Outlook 2003, selecting Contacts question, long post, Please give feedback

We are using Outlook to manage a rather large client base. (it's not the
best program for our use, but I'm not the boss)  Right now the number stands
at 900, with a possible 500+ more by the time we're done entering.

I have to select clients each day and print them, 2 per page.  I have to be
in Detailed View to get the info I need to print.  The "clicking and
selecting" method is clumsy because if I click on the Initial column at the
far right, it de-selects those already selected. Most days, I need to print
20-30 pages, (40-60 clients)

I've resorted to just selecting 2 clients at a time, checking the output in
Preview, then printing, but wonder if there is a way to more easily select
more than 2, (hopefully 8-10 at a time) to get this print job out faster.
The selection process is stymied in that, every time you click "off" of the
list, all those selected are de-selected.  Also, the top contact in any view
is automatically selected, and you must hold Ctrl to de-select it.

That was probably clear as mud...but anyone familiar with Outlook might
understand what I am asking.

I tried changing the view to Phone List, and selected 8 clients, but I had
to switch to Detailed view to print all the info I needed, and in switching,
all the contacts were de-selected.

Please don't tell me we need to use Access for this.  I know this. The boss
disagrees. (because he doesn't have to deal with it)  I have 1 "real" boss
who is computer stupid, and her husband is trying to run our show.  I'm in a
tough spot, and trying to find a good solution for me and everyone.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Right now, my method is
convoluted, but functional. I also need to teach 6 other employees how to
work with this, and all but 1 are completely computer illiterate.  This
backwards method makes sense to me, because I understand the program and
have been around computers since 1991.

Melissa

I don't have Access on this machine. I do have Excel and Word from Office
2003.  And, what do you call that small pane in General View where you can
type notes?

0
nospam4265 (43)

Are you saying you just need to print the client Contact data, two per
sheet?

"Melissa" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
> We are using Outlook to manage a rather large client base. (it's not the
> best program for our use, but I'm not the boss)  Right now the number
stands
> at 900, with a possible 500+ more by the time we're done entering.
>
> I have to select clients each day and print them, 2 per page.  I have to
be
> in Detailed View to get the info I need to print.  The "clicking and
> selecting" method is clumsy because if I click on the Initial column at
the
> far right, it de-selects those already selected. Most days, I need to
print
> 20-30 pages, (40-60 clients)
>
> I've resorted to just selecting 2 clients at a time, checking the output
in
> Preview, then printing, but wonder if there is a way to more easily select
> more than 2, (hopefully 8-10 at a time) to get this print job out faster.
> The selection process is stymied in that, every time you click "off" of
the
> list, all those selected are de-selected.  Also, the top contact in any
view
> is automatically selected, and you must hold Ctrl to de-select it.
>
> That was probably clear as mud...but anyone familiar with Outlook might
> understand what I am asking.
>
> I tried changing the view to Phone List, and selected 8 clients, but I had
> to switch to Detailed view to print all the info I needed, and in
switching,
> all the contacts were de-selected.
>
> Please don't tell me we need to use Access for this.  I know this. The
boss
> disagrees. (because he doesn't have to deal with it)  I have 1 "real" boss
> who is computer stupid, and her husband is trying to run our show.  I'm in
> tough spot, and trying to find a good solution for me and everyone.
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Right now, my method is
> convoluted, but functional. I also need to teach 6 other employees how to
> work with this, and all but 1 are completely computer illiterate.  This
> backwards method makes sense to me, because I understand the program and
> have been around computers since 1991.
>
> Melissa
>
> I don't have Access on this machine. I do have Excel and Word from Office
> 2003.  And, what do you call that small pane in General View where you can
> type notes?

0
DL
8/3/2006 11:04:05 AM
Yes...I am printing them 2 per sheet. I figured out how to do that. It's
selecting more than 2 at a time using an easy method that I'm stumped on.

