Outlook 2003 Junk E-mail Filter Update: KB832333

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad3699f7-5cc3-4604-a768-32c4d044b630&DisplayLang=en

Note: While the update is live, as of this moment the corresponding KB
article isn't. Hopefully it'll have some technical detail, but I'm not
counting on it.

0
btvs (25)

"Milhouse Van Houten" <btvs@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad3699f7-5cc3-4604-a768-32c4d044b630&DisplayLang=en

> Note: While the update is live, as of this moment the corresponding KB
> article isn't. Hopefully it'll have some technical detail, but I'm not
> counting on it.

Thanks for that. I hope it's really going to improve the junk filter system.

Having said that, I just wish that M$ didn't always ask for the M$ Office
CD... ;(( I am at home (using my laptop) and don't have my M$ CD with me...
so I cannot update! I have to go to work to get my CD and then only will I
be able to update! How silly is that?! What about those of us who travel a
lot? Do we always have to carry ALL our CDs with us, just in case a company
decides to enforce their anti-fraud system by asking the user for their CD
when upgrading? Completely silly!

    Alan.

0
someone1 (389)
12/16/2003 9:48:33 AM
"Alan Garny" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for that. I hope it's really going to improve the junk filter
system.

> Having said that, I just wish that M$ didn't always ask for the M$ Office
> CD... ;(( I am at home (using my laptop) and don't have my M$ CD with
me...
> so I cannot update! I have to go to work to get my CD and then only will I
> be able to update! How silly is that?! What about those of us who travel a
> lot? Do we always have to carry ALL our CDs with us, just in case a
company
> decides to enforce their anti-fraud system by asking the user for their CD
> when upgrading? Completely silly!

You could make the CD available to yourself by way of a network connection -
or your employer could by way of a VPN connection.

0
n_okla (12)
12/16/2003 12:28:09 PM

"Milhouse Van Houten" <btvs@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad3699f7-5cc3-4604-a768-32c4d044b630&DisplayLang=en

> Note: While the update is live, as of this moment the corresponding KB
> article isn't. Hopefully it'll have some technical detail, but I'm not
> counting on it.

Here's the KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832333

0
n_okla (12)
12/16/2003 12:28:26 PM
"Neb Okla" <n_okla@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> You could make the CD available to yourself by way of a network
connection -
> or your employer could by way of a VPN connection.

When Office is installed, at the end you're asked if wish to keep on the
hard disk the files necessary to repair or add to Office in the future
without the need for the source media. Those files, which amount to over
100MB collectively, are put into a hidden directory called MSOCache off the
root of your Office partition. I suspect Alan did not choose to retain those
files, perhaps due to space considerations on the laptop, but they can save
your neck in situations like this. I don't know how easily MSOCache can be
created after the fact, but it's probably possible.

0
btvs (25)
12/16/2003 3:55:22 PM
"Neb Okla" <n_okla@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Alan Garny" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Thanks for that. I hope it's really going to improve the junk filter
> system.
> >
> > Having said that, I just wish that M$ didn't always ask for the M$
Office
> > CD... ;(( I am at home (using my laptop) and don't have my M$ CD with
> me...
> > so I cannot update! I have to go to work to get my CD and then only will
> > be able to update! How silly is that?! What about those of us who travel
> > lot? Do we always have to carry ALL our CDs with us, just in case a
> company
> > decides to enforce their anti-fraud system by asking the user for their
CD
> > when upgrading? Completely silly!
>
> You could make the CD available to yourself by way of a network
connection -
> or your employer could by way of a VPN connection.

That would indeed work, but why would I have to monopolise a CD drive just
for M$ Office? Not to mention that this could also be required for other
softwares. I was not only criticising M$, but all those companies that have
this type of silly anti-fraud policy. They must know that anyone who wants
to use their software can do so without any problem. So, why make the life
of those who have purchased their copy such an nuisance? That's just beyond
me...

    Alan.

0
someone1 (389)
12/16/2003 5:31:53 PM
> "Neb Okla" <n_okla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > You could make the CD available to yourself by way of a network
> connection -
> > or your employer could by way of a VPN connection.
>
> When Office is installed, at the end you're asked if wish to keep on the
> hard disk the files necessary to repair or add to Office in the future
> without the need for the source media. Those files, which amount to over
> 100MB collectively, are put into a hidden directory called MSOCache off
the
> root of your Office partition. I suspect Alan did not choose to retain
those
> files, perhaps due to space considerations on the laptop, but they can
save
> your neck in situations like this. I don't know how easily MSOCache can be
> created after the fact, but it's probably possible.

Hmm... disk space is not an issue on my laptop, so I guess I just overlooked
this... I, in fact, tried to look for that directory just in case, but it's
not on my hard disk... Is that offered as a proper option during the
installation process? I had a quick go at update/change my M$ Office
settings, and I couldn't see anything that would allow me to do that...
Well, good to know for the next time I have to install M$ Office though...

    Cheers, Alan.

0
someone1 (389)
12/16/2003 5:34:18 PM

> > You could make the CD available to yourself by way of a network
> connection -
> > or your employer could by way of a VPN connection.
>
> That would indeed work, but why would I have to monopolise a CD drive just
> for M$ Office? Not to mention that this could also be required for other

I wasn't suggesting that you should keep the CD in a drive somewhere (though
it would be hard for someone to overwrite a ROM disk!).  I was suggesting
that you keep the files on a network drive somewhere.

