible for use under Windows Vista.  Your
Microsoft-based solutions are: suffer with the problem when using
Outlook 2002 on Windows Vista, upgrade to Outlook 2003 or 2007, or use a
different e-mail program that runs properly on Windows Vista.

Read:
http://www.msoutlook.info/question/28
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_and_safety_features_new_to_Windows_Vista#Other_features_and_changes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756884.aspx
0
V4521 (722)
7/17/2008 12:35:28 PM
Oops, reply was meant to be submitted against Jon's post, not Brian's.
0
V4521 (722)
7/17/2008 12:36:16 PM
VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Oops, reply was meant to be submitted against Jon's post, not Brian's.

Doesn't really matter.  I know who you were addressing and it was in the
thread.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
7/17/2008 1:30:15 PM
Thanks for your assistance Vanguard. I suppose I am being too optimistic if
I ask whether the relevant registry key can be manually edited using
Regedit?

Cheers
Jon

> Brian Tillman wrote:
>
>> Jon Hynes <jonhynes@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running Outlook 2002 as part of the Office 2002 Professional
>>> suite on a machine with MS Vista Home Premium.
>>>
>>> Every time I open Outlook, the password for my account is apparently
>>> "forgotten" and needs to be typed in. However, when I do this, I get
>>> an error message:
>>> "Task 'mail.bigpond.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error
>>> (0x800CCC92)
>>> password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail
>>> accounts. The server responded: �"
>>
>> Outlook 2002 is not compatible with Vista.  You see one of the symptoms
>> of
>> this incompatibility.  There will likely be no fix.
>
> Outlook 2002 will NOT remember passwords when ran under Windows Vista.
> Outlook 2002 was coded to use pstore (protected storage system) in the
> registry to cache the login credentials for the e-mail accounts defined
> in Outlook; see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb432403.aspx.
> pstore is no longer available under Windows Vista.  The registry keys
> are still there but are read-only so Outlook cannot record your login
> credentials into those registry keys but cannot update them.  Vista
> dropped pstore and went to DPAPI.  For information on DPAPI, read
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms995355.aspx.  DPAPI has been
> around since 2001 starting in Windows 2000.  The result is that you will
> need to supply your login credentials for each e-mail account that you
> have defined in Outlook for the first mail poll performed by Outlook.
> After the first mail poll, the login credentials are reused so you don't
> need to supply them again.  However, if you exit and reload Outlook then
> you need to supply the login credentials for only the first mail poll.
>
> Outlook 2003/2007 are coded to use either pstore or the newer DPAPI
> which means they will run under Vista and pre-Vista versions of Windows.
> Mainstream support for Outlook 2002/XP has ended.  There will be no
> further feature changes, bug fixes, or enhancements to it.  That means
> it will remain incompatible for use under Windows Vista.  Your
> Microsoft-based solutions are: suffer with the problem when using
> Outlook 2002 on Windows Vista, upgrade to Outlook 2003 or 2007, or use a
> different e-mail program that runs properly on Windows Vista.
>
> Read:
> http://www.msoutlook.info/question/28
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/vista.htm
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_and_safety_features_new_to_Windows_Vista#Other_features_and_changes
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756884.aspx

0
jonhynes (2)
7/18/2008 9:43:52 AM
Jon Hynes <jonhynes@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Thanks for your assistance Vanguard. I suppose I am being too
> optimistic if I ask whether the relevant registry key can be manually
> edited using Regedit?

You can edit them, but Vista doesn't pay any attention to them so it won't
change anything.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
7/18/2008 12:19:04 PM
Jon Hynes wrote:

> Thanks for your assistance Vanguard. I suppose I am being too optimistic if
> I ask whether the relevant registry key can be manually edited using
> Regedit?

The PStore keys in the registry are read-only in Windows Vista.
Removing the read-only attribute won't fix the problem.  The PStore
interface used by Outlook is not available in Windows Vista.  You cannot
manually edit the registry to retrieve or enter the passwords.  PStore
isn't just a location in the registry with plain text data.  It is a
method of encrypting the passwords using TripleDES that are cached in
the registry in a binary construct.  Once a user is logged, the
CryptoAPI can be used to decrypt that Windows account's cached passwords
from the PStore in the registry.  While Windows Vista no longer provides
support for PStore,  it is possible to continue supporting PStore using
a program.  Alas, there be nothing forthcoming as a hotfix or add-on
from Microsoft to support PStore in Outlook 2002 because that product is
no longer supported.

