Outlook accessing POP3 and Exchange

I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.

Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3 mail
server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else internally.

The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all company
e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an e-mail
through the Exchange server.  This causes NDR's because Exchange is not
setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can it be -
because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the entire
company).

Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
Exchange for everything else?

Jacques

0
Jacques

There is a problem with Outlook 2003 where it will reply from the wrong
account if the correct account fails to connect for what ever reason, there
is a fix to this in Service Pack 2, however it does say the fix is for when
Outlook connects to SMTP type accounts so I dont know if this will help in
your situation. Here is the link to what is fixed in Outlook 2003 SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906451/
"Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
>Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.
>
> Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3
> mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else
> internally.
>
> The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all company
> e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an e-mail
> through the Exchange server.  This causes NDR's because Exchange is not
> setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can it be -
> because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the entire
> company).
>
> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
> Exchange for everything else?
>
> Jacques

0
noelall (144)
9/29/2005 9:50:30 PM
Thanks, I'm downloading the SP's now.  I'll try it and see what happens.

I guess the question is, does this mean that it will wait longer for the
POP3 connection, before it jumps to Exchange?

"Noel All" <noelall@gmail.com> wrote in message
> There is a problem with Outlook 2003 where it will reply from the wrong
> account if the correct account fails to connect for what ever reason,
> there is a fix to this in Service Pack 2, however it does say the fix is
> for when Outlook connects to SMTP type accounts so I dont know if this
> will help in your situation. Here is the link to what is fixed in Outlook
> 2003 SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906451/
> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
>>Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.
>>
>> Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3
>> mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else
>> internally.
>>
>> The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all
>> company e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an
>> e-mail through the Exchange server.  This causes NDR's because Exchange
>> is not setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can
>> it be - because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the
>> entire company).
>>
>> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
>> Exchange for everything else?
>>
>> Jacques

0
Jacques
9/29/2005 11:22:05 PM
Well it might not even apply in your case because it does mention SMTP
accounts, what I imagine it should do is just fail to send. Have you
considered going the whole hog and using Exchange to process the email as
well - might save a lot pf problems in the long run. Didn't I answer a post
where you were using pst as well - you could get rid of these too :)
> Thanks, I'm downloading the SP's now.  I'll try it and see what happens.
>
> I guess the question is, does this mean that it will wait longer for the
> POP3 connection, before it jumps to Exchange?
>

> "Noel All" <noelall@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> There is a problem with Outlook 2003 where it will reply from the wrong
>> account if the correct account fails to connect for what ever reason,
>> there is a fix to this in Service Pack 2, however it does say the fix is
>> for when Outlook connects to SMTP type accounts so I dont know if this
>> will help in your situation. Here is the link to what is fixed in Outlook
>> 2003 SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906451/
>> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>>I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
>>>Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.
>>>
>>> Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3
>>> mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else
>>> internally.
>>>
>>> The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all
>>> company e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an
>>> e-mail through the Exchange server.  This causes NDR's because Exchange
>>> is not setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can
>>> it be - because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the
>>> entire company).
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
>>> Exchange for everything else?
>>>
>>> Jacques

0
noelall (144)
9/29/2005 11:44:43 PM
> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
> Exchange for everything else?

No. There is no reason why you can't configure Exchange to send all mail and
set the SMTP address as the POP3 address. You can then either use a POP3
Connector to collect all POP3 mail directly into the exchange server or
continue using Outlook to collect it.
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050203.htm#inmail

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
>Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.
>
> Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3
> mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else
> internally.
>
> The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all company
> e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an e-mail
> through the Exchange server.  This causes NDR's because Exchange is not
> setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can it be -
> because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the entire
> company).
>
> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
> Exchange for everything else?
>
> Jacques

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/30/2005 6:00:20 AM
I wouldn't be able to do that in this instance.  The division that uses the
Exchange server doesn't have control of the primary POP3 server being used
for the rest of the company.

Refer to the below for details:
Newsgroup: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
Subject: Getting Exchange to forward e-mails

>> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
>> Exchange for everything else?
>
> No. There is no reason why you can't configure Exchange to send all mail
> and set the SMTP address as the POP3 address. You can then either use a
> POP3 Connector to collect all POP3 mail directly into the exchange server
> or continue using Outlook to collect it.
> http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050203.htm#inmail
>

> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
>>Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.
>>
>> Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3
>> mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else
>> internally.
>>
>> The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all
>> company e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an
>> e-mail through the Exchange server.  This causes NDR's because Exchange
>> is not setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can
>> it be - because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the
>> entire company).
>>
>> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
>> Exchange for everything else?
>>
>> Jacques

