Outlook 2003 Live questions

With an Outlook Live subscription, will I be able to keep my desktop and
notebook synchronized?

I am monitoring up to 16 e-mail accounts related to our website (webmaster,
newsletter, unsubscribe, subscribe etc.) in addition to my business e-mail
and my personal e-mail. These are all POP3 accounts hosted on 3 different
servers.
   a) can I choose to monitor some accounts via Outlook Live and some
through regular Outlook 2003 (which will not be synchronized between the 2
pc's)?
   b) is there a limit to how many POP3 accounts I can use in Outlook Live?
   c) can I send e-mail from any of these account using their individual
e-mail address, or will they all appear to come from a MSN/Hotmail account?
   d) can I use the reply/reply to all and choose if 1) my from e-mail
address is the same as the incoming e-mail address, or 2) be able to change
to a different sender e-mail address?
   e) I write in several different languages. Will I be able to spell check
outgoing e-mail messages accordingly using the Office language spell checker?
   f) is it correct that Outlook Live supports only up to 1000 contacts?
What do I do if my current contact database is larger?
   g) during first time set-up, can I automatically transfer all my e-mail
(including all folders I've created), all contacts etc. or do I have to
upload one at the time?
   h) if I want to check my various e-mail accounts and don't have either of
my own pc's handy, can I e.g. use an internet cafe and check my mail just
like I use to do now via the various ISP's webmail service?
   i) what happens to synchronization if the total size of the online
storage exceedes 2Gb?

If the answers to these questions are what I expect, I'm buying this program
imediately.

Tor-Eddie
0
toreddie (4)

a) yes. you have too ways to do it - let the website check all pop3 or set
the outlook live pst as default and let outlook check all. Use rules to move
messages to a second pst if you don't want them synced.

b) no idea.

c) it depends on how you get them into the msn account. you'll also be able
to select a different account from the account drop down. If you set MSn up
to collect the accounts, they will be sent from the MSN account by default.

d) this applies to all outlook accounts not just outlook live - only if you
select a different account (you can create dummy accounts). if you just type
a new address in the from field it may send, depending on the security of
the mail server, but will be sent 'on behalf of' and exposes the email
address used by the account.

e) again, a general outlook question - yes, as long as you have the right
languages and spell check dictionaries installed.

f) yes. it also supports only one contact folder. if you have more, put the
less used contacts in a different folder so the most used ones are sure to
sync. You will have access to the excess on the computer they are stored on
and can easily move them to other copies of outlook by exporting only that
folder.

g) drop everything in the msn pst and they'll sync.

h) the mail stays in the isp mailbox until either msn or outlook downloads
it.

i) it stops accepting new mail. when items are no longer needed for access
from anywhere, move them to a local pst to reduce space, if you are in
danger of hitting the limit.

for more info on mool, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/mool.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"toreddie" <toreddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With an Outlook Live subscription, will I be able to keep my desktop and
> notebook synchronized?
>
> I am monitoring up to 16 e-mail accounts related to our website
> (webmaster,
> newsletter, unsubscribe, subscribe etc.) in addition to my business e-mail
> and my personal e-mail. These are all POP3 accounts hosted on 3 different
> servers.
>   a) can I choose to monitor some accounts via Outlook Live and some
> through regular Outlook 2003 (which will not be synchronized between the 2
> pc's)?
>   b) is there a limit to how many POP3 accounts I can use in Outlook Live?
>   c) can I send e-mail from any of these account using their individual
> e-mail address, or will they all appear to come from a MSN/Hotmail
> account?
>   d) can I use the reply/reply to all and choose if 1) my from e-mail
> address is the same as the incoming e-mail address, or 2) be able to
> change
> to a different sender e-mail address?
>   e) I write in several different languages. Will I be able to spell check
> outgoing e-mail messages accordingly using the Office language spell
> checker?
>   f) is it correct that Outlook Live supports only up to 1000 contacts?
> What do I do if my current contact database is larger?
>   g) during first time set-up, can I automatically transfer all my e-mail
> (including all folders I've created), all contacts etc. or do I have to
> upload one at the time?
>   h) if I want to check my various e-mail accounts and don't have either
> of
> my own pc's handy, can I e.g. use an internet cafe and check my mail just
> like I use to do now via the various ISP's webmail service?
>   i) what happens to synchronization if the total size of the online
> storage exceedes 2Gb?
>
> If the answers to these questions are what I expect, I'm buying this
> program
> imediately.
>
> Tor-Eddie

0
outlookmvp (5838)
1/7/2006 3:14:53 PM
Thanks Diane.