A possible solution is to use a program (as a macro that runs inside of
Outlook) that manages the encrypted password for you in the protected
registry cache.  If you don't want to write the macro or cannot find a
free one already written for you, there is OLAutoPW at
http://www.mgsware.de/index.php/OLAutoPW/138/0/#403.  I've never used it
(because I don't use Windows Vista).  Cost is 10 euro (~$16).  It may
also be possible to use AutoIt, AutoHotkeys, or other keyboard macro
programs that can trigger on specific dialog windows to answer the
password prompt for you but then you need to leave them running all the
time and write up the macro that they run along with identifying the
trigger(s) on when and in which window to run their macro.
0
V4521 (722)
7/18/2008 11:32:38 PM
There are many issues with Passwords in Outlook, several versions.
Herer are three of the threads:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?query=Outlook+Password&dg=&cat=en-us-office&lang=en&cr=US&pt=3a4e9862-cdce-4bdc-8664-91038e3eb1e9&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook&mid=8287198a-edda-46cc-b9c2-6983126a833a&tid=27bd7829-84bd-44bd-9114-3ff4d453bd72

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?query=Outlook+Password&dg=&cat=en-us-office&lang=en&cr=US&pt=3a4e9862-cdce-4bdc-8664-91038e3eb1e9&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

But, none have resolved the issues for mayny of us.

I have read so many posts suggesting the same article and the same fixes it's
like Ground Hog's Day!

We have so much brain power in here, I am suprised we cannot come up with a
fix for an apparent common problem.

2003, 2007, xp, vista no matter, this thing just WON'T REMEMBER PASSWORD for
many of us,
we should be able to figure this out - lets put our collective craniums
together,
here ;)

We have Created a new profile.
Tried the Registry fix.
Even reloaded Outlook, AND reloaded the entire XP!

Did everything in the MS thread with the multiple possibilities.
AS DID everyone in here, apparently.

....but, there is obviously some snake still hiding in Mr. Gates' garden that
keeps biting us, all!

Something we are missing.

Like House always says "DIFFERENTIAL!"

We need to pull the brains of all the people haing this trouble together.
I have seen at least 20 threads, non have come to resolution.
All suggesting the same basic moves, but to no avail.

So, let's get the proverbial box of donuts and pull a team together and
tackle this beast?  No?

Nick

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Jon Hynes wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your assistance Vanguard. I suppose I am being too optimistic if
> > I ask whether the relevant registry key can be manually edited using
> > Regedit?
>
> The PStore keys in the registry are read-only in Windows Vista.
> Removing the read-only attribute won't fix the problem.  The PStore
> interface used by Outlook is not available in Windows Vista.  You cannot
> manually edit the registry to retrieve or enter the passwords.  PStore
> isn't just a location in the registry with plain text data.  It is a
> method of encrypting the passwords using TripleDES that are cached in
> the registry in a binary construct.  Once a user is logged, the
> CryptoAPI can be used to decrypt that Windows account's cached passwords
> from the PStore in the registry.  While Windows Vista no longer provides
> support for PStore,  it is possible to continue supporting PStore using
> a program.  Alas, there be nothing forthcoming as a hotfix or add-on
> from Microsoft to support PStore in Outlook 2002 because that product is
> no longer supported.
>
> A possible solution is to use a program (as a macro that runs inside of
> Outlook) that manages the encrypted password for you in the protected
> registry cache.  If you don't want to write the macro or cannot find a
> free one already written for you, there is OLAutoPW at
> http://www.mgsware.de/index.php/OLAutoPW/138/0/#403.  I've never used it
> (because I don't use Windows Vista).  Cost is 10 euro (~$16).  It may
> also be possible to use AutoIt, AutoHotkeys, or other keyboard macro
> programs that can trigger on specific dialog windows to answer the
> password prompt for you but then you need to leave them running all the
> time and write up the macro that they run along with identifying the
> trigger(s) on when and in which window to run their macro.