> softwares. I was not only criticising M$, but all those companies that
have
> this type of silly anti-fraud policy.

Shame on companies with an anti-fraud policy!
Shame on them for wanting to make money for their investors and so that they
can pay their employees!
And shame on those employees who WORK for companies - merely to fill their
children's bellies with food!
Those bastards!

> They must know that anyone who wants
> to use their software can do so without any problem. So, why make the life
> of those who have purchased their copy such an nuisance? That's just
beyond
> me...

It hasn't been a problem for me.

If you don't like it, there are other Office Suites you can buy.

Or you can write your own office suite.

Who knows, maybe MS will remove product activation from their products the
next time around.  Then again, maybe not.  Most of the people I know who
complained about it when they first heard about it have quieted down.

0
n_okla (12)
12/16/2003 7:51:54 PM
> Hmm... disk space is not an issue on my laptop, so I guess I just
overlooked
> this... I, in fact, tried to look for that directory just in case, but
it's
> not on my hard disk... Is that offered as a proper option during the
> installation process? I had a quick go at update/change my M$ Office
> settings, and I couldn't see anything that would allow me to do that...
> Well, good to know for the next time I have to install M$ Office though...

This article does mention 1.5GB has to be free, which you probably had, so
I'm guessing you inadvertently told install to delete the installation
files. That choice comes at the very end of the installation process after
everything else. It sure would make sense if there was a way to get Msocache
installed after the fact, but if there is I haven't seen how.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825933&Product=off2003

0
btvs (25)
12/16/2003 10:19:03 PM
> "Alan Garny" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > > You could make the CD available to yourself by way of a network
> > connection -
> > > or your employer could by way of a VPN connection.
> > That would indeed work, but why would I have to monopolise a CD drive
just
> > for M$ Office? Not to mention that this could also be required for other
> I wasn't suggesting that you should keep the CD in a drive somewhere
(though
> it would be hard for someone to overwrite a ROM disk!).  I was suggesting
> that you keep the files on a network drive somewhere.

Oh, ok, got you... Having no idea as what those files are, I didn't think of
that solution indeed...

> > softwares. I was not only criticising M$, but all those companies that
> have
> > this type of silly anti-fraud policy.
> Shame on companies with an anti-fraud policy!
> Shame on them for wanting to make money for their investors and so that
they
> can pay their employees!
> And shame on those employees who WORK for companies - merely to fill their
> children's bellies with food!
> Those bastards!

Yeah, ok, whatever...

> > They must know that anyone who wants
> > to use their software can do so without any problem. So, why make the
life
> > of those who have purchased their copy such an nuisance? That's just
> beyond
> > me...
>
> It hasn't been a problem for me.
>
> If you don't like it, there are other Office Suites you can buy.

Who told you I have the choice?! As it happens, all the people I collaborate
with use M$, so... if I want to avoid compatibility issues, then I don't
have the choice but going with M$... this, however, doesn't mean that I am
not entitled to some whinging. After all, I paid for the software!

> Or you can write your own office suite.

Ok, once again, whatever...

> Who knows, maybe MS will remove product activation from their products the
> next time around.  Then again, maybe not.  Most of the people I know who
> complained about it when they first heard about it have quieted down.

I may end up doing that too, considering the kind of condescendant reply you
make...

0
someone1 (389)
12/17/2003 12:05:26 AM
> "Alan Garny" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hmm... disk space is not an issue on my laptop, so I guess I just
> overlooked
> > this... I, in fact, tried to look for that directory just in case, but
> it's
> > not on my hard disk... Is that offered as a proper option during the
> > installation process? I had a quick go at update/change my M$ Office
> > settings, and I couldn't see anything that would allow me to do that...
> > Well, good to know for the next time I have to install M$ Office
though...

> This article does mention 1.5GB has to be free, which you probably had, so
> I'm guessing you inadvertently told install to delete the installation
> files. That choice comes at the very end of the installation process after
> everything else. It sure would make sense if there was a way to get
Msocache
> installed after the fact, but if there is I haven't seen how.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825933&Product=off2003

Thanks. That was useful to read. I will definitely keep that in mind for the
next time.

    Cheers, Alan.

0
someone1 (389)
12/17/2003 12:09:11 AM

> > > softwares. I was not only criticising M$, but all those companies that
> > have
> > > this type of silly anti-fraud policy.
> > Shame on companies with an anti-fraud policy!
> > Shame on them for wanting to make money for their investors and so that
> they
> > can pay their employees!
> > And shame on those employees who WORK for companies - merely to fill
their
> > children's bellies with food!
> > Those bastards!
>
> Yeah, ok, whatever...

Are you employed?  Would you object if someone stole the goods or services
you produce?  Do you take measures to prevent that theft?

> > If you don't like it, there are other Office Suites you can buy.
>
> Who told you I have the choice?!
> As it happens, all the people I collaborate
> with use M$, so... if I want to avoid compatibility issues, then I don't
> have the choice but going with M$...

Sun, IBM, and Corel seem to think that you have the choice.  Ask them all
about compatibility issues with their Office Suites.  They all work fine.

> this, however, doesn't mean that I am
> not entitled to some whinging. After all, I paid for the software!

You paid for the software?

I went to the MS Office 2003 Launch Event (free) and got it for free.

Since the software was available from MS for free, and you apparently missed
that opportunity, should you still be entitled to whine? ;)

> > Or you can write your own office suite.
