Outlook does not Open!

Outlook takes a while to open then quits after error
message.  Same is happening with Internet @ MSN Explorer.
0
anonymous (74717)

Version of Outlook? Exact error message? Anything else relevant to this you
would like to share?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Backup and Restore

-----
"Sal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Outlook takes a while to open then quits after error
> message.  Same is happening with Internet @ MSN Explorer.

0
Roady
7/6/2004 7:10:56 AM
I'm facing the same trouble. Outlook 97 won't open since I
installed my Office 97 pack under my new Windows XP Pro.
Outlook tries to build-up the Outlook bar then stops,
creates a report for Microsoft.
Anyone knows something about this conflict ?

Fred

0
anonymous (74717)
7/6/2004 1:56:26 PM
Locate outcmd.dat and rename it to outcmd.old

--

"Fred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm facing the same trouble. Outlook 97 won't open since I
> installed my Office 97 pack under my new Windows XP Pro.
> Outlook tries to build-up the Outlook bar then stops,
> creates a report for Microsoft.
> Anyone knows something about this conflict ?
>
> Fred

0
Roady
7/6/2004 3:42:31 PM
Thanks a lot! I'll try that right away.

0
anonymous (74717)
7/6/2004 5:10:53 PM
It didn't work: there is not outcmd file. I tried all the
hints on the howto-outlook website but none was applicable.
My Outlook is 97 and the very first launching is not
possible.
More help ?

Fred

0
anonymous (74717)
7/7/2004 9:19:20 AM
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> It didn't work: there is not outcmd file.

If this on a Windows 2000 or XP machine?  If so, the outcmd.dat file is in a
hidden folder, usually C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook.  You have to enable viewing in hidden folders for
see it.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
7/7/2004 2:16:04 PM
All my files are visible, including the system folders.
Actually, I was never able to launch Outlook that may be
the reason why there is no outcmd file.

0
anonymous (74717)
7/7/2004 4:55:37 PM
Did you configure it with a valid account? You can check this in Control
Panel-> Mail

Since you were never able to succesfully open Outlook 97 I suggest you
remove it, the run the following tool and install it again;
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176823

--

> All my files are visible, including the system folders.
> Actually, I was never able to launch Outlook that may be
> the reason why there is no outcmd file.

0
Roady
7/7/2004 11:18:58 PM
Tyhank you for the support. I don't have a valid e-mail
account on Outlook since I couldn't even launch it once.

I've already deleted and reinstalled my Office 97. But
note that The eraser utility does not run on operating
systems later than Microsoft Windows 2000 and my OS is Win
XP Pro.

Is there any known conflict between Office 97 components
and Win XP Pro ??

Fred

0
anonymous (74717)
7/8/2004 8:14:11 AM
Fred <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Tyhank you for the support. I don't have a valid e-mail
> account on Outlook since I couldn't even launch it once.

Create your account in Control Panel before you run Outlook.

> Is there any known conflict between Office 97 components
> and Win XP Pro ??

Outlook 97 runs fine on my Windows XP system, with one exception: it cannot
be used to send mail through broadband services that require authentication
to the ourgoing server.  This includes services like Comcast, SBC Yahoo!,
Verizon, and Rogers.  Outlook 97 does not have the ability to authenticate
to the outgoing (SMTP) server.  Outlook 98 was the first version to
implement that feature.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
7/8/2004 1:20:43 PM
When I go to the Control panel / mail, I already have:
- personnal folders
- Outlook address book

I've added one Internet e-mail account.

But it remains impossible to start Outlook. It keeps
blocking at the creation of the toolbar then generates a
report to be sent to Microsoft

Fred

0
anonymous (74717)
7/8/2004 2:35:42 PM
Do you have any programs installed that just like to integrate with Outlook?
WinFAX, Synchronisation Software and virusscanners are the most common
programs that like to do that. In the configuration of your virusscanner you
should be able to disable the Office/Outlook integration. Locate the
outcmd.dat, extend.dat and views.dat file (when available; make sure you
include hidden and system files when searching for them) and rename them to
..old.

--

> When I go to the Control panel / mail, I already have:
> - personnal folders
> - Outlook address book
>
> I've added one Internet e-mail account.
>
> But it remains impossible to start Outlook. It keeps
> blocking at the creation of the toolbar then generates a
> report to be sent to Microsoft
>
> Fred

0
Roady
7/8/2004 10:56:26 PM
I stopped Norton Antivirus, found and renamed extend.dat
but nothing better!
I'm desesperate.

Fred

0
anonymous (74717)
7/9/2004 6:41:36 PM
Outlook 2002, Outlook has experienced a problem and needs
to close half way through starting up

0
anonymous (74717)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Outlook freezes up

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

outlook 2002

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

IE8 won't open
I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers. Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything. Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does, it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it. Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I must reset it usually each time. Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting suggestions. Jim wrote: > I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.=20 > Possible virus but McAfee does not show ...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...

outlook to outlook express #4
Hi, I am hoping there is away to import all my Outlook Express settings inc address book, messages and files in all local folders to Outlook 2003. I am using Outlook Express 6 When I start to install Outlook 2003 it asks if I want to Configure an email account... I stopped there afraid I would lose all my settings from Express. Any and all help would be appreciated I think you say no to that dialog and then you will get prompted about importing from OE. (Even if you say yes, it won't go delete anything out of OE.) "Manny" <manny_is@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...

Outlook XP to Outlook 2002
Is there a way to export my *.pst files from Outlook XP (newest edition) to Outlook 2002. Files are incompatable (normal). Is there anyway this can be done. My computer at home is Brand new with MS Small for XP (new). I usually get my mail from work at home and at the end of the day(s), I create a *.pst to send to work and load into my main Outlook (2002 version). Any sugguestions if any. Thanks gene Gene <gbarbato@eaglecondev.com> wrote: > Is there a way to export my *.pst files from Outlook XP > (newest edition) to Outlook 2002. Huh? Office XP contains Outlook 2002. ...

Outlook 2000 boots for a few seconds, then shuts down
My Outlook 2000 (running under XP) has started booting, but only for a few seconds, then it shuts down by itself. I cannot access new or stored messages, manage the personal folders, etc. I get a popup Microsoft Outlook message that says: Error signature AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.6604 ModName: emailscanner.dll ModVer: 1.0.0.1 Offset: 00040df3 To view technical information about the error report, click here. CLOSE button I have re-installed Microsoft Office 2000 (including Outlook 2000), but the problem remains. Outlook still boots and then disappears in seconds...