0
NickR2 (11)
10/27/2008 1:45:01 PM
"NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> There are many issues with Passwords in Outlook, several versions.
> Herer are three of the threads:

We really don't need multiple posts of the same thing.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/27/2008 6:01:53 PM
So, any suggestions as to where to get some answers?
MS doesnt seem to want to help, much.
Where are we to turn?

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> "NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > There are many issues with Passwords in Outlook, several versions.
> > Herer are three of the threads:
>
> We really don't need multiple posts of the same thing.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
NickR2 (11)
10/29/2008 2:58:17 AM

> So, any suggestions as to where to get some answers?
> MS doesnt seem to want to help, much.
> Where are we to turn?

I don't know what you mean by "doesn't want to help much."  Did you call
Microsoft and open a support incident with them?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/29/2008 3:13:53 PM
I guess I have a fundamental issue with paying people to help me get the bugs
out of their software.

Apparently there is no way to get support without being on the clock, and
frankly, I cannot afford to do that right now. I may just have to go back to
Thunderbird, there are issues there, too, but I can deal with theirs.

Any way to get free support from MS?
Nick

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> "NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > So, any suggestions as to where to get some answers?
> > MS doesnt seem to want to help, much.
> > Where are we to turn?
>
> I don't know what you mean by "doesn't want to help much."  Did you call
> Microsoft and open a support incident with them?
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
NickR2 (11)
10/29/2008 5:44:42 PM
If it's outlook 2007 you get 3 free within 90 day period.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

> I guess I have a fundamental issue with paying people to help me get the
> bugs
> out of their software.
>
> Apparently there is no way to get support without being on the clock, and
> frankly, I cannot afford to do that right now. I may just have to go back
> Thunderbird, there are issues there, too, but I can deal with theirs.
>
> Any way to get free support from MS?
> Nick
>
> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> "NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > So, any suggestions as to where to get some answers?
>> > MS doesnt seem to want to help, much.
>> > Where are we to turn?
>>
>> I don't know what you mean by "doesn't want to help much."  Did you call
>> Microsoft and open a support incident with them?
>> --
>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/30/2008 3:06:16 AM
2003 :(

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> If it's outlook 2007 you get 3 free within 90 day period.
>

> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I guess I have a fundamental issue with paying people to help me get the
> > bugs
> > out of their software.
> >
> > Apparently there is no way to get support without being on the clock, and
> > frankly, I cannot afford to do that right now. I may just have to go back
> > Thunderbird, there are issues there, too, but I can deal with theirs.
> >
> > Any way to get free support from MS?
> > Nick
> >
> > "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> "NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> I don't know what you mean by "doesn't want to help much."  Did you call
> >> Microsoft and open a support incident with them?
> >> --
> >> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
NickR2 (11)
10/30/2008 8:31:02 AM

> 2003 :(

I thought I read somewhere that if Microsoft agrees it is a bug that the fee
will be waived, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
10/30/2008 12:00:45 PM
I believe so.

--

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> 2003 :(
>
> I thought I read somewhere that if Microsoft agrees it is a bug that the
> fee will be waived, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/30/2008 1:06:07 PM
After months of pulling out my hair, I went out and Purchased the upgrade
from Outlook 2003 to 2007, but it STILL WONT SAVE THE PASSWORD.

But, now I qualified for Microsoft support, and guess what, the first guy
took me through the same circus we have been going through here, but the next
one was PURE GENIUS!

Here was the Resolution/Recommendations:  -
 "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders\AppData". AppData is of type REG_EXPAND_SZ and should contain
the value: "%userprofile%\Application Data" - when password prompt in outlook

I DONT HAVE TO ENTER MY PASSWORD ANYMORE  :)
HAPPY HAPPY    JOY   JOY !!!!!

Hope this helps someone else.

Nick

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> I believe so.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>

> "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> 2003 :(
> >
> > I thought I read somewhere that if Microsoft agrees it is a bug that the
> > fee will be waived, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
> > --
> > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
NickR2 (11)
11/10/2008 11:43:00 PM
This looks like just what I am after...alas I lack the knowledge to make the
fix. Will it work Outlook 2002? if it does can you provide a stap-by-step
guide as outlook is just about to go outdoors through a window!