0
Jacques
9/30/2005 12:34:05 PM
POP3 connectors don't care who has control of the pop server. They work like
a POP3 client but instead of committing it to the message store of their
client, they drop it in the pickup folder of exchange or hand it off to
Exchange's SMTP server.

http://www.slipstick.com/exs/popconnect.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

>I wouldn't be able to do that in this instance.  The division that uses the
>Exchange server doesn't have control of the primary POP3 server being used
>for the rest of the company.
>
> Refer to the below for details:
> Newsgroup: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
> Subject: Getting Exchange to forward e-mails
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
>>> Exchange for everything else?
>>
>> No. There is no reason why you can't configure Exchange to send all mail
>> and set the SMTP address as the POP3 address. You can then either use a
>> POP3 Connector to collect all POP3 mail directly into the exchange server
>> or continue using Outlook to collect it.
>> http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050203.htm#inmail
>>

>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>> Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

>> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>>I have a site that needs the collaborative and groupware functions of
>>>Exchange but they don't have control of the e-mail domain.
>>>
>>> Currently, all users of this division have Outlook2003 accessing a POP3
>>> mail server from their ISP and an Exchange server for everything else
>>> internally.
>>>
>>> The Outlook configuration is set to use the ISP by default for all
>>> company e-mail, but every now and then, Outlook will attempt to send an
>>> e-mail through the Exchange server.  This causes NDR's because Exchange
>>> is not setup with the live domain e-mail address of the company (nor can
>>> it be - because this Exchange server is not the mail handler for the
>>> entire company).
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to force Outlook to always use the ISP for e-mail, but
>>> Exchange for everything else?
>>>
>>> Jacques

0
outlookmvp (5838)
9/30/2005 1:33:27 PM
I was able to resolve the problem but now the users are getting multiple
copies of new incoming e-mails.

Any thoughts.

> Well it might not even apply in your case because it does mention SMTP
> accounts, what I imagine it should do is just fail to send. Have you
> considered going the whole hog and using Exchange to process the email as
> well - might save a lot pf problems in the long run. Didn't I answer a
> post where you were using pst as well - you could get rid of these too :)
> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, I'm downloading the SP's now.  I'll try it and see what happens.
>>
>> I guess the question is, does this mean that it will wait longer for the
>> POP3 connection, before it jumps to Exchange?
>>

>> "Noel All" <noelall@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> There is a problem with Outlook 2003 where it will reply from the wrong
>>> account if the correct account fails to connect for what ever reason,
>>> there is a fix to this in Service Pack 2, however it does say the fix is
>>> for when Outlook connects to SMTP type accounts so I dont know if this
>>> will help in your situation. Here is the link to what is fixed in
>>> Outlook 2003 SP2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906451/
>>> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

0
Jacques
10/3/2005 4:27:39 PM
Are the headers different
>I was able to resolve the problem but now the users are getting multiple
>copies of new incoming e-mails.
>
> Any thoughts.
>

> "Noel All" <noelall@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well it might not even apply in your case because it does mention SMTP
>> accounts, what I imagine it should do is just fail to send. Have you
>> considered going the whole hog and using Exchange to process the email as
>> well - might save a lot pf problems in the long run. Didn't I answer a
>> post where you were using pst as well - you could get rid of these too :)
>> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, I'm downloading the SP's now.  I'll try it and see what happens.
>>>
>>> I guess the question is, does this mean that it will wait longer for the
>>> POP3 connection, before it jumps to Exchange?
>>>

>>> "Noel All" <noelall@gmail.com> wrote in message

0
noelall (144)
10/3/2005 4:45:01 PM
Now that...I didn't know it could do.  I may have to try that one.

Thank you very much.

> POP3 connectors don't care who has control of the pop server. They work
> like a POP3 client but instead of committing it to the message store of
> their client, they drop it in the pickup folder of exchange or hand it off
> to Exchange's SMTP server.
>
> http://www.slipstick.com/exs/popconnect.htm
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)

> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>I wouldn't be able to do that in this instance.  The division that uses
>>the Exchange server doesn't have control of the primary POP3 server being
>>used for the rest of the company.
>>
>> Refer to the below for details:
>> Newsgroup: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>> Subject: Getting Exchange to forward e-mails
>>

>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> No. There is no reason why you can't configure Exchange to send all mail
>>> and set the SMTP address as the POP3 address. You can then either use a
>>> POP3 Connector to collect all POP3 mail directly into the exchange
>>> server or continue using Outlook to collect it.
>>> http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050203.htm#inmail
>>>

>>> --
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
>>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>>> Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>>

