Outlook 2007 will only open in Safe mode

I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe
mode.  What else do I need to try.

Also tried switch /resetnavpane

Thanks.

0
safetymom

Is this a new problem or triggered by some event?

"safetymom" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe
>mode.  What else do I need to try.
>
> Also tried switch /resetnavpane
>
> Thanks.

0
DL
11/14/2009 12:26:29 AM
safetymom wrote:

> I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in
> safe mode.

Safe mode disables both the add-ins and COM plug-ins - but only the COM
plug-ins that are shown in its list.  Some COM plug-ins aren't listed in
Outlook's config UI (e.g., at one time, the AttachmentOptions add-in
would not show up in this list until the author changed his code).
Starting is safe mode disables the load of any add-ins and disables the
interface with COM plug-ins.  So starting in normal mode with all the
*listed* add-ins and COM plug-ins set to disabled doesn't also run with
the unlisted COM plug-ins disabled.

Since you can't disable the unlisted COM plug-ins using Outlook's UI,
you have to see what you might've installed by visiting the Add/Remove
Programs applet and uninstall the likely candidates, like some e-mail
enhancement program, anti-spam program, anti-virus with e-mail scanning,
and so on; i.e., anything that might interrogate your mail traffic or
attempt to alter your e-mail client's behavior.
0
VanguardLH
11/14/2009 7:18:25 AM
This is a new problem.  All I did was turn the computer off and then turn it
back on.

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is this a new problem or triggered by some event?
>
> "safetymom" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe
>>mode.  What else do I need to try.
>>
>> Also tried switch /resetnavpane
>>
>> Thanks.

0
safetymom
11/14/2009 7:28:45 PM
I haven't added any new programs.

> safetymom wrote:
>
>> I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in
>> safe mode.
>
> Safe mode disables both the add-ins and COM plug-ins - but only the COM
> plug-ins that are shown in its list.  Some COM plug-ins aren't listed in
> Outlook's config UI (e.g., at one time, the AttachmentOptions add-in
> would not show up in this list until the author changed his code).
> Starting is safe mode disables the load of any add-ins and disables the
> interface with COM plug-ins.  So starting in normal mode with all the
> *listed* add-ins and COM plug-ins set to disabled doesn't also run with
> the unlisted COM plug-ins disabled.
>
> Since you can't disable the unlisted COM plug-ins using Outlook's UI,
> you have to see what you might've installed by visiting the Add/Remove
> Programs applet and uninstall the likely candidates, like some e-mail
> enhancement program, anti-spam program, anti-virus with e-mail scanning,
> and so on; i.e., anything that might interrogate your mail traffic or
> attempt to alter your e-mail client's behavior.

0
safetymom
11/14/2009 7:33:26 PM
safetymom wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> safetymom wrote:
>>
>>> I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in
>>> safe mode.
>>
>> Safe mode disables both the add-ins and COM plug-ins - but only the COM
>> plug-ins that are shown in its list.  Some COM plug-ins aren't listed in
>> Outlook's config UI (e.g., at one time, the AttachmentOptions add-in
>> would not show up in this list until the author changed his code).
>> Starting is safe mode disables the load of any add-ins and disables the
>> interface with COM plug-ins.  So starting in normal mode with all the
>> *listed* add-ins and COM plug-ins set to disabled doesn't also run with
>> the unlisted COM plug-ins disabled.
>>
>> Since you can't disable the unlisted COM plug-ins using Outlook's UI,
>> you have to see what you might've installed by visiting the Add/Remove
>> Programs applet and uninstall the likely candidates, like some e-mail
>> enhancement program, anti-spam program, anti-virus with e-mail scanning,
>> and so on; i.e., anything that might interrogate your mail traffic or
>> attempt to alter your e-mail client's behavior.
>
> I haven't added any new programs.