Melissa

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> Are you saying you just need to print the client Contact data, two per
> sheet?
>
> "Melissa" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
> > We are using Outlook to manage a rather large client base. (it's not the
> > best program for our use, but I'm not the boss)  Right now the number
> stands
> > at 900, with a possible 500+ more by the time we're done entering.
> >
> > I have to select clients each day and print them, 2 per page.  I have to
> be
> > in Detailed View to get the info I need to print.  The "clicking and
> > selecting" method is clumsy because if I click on the Initial column at
> the
> > far right, it de-selects those already selected. Most days, I need to
> print
> > 20-30 pages, (40-60 clients)
> >
> > I've resorted to just selecting 2 clients at a time, checking the output
> in
> > Preview, then printing, but wonder if there is a way to more easily
select
> > more than 2, (hopefully 8-10 at a time) to get this print job out
faster.
> > The selection process is stymied in that, every time you click "off" of
> the
> > list, all those selected are de-selected.  Also, the top contact in any
> view
> > is automatically selected, and you must hold Ctrl to de-select it.
> >
> > That was probably clear as mud...but anyone familiar with Outlook might
> > understand what I am asking.
> >
> > I tried changing the view to Phone List, and selected 8 clients, but I
had
> > to switch to Detailed view to print all the info I needed, and in
> switching,
> > all the contacts were de-selected.
> >
> > Please don't tell me we need to use Access for this.  I know this. The
> boss
> > disagrees. (because he doesn't have to deal with it)  I have 1 "real"
boss
> > who is computer stupid, and her husband is trying to run our show.  I'm
in
> > tough spot, and trying to find a good solution for me and everyone.
> >
> > Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Right now, my method is
> > convoluted, but functional. I also need to teach 6 other employees how
> > work with this, and all but 1 are completely computer illiterate.  This
> > backwards method makes sense to me, because I understand the program and
> > have been around computers since 1991.
> >
> > Melissa
> >
> > I don't have Access on this machine. I do have Excel and Word from
Office
> > 2003.  And, what do you call that small pane in General View where you
can
> > type notes?

0
nospam4265 (43)
8/3/2006 5:58:36 PM
Well your doing better than me;
Selecting Detail Address Cards view of Contacts, then Print Preview, it
shows 'all contacts' in the preview pages, but I cannot figure out how to
get two to a page (A4)

Presumably these pages are then used to 'pen note' data on, then someone has
to enter this on a the PC somehow, or file it for....?!
I feel your pain! perhaps someone needs training on how data is far easier
to review if immediately available and searchable, and of course how
pruductivity hence profits could rise.

> [...]
> boss
> > > who is computer stupid, and her husband is trying to run our show.
I'm
> in
> > > tough spot, and trying to find a good solution for me and everyone.
> > >
> > > Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Right now, my method is
> > > convoluted, but functional. I also need to teach 6 other employees how
> > > work with this, and all but 1 are completely computer illiterate.
This
> > > backwards method makes sense to me, because I understand the program
and
> > > have been around computers since 1991.
> > >
> > > Melissa
> > >
> > > I don't have Access on this machine. I do have Excel and Word from
> Office
> > > 2003.  And, what do you call that small pane in General View where you

0
DL
8/3/2006 8:18:51 PM
To print 2 to a page, you have to go into Page Setup, select Memo style (I
think, I'm not at work), and tinker with the settings until you get what you
want. It's Landscape orientation, 2 per page.  It took me a while to get it
the way I wanted it. I just kept making changes until the Preview looked
right.

I just wish we could use the correct program for our needs. I feel like I'm
pounding nails with an ice cream scoop. It works, but it's clumsy.  AND
Outlook only gives you so many characters when printing the Detailed view,
so I'm getting some truncated results if the clients have a lot of info
entered in that "note" pane.

