Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/P

Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST.

I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system.
On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the emails
associated with them.  I would like to do the same with just the Outlook
client in Pop3 mode.

I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my ISP.

In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up
multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts
list).  However...

The problem is with associating the "Reply To" field with incoming mail.

The only way (it seems) to associate an account with the proper "Reply To"
information is to have that account download the mail from the POP3 server at
the ISP.  However, if I do this, then EACH account downloads the mail from
the server and I end up with 10 of the same message in my Inbox!

I want to be able to have a single account download from the POP3 server
into my Outlook mailbox, then either manually or, ideally, have Outlook
determine the proper "Reply To" information based on the incoming/destination
email address.  But even if I manually choose the proper "From" account when
I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the account
that it was downloaded from.

So I either have 10 duplicate emails, one of which has the proper internal
"Reply To" information; or I can turn of downloading for 9 of 10 accounts,
but not have the proper internal "Reply To" information.

Setting up different profiles will not change the duplicate email
downloading problem.

Is there a way to resolve this and have just a single mailbox downloading
multiple domains/email addresses from singe POP3 account, not have duplicate
emails and retain and/or automate internal "Reply To" information.

Thanks,

Todd

0
ToddC667 (5)

No, you now have a single account with a single mail address to which you
forward messages from other accounts and then you want to separate them into
multiple "accounts" again.

Instead of forwarding everything from other accounts to a single account,
why not collect the emails from those accounts directly with Outlook? Then
the original envelope is left in tact and Outlook will automatically reply
with the correct mail account (and thus address) and you can select the
account with the Accounts button.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"ToddC" <ToddC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST.
>
> I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system.
> On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the
> emails
> associated with them.  I would like to do the same with just the Outlook
> client in Pop3 mode.
>
> I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my
> ISP.
>
> In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up
> multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts
> list).  However...
>
> The problem is with associating the "Reply To" field with incoming mail.
>
> The only way (it seems) to associate an account with the proper "Reply To"
> information is to have that account download the mail from the POP3 server
> at
> the ISP.  However, if I do this, then EACH account downloads the mail from
> the server and I end up with 10 of the same message in my Inbox!
>
> I want to be able to have a single account download from the POP3 server
> into my Outlook mailbox, then either manually or, ideally, have Outlook
> determine the proper "Reply To" information based on the
> incoming/destination
> email address.  But even if I manually choose the proper "From" account
> when
> I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the account
> that it was downloaded from.
>
> So I either have 10 duplicate emails, one of which has the proper internal
> "Reply To" information; or I can turn of downloading for 9 of 10 accounts,
> but not have the proper internal "Reply To" information.
>
> Setting up different profiles will not change the duplicate email
> downloading problem.
>
> Is there a way to resolve this and have just a single mailbox downloading
> multiple domains/email addresses from singe POP3 account, not have
> duplicate
> emails and retain and/or automate internal "Reply To" information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

0
Roady
6/28/2009 7:09:06 PM
In order for outlook to properly reply to the message, you need to have it
download the emails using the correct account. You can either do it by
setting up each account to download from the single mailbox and getting
duplicates (not recommended) or download directly from each account's
mailbox (recommended).

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

"ToddC" <ToddC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST.
>
> I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system.
> On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the
> emails
> associated with them.  I would like to do the same with just the Outlook
> client in Pop3 mode.
>
> I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my
> ISP.
>
> In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up
> multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts
> list).  However...
>
> The problem is with associating the "Reply To" field with incoming mail.
>
> The only way (it seems) to associate an account with the proper "Reply To"
> information is to have that account download the mail from the POP3 server
> at
> the ISP.  However, if I do this, then EACH account downloads the mail from
> the server and I end up with 10 of the same message in my Inbox!
>
> I want to be able to have a single account download from the POP3 server
> into my Outlook mailbox, then either manually or, ideally, have Outlook
> determine the proper "Reply To" information based on the
> incoming/destination
> email address.  But even if I manually choose the proper "From" account
> when
> I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the account
> that it was downloaded from.
>
> So I either have 10 duplicate emails, one of which has the proper internal
> "Reply To" information; or I can turn of downloading for 9 of 10 accounts,
> but not have the proper internal "Reply To" information.
>
> Setting up different profiles will not change the duplicate email
> downloading problem.
>
> Is there a way to resolve this and have just a single mailbox downloading
> multiple domains/email addresses from singe POP3 account, not have
> duplicate
> emails and retain and/or automate internal "Reply To" information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

0
outlookmvp (5838)
6/28/2009 7:34:36 PM
Robert:

Thanks for the response.  My eMail addresses for multiple domains are
forwarded via domain host -- they are not separate POP3 accounts, just
separate eMail accounts/addresses (with different domains).  So I can't just
have each account download from some separate source of each eMail address --
all eMail is forwarded to my ISP address mailbox/inbox, from where I was
hoping to download all eMails directly into Outlook (as I had previously done
with Exchange, but Exchange allowed me to manage separate domains).