I guess I'm still a little confused about the difference between the regular
Outlook 2003 (part of Office 2003) and Outlook 2003 Live. Are these two
totally different programs, or does the "Live" version integrate into the
Office version? Do I have to have two different Outlook programs open if I
want to have some of my e-mail synchronized with my notebook, and some only
on my desktop?

a) if I set Outlook live pst as default, is that within the Office version
of Outlook, or is it in it's own Outlook program?

h) I assume this also means that I can set Outlook Live (as I can Office
Outlook) to leave a copy of any e-mail in the ISP mailbox?

i) can I use the archive function and store all e-mail that are either old
or e-mail I don't need to synch? I assume the archive folder is not
synchronized?

Additional questions:

With the regular Office Outlook I have not found a way to back up the e-mail
account settings. Each time I have had to reformat my harddrive (too often
lately), I have to recreate each and every e-mail account (16 accounts) each
time I re-installed Outlook. Does Outlook Live eliminate this problem? How?
Or, is there a way I can do it in Office Outlook?

I know all my rules are saved as part of my pst file, but when I re-install
and import the pst file, all rules are duplicated. One set says "On other
computer", the second set is "normal". Why? Which do I use?

In your opinion, is Outlook Live the answer to e-mail access "on the go"?

Does the purchase come with a trial period?

Do you know of a software called "Synch PST" from Germany? If so, which of
the two, Outlook Live and Synch PST, would you say serves my purpose since I
monitor up to 16 e-mail accounts, and need to be able to use the individual
accounts' e-mail address when I reply?

Tor-Eddie

c) if I don't use MSN to collect the e-mail from my various accounts, how do
I get them into MSN (or Outlook Live)

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > outgoing e-mail messages accordingly using the Office language spell
> > checker?
> >   f) is it correct that Outlook Live supports only up to 1000 contacts?
> > What do I do if my current contact database is larger?
> >   g) during first time set-up, can I automatically transfer all my e-mail
> > (including all folders I've created), all contacts etc. or do I have to
> > upload one at the time?
> >   h) if I want to check my various e-mail accounts and don't have either
> > of
> > my own pc's handy, can I e.g. use an internet cafe and check my mail just
> > like I use to do now via the various ISP's webmail service?
> >   i) what happens to synchronization if the total size of the online
> > storage exceedes 2Gb?
> >
> > If the answers to these questions are what I expect, I'm buying this

0
toreddie (4)
1/8/2006 11:16:03 PM
the live version lacks a few things found in the office version - namely,
some language features and import/export.  if you already have outlook 2003,
you only need the connector. In fact, the live installation won't replace
outlook 2003 if it's already installed - it will just install the connector.

a) within the outlook version you had installed previously
h) yes.
i) archive yes

outlook (and by extension, outlook live) doesn't offer a backup method -
either create a prf to use, use save my settings wizard, or get a 3rd party
back up tool.  With 16 accounts, investing in a backup tool should have a
high return on investment if you reformat often or change machines.
backup methods: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm#accounts
prf: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/prf.htm

rules: they are configured by account names and other per-computer
information so a reinstall makes it think there are two computers - this one
and the old one.

outlook live is an excellant option for people who need online mail and
calendar accessible from anywhere that also syncs with outlook. Another
option is a hosted exchange account - they tend to be about $10 a month per
mailbox and often have mailbox size limits smaller than MSN/Outlook live.

AFAIK, there is no trial period for outlook live. There may be a 30 day
money back guarantee though.

I've never used Synch PST so I really can't judge, but even so. It has a
free trial evaluate it and see if it meets your needs.