> Well your doing better than me;
> Selecting Detail Address Cards view of Contacts, then Print Preview, it
> shows 'all contacts' in the preview pages, but I cannot figure out how to
> get two to a page (A4)
>
> Presumably these pages are then used to 'pen note' data on, then someone
has
> to enter this on a the PC somehow, or file it for....?!
> I feel your pain! perhaps someone needs training on how data is far easier
> to review if immediately available and searchable, and of course how
> pruductivity hence profits could rise.
>
> "Melissa" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
> > Yes...I am printing them 2 per sheet. I figured out how to do that. It's
> > selecting more than 2 at a time using an easy method that I'm stumped
on.

> > Melissa

0
nospam4265 (43)
8/4/2006 1:13:20 PM
When in Detailed View if I select multiple cards, then
Print>Setup>Memo>Preview all selected cards are shown
ie multiple pages

> To print 2 to a page, you have to go into Page Setup, select Memo style (I
> think, I'm not at work), and tinker with the settings until you get what
you
> want. It's Landscape orientation, 2 per page.  It took me a while to get
it
> the way I wanted it. I just kept making changes until the Preview looked
> right.
>
> I just wish we could use the correct program for our needs. I feel like
I'm
> pounding nails with an ice cream scoop. It works, but it's clumsy.  AND
> Outlook only gives you so many characters when printing the Detailed view,
> so I'm getting some truncated results if the clients have a lot of info
> entered in that "note" pane.
>
> Melissa
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> > Well your doing better than me;
> > Selecting Detail Address Cards view of Contacts, then Print Preview, it
> > shows 'all contacts' in the preview pages, but I cannot figure out how
> > get two to a page (A4)
> >
> > Presumably these pages are then used to 'pen note' data on, then someone
> has
> > to enter this on a the PC somehow, or file it for....?!
> > I feel your pain! perhaps someone needs training on how data is far
easier
> > to review if immediately available and searchable, and of course how
> > pruductivity hence profits could rise.
> >
> > "Melissa" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes...I am printing them 2 per sheet. I figured out how to do that.
It's
> > > selecting more than 2 at a time using an easy method that I'm stumped
> on.
> > >
> > > Melissa

0
DL
8/5/2006 7:40:58 AM
The difficulty we have is due to how many Contacts we have. At this point,
there are over 900, and we aren't finished adding them yet.  Selecting them
in groups of 2's is the easiest way to make sure we don't end up with some
selected that aren't supposed to be selected.  Any clicking off of the list
"de-selects" anyone who is already "selected", and then you end up with
noboby.

It's just the wrong program for us, and I'm trying to find easier methods to
make it work.  Having to scroll through 900+ Contacts is a PITA.  A true
Database program would be so much easier to use.

> When in Detailed View if I select multiple cards, then
> Print>Setup>Memo>Preview all selected cards are shown
> ie multiple pages
>
> "Melissa" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
> > To print 2 to a page, you have to go into Page Setup, select Memo style
(I
> > think, I'm not at work), and tinker with the settings until you get what
> you
> > want. It's Landscape orientation, 2 per page.  It took me a while to get
> it
> > the way I wanted it. I just kept making changes until the Preview looked
> > right.
> >
> > I just wish we could use the correct program for our needs. I feel like
> I'm
> > pounding nails with an ice cream scoop. It works, but it's clumsy.  AND
> > Outlook only gives you so many characters when printing the Detailed
view,
> > so I'm getting some truncated results if the clients have a lot of info
> > entered in that "note" pane.
> >
> > Melissa
> >

> > "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> > > Well your doing better than me;
> > > Selecting Detail Address Cards view of Contacts, then Print Preview,
it
> > > shows 'all contacts' in the preview pages, but I cannot figure out how
> > > get two to a page (A4)
> > >
> > > Presumably these pages are then used to 'pen note' data on, then
someone
> > has
> > > to enter this on a the PC somehow, or file it for....?!
> > > I feel your pain! perhaps someone needs training on how data is far
> easier
> > > to review if immediately available and searchable, and of course how
> > > pruductivity hence profits could rise.
> > >
> > > "Melissa" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
> It's
> > on.