So the only applications that were installed on a *fresh* install of
Windows (and not some image for a pre-built computer, like from HP or
Dell that include tons of fluff software) were the components included
in Microsoft Office 2007?  You did a clean install of Windows followed
by an install of Office 2007 and have not installed anything else?  You
have absolutely no other applications installed on your host, like
anti-virus software?  Have you reviewed the list in the Add/Remove
Programs applet?
0
VanguardLH
11/14/2009 9:19:33 PM
I have not reinstalled Windows or Office 2007.  I turned my computer off
yesterday and turned it back on and now will only open in safe mode.  Trying
to not need to format the hard drive and start over.   I haven't installed
any software in quite a while.

> safetymom wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> Safe mode disables both the add-ins and COM plug-ins - but only the COM
>>> plug-ins that are shown in its list.  Some COM plug-ins aren't listed in
>>> Outlook's config UI (e.g., at one time, the AttachmentOptions add-in
>>> would not show up in this list until the author changed his code).
>>> Starting is safe mode disables the load of any add-ins and disables the
>>> interface with COM plug-ins.  So starting in normal mode with all the
>>> *listed* add-ins and COM plug-ins set to disabled doesn't also run with
>>> the unlisted COM plug-ins disabled.
>>>
>>> Since you can't disable the unlisted COM plug-ins using Outlook's UI,
>>> you have to see what you might've installed by visiting the Add/Remove
>>> Programs applet and uninstall the likely candidates, like some e-mail
>>> enhancement program, anti-spam program, anti-virus with e-mail scanning,
>>> and so on; i.e., anything that might interrogate your mail traffic or
>>> attempt to alter your e-mail client's behavior.
>>
>> I haven't added any new programs.
>
> So the only applications that were installed on a *fresh* install of
> Windows (and not some image for a pre-built computer, like from HP or
> Dell that include tons of fluff software) were the components included
> in Microsoft Office 2007?  You did a clean install of Windows followed
> by an install of Office 2007 and have not installed anything else?  You
> have absolutely no other applications installed on your host, like
> anti-virus software?  Have you reviewed the list in the Add/Remove
> Programs applet?

0
safetymom
11/15/2009 1:18:03 AM
Have you tried booting your PC into safemode with networking, then tested
Outlook?
If outlook then boots normally its a third party application in your
startups causing the problem

>I have not reinstalled Windows or Office 2007.  I turned my computer off
>yesterday and turned it back on and now will only open in safe mode.
>Trying to not need to format the hard drive and start over.   I haven't
>installed any software in quite a while.
>

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> safetymom wrote:
>>
>>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> I haven't added any new programs.
>>
>> So the only applications that were installed on a *fresh* install of
>> Windows (and not some image for a pre-built computer, like from HP or
>> Dell that include tons of fluff software) were the components included
>> in Microsoft Office 2007?  You did a clean install of Windows followed
>> by an install of Office 2007 and have not installed anything else?  You
>> have absolutely no other applications installed on your host, like
>> anti-virus software?  Have you reviewed the list in the Add/Remove
>> Programs applet?

0
DL
11/15/2009 8:36:33 AM
safetymom

I am confused. Can you please  clear up the following for me. Is it your whole
computer that opens in Safe mode or is it Outlook only not the rest of the computer.

Please let us know

--
Peter

"safetymom" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>I have not reinstalled Windows or Office 2007.  I turned my computer off yesterday
>and turned it back on and now will only open in safe mode.  Trying to not need to
>format the hard drive and start over.   I haven't installed any software in quite a
>while.
>

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message news:hdn6sv$3v5$1@news.albasani.net...
>> safetymom wrote:
>>
>>> VanguardLH wrote ...

>>> I haven't added any new programs.
>>
>> So the only applications that were installed on a *fresh* install of
>> Windows (and not some image for a pre-built computer, like from HP or
>> Dell that include tons of fluff software) were the components included
>> in Microsoft Office 2007?  You did a clean install of Windows followed
>> by an install of Office 2007 and have not installed anything else?  You
>> have absolutely no other applications installed on your host, like
>> anti-virus software?  Have you reviewed the list in the Add/Remove
>> Programs applet?

