Outlook 2007: Text Box Entry for Categories?

My department is migrating from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. I am
piloting 2007 and am struggling with categories.

We use many categories for our shared mailbox. Every incoming mail
item is categorized using one or more categories. Because of the large
number of categories and how often they change, most of us are used to
just typing them into the text entry box. For instance, a mail item
may be categorized as "parts, chrysler, z01112008," the z-number
indicating a delivery date. That's what we type in the text box.

Once categorized, management can then filter by category to see how
many items were received for parts, of for that delivery date, etc.

In Outlook 2007 there is no text box. Trying to use categories that
don't exist is cumbersome, and, once defined, even clicking categories
from a hundred or so choices is more work than just typing them in.

Is there a solution to use text box entry? Or do I need to write VBA
code and forms?

-Laurens de Jong, from Detroit, MI.

Right click on the message in the message list and choose Message options.
Or on an open message,  expand the options dialog - use the little flyout
arrow in the lower right under categories/followup/mark as read buttons.

Also, one of the tools at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.asp may
help.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

<laurensdejong@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My department is migrating from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. I am
> piloting 2007 and am struggling with categories.
>
> We use many categories for our shared mailbox. Every incoming mail
> item is categorized using one or more categories. Because of the large
> number of categories and how often they change, most of us are used to
> just typing them into the text entry box. For instance, a mail item
> may be categorized as "parts, chrysler, z01112008," the z-number
> indicating a delivery date. That's what we type in the text box.
>
> Once categorized, management can then filter by category to see how
> many items were received for parts, of for that delivery date, etc.
>
> In Outlook 2007 there is no text box. Trying to use categories that
> don't exist is cumbersome, and, once defined, even clicking categories
> from a hundred or so choices is more work than just typing them in.
>
> Is there a solution to use text box entry? Or do I need to write VBA
> code and forms?
>
> -Laurens de Jong, from Detroit, MI.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
10/1/2008 5:28:57 PM
The Categories control in the Message Options dialog works off the pick list.
It's not a text box that accepts typing.

I've been able to get a form region solution to work on individual open
items -- just an .ofs file, an .xml file, and an added value in the Windows
registry. If the requirement is to be able to input categories from an item
selected in a folder, however, that would require an add-in. (There's no
good, supported distribution method for VBA code.)
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> Right click on the message in the message list and choose Message options.
> Or on an open message,  expand the options dialog - use the little flyout
> arrow in the lower right under categories/followup/mark as read buttons.
>
> Also, one of the tools at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.asp may
> help.
>
> <laurensdejong@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > My department is migrating from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. I am
> > piloting 2007 and am struggling with categories.
> >
> > We use many categories for our shared mailbox. Every incoming mail
> > item is categorized using one or more categories. Because of the large
> > number of categories and how often they change, most of us are used to
> > just typing them into the text entry box. For instance, a mail item
> > may be categorized as "parts, chrysler, z01112008," the z-number
> > indicating a delivery date. That's what we type in the text box.
> >
> > Once categorized, management can then filter by category to see how
> > many items were received for parts, of for that delivery date, etc.
> >
> > In Outlook 2007 there is no text box. Trying to use categories that
> > don't exist is cumbersome, and, once defined, even clicking categories
> > from a hundred or so choices is more work than just typing them in.
> >
> > Is there a solution to use text box entry? Or do I need to write VBA
> > code and forms?
> >
> > -Laurens de Jong, from Detroit, MI.