--

> [...]
>> > checker?
>> >   f) is it correct that Outlook Live supports only up to 1000 contacts?
>> > What do I do if my current contact database is larger?
>> >   g) during first time set-up, can I automatically transfer all my
>> > e-mail
>> > (including all folders I've created), all contacts etc. or do I have to
>> > upload one at the time?
>> >   h) if I want to check my various e-mail accounts and don't have
>> > either
>> > of
>> > my own pc's handy, can I e.g. use an internet cafe and check my mail
>> > just
>> > like I use to do now via the various ISP's webmail service?
>> >   i) what happens to synchronization if the total size of the online
>> > storage exceedes 2Gb?
>> >
>> > If the answers to these questions are what I expect, I'm buying this

0
outlookmvp (5838)
1/12/2006 7:01:21 PM
Diane,

Thank you again for your clarifications and insight. I guess the only issue
I'm still not clear about is how the e-mail accounts are kept separate. What
I need to be able to do is after downloading an e-mail from one of my 16
accounts, be able to hit the Reply/Reply All button, write a response, hit
Send, and the e-mail is sent using the specific account's e-mail address (and
not a MSN/Hotmail address).

In your first response you indicated that this was possible, but I believe
it had something to do with how it all is set up. If I use this
functionality, do I compromize anything else? Are there major disadvantages
of using each individual account compared to one MSN/Hotmail account?

Please set up a scenario with 3-4 different e-mail accounts and show how it
would work using Outlook Live, either using them individually or using a
MSN/Hotmail account.

If I use Outlook Live to download e-mail to my office computer, the same
e-mail messages are saved in the Outlook Live mailbox for me to download to
my notebook, right? If I delete one downloaded e-mail from Outlook on my
office pc, the next time I connect the laptop, the same e-mail will be
deleted off of the notebook as well? If I create a new e-mail folder (for
sorting purposes) in Outlook on my office pc, will this folder be created in
my notebook Outlook the next time I connect?

Usually when I'm in the office, my notebook is also on-line. Will it update
automatically throughout the day, or do I actually have to "click a button"
to perform a download/synch?

Last question for now: Is there a news/usergroup for Outlook Live? How can I
become a member?

As always, your response will be greatly appreciated.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> g) drop everything in the msn pst and they'll sync.
> >>
> >> h) the mail stays in the isp mailbox until either msn or outlook
> >> downloads
> >> it.
> >>
> >> i) it stops accepting new mail. when items are no longer needed for
> >> access
> >> from anywhere, move them to a local pst to reduce space, if you are in
> >> danger of hitting the limit.
> >>

> >> for more info on mool, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/mool.htm
> >>

> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> >> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
> >> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

0
toreddie (4)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Combo Box Question
I have an Access Database with a form on it that has 3 combo boxes 1 Flex grid and 1 list box. The combo boxes display specific data based on a user selection in the flex grid or the list box. the flex grid shows current appointments and the list box shows cancelled appointments. The combo boxes show the detail of the appointment. If the user selects an item in the flex grid the combo boxes populate correctly if the user selects an item in the listbox the combo boxes error. Both click events use the same VBA Subroutine to populate the combo boxes using a recordset the only differ...

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

Format date question
Hi everyone, I have a textfield that I want to change (with a query) to "yymm". Format([Datefield];"yyyymm") is working, but not Format([Datefield];"yymm") Which really puzzles me.. It doesn't matter if the the new field is "date" or "text" as long as it displays yy (2 digits) and mm (2 digits). Any ideas? Kindly Mikael Sweden What version of Access? I just tested with 2003 (US) and it returned 0801 for the current date A workaround might be to use Right(Format([Datefield];"yyyymm");4) AHHH! A **TEXT** field. In th...

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

FYI Office 2003 Updates Now Available
Visit http://office.microsoft.com and click on Check for Updates Word 2003 Update: KB834702 (Finnish) / Word 2003 Update: KB834702 for Multilingual User Interface Pack (English). This update fixes an issue with the user interface for the Finnish version of Word 2003. The OK button is missing from the Table Properties dialogue box. Access 2003 Danish Update: KB834013 (Danish) / Access 2003 Danish Update for Multilingual User Interface Pack: KB834013 (English). This update from Microsoft prevents a potential error. If this error occurs, the three Danish characters �, � and � do not appear cor...

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...