0
Peter
11/15/2009 12:37:08 PM
It is only Outlook that opens in safe mode.  Everything else is working
fine.

> safetymom
>
> I am confused. Can you please  clear up the following for me. Is it your
> whole computer that opens in Safe mode or is it Outlook only not the rest
> of the computer.
>
> Please let us know
>
> --
> Peter

> "safetymom" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>I have not reinstalled Windows or Office 2007.  I turned my computer off
>>yesterday and turned it back on and now will only open in safe mode.
>>Trying to not need to format the hard drive and start over.   I haven't
>>installed any software in quite a while.
>>

>> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message

>>> So the only applications that were installed on a *fresh* install of
>>> Windows (and not some image for a pre-built computer, like from HP or
>>> Dell that include tons of fluff software) were the components included
>>> in Microsoft Office 2007?  You did a clean install of Windows followed
>>> by an install of Office 2007 and have not installed anything else?  You
>>> have absolutely no other applications installed on your host, like
>>> anti-virus software?  Have you reviewed the list in the Add/Remove
>>> Programs applet?

0
safetymom
11/15/2009 1:01:44 PM
I have disabled everything in startup with msconfig. Still Outlook only
opens in safe mode.

"safetymom" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe
>mode.  What else do I need to try.
>
> Also tried switch /resetnavpane
>
> Thanks.

0
safetymom
11/15/2009 3:31:07 PM
So did you boot the PC into safemode then try Outlook?

>I have disabled everything in startup with msconfig. Still Outlook only
>opens in safe mode.
>

> "safetymom" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>I have tried disabling all the add ins and it still will only open in safe
>>mode.  What else do I need to try.
>>
>> Also tried switch /resetnavpane
>>
>> Thanks.

0
DL
11/15/2009 4:55:06 PM
safetymom wrote:

> I have not reinstalled Windows or Office 2007.  I turned my computer off
> yesterday and turned it back on and now will only open in safe mode.  Trying
> to not need to format the hard drive and start over.   I haven't installed
> any software in quite a while.

All it takes is for an existing application to get updated for users to
report "all of sudden it stopped working".  For example, many users
report no problems with their anti-virus program scanning their e-mails
until "all of a sudden" there are problems with their e-mails.  Turns
out the anti-virus software received a program update (not just a
signature update) and now there is just enough more interference (delay)
by the anti-virus program to cause problems in the e-mail that it is
scanning.  Many users leave the Automatic Updates service left
configured in "download and install" mode which means the state of their
computer changes at-will whenever Microsoft decides to push updates.

To be clear on what add-ons you disabled, where you in Internet Options
under the Programs tab and clicked on Manage Add-ons?  Or did you go
into Outlooks Tools -> Trust Center menu to disable all add-ons AND all
COM plug-ins?  From what I see of a screen capture for OL2007 at:

http://www.camrivox.com/flexor/docs/knowledge_base/en/outlook/startup/images/Outlook_2007_Trust_Center.png

just the add-ins are listed.  I don't see the COM plug-ins listed.
Hopefully they're just piling all the add-ins and COM plug-ins together
in that list.

You might want to try DL's suggestion of rebooting Windows into its Safe
Mode.  That eliminates most startup programs or disables some functions
within them.
0
VanguardLH
11/15/2009 8:49:58 PM
safetymom wrote:

> I have disabled everything in startup with msconfig.

That is NOT the same as starting Windows in its safe mode.  That will
start Windows in its normal mode and with some startup programs not
loaded (but only the ones listed by msconfig yet that isn't all startup
items).

> Still Outlook only opens in safe mode.

Are you using a shortcut to start Outlook?  If so, right-click on the
shortcut and select Properties from the context menu.  What is the
command that gets used to load Outlook?  Does it contain the /safe
parameter?
0
VanguardLH
11/15/2009 8:52:57 PM
I went here
Outlooks Tools -> Trust Center menu to disable all add-ons AND all
COM plug-ins?

