Outlook 2007 not saving email passwords

Windows XP
This issue has been dealt with using all the "known" methods to no avail.
Outlook has been removed and reinstalled.
Before reinstalling it, Outlook Express was set up and IT keeps the
passwords fine.
After reinstalling it, the same issue remains.

Immediately after typing in the account information, clicking on the Test
Account Settings brings up the dialog asking for the password as if it had
never been typed in at all.

Any good suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred

0
fmarshallx (39)

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message

> This issue has been dealt with using all the "known" methods to no avail.

Known to you, perhaps, but not necessarily all know methods.  Please tell us
what methods you've used so we can suggest any you may not know.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
2/19/2009 1:01:53 PM
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>
>> This issue has been dealt with using all the "known" methods to no
>> avail.
>
> Known to you, perhaps, but not necessarily all know methods.  Please
> tell us what methods you've used so we can suggest any you may not
> know.

OK.

Set up a new Profile.  No change.

Edited the registry in a couple of areas.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
set Incompatibility Level to various levels with no affect.
But I think this doesn't have to do with *email* passwords.....
- Removed the identity from Protected Storage System with no affect.
But, I understand this doesn't apply to Outlook 2007.

Assured that Office 2007 SP1 is installed.

Still getting the same results.

When I enter a new email account, the Test Settings button immediately
causes the dialog to open that asks for the password.  So, it's as if it's
not being recorded whatsoever!!

I hope this helps.

Fred

0
fmarshallx (39)
2/21/2009 1:32:00 AM
Also uninstalled / reinstalled Office 2007

Confirmed install of Office 2007 SP1

0
fmarshallx (39)
2/21/2009 7:34:36 AM

> When I enter a new email account, the Test Settings button immediately
> causes the dialog to open that asks for the password.  So, it's as if it's
> not being recorded whatsoever!!

What type of account?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
2/23/2009 12:51:18 PM
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>
>> When I enter a new email account, the Test Settings button
>> immediately causes the dialog to open that asks for the password. So,
>> it's as if it's not being recorded whatsoever!!
>
> What type of account?

It's an administrator type user's pop account.

0
fmarshallx (39)
2/28/2009 1:27:24 AM

> It's an administrator type user's pop account.

Take a look at these:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236032
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/thread/94fa225d8f9a438a
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
3/2/2009 12:59:06 PM
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>
>> It's an administrator type user's pop account.
>
> Take a look at these:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236032
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/thread/94fa225d8f9a438a

Brian,

The google groups thread allowed me to fix the password problem!  However,
Outlook then refused to Send/Receive mail.  Sometimes there's a message
like:

The operation failed to complete.  Parameters are invalid.......

Testing the accounts seems to work and the messages do go out - as confirmed
using Outlook Express on the same computer.  But Outlook Send/Receive
results in no activity at all.

Thanks,

Fred

0
fmarshallx (39)
3/28/2009 12:38:05 AM
Brian,

This is a very valuable solution - it was hard to find!  Thanks for your
help with it.  As in my earlier message, I'm still dealing with Outlook.  In
the mean time, I thought I'd comment on this thread:

 http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/thread/94fa225d8f9a438aThe one thing that wasn't clear to me - and I resolved by looking at otherentries in the registry - is whether the fix is referring to "keys" or"strings" or ..... ?At first, I added keys to the keys and then strings to the new keys.Later, I decided that the idea was to add strings to the keys and no newkeys.I hope this makes sense - as I'm not sure I'm using the best terminology.Thanks again,Fred

0
fmarshallx (39)
3/28/2009 5:40:19 PM

> The google groups thread allowed me to fix the password problem!  However,
> Outlook then refused to Send/Receive mail.  Sometimes there's a message
> like:
>
> The operation failed to complete.  Parameters are invalid.......

Have you tried a new mail profile?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
3/30/2009 11:41:02 AM

> The one thing that wasn't clear to me - and I resolved by looking at
> otherentries in the registry - is whether the fix is referring to "keys"
> or"strings" or ..... ?At first, I added keys to the keys and then
> strings to the new keys.Later, I decided that the idea was to add strings to
> the keys and no newkeys.
> I hope this makes sense - as I'm not sure I'm using the best
> terminology.Thanks again,Fred

I'm not sure of the best terminology either, but I count anything in the
registry that can "contain" something a "key".    In my definition, a key can
be a node in a registry path, such as "User Shell Folders", or it can be a
container that holds a value, like the key "AppData" whose value is
"%UserProfile%\Application Data".  Whether this is correct terminology or not,
however, I don't know.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
3/30/2009 12:34:42 PM
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>
>> The google groups thread allowed me to fix the password problem! However,
>> Outlook then refused to Send/Receive mail.  Sometimes
>> there's a message like:
>>
>> The operation failed to complete.  Parameters are invalid.......
>
> Have you tried a new mail profile?

Brian,

We tried everything we could drag up.

Finally reinstalled Windows and then Office.  I'm rather convinced that the
OS had been compromised somehow and wasn't going to respond in normal ways
when least expected.

Thanks,

Fred

0
fmarshallx (39)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

making boxplot in excel 2007
Hey. Got a problem on making a boxplot in excel 2007. I used to make excel 2003 to make the boxplot, but now I have the 2007 edition. I learned from my teacher that I need to use the "High-Low-lines" and the "Up/down-bars" to make the boxplot. The problem is that when I made the "Up/down-bars" it will cover the data-points so I can't see median ect. Is there anyway to change the order of the chart-figures like to show the data-point at the top, the up/down-bars in the middle and the high-low-lines at the bottom just like when u change the order of several...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

documents created with microsoft office publisher 2007 trial versi
recently i created a few documents with microsoft office publisher 2007 duriing a free trial period that recently expired. i can access the documents but i can't do anything with them, is there anyway to open them with my 2003 version of microsoft office? If you have Publisher 2002 or 03 you can open the files. You may be able to recover the text in Word. Try a print screen if you really need the file. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "thomas" <thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F703554-FE98-466D-A839-6102CA009EA7@microsoft.com... > re...

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

GP 9 new user cannot change password
We're testing the upgrade from 7 to 9, and in our 9 database, I added a new user but the user cannot change the password. I checked my ODBC settings and everything is unchecked, &c. Can anyone tihnk of anything else? I've read the other posts on this subject and tried everything suggested, to no avail. Does the new user have rights to any company? Visit us at Convergence in San Diego -- booth 624. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at http://www.AccoladePub...

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Email body arrives as attachment
Hi We are receiving a number of emails which are mostly replies where the email body is added as an attachment. I can only think this is being caused by antivirus systems on other peoples email servers, a fact that I am trying to check, however would welcome any suggestions. This is a new problem that has only kicked in today. The server did run out of disk space this morning but that has been resolved (the backup failed and did not remove the logs). thanks in advance ...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...