"NickR2" wrote:

> After months of pulling out my hair, I went out and Purchased the upgrade
> from Outlook 2003 to 2007, but it STILL WONT SAVE THE PASSWORD.
>
> But, now I qualified for Microsoft support, and guess what, the first guy
> took me through the same circus we have been going through here, but the next
> one was PURE GENIUS!
>
> Here was the Resolution/Recommendations:  -
>  "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders\AppData". AppData is of type REG_EXPAND_SZ and should contain
> the value: "%userprofile%\Application Data" - when password prompt in outlook
>
> I DONT HAVE TO ENTER MY PASSWORD ANYMORE  :)
> HAPPY HAPPY    JOY   JOY !!!!!
>
> Hope this helps someone else.
>
> Nick
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > I believe so.
> >
> > --
> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >
> > Outlook Tips by email:
> > dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
> >
> > EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> > EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >
> > You can access this newsgroup by visiting
> > http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> > newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
> >

> > "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "NickR2" <NickR2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > I thought I read somewhere that if Microsoft agrees it is a bug that the
> > > fee will be waived, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
> > > --
> > > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
trouble (7)
11/17/2008 11:24:05 PM
You have to go into REG EDIT which is a dangerous hunting grounds, without a
certain degree of expertise. Perhaps one of the more seasoned experts in here
can give you a walk-through?   All I know is this line has to be in your
registry, or outlook ignores the request to save your password.

"Finger trouble" wrote:

> This looks like just what I am after...alas I lack the knowledge to make the
> fix. Will it work Outlook 2002? if it does can you provide a stap-by-step
> guide as outlook is just about to go outdoors through a window!
>
> "NickR2" wrote:
>
> > After months of pulling out my hair, I went out and Purchased the upgrade
> > from Outlook 2003 to 2007, but it STILL WONT SAVE THE PASSWORD.
> >
> > But, now I qualified for Microsoft support, and guess what, the first guy
> > took me through the same circus we have been going through here, but the next
> > one was PURE GENIUS!
> >
> > Here was the Resolution/Recommendations:  -
> >  "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> > Shell Folders\AppData". AppData is of type REG_EXPAND_SZ and should contain
> > the value: "%userprofile%\Application Data" - when password prompt in outlook
> >
> > I DONT HAVE TO ENTER MY PASSWORD ANYMORE  :)
> > HAPPY HAPPY    JOY   JOY !!!!!
> >
> > Hope this helps someone else.
> >
> > Nick
> >
> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > I believe so.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> > > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> > >
> > > Outlook Tips by email:
> > > dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
> > >
> > > EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> > > EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> > >
> > > You can access this newsgroup by visiting
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
> > > newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
> > >

> > > "Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
NickR2 (11)
11/18/2008 1:06:06 AM
"Finger trouble" <Finger trouble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> This looks like just what I am after...alas I lack the knowledge to make
> the
> fix. Will it work Outlook 2002? if it does can you provide a stap-by-step
> guide as outlook is just about to go outdoors through a window!

It's for any Outlook on Windows XP.  Let's look to see if this is the issue
first.  Click Start>Run.  In the Open field, enter "regedit" (without the
quotes) and click OK.  If it's not already expanded, in the left-hand pane
expand "My Computer".  Expand "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", then "Software", then
"Microsoft, then "Windows", then "CurrentVersion", then "Explorer".  Still
in the left-hand pane, select "User Shell Folders".  In the right-hand pane
you'll see several name, type, data triples.  See if the name "AppData" is
there.  If it is, the data for that key should be
"%USERPROFILE%\Application Data".  Now, it's not a _requirement_ that this
key have that data, but Windows works best if all of those special folders
are subfolders of the user profile.  I have the "Personal" key pointing to
another location, which changes the location of each person's "My Documents"
folder to another disk drive and I could point all those special folders
elsewhere, but in general that's not necessary.

If the AppData key doesn't exist, right-click in the right-hand pane and
choose New>Expandable String Value.  A new key named "New Value #1" will
appear.  Change its name to "AppData".  Now double-click the new key and in
the "Value Data" field, enter "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" (without the
quotes).  Click OK.  Close regedit.  Were I doing this, I'd reboot at this
time, but I don't know if that's strictly necessary.

