Outlook 2007 xnk work around

We are testing Office 2007. I am trying to come up with a work around for
linking directly to Public Folders, since Outlook 2007 no longer support
..xnk links. Our users had links on their desktops to Office Calendars in
Public Folders, which now do not work.

I have created a Custom Command Bar Button linking directly to the folder in
question. So while this cannot be on their desktop, it is quickly accessible
from within Outlook. Two questions does anyone know of an alternate method
to accommodate linking directly to the Public Folder Calendar? Or how I can
make this custom button available to all of my users, would like to avoid
them having to go through the tedious process of creating it? And me
supporting the multitude that will get it wrong.

Environment: Office 2007 Enterprise, Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, Windows XP
SP2, GPO, and SMS

Any help is appreciated.

BTW: Here are the steps to create a button that will open a public folder.
For anyone else encountering this issue.

1.      Go to View on the Menu Bar, Toolbars, select Web

2.      Now Select Folder List from the Navigation Pane.

3.      Navigate to the Public Folder you want to create a button to and
select it.

4.      Copy the address from the Web Toolbar.

5.      Now Choose Tools, Customize

6.      Choose the Go category and then select the Calendar Icon and drag it
to your toolbar in the location you want to place the shortcut

7.      With the Customize dialog box still open, right-click the new button
you have just added and double click the name, now change the name to what
you want.

8.      Now click on Image and Text, after which the customize window may
close.

9.      Right-click the new button you have just added and choose Assign
Hyperlink, then choose Open

10.  Paste the path to the Public Folder you copied in step 3.

11.  Click OK to close the Hyperlink dialog box, then click Close to close
the Customize dialog box.

Thank you,

James Borg

0
JB2996 (2)

if you are going to use it from within outlook anyway (since outlook://
links don't work outside of outlook anymore),  why not just send the links
embedded in an HTML message? Or set up a folder homepage?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"James S. Borg" <JB@nospam.postalias> wrote in message
> We are testing Office 2007. I am trying to come up with a work around for
> linking directly to Public Folders, since Outlook 2007 no longer support
> .xnk links. Our users had links on their desktops to Office Calendars in
> Public Folders, which now do not work.
>
> I have created a Custom Command Bar Button linking directly to the folder
> in question. So while this cannot be on their desktop, it is quickly
> accessible from within Outlook. Two questions does anyone know of an
> alternate method to accommodate linking directly to the Public Folder
> Calendar? Or how I can make this custom button available to all of my
> users, would like to avoid them having to go through the tedious process
> of creating it? And me supporting the multitude that will get it wrong.
>
> Environment: Office 2007 Enterprise, Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, Windows
> XP SP2, GPO, and SMS
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> BTW: Here are the steps to create a button that will open a public folder.
> For anyone else encountering this issue.
>
> 1.      Go to View on the Menu Bar, Toolbars, select Web
>
> 2.      Now Select Folder List from the Navigation Pane.
>
> 3.      Navigate to the Public Folder you want to create a button to and
> select it.
>
> 4.      Copy the address from the Web Toolbar.
>
> 5.      Now Choose Tools, Customize
>
> 6.      Choose the Go category and then select the Calendar Icon and drag
> it to your toolbar in the location you want to place the shortcut
>
> 7.      With the Customize dialog box still open, right-click the new
> button you have just added and double click the name, now change the name
> to what you want.
>
> 8.      Now click on Image and Text, after which the customize window may
> close.
>
> 9.      Right-click the new button you have just added and choose Assign
> Hyperlink, then choose Open
>
> 10.  Paste the path to the Public Folder you copied in step 3.
>
> 11.  Click OK to close the Hyperlink dialog box, then click Close to close
> the Customize dialog box.
>

> Thank you,
>
> James Borg

0
outlookmvp (5838)
5/30/2008 6:51:46 PM
Thank you Diane. Not sure I am following you. Currently the users have a
desktop shortcut that brings them directly to the Office Calendar in
Exchange Public Folders. Sending them a link in e-mail does not seem to be
an adequate alternative to this. They would have to open Outlook, locate the
e-mail in question, then click the link.

I am not familiar with Folder Homepages can you direct me to a resource on
it?

> if you are going to use it from within outlook anyway (since outlook://
> links don't work outside of outlook anymore),  why not just send the links
> embedded in an HTML message? Or set up a folder homepage?
>

> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "James S. Borg" <JB@nospam.postalias> wrote in message
>> We are testing Office 2007. I am trying to come up with a work around for
>> linking directly to Public Folders, since Outlook 2007 no longer support
>> .xnk links. Our users had links on their desktops to Office Calendars in
>> Public Folders, which now do not work.
>>
>> I have created a Custom Command Bar Button linking directly to the folder
>> in question. So while this cannot be on their desktop, it is quickly
>> accessible from within Outlook. Two questions does anyone know of an
>> alternate method to accommodate linking directly to the Public Folder
>> Calendar? Or how I can make this custom button available to all of my
>> users, would like to avoid them having to go through the tedious process
>> of creating it? And me supporting the multitude that will get it wrong.
>>
>> Environment: Office 2007 Enterprise, Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, Windows
>> XP SP2, GPO, and SMS
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> BTW: Here are the steps to create a button that will open a public
>> folder. For anyone else encountering this issue.
>>
>> 1.      Go to View on the Menu Bar, Toolbars, select Web
>>
>> 2.      Now Select Folder List from the Navigation Pane.
>>
>> 3.      Navigate to the Public Folder you want to create a button to and
>> select it.
>>
>> 4.      Copy the address from the Web Toolbar.
>>
>> 5.      Now Choose Tools, Customize
>>
>> 6.      Choose the Go category and then select the Calendar Icon and drag
>> it to your toolbar in the location you want to place the shortcut
>>
>> 7.      With the Customize dialog box still open, right-click the new
>> button you have just added and double click the name, now change the name
>> to what you want.
>>
>> 8.      Now click on Image and Text, after which the customize window may
>> close.
>>
>> 9.      Right-click the new button you have just added and choose Assign
>> Hyperlink, then choose Open
>>
>> 10.  Paste the path to the Public Folder you copied in step 3.
>>
>> 11.  Click OK to close the Hyperlink dialog box, then click Close to
>> close the Customize dialog box.
>>