Thanks,

Todd

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> No, you now have a single account with a single mail address to which you
> forward messages from other accounts and then you want to separate them into
> multiple "accounts" again.
>
> Instead of forwarding everything from other accounts to a single account,
> why not collect the emails from those accounts directly with Outlook? Then
> the original envelope is left in tact and Outlook will automatically reply
> with the correct mail account (and thus address) and you can select the
> account with the Accounts button.
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "ToddC" <ToddC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST.
> >
> > I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system.
> > On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the
> > emails
> > associated with them.  I would like to do the same with just the Outlook
> > client in Pop3 mode.
> >
> > I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my
> > ISP.
> >
> > In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up
> > multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts
> > list).  However...
> >
> > The problem is with associating the "Reply To" field with incoming mail.
> >
> > The only way (it seems) to associate an account with the proper "Reply To"
> > information is to have that account download the mail from the POP3 server
> > at
> > the ISP.  However, if I do this, then EACH account downloads the mail from
> > the server and I end up with 10 of the same message in my Inbox!
> >
> > I want to be able to have a single account download from the POP3 server
> > into my Outlook mailbox, then either manually or, ideally, have Outlook
> > determine the proper "Reply To" information based on the
> > incoming/destination
> > email address.  But even if I manually choose the proper "From" account
> > when
> > I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the account
> > that it was downloaded from.
> >
> > So I either have 10 duplicate emails, one of which has the proper internal
> > "Reply To" information; or I can turn of downloading for 9 of 10 accounts,
> > but not have the proper internal "Reply To" information.
> >
> > Setting up different profiles will not change the duplicate email
> > downloading problem.
> >
> > Is there a way to resolve this and have just a single mailbox downloading
> > multiple domains/email addresses from singe POP3 account, not have
> > duplicate
> > emails and retain and/or automate internal "Reply To" information.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Todd

0
ToddC667 (5)
6/29/2009 5:19:01 AM
Thanks for the reply Diane.  Each account does NOT have a separate POP3
mailbox, only a DNS/MX record that allows the email to be forwarded to
whatever mailbox/account I want.

Thanks,

Todd

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> In order for outlook to properly reply to the message, you need to have it
> download the emails using the correct account. You can either do it by
> setting up each account to download from the single mailbox and getting
> duplicates (not recommended) or download directly from each account's
> mailbox (recommended).
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
> http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
>
> "ToddC" <ToddC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST.
> >
> > I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system.
> > On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the
> > emails
> > associated with them.  I would like to do the same with just the Outlook
> > client in Pop3 mode.
> >
> > I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my
> > ISP.
> >
> > In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up
> > multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts
> > list).  However...
> >
> > The problem is with associating the "Reply To" field with incoming mail.
> >
> > The only way (it seems) to associate an account with the proper "Reply To"
> > information is to have that account download the mail from the POP3 server
> > at
> > the ISP.  However, if I do this, then EACH account downloads the mail from
> > the server and I end up with 10 of the same message in my Inbox!
> >
> > I want to be able to have a single account download from the POP3 server
> > into my Outlook mailbox, then either manually or, ideally, have Outlook
> > determine the proper "Reply To" information based on the
> > incoming/destination
> > email address.  But even if I manually choose the proper "From" account
> > when
> > I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the account
> > that it was downloaded from.
> >
> > So I either have 10 duplicate emails, one of which has the proper internal
> > "Reply To" information; or I can turn of downloading for 9 of 10 accounts,
> > but not have the proper internal "Reply To" information.
> >
> > Setting up different profiles will not change the duplicate email
> > downloading problem.
> >
> > Is there a way to resolve this and have just a single mailbox downloading
> > multiple domains/email addresses from singe POP3 account, not have
> > duplicate
> > emails and retain and/or automate internal "Reply To" information.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Todd

0
ToddC667 (5)
6/29/2009 5:21:02 AM
I have figured out a work-around/solution.  I have created all of the eMail
accounts under a single profile/mailbox.  Each of the accounts is set up for
the same ISP account/mailbox.  But in Send/Receive only one of those accounts
is set to download mail; all other accounts are setup to only send mail.

Whenever I send a reply eMail I will need to select the correct account from
the Accounts drop-down to set the "From" and internal "Reply To" address, but
that is workable.