>>> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

0
Jacques
10/3/2005 8:32:14 PM
The one's that are duplicated are exactly the same, down to the SMTP id.

> Are the headers different
> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>I was able to resolve the problem but now the users are getting multiple
>>copies of new incoming e-mails.
>>
>> Any thoughts.
>>

>> "Noel All" <noelall@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Well it might not even apply in your case because it does mention SMTP
>>> accounts, what I imagine it should do is just fail to send. Have you
>>> considered going the whole hog and using Exchange to process the email
>>> as well - might save a lot pf problems in the long run. Didn't I answer
>>> a post where you were using pst as well - you could get rid of these too
>>> :)
>>> "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

0
Jacques

Exchange 2003 Question??
Dear all, I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition with SA? Thank you. Regards, Kueh. This might help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;170280 -- Santhosh Sivarajan MCSE(W2K/NT4),MCSA(W2K3/W2K/MSG),CCNA,Network+ "KA Kueh" <kka@ksm.com.my> wrote in message news:exVKwgOKEHA.1040@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > I would like to know if there is an upgrade path from Exchange 2003 Standard > Edition with SA to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition wit...

setting up outlook 2003 connection to exchange server 2003
Hi my desktop disks crashed 7 months ago and I have been using my laptop (win 2k pro sp4 and outlook 2003 with vpn) for this time SUCCESSFULLY. I built a new desktop using win 2k SERVER (for the raid-mirror function). I am using the SAME settings to configure the outlook 2003 client in BOTH cases (hosts file in same location as in win2k pro, email account name, server name and vpn settings, authentication). in the article Q155048 the suggestion is made to ping the server, oddly enough I CANNOT ping microsoft.com nor the outsourced exchange server (time out), when the vpn is runni...

outlook 2007 runs slow

can't send anything in Outlook 2002

Outlook Mobile Access Problem

MS POP3 Connector
Hi All, I have configure the MS POP3 Connector to download the mail from our company external hosting mail server. But I want to leave a message in the mail server, but seem like the MS POP3 Connector will auto delete the message after successfully download it. Is there any way i can do it ahH??? -- Regards, Venedict ...

MSN accounts dosen't work in Outlook.

outlook 2000 help file

Outlook 2003

Exchange 2007 Evaluation version #2

Edit Microsoft Exchange System Object with ADSI
When I applied a new recipient policy to add a 2nd domain name to our users, I applied it to all rather than using a filter to only pick the users in the Users OU. Everything was still fine but we have one conflict. A public folder had the same name as a user and thus had the same email address. We are getting the event:Event ID: 9514 Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Description: Two objects in the Directory have the same proxy - /DC=COM/DC=[DomainName]/CN=[ContainerName1]/CN=[Object1] and /DC=COM/DC=[DomainName]/CN=[ContainerName2]/CN=[Object2] I deleted the public folder b...

Unable to create more Windows NT accounts for Exchange mailboxes
Hi Guys, Currently our Exchange server stopped allowing the creation of more Windows NT Accounts with the following error"Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the requested service".Pls is there a way out of this? We run Exchange 5.5 SP3 on Windows NT Server. -- Buchi ...

Outlook 2002/XP Folder List view question

Outlook 2003 Contact data

Upgrading from Exchange 2000 Standard to Enterprise Cal ? #2
Hello Everyone, I know the upgrade process from exchange 2000 standard to enterprise seems pretty straight forward. However, I have a cal question. Are my standard cals still good with this upgrade. Say I have right now standard 2000 with 30 cals. If I upgrade to Exchange 2000 Enterprise with 25 cals to pass the 16mb limitation. Would I then only have the 25 cals or 55 total cals? Thanks ...

Exchange 5.5 <-> Exchange 2000 cannot rebuild ADC
I have two servers, one is Exchange 5.5, one is Exchange 2000. They are normally connected via the ADC. However, occasionally, these servers will lose sync, and the only previous recourse was a reboot, and a rebuilding of the ADC. Required a bit of extra "manpower", but it got the job done. So, we went through and tried it again to fix a problem, and now we cannot get the ADC back up. When I try to set the destination or source for the ADC to place/get information to/from the Exchange 5.5 system, I get the following error: "The Exchange server specified does not meet the...

concurrent instances (or profiles) of outlook
Hi, Is it possible to have two instances of Outlook running at the same time? Or maybe have two Outlook profiles accessable at the same time? I have two mail accounts and want to keep them seperate and want to use Outlook for both. But I don't know how so right now I'm using Outlook Express for one and Outlook for the other. Thanks for any advise, Rob No, you cannot run 2 instances of Outlook nor can you have 2 profiles open at the same time. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus n...