0
nospam5581 (28)
8/5/2006 3:25:09 PM
The boss needs educating.
Perhaps inform them of the time you have to spend doing it their way as to
the time you would spend if Access used.
If they dont get it then, its a lost cause.

"Melissa" <nospam@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> The difficulty we have is due to how many Contacts we have. At this point,
> there are over 900, and we aren't finished adding them yet.  Selecting
them
> in groups of 2's is the easiest way to make sure we don't end up with some
> selected that aren't supposed to be selected.  Any clicking off of the
list
> "de-selects" anyone who is already "selected", and then you end up with
> noboby.
>
> It's just the wrong program for us, and I'm trying to find easier methods
> make it work.  Having to scroll through 900+ Contacts is a PITA.  A true
> Database program would be so much easier to use.
>
> Melissa
>

> "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> > When in Detailed View if I select multiple cards, then
> > Print>Setup>Memo>Preview all selected cards are shown
> > ie multiple pages
> >
> > "Melissa" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message
> > > To print 2 to a page, you have to go into Page Setup, select Memo
style
> (I
> > > think, I'm not at work), and tinker with the settings until you get
what
> > you
> > > want. It's Landscape orientation, 2 per page.  It took me a while to
get
> > it
> > > the way I wanted it. I just kept making changes until the Preview
looked
> > > right.
> > >
> > > I just wish we could use the correct program for our needs. I feel
like
> > I'm
> > > pounding nails with an ice cream scoop. It works, but it's clumsy.
AND
> > > Outlook only gives you so many characters when printing the Detailed
> view,
> > > so I'm getting some truncated results if the clients have a lot of
info
> > > entered in that "note" pane.
> > >
> > > Melissa
> > >

> > > "DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
> it

> someone
> > > has
> > easier

> > It's
> stumped
> > > on.

0
DL

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Combo Box Question
I have an Access Database with a form on it that has 3 combo boxes 1 Flex grid and 1 list box. The combo boxes display specific data based on a user selection in the flex grid or the list box. the flex grid shows current appointments and the list box shows cancelled appointments. The combo boxes show the detail of the appointment. If the user selects an item in the flex grid the combo boxes populate correctly if the user selects an item in the listbox the combo boxes error. Both click events use the same VBA Subroutine to populate the combo boxes using a recordset the only differ...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

Format date question
Hi everyone, I have a textfield that I want to change (with a query) to "yymm". Format([Datefield];"yyyymm") is working, but not Format([Datefield];"yymm") Which really puzzles me.. It doesn't matter if the the new field is "date" or "text" as long as it displays yy (2 digits) and mm (2 digits). Any ideas? Kindly Mikael Sweden What version of Access? I just tested with 2003 (US) and it returned 0801 for the current date A workaround might be to use Right(Format([Datefield];"yyyymm");4) AHHH! A **TEXT** field. In th...

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Same Contact, Different Owners
We are running V4. Big big concern of our users is multiple owners of a single contact. CRM is only allowing one user to sync back changes from the CRM to Outlook (so the first user to synch their Outlook contacts with CRM wins). Even if record is shared, updates are not being synch'd. Are there any solutions/ideas/suggestions to handle this? The easier way to do it is to modify the local data rule for synchornizing the data. The default rule is to download all of the records owned by the login user. Darren Liu, Microsoft CRM MVP Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On May 22, 6:26=...

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

FYI Office 2003 Updates Now Available
Visit http://office.microsoft.com and click on Check for Updates Word 2003 Update: KB834702 (Finnish) / Word 2003 Update: KB834702 for Multilingual User Interface Pack (English). This update fixes an issue with the user interface for the Finnish version of Word 2003. The OK button is missing from the Table Properties dialogue box. Access 2003 Danish Update: KB834013 (Danish) / Access 2003 Danish Update for Multilingual User Interface Pack: KB834013 (English). This update from Microsoft prevents a potential error. If this error occurs, the three Danish characters �, � and � do not appear cor...