Thanks again,

ToddC

"ToddC" wrote:

> Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST.
>
> I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system.
> On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the emails
> associated with them.  I would like to do the same with just the Outlook
> client in Pop3 mode.
>
> I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my ISP.
>
> In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up
> multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts
> list).  However...
>
> The problem is with associating the "Reply To" field with incoming mail.
>
> The only way (it seems) to associate an account with the proper "Reply To"
> information is to have that account download the mail from the POP3 server at
> the ISP.  However, if I do this, then EACH account downloads the mail from
> the server and I end up with 10 of the same message in my Inbox!
>
> I want to be able to have a single account download from the POP3 server
> into my Outlook mailbox, then either manually or, ideally, have Outlook
> determine the proper "Reply To" information based on the incoming/destination
> email address.  But even if I manually choose the proper "From" account when
> I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the account
> that it was downloaded from.
>
> So I either have 10 duplicate emails, one of which has the proper internal
> "Reply To" information; or I can turn of downloading for 9 of 10 accounts,
> but not have the proper internal "Reply To" information.
>
> Setting up different profiles will not change the duplicate email
> downloading problem.
>
> Is there a way to resolve this and have just a single mailbox downloading
> multiple domains/email addresses from singe POP3 account, not have duplicate
> emails and retain and/or automate internal "Reply To" information.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

0
ToddC667 (5)
6/29/2009 7:09:01 AM
"ToddC" <ToddC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my ISP.
>
> In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up
> multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts
> list).  However...
>
> The problem is with associating the "Reply To" field with incoming mail.
>
> The only way (it seems) to associate an account with the proper "Reply To"
> information is to have that account download the mail from the POP3 server
> at
> the ISP.  However, if I do this, then EACH account downloads the mail from
> the server and I end up with 10 of the same message in my Inbox!

That's because you're forwarding all those different addresses to the same
mailbox and you have multiple accounts set up to receive mail.  If they're all
in one mailbox, configure only one of your accounts to receive mail.  Then
you'll get only one copy and you can choose the appropriate sending account
with the Accounts button.

> I want to be able to have a single account download from the POP3 server
> into my Outlook mailbox, then either manually or, ideally, have Outlook
> determine the proper "Reply To" information based on the
> incoming/destination
> email address.  But even if I manually choose the proper "From" account when
> I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the account
> that it was downloaded from.

Press Alt-Ctrl-S.  Selectr "All Accounts" and click Edit.  Decide which of
your accounts will be the downloading account.  Select each of the others one
at a time and uncheck the box labeled "Receive mail items".  That way only one
account will download the messages during a send/receive.

E-mail addresses and accounts don't need a one-to-one correspondence.
Mailboxes and accounts, however, should have that relationship.  You don't
need to specify any "Reply-To" values.  If each account has a separate mail
sending address, then leave the Reply-To setting empty.  The receipient will
not be able to tell which of your accounts actually received the message as
long as you choose the correct sending account when composing your reply.
Just choose the sending account with the address you want the recipient to
see.

Why are you forwarding all your addresses to a simple mailbox?  Don't
aggregate them before Outlook gets them.  Let Outlook aggregate them,
downloading them from each of the individual mailboxes and you'll get only one
copy of each message and since the receiving account will have the address to
which the message was sent, when you reply, the sending address will
automatically be the correct address because Outlook always uses the account
with which a message is received for the sending account.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
6/29/2009 12:31:21 PM
Then you have to download multiple copies or set up POP3 for the accounts.

--

> [...]
>> > when
>> > I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the
>> > account
>> > that it was downloaded from.
>> >
>> > So I either have 10 duplicate emails, one of which has the proper
>> > internal
>> > "Reply To" information; or I can turn of downloading for 9 of 10
>> > accounts,
>> > but not have the proper internal "Reply To" information.
>> >
>> > Setting up different profiles will not change the duplicate email
>> > downloading problem.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to resolve this and have just a single mailbox
>> > downloading
>> > multiple domains/email addresses from singe POP3 account, not have
>> > duplicate
>> > emails and retain and/or automate internal "Reply To" information.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
6/29/2009 12:38:06 PM
Brian, Thanks for the reply and information.

Yes, I did figure this out to make it work for me.

I am doing it this way because the addresses don't have a "mailbox" from
which I am downloading except where they are aggregated at the ISP, because
they are simply DNS/MX records that exist for that purpose...