I don't have my system set up to do automatic updates and install.  I am
notified when there are updates, I take a look and then decide whether or
not to install them.

It works if I boot into Windows safe mode, I have disabled all programs in
the startup menu of msconfig.

> safetymom wrote:
>
>> I have not reinstalled Windows or Office 2007.  I turned my computer off
>> yesterday and turned it back on and now will only open in safe mode.
>> Trying
>> to not need to format the hard drive and start over.   I haven't
>> installed
>> any software in quite a while.
>
> All it takes is for an existing application to get updated for users to
> report "all of sudden it stopped working".  For example, many users
> report no problems with their anti-virus program scanning their e-mails
> until "all of a sudden" there are problems with their e-mails.  Turns
> out the anti-virus software received a program update (not just a
> signature update) and now there is just enough more interference (delay)
> by the anti-virus program to cause problems in the e-mail that it is
> scanning.  Many users leave the Automatic Updates service left
> configured in "download and install" mode which means the state of their
> computer changes at-will whenever Microsoft decides to push updates.
>
> To be clear on what add-ons you disabled, where you in Internet Options
> under the Programs tab and clicked on Manage Add-ons?  Or did you go
> into Outlooks Tools -> Trust Center menu to disable all add-ons AND all
> COM plug-ins?  From what I see of a screen capture for OL2007 at:
>
> http://www.camrivox.com/flexor/docs/knowledge_base/en/outlook/startup/images/Outlook_2007_Trust_Center.png
>
> just the add-ins are listed.  I don't see the COM plug-ins listed.
> Hopefully they're just piling all the add-ins and COM plug-ins together
> in that list.
>
> You might want to try DL's suggestion of rebooting Windows into its Safe
> Mode.  That eliminates most startup programs or disables some functions
> within them.

0
safetymom
11/15/2009 10:18:07 PM
I am going to run outlook.exe /safe to start Outlook.

It runs correctly in windows safe mode. I have disabled everything in
Windows startup.

> safetymom wrote:
>
>> I have disabled everything in startup with msconfig.
>
> That is NOT the same as starting Windows in its safe mode.  That will
> start Windows in its normal mode and with some startup programs not
> loaded (but only the ones listed by msconfig yet that isn't all startup
> items).
>
>> Still Outlook only opens in safe mode.
>
> Are you using a shortcut to start Outlook?  If so, right-click on the
> shortcut and select Properties from the context menu.  What is the
> command that gets used to load Outlook?  Does it contain the /safe
> parameter?

0
safetymom
11/15/2009 10:20:34 PM
safetymom wrote:

> It works if I boot into Windows safe mode, I have disabled all programs in
> the startup menu of msconfig.

Aha.  So something that loads either during Windows startup or when you
login is causing the problem.  Did the problem remain gone when you
disabled all startup items in msconfig but rebooted into normal mode for
Windows?

If the problem goes away by disabling all items in msconfig and
rebooting into normal mode for Windows then you'll have to zero in on
which startup item is causing the problem.  You could enable them one at
a time and reboot to retest.  When the problem reappears, the just
previously reenabled item is the culprit.  If you have lots of startup
items, you could halve your way through them.  Disable half, reboot into
normal mode, and retest.  If the problem is still gone, reenable the
disabled one and disable the one that had been left enabled.  Now the
problem should reappear.  Then halve your way again through that half of
the original list.  Halving your way through 2 dozen startup items would
take about 7 reboots versus having to do 24 reboots to retest after
reenabling them one at a time.  Of course, there may be some really
obvious choices as to what should get disabled to see if they cause the
problem.
0
VanguardLH
11/15/2009 11:17:37 PM
safetymom wrote:

> I am going to run outlook.exe /safe to start Outlook.

If that is what you always run (whether manually or for the command in a
shortcut) then obviously Outlook will always load in its safe mode.  You
told it to.