I believe this key exists in Windows Vista as well and there correct data
value is
"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
11/18/2008 12:50:11 PM
Thanks Brian - apologies for the delay in responding.

Your instructions were very clear. Thank you.

I am running Vista and the "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming" key is already
there - any other suggestions?

> I am running Vista and the "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming" key is already
> there - any other suggestions?

In Windows, try moving the contents of the folder
%AppData%\Microsoft\Protect to another folder, rebooting,  and see if that
changes anything.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Forgetting history ?
Easy way around this ? I know I could just copy the file and delete all old entries ( might do it), but sometimes I like to go back to old info. M2006 - there are some mutual funds that I've bought a few times and sold over the years. For any stocks/funds , when I select Avg Cost column or in reports, I'd like it to show the avg cost of "what I now own". not stuff I bought and sold in the past. For example, at the end of 1999 I sold all my funds for about two years, then bought in again. To have it 'forget the past' (pre 1999 share prices/costs) , must I go bac...

Stop forgetting to make attachements to emails with confirmation q
Too often I get or send an email that should have an attachment, but I forget to make the attachment. It would be great if outlook had the option to turn on a confirmation question if I am sending an email that contains words like, "Attached or attachment" and there was no attachment to the email. A simple "Did you intend to attach a file?" would be great. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message p...

Outlook 2002 on Win98 forgetting password
I searched and found several articles describing the problem and proposed fix. I followed as prescribed. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290684 The problem is still occuring. I noticed, upon going into the users registry (Win98) that the userID for her profile, does not get re-created under the Protected Storage System Provider. This is Win98 so it is not a permissions issue in the registry. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Excel "forgetting" its add-ins
There is nothing more annoying than having to reinstall the stupid Solver or other add-ins (such as regression) after not using them for a while! I teach the same class every Spring and every late January or early February I need to check a homework problem on my laptop here and there. And every year, the same damn story, I have to insert some stupid disk, which I don't have with me on a trip. I specifically remember doing THE COMPLETE INSTALLATION of the stupid Office software on my machine precisely to avoid this problem, because this incredible annoyance and frustrat...

outlook feature to prevent forgetting attachments
Often people forget to send attachments with emails. Very often they will write something along the lines of "I have attached the minutes from our meeting" and then forget to atcually attach a file. Is there a way therefore that outlook can check the text of an email for words like attach, attached, attachment and query the user before sending if there does not appear to be an attachment? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree"...

Question about forgetting the saved password in Outlook 2003
Hi all, Did a quick check on Google before I posted here, couldn't find my answer. I'm not an Outlook user and am trying to help someone out with an issue. Recently, a client of mine changed their DSL account password so now when they try to send / receive with Outlook they can't because the password has changed. Where do you go to forget or change the password in Outlook 2003 (SP3)? - Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP) >Did a quick check on Google before I posted here, couldn't find my >answer. I'm not an Outlook user and am trying to help someone out with >an issue. Rece...

Outlook keeps "forgetting" account password
I am running Outlook 2002 as part of the Office 2002 Professional suite on a machine with MS Vista Home Premium. Every time I open Outlook, the password for my account is apparently "forgotten" and needs to be typed in. However, when I do this, I get an error message: "Task 'mail.bigpond.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: �" But the error is not that the password has bee...

Outlook 2003 keeps forgetting my mail sort order and server rules
I have Outlook 2003 on XP Pro and a couple weeks ago my sort order, or "Arrange by" just spontaneously started resetting itself periodically throughout the day (I have Outlook open all day at work) and whenever I restart the application. I usually sort by flag, but it keeps resetting to sorting only by date. Sounds like a registry issue, I guess, but I have done a repair from the CD and also uninstalled - reinstalled without improvement. On the same day, it also stopped processing server rules. I have re-applied all my rules and even created a couple new ones to try and sort this...

Forgetting to attach an attachment...
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01C47B02.CB531FB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, Is there some type of code, that if my subject line reads, "Dog" that I = will not be able to send that attachment unless it contains an = attachment? At times I forget to send out an attachment along with that e-mail, so = if I could have something in place that would warn me, or stop me, it = would be great. Thanks, Jay ------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01C47B02.CB531FB0 Content-Type: text/...