Cheers,

Todd

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> "ToddC" <ToddC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my ISP.
> >
> > In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up
> > multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts
> > list).  However...
> >
> > The problem is with associating the "Reply To" field with incoming mail.
> >
> > The only way (it seems) to associate an account with the proper "Reply To"
> > information is to have that account download the mail from the POP3 server
> > at
> > the ISP.  However, if I do this, then EACH account downloads the mail from
> > the server and I end up with 10 of the same message in my Inbox!
>
> That's because you're forwarding all those different addresses to the same
> mailbox and you have multiple accounts set up to receive mail.  If they're all
> in one mailbox, configure only one of your accounts to receive mail.  Then
> you'll get only one copy and you can choose the appropriate sending account
> with the Accounts button.
>
> > I want to be able to have a single account download from the POP3 server
> > into my Outlook mailbox, then either manually or, ideally, have Outlook
> > determine the proper "Reply To" information based on the
> > incoming/destination
> > email address.  But even if I manually choose the proper "From" account when
> > I reply to the message, the internal "Reply To" information is the account
> > that it was downloaded from.
>
> Press Alt-Ctrl-S.  Selectr "All Accounts" and click Edit.  Decide which of
> your accounts will be the downloading account.  Select each of the others one
> at a time and uncheck the box labeled "Receive mail items".  That way only one
> account will download the messages during a send/receive.
>
> E-mail addresses and accounts don't need a one-to-one correspondence.
> Mailboxes and accounts, however, should have that relationship.  You don't
> need to specify any "Reply-To" values.  If each account has a separate mail
> sending address, then leave the Reply-To setting empty.  The receipient will
> not be able to tell which of your accounts actually received the message as
> long as you choose the correct sending account when composing your reply.
> Just choose the sending account with the address you want the recipient to
> see.
>
> Why are you forwarding all your addresses to a simple mailbox?  Don't
> aggregate them before Outlook gets them.  Let Outlook aggregate them,
> downloading them from each of the individual mailboxes and you'll get only one
> copy of each message and since the receiving account will have the address to
> which the message was sent, when you reply, the sending address will
> automatically be the correct address because Outlook always uses the account
> with which a message is received for the sending account.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
ToddC667 (5)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Combo Box Question
I have an Access Database with a form on it that has 3 combo boxes 1 Flex grid and 1 list box. The combo boxes display specific data based on a user selection in the flex grid or the list box. the flex grid shows current appointments and the list box shows cancelled appointments. The combo boxes show the detail of the appointment. If the user selects an item in the flex grid the combo boxes populate correctly if the user selects an item in the listbox the combo boxes error. Both click events use the same VBA Subroutine to populate the combo boxes using a recordset the only differ...

Sizing of CLISTCTRL boxes
I've created a CLISTCTRL using the expert. [So the sizing is in the RC file]. Then I add 4 headers, and the appropriate data. [This is with the REPORT setting]. The problem is that either the box enclosing is too small, and the last column is clipped [but visible with a scroll bar], or an EXTRA column is visible. I can play around with the sizing, and make it look right, but when another user tries running the app [with a different display resolution], things break. How do attach the right hand column to the box?? Thanks, Ihor Kinal You could figure out the exact size, but I typicall...

More combo box help
I have posted here before with the same inquiry. However, none of the suggestions seem to be working for me. I am sure it is because of how I stated my request. Pleas indulge me as I try to state it again. I have a table that is updated via a form based on the table. I have a combo box on the form with the following columns: SupplierName, SupplierNumber with matching column in the table. I am able to select the supplier name and have the supplier number auto populate in the supplier # field on the form. The problem I am experiencing is that only the supplier number is saved in the tabl...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Add a warning box if you remove "user" role
Business Portal security is built around "roles". There is a built-in role called "user". In Business Portal version 3.0, you can remove a user from the role called "user". However, if you do so, much of the program will automatically start to fail. Many of the queries and/or web parts do not work, even if the user is assigned other roles like "sales manager". Because of this special "user" role, the software should be changed so that if someone tries to remove a user from this "user" role, a warning/message box shoul...

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

How can i insert multiple pictures in a word doc, simultaneously?
Hello! I need to put in multiple photos from a file in my reports, and i would like them to be sized to fit 6-10 per page. Is there any way to do that in one simple step? Thanks! It depends on your definition of simple. In order to control the layout of the images you need to insert them in a table of fixed cell width. The images will then adapt to the width of the cell. How many will fit of a page is determined by whether the images are portrait mode or landscape mode - or mixed modes. The following macro will insert a two column table at the cursor and proceed to en...

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

multiple copies won't print is word 2002
I am running Word 2002, ( as part of works suite 6). All of a sudden it won't print multiple copies of a doc, only one. I have a brother hl-5040 with 136 mb memory. The computer is running win xp pro; sp3. Any ideas? Thanks As a first step, I would suggest that you make sure you have the latest printer driver available and then delete and reinstall the printer. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Hal" <Hal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B84BC29-BAB9-4187-AFD8-6F19FD9BECCE@microsoft.com... > I am running Word 2002, ( as part of work...

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007