Have you ever ran just outlook.exe to load Outlook?
0
VanguardLH
11/15/2009 11:19:33 PM
Yes I have tried just outlook.exe at the run command and it will not open.
All the startup items are disabled when I boot normally and Outlook will not
open.

> safetymom wrote:
>
>> I am going to run outlook.exe /safe to start Outlook.
>
> If that is what you always run (whether manually or for the command in a
> shortcut) then obviously Outlook will always load in its safe mode.  You
> told it to.
>
> Have you ever ran just outlook.exe to load Outlook?

0
safetymom
11/15/2009 11:42:07 PM
safetymom wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> safetymom wrote:
>>
>>> I am going to run outlook.exe /safe to start Outlook.
>>
>> If that is what you always run (whether manually or for the command in a
>> shortcut) then obviously Outlook will always load in its safe mode.  You
>> told it to.
>>
>> Have you ever ran just outlook.exe to load Outlook?
>
> Yes I have tried just outlook.exe at the run command and it will not open.
> All the startup items are disabled when I boot normally and Outlook will not
> open.

Alas, msconfig only lists the common startup locations.  That means not
all startup items may be listed in msconfig.  You have to use a more
robust utility, like SysInternals' AutoRuns (now owned by Microsoft).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

For example, msconfig will not list the WinLogin events that can start
processes at that point or list the logon scripts that might be
specified for your account.

You said that Outlook will load normally if you boot into Windows' safe
mode.  Outlook won't load normally and only in safe mode if you disable
all startup items but start Windows in its normal mode.  If AutoRuns
doesn't show more startup items that could be the cause (because they
aren't listed in msconfig for you to disable), it is possible something
is buried into the working of Windows that only starting Windows in its
safe mode had it disable itself under that environment and why Outlook
then runs okay.  For example, anti-virus and other security software can
insert their own handler in the stack for Windows TCP and Windows' safe
mode won't alter that.  What security programs are installed on your
host (anti-virus, 3rd party firewall, anti-spam, anti-malware, etc)?
Have you tried uninstalling whatever anti-virus software you are using?

Have you performed an update to your anti-virus program and then ran a
full scan of all drives on your host?  What anti-virus and anti-malware
programs do you use?

Have you ever tried to repair Outlook (it's under the Help menu)?  You
will probably need the Office installation CD for the repair.
0
VanguardLH

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

making boxplot in excel 2007
Hey. Got a problem on making a boxplot in excel 2007. I used to make excel 2003 to make the boxplot, but now I have the 2007 edition. I learned from my teacher that I need to use the "High-Low-lines" and the "Up/down-bars" to make the boxplot. The problem is that when I made the "Up/down-bars" it will cover the data-points so I can't see median ect. Is there anyway to change the order of the chart-figures like to show the data-point at the top, the up/down-bars in the middle and the high-low-lines at the bottom just like when u change the order of several...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

documents created with microsoft office publisher 2007 trial versi
recently i created a few documents with microsoft office publisher 2007 duriing a free trial period that recently expired. i can access the documents but i can't do anything with them, is there anyway to open them with my 2003 version of microsoft office? If you have Publisher 2002 or 03 you can open the files. You may be able to recover the text in Word. Try a print screen if you really need the file. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "thomas" <thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F703554-FE98-466D-A839-6102CA009EA7@microsoft.com... > re...

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

outlook to outlook express #4
Hi, I am hoping there is away to import all my Outlook Express settings inc address book, messages and files in all local folders to Outlook 2003. I am using Outlook Express 6 When I start to install Outlook 2003 it asks if I want to Configure an email account... I stopped there afraid I would lose all my settings from Express. Any and all help would be appreciated I think you say no to that dialog and then you will get prompted about importing from OE. (Even if you say yes, it won't go delete anything out of OE.) "Manny" <manny_is@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...

IE8 won't open
I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers. Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything. Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does, it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it. Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I must reset it usually each time. Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting suggestions. Jim wrote: > I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.=20 > Possible virus but McAfee does not show ...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...