0
suemvp (4038)
10/1/2008 7:34:08 PM
It was easy enough to implement the form region that I've posted the
necessary elements, along with instructions at
http://outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=73 . Note that because it's just two
files and a registry value, such a region could be deployed using the same
techniques that an organization would normally use for desktop deployments.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> The Categories control in the Message Options dialog works off the pick list.
> It's not a text box that accepts typing.
>
> I've been able to get a form region solution to work on individual open
> items -- just an .ofs file, an .xml file, and an added value in the Windows
> registry. If the requirement is to be able to input categories from an item
> selected in a folder, however, that would require an add-in. (There's no
> good, supported distribution method for VBA code.)
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Right click on the message in the message list and choose Message options.
> > Or on an open message,  expand the options dialog - use the little flyout
> > arrow in the lower right under categories/followup/mark as read buttons.
> >
> > Also, one of the tools at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.asp may
> > help.
> >
> > <laurensdejong@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > My department is migrating from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. I am
> > > piloting 2007 and am struggling with categories.
> > >
> > > We use many categories for our shared mailbox. Every incoming mail
> > > item is categorized using one or more categories. Because of the large
> > > number of categories and how often they change, most of us are used to
> > > just typing them into the text entry box. For instance, a mail item
> > > may be categorized as "parts, chrysler, z01112008," the z-number
> > > indicating a delivery date. That's what we type in the text box.
> > >
> > > Once categorized, management can then filter by category to see how
> > > many items were received for parts, of for that delivery date, etc.
> > >
> > > In Outlook 2007 there is no text box. Trying to use categories that
> > > don't exist is cumbersome, and, once defined, even clicking categories
> > > from a hundred or so choices is more work than just typing them in.
> > >
> > > Is there a solution to use text box entry? Or do I need to write VBA
> > > code and forms?
> > >
> > > -Laurens de Jong, from Detroit, MI.

0
suemvp (4038)
10/1/2008 8:14:10 PM
On Oct 1, 3:34=A0pm, Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] <sue...@outlookcode.com>
wrote:
> I've been able to get a form region solution to work on individual open
> items -- just an .ofs file, an .xml file, and an added value in the Windo=
ws
> registry.

That looks promising, Sue. Thanks. I've downloaded the zip from the
address in your later message.

> If the requirement is to be able to input categories from an item
> selected in a folder, however, that would require an add-in. (There's no
> good, supported distribution method for VBA code.)

You mean that once I write the code there is no good way to send it to
the rest of the department? That is no object. If you think it can be
done with VBA, I'll take a stab at it.

-Laurens de Jong, from Detroit, MI.
You might want to read the article at
http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=28 on the pitfalls of trying to
distribute VBA code.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"laurensdejong@gmail.com" wrote:

> You mean that once I write the code there is no good way to send it to
> the rest of the department? That is no object. If you think it can be
> done with VBA, I'll take a stab at it.

0
suemvp (4038)
10/1/2008 8:53:05 PM
On Oct 1, 4:53=A0pm, Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] <sue...@outlookcode.com>
wrote:
> You might want to read the article athttp://www.outlookcode.com/article.a=
spx?id=3D28on the pitfalls of trying to
> distribute VBA code.

A good read, as always. In my case, I'm lucky: everyone in my
department is a VBA programmer. I just tell them to use my code. :) We
share a lot of code.

But the form region solution works adequately. I've been using it
today and I like being able to type in the categories as I read the
message. Thanks again!

-Laurens de Jong, from Detroit, MI.

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Combo Box Question
I have an Access Database with a form on it that has 3 combo boxes 1 Flex grid and 1 list box. The combo boxes display specific data based on a user selection in the flex grid or the list box. the flex grid shows current appointments and the list box shows cancelled appointments. The combo boxes show the detail of the appointment. If the user selects an item in the flex grid the combo boxes populate correctly if the user selects an item in the listbox the combo boxes error. Both click events use the same VBA Subroutine to populate the combo boxes using a recordset the only differ...

making boxplot in excel 2007
Hey. Got a problem on making a boxplot in excel 2007. I used to make excel 2003 to make the boxplot, but now I have the 2007 edition. I learned from my teacher that I need to use the "High-Low-lines" and the "Up/down-bars" to make the boxplot. The problem is that when I made the "Up/down-bars" it will cover the data-points so I can't see median ect. Is there anyway to change the order of the chart-figures like to show the data-point at the top, the up/down-bars in the middle and the high-low-lines at the bottom just like when u change the order of several...