>> Thank you,
>>
>> James Borg

0
JB2996 (2)
6/4/2008 8:18:36 PM
Hi James,

I too have been having the same frustrating problem. We have links set
up on our Intranet home page and users that have Office 2007 can no
longer use the links. It seems as though a lot of people have this
problem but no answers. Have you discovered any fix? No one at
Microsoft seems to want to acknowlede the problem.....

Thanks,

John

James S. Borg wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> 3.      Navigate to the Public Folder you want to create a button to and
> >> select it.
> >>
> >> 4.      Copy the address from the Web Toolbar.
> >>
> >> 5.      Now Choose Tools, Customize
> >>
> >> 6.      Choose the Go category and then select the Calendar Icon and drag
> >> it to your toolbar in the location you want to place the shortcut
> >>
> >> 7.      With the Customize dialog box still open, right-click the new
> >> button you have just added and double click the name, now change the name
> >> to what you want.
> >>
> >> 8.      Now click on Image and Text, after which the customize window may
> >> close.
> >>
> >> 9.      Right-click the new button you have just added and choose Assign
> >> Hyperlink, then choose Open
> >>
> >> 10.  Paste the path to the Public Folder you copied in step 3.
> >>
> >> 11.  Click OK to close the Hyperlink dialog box, then click Close to

0
jpieroni (1)
6/11/2008 6:28:22 PM
There is no fix - outlook:// links will not work when triggered outside
Outlook. If you put  link in an email or in a folder homepage, it will be
usable.  In your case, with links on the intranet webpage, try setting it as
a folder homepage- make a new folder called "Intranet" and set the page as
it's folder homepage. It's easy to find and easy to use. It's possible the
intranet page won't work because of security, but its worth trying. If not,
links in an email which they store in the Intranet folder will work.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

<jpieroni@sesac.com> wrote in message
> Hi James,
>
> I too have been having the same frustrating problem. We have links set
> up on our Intranet home page and users that have Office 2007 can no
> longer use the links. It seems as though a lot of people have this
> problem but no answers. Have you discovered any fix? No one at
> Microsoft seems to want to acknowlede the problem.....
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> James S. Borg wrote:
>> Thank you Diane. Not sure I am following you. Currently the users have a
>> desktop shortcut that brings them directly to the Office Calendar in
>> Exchange Public Folders. Sending them a link in e-mail does not seem to
>> be
>> an adequate alternative to this. They would have to open Outlook, locate
>> the
>> e-mail in question, then click the link.
>>
>> I am not familiar with Folder Homepages can you direct me to a resource
>> on
>> it?
>>

>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > if you are going to use it from within outlook anyway (since outlook://
>> > links don't work outside of outlook anymore),  why not just send the
>> > links
>> > embedded in an HTML message? Or set up a folder homepage?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
>> > Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
>> > Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>> >
>> > Outlook Tips by email:
>> > dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>> >
>> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>> > Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>> > EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>> >

>> > "James S. Borg" <JB@nospam.postalias> wrote in message

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Requery ONLY works in timer 0.5 sec later !!!
Requery ONLY works in timer 0.5 sec later !!! Hello everyone and thank you for your time, I have a simple form with a subform with a CANCEL button on it. The problem is that if I don't use the DoCmd.Requery command, the form advances to the next record even though the previous one was still empty. If I put the DoCmd.Requery on the bottom or the top of the Cancel code it dose not work, the ONLY way I have my form working properly at the moment is like so.... Private Sub Cancel_Click() Me.TimerInterval = 500 DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord ...

Print Preview, Office Mac X, Zoom not working
The Zoom function in print preview is greyed out. I need to enlarge the document, as it is unreadable otherwise. The following MSKB article refers to Excel 98, but perhaps the same solution will work in your version: XL98: Zoom Button Is Unavailable in Print Preview http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=186869 Nick Shestople wrote: > The Zoom function in print preview is greyed out. I need to enlarge the > document, as it is unreadable otherwise. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

making boxplot in excel 2007
Hey. Got a problem on making a boxplot in excel 2007. I used to make excel 2003 to make the boxplot, but now I have the 2007 edition. I learned from my teacher that I need to use the "High-Low-lines" and the "Up/down-bars" to make the boxplot. The problem is that when I made the "Up/down-bars" it will cover the data-points so I can't see median ect. Is there anyway to change the order of the chart-figures like to show the data-point at the top, the up/down-bars in the middle and the high-low-lines at the bottom just like when u change the order of several...

Outlook freezes up

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook & Entourage

documents created with microsoft office publisher 2007 trial versi
recently i created a few documents with microsoft office publisher 2007 duriing a free trial period that recently expired. i can access the documents but i can't do anything with them, is there anyway to open them with my 2003 version of microsoft office? If you have Publisher 2002 or 03 you can open the files. You may be able to recover the text in Word. Try a print screen if you really need the file. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "thomas" <thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F703554-FE98-466D-A839-6102CA009EA7@microsoft.com... > re...

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

outlook 2002

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...