Outlook 2003 with active VPN connection not sending

When I have at VPN connection open, I'm finding that Outlook refuses to send 
any email out.  How do I fix this (besides closing my VPN connection each 
time I want to send/receive!)

As a side note:
I've noticed other gimpiness with it too relating to packet fragmentation, 
where my mail would bounce for no reason.  I had to change my MTU to fix 
that.  Why is Outlook seemingly so sensitive to network configuration? 
Outlook Express does not seem to have these limitations.  Is this some kind 
of negative feature introduced with this version of the product?  Should I 
go back to my older version?  I don't use most of the fancy features 
anyways. 


0
1/9/2006 9:50:43 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

4 Replies
522 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 49

no takers?

"John Richardson" <j3richardson@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:Oq$i$aWFGHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> When I have at VPN connection open, I'm finding that Outlook refuses to 
> send any email out.  How do I fix this (besides closing my VPN connection 
> each time I want to send/receive!)
>
> As a side note:
> I've noticed other gimpiness with it too relating to packet fragmentation, 
> where my mail would bounce for no reason.  I had to change my MTU to fix 
> that.  Why is Outlook seemingly so sensitive to network configuration? 
> Outlook Express does not seem to have these limitations.  Is this some 
> kind of negative feature introduced with this version of the product? 
> Should I go back to my older version?  I don't use most of the fancy 
> features anyways.
> 


0
1/16/2006 7:11:48 PM
John,

Is the Outlook associated to the VPN connection. For example, are you using 
your works Outlook and then using VPN to connect to their network to be able 
to use the full client Outlook.  The reason I ask is because of your 
question if the Outlook is sensitive to network limitations.  There are 
various times of network configuration but lets address the issue with VPN. 
What I commonly see with VPN and Outlook is that the connection is not 
strong enough to allow for a strong network connection.  This will happen if 
sinning VPN over dial-up or on wireless, even though your connection shows 
strong it can "drop packets" causing small but noticeable connectivity 
issues with Outlook.

One thing to note this can be Outlook or a VPN issue or even a network 
issues. The following may of assistance.
First directly connect to your cable or DSL modem to ensure a stronger 
connection.  Test to see if the helps doing the send/receive

If not, check to make sure the send/receive option is setup correctly.  If 
yes, rename you offline file .ost to .ost1 to force Outlook to create a new 
one .ost file.

Still and issue- I would check your VPN setup a new one may need to be 
created but typically this is more of a network latency or Outlook issues, 
to make sure it is functioning properly.

Finally, if all the above is checked may need to create Outlook profile.

Hope this helps for at least a beginning step - there are lot items 
mentioned because of there are various possible issues that can cause it.

Also, make sure your Outlook is not offline on Outlook 2003 - in bottom 
right-hand corner.

Regards,

-- 
Francine Otterson
President, San Diego Outlook User Group
"John Richardson" <j3richardson@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:OsKuxCtGGHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> no takers?
>
> "John Richardson" <j3richardson@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:Oq$i$aWFGHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> When I have at VPN connection open, I'm finding that Outlook refuses to 
>> send any email out.  How do I fix this (besides closing my VPN connection 
>> each time I want to send/receive!)
>>
>> As a side note:
>> I've noticed other gimpiness with it too relating to packet 
>> fragmentation, where my mail would bounce for no reason.  I had to change 
>> my MTU to fix that.  Why is Outlook seemingly so sensitive to network 
>> configuration? Outlook Express does not seem to have these limitations. 
>> Is this some kind of negative feature introduced with this version of the 
>> product? Should I go back to my older version?  I don't use most of the 
>> fancy features anyways.
>>
>
> 


0
outlook3306 (110)
1/17/2006 2:31:56 PM
This is a really late reply, but hopefully you are still checking this... :)

The VPN connection I am talking about here is not related to my mail 
settings.  I work remotely by VPN, but connect to my SMTP servers directly. 
Basically, my mail SEND/RECEIVE works fine when I am not working remotely. 
When I connect in by VPN to my work, any emails I send sit in my OUTBOX 
until I disconnect from the VPN, and then Outlook can find the SMTP server, 
and send my mail.  This is incredibly irritating for obvious reasons, since 
to send my mail, I have to stop everything, disconnect, send, reconnect, 
repeat as desired.

There seems to be a lot of evidence that this is not a network connectivity 
issue, although I am over Wireless here.  To add to this, Outlook Express 
works fine while the VPN is connected and with incorrect MTU network 
settings  (which really surprises me, since I'd assume they'd both use the 
same basic mail engine).

Your response seems more geared to assuming I'm using Exchange or something, 
but these problems are all Personal Email related with very simple settings. 
And Outlook Express works totally fine where Outlook is failing.

My Outlook seems kinda buggy, too, since I can crash it consistently with 
one mouse click during the first send and receive, so perhaps these things 
are related.  A re-install did not solve it, so it must be some DLL tucked 
away somewhere causing the problem.  I wonder if MS has a support system for 
solving these issues?

J


"Francine Otterson" <outlook@sdnetweb.com> wrote in message 
news:OWCXGL3GGHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> John,
>
> Is the Outlook associated to the VPN connection. For example, are you 
> using your works Outlook and then using VPN to connect to their network to 
> be able to use the full client Outlook.  The reason I ask is because of 
> your question if the Outlook is sensitive to network limitations.  There 
> are various times of network configuration but lets address the issue with 
> VPN. What I commonly see with VPN and Outlook is that the connection is 
> not strong enough to allow for a strong network connection.  This will 
> happen if sinning VPN over dial-up or on wireless, even though your 
> connection shows strong it can "drop packets" causing small but noticeable 
> connectivity issues with Outlook.
>
> One thing to note this can be Outlook or a VPN issue or even a network 
> issues. The following may of assistance.
> First directly connect to your cable or DSL modem to ensure a stronger 
> connection.  Test to see if the helps doing the send/receive
>
> If not, check to make sure the send/receive option is setup correctly.  If 
> yes, rename you offline file .ost to .ost1 to force Outlook to create a 
> new one .ost file.
>
> Still and issue- I would check your VPN setup a new one may need to be 
> created but typically this is more of a network latency or Outlook issues, 
> to make sure it is functioning properly.
>
> Finally, if all the above is checked may need to create Outlook profile.
>
> Hope this helps for at least a beginning step - there are lot items 
> mentioned because of there are various possible issues that can cause it.
>
> Also, make sure your Outlook is not offline on Outlook 2003 - in bottom 
> right-hand corner.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- 
> Francine Otterson
> President, San Diego Outlook User Group
> "John Richardson" <j3richardson@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:OsKuxCtGGHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> no takers?
>>
>> "John Richardson" <j3richardson@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
>> news:Oq$i$aWFGHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>> When I have at VPN connection open, I'm finding that Outlook refuses to 
>>> send any email out.  How do I fix this (besides closing my VPN 
>>> connection each time I want to send/receive!)
>>>
>>> As a side note:
>>> I've noticed other gimpiness with it too relating to packet 
>>> fragmentation, where my mail would bounce for no reason.  I had to 
>>> change my MTU to fix that.  Why is Outlook seemingly so sensitive to 
>>> network configuration? Outlook Express does not seem to have these 
>>> limitations. Is this some kind of negative feature introduced with this 
>>> version of the product? Should I go back to my older version?  I don't 
>>> use most of the fancy features anyways.
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
2/10/2006 6:38:02 PM
John Richardson <j3richardson@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The VPN connection I am talking about here is not related to my mail
> settings.  I work remotely by VPN, but connect to my SMTP servers
> directly. Basically, my mail SEND/RECEIVE works fine when I am not
> working remotely. When I connect in by VPN to my work, any emails I
> send sit in my OUTBOX until I disconnect from the VPN, and then
> Outlook can find the SMTP server, and send my mail.  This is
> incredibly irritating for obvious reasons, since to send my mail, I
> have to stop everything, disconnect, send, reconnect, repeat as
> desired.

While it may be irritating, it's EXACTLY how many VPNs are supposed to work. 
When you're using a VPN to connect to your work, your networking attributes 
are modified by the VPN client to disallow connection to any other network. 
When you're using a VPN, you are on your company's network and whatever 
rules they have in place apply to your machine.  Thus, if you can't access 
an outside SMTP server from work, you won't be able to access it from your 
homw PC while connected to your work.  This allows the work network to 
remain inviolate.

> There seems to be a lot of evidence that this is not a network
> connectivity issue, although I am over Wireless here.  To add to
> this, Outlook Express works fine while the VPN is connected and with
> incorrect MTU network settings  (which really surprises me, since I'd
> assume they'd both use the same basic mail engine).

This surprises me.  I would expect Outlook Express to not work.  You're 
incorrect in your assumption that Outlook and Outlook Express use the same 
mail engine, however.
-- 
Brian Tillman 

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/11/2006 5:37:52 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook with Outlook Express ?
Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using Outlook Express? Thanks. Talal Itani No. But you can do it vice versa. "Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message news:TXaXh.4742$Fc1.4027@trnddc05... > > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? > > Thanks. > Talal Itani > Talal Itani <titani@verizon.net> wrote: > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? No, but you could open the Outlook Contact, select the e...

Why does Outlook access contacts twice at start up?
When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) Dave Clewlow;111740 Wrote: > When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to > allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) What is the exact text of the error or prompt and what type of account are you using? -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] -- http://forums.slipstick.com What add-ins are installed? It sounds like you have two that want to access your contacts. -- Diane P...

I am unable to activate a 2nd account in Outlook
My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "55trojan" wrote: > My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. ...

Importing old Outlook contact data into new Outlook personal fold
Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no recent backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery outfit rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered drive. I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst fol...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07
Is there a way to point CRM contacts to a different folder in Outlook durring sink? ...

Outlook freezes up
I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and installed all the updates that were made since SP1 and then done the same for Office Updates. One of the updates SP1 downloaded and then quit the install telling me to download again and try to reinstall. When I go to down load it says the file is already downloaded... Where is it and how can I fix this problem? Thanks, Fred >-----Original Message----- >I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. >After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and install...

Outlook & Entourage
Hi All, I have Exchange 2007 server. I have a client. I setup Outlook in Dell PC and Entourage in his MAC PC. I have a problem now. When he checked Sent Items from Outlook, there just only have old sent emails which he sent on 2008 and he said that he has already deleted them. On Entourage, in Sent Items, there are emails which is he sent out recently, it shows correctly. Is anybody know why? Is there any tools which I could use for checking user's sent email box to see how many emails or email details are there from Exchange 2007? Thanks in advance, --qq "...

Outlook *.pst import to Outlook Web Access???
I am wondering if there is a way to import my Personal Folder.pst into Outlook Web Access application? JimC No, that's not possible, because OWA is a browser application. It knows = nothing about files on your hard drive.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "JimC2007" <JimC2007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Opening Outlook
I can't open Outlook. Outlook Express is fine. I get the message "Unable to open your default folders. Outlook could not open because a location to send and receive e-mail could not be found. To add a location open the 'Mail' icon in control panel. I've looked in the 'mail' and I have 'none' in the delivery section and no apparent means of adding one. Help Search your hard drive for all files with a .PST extension. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you'll need to enable searching in hidden and system folders to find all possible .PST fi...

gridlines in outlook?
im trying to make outlook print gridlines. i copy a piece of an exce worksheet into an outlook email. the gridlines appear ok. but when i g to print- they dont appear on the preview or the print out. what do i need to do to make them visible ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Please Help with Outlook Journal (Outlook 2002)
The journal is very important to me but it doesn't seem to be working. A) The contact list only displays 1/3 of my contacts (A-I) B) When I do check one of those boxes to track a contact, nothing automatically appears in the journal please help thanks in advance that dialog is a PITA. :) Go to the contacts folder and choose the phone list view from view, current view (or the advanced toolbar's current view selector) one of the last fields is Journal. Add and remove checks to that column to change the journal status. If you make a custom view that groups by journal field yo...

can't create rules in outlook
When I try to create rules in outlook, I get a message which says the rule can't be created and to check my folder permissions. If I go through the wizard, I can create them successfully. It is really frustrating, because most of what I want to create would be simple to create with the create button. I'm the only user on this machine. It is running Windows XP pro and I'm the admin. I'm using Outlook 2002. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Anne ...

select name box freezes Outlook
Outlook 2002 sp2 XP Pro When I click the To: button, the select names window opens. I cannot select any names as Outlook freezes completely. I have to close the entire program through Ctl Alt Del. I used the cd to do a fix and repair, but it did not fix or repair the problem. Any solutions or suggestions are appreciated. Jerry ...

outlook 2002
Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered it's extended support phase" can anyone help please Many thanks On 5/7/2010 7:13 AM, CAH wrote: > Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " > microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered > it's extended support phase" > can anyone help please Many thanks You will need to ask this question in a group specific t...

outlook and links in emails
hi all, maybe someone knows... when i receive an email with a HTML link in it, is there any way (when i click on it) to make outlook open this using the inbuilt browser instead of it opening into IE? I am using office 2002 (=XP). regards, piotr The "in-built" browser IS Internet Explorer. What is it you are trying to accomplish? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Llama ...

Outlook XP and attachments
I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook XP, I also receive attachments. If I retrieve the message with Outlook Express 6.0, the attachmente deos not come through. What am I doing wrong? how do I correct the problem?? Thanks andrea <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. > > I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I > retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook > XP, I als...

Connect to SQL Express 2008 on local machine
Hi all, I am trying to link an Access Database to a SQLExpress 2008 database on my own machine. I can create a DSN that can see, and link to, the System databases (using Windows Authentication), but it can't see / connect to the database that I have created. Do I have to give myself specific permissions to my new database? Thanks - Ray You're lucky. I can't even get Access to connect to sql server at all. I tried with Access XP and sql server 2008, but Access throws a canary and tells me only sql server 2000 databases or earlier are supported. I also tried using Access ...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003
I've setup my Exchange 2010 server with my email address policies. Of course there are some acceptions to the rules. I've made changes to those accounts in the EMC under Recipient Configuration | Mailbox. I edit the account under the "E-Mail Addresses" tab by adding the diffrent email address, unchecking the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy", then click the "Set as Reply" button. If I fire up Outlook 2010, start to compose an email and select that person from the GAL, it will have the correct email addres...

Outlook 2007
Every time I go to Tasks the To Do list is the default view. I moved Tasks up to the top but the To Do list remains the default. Can you please tell me how to switch off the To Do list or make Tasks the default view. Can I go back to the good old Task view of Outlook 2003 without these dang To Do's ? Grateful for any help. Cheers. AFAIk, you can't change that. You could create a view the hid flagged messages, so only tasks are visible. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slip...

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

corrupted word-outlook interface or preferences
Without any warning, some preferences for Word 2003 when I use it as the email editor for Outlook got goofy today. When I'm in edit mode (creating a new email or replying to an old one), the fonts look bolder and larger than they should. When I send the email, they look fine when received. The fonts all look okay when I stop using Word as my email editor. I thought that maybe a Word preference got corrupted. I've tried deleting the Normal.dot file (for Word, since it seems that Word is at least part of the problem) and also doing the "detect and repair" option, but I&#...

FYI Office 2003 Updates Now Available
Visit http://office.microsoft.com and click on Check for Updates Word 2003 Update: KB834702 (Finnish) / Word 2003 Update: KB834702 for Multilingual User Interface Pack (English). This update fixes an issue with the user interface for the Finnish version of Word 2003. The OK button is missing from the Table Properties dialogue box. Access 2003 Danish Update: KB834013 (Danish) / Access 2003 Danish Update for Multilingual User Interface Pack: KB834013 (English). This update from Microsoft prevents a potential error. If this error occurs, the three Danish characters �, � and � do not appear cor...

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

outlook to outlook express #4
Hi, I am hoping there is away to import all my Outlook Express settings inc address book, messages and files in all local folders to Outlook 2003. I am using Outlook Express 6 When I start to install Outlook 2003 it asks if I want to Configure an email account... I stopped there afraid I would lose all my settings from Express. Any and all help would be appreciated I think you say no to that dialog and then you will get prompted about importing from OE. (Even if you say yes, it won't go delete anything out of OE.) "Manny" <manny_is@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...