Sizing of CLISTCTRL boxes
I've created a CLISTCTRL using the expert. [So the sizing is in the RC file]. Then I add 4 headers, and the appropriate data. [This is with the REPORT setting]. The problem is that either the box enclosing is too small, and the last column is clipped [but visible with a scroll bar], or an EXTRA column is visible. I can play around with the sizing, and make it look right, but when another user tries running the app [with a different display resolution], things break. How do attach the right hand column to the box?? Thanks, Ihor Kinal You could figure out the exact size, but I typicall...

More combo box help
I have posted here before with the same inquiry. However, none of the suggestions seem to be working for me. I am sure it is because of how I stated my request. Pleas indulge me as I try to state it again. I have a table that is updated via a form based on the table. I have a combo box on the form with the following columns: SupplierName, SupplierNumber with matching column in the table. I am able to select the supplier name and have the supplier number auto populate in the supplier # field on the form. The problem I am experiencing is that only the supplier number is saved in the tabl...

Excel 2002: how to incr font size in option button text
In the Properties of the button, select the right pane of the Font line, dropdown the ... and select the font and size required. jdm1051 Wrote: > -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395719 If it's an option button from the Forms toolbar, you can't change the font size. If it's an option button from the Control toolbox: On the Control toolbox, click ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

documents created with microsoft office publisher 2007 trial versi
recently i created a few documents with microsoft office publisher 2007 duriing a free trial period that recently expired. i can access the documents but i can't do anything with them, is there anyway to open them with my 2003 version of microsoft office? If you have Publisher 2002 or 03 you can open the files. You may be able to recover the text in Word. Try a print screen if you really need the file. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "thomas" <thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F703554-FE98-466D-A839-6102CA009EA7@microsoft.com... > re...

Add a warning box if you remove "user" role
Business Portal security is built around "roles". There is a built-in role called "user". In Business Portal version 3.0, you can remove a user from the role called "user". However, if you do so, much of the program will automatically start to fail. Many of the queries and/or web parts do not work, even if the user is assigned other roles like "sales manager". Because of this special "user" role, the software should be changed so that if someone tries to remove a user from this "user" role, a warning/message box shoul...

Opening Outlook

SOP Sales Transaction Entry Window
Dear Folks, I have noticed that i couldn't choose/select a salesman Id from Sales Transaction Entry Window (Transactions-> Sales -> Sales Transaction Entry). In my case for every Invoice i have to select a Diffierent Sales man ID. Could any one help me how can i enable this. BUT IT IS AVAILABLE IN Transaction Entry Window which we use without inventory module (Transactions-> Sales -> Transaction Entry Window) Awaiting for your favourable feedback. You can find that field by clicking on the customer number expansion button to the right of the customer number field. Thi...

Receiveng garbage instead of mail text or attachments in OL2003
I have Outlook 2003 on a Win2K Pro box. A friend has Outlook 2003 in a Windows Vista Business box. I ONLY send mail in text form (Ido not use HTML or Outllok Rich text format). He gets my mails in raw form (Spanish Outlook both): ********************** -----Mensaje original----- De: xxxxxx [mailto:xxx@xxxxx] Enviado el: martes, 10 de febrero de 2009 12:03 p.m. Asunto: Desacople del Generador Return-Path: <xxxxxx@xxxxxx> Delivered-To: wwwwwwwww@xxxxxx Received: (qmail 44010 invoked by uid 88); 10 Feb 2009 14:24:44 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO XXXXXX) (xx.xx.xx.xx) by XXXXXXXXX wit...

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

Library entries to background music
My library is a mess, I'll admit that. But I can't figure out how to get songs from the library into the background music for slide shows, web pages, etc. I have several folders in my "Music" section, but not all. I am assuming they have to be in folders, not in the library, for use in this manner. Thanks. CarolT The library is merely a different 'view' of the music files on the hard drive, and you indeed need to know in which folder the files are on the hard drive to use them in other applications. In WMP's library, you can right-click a ...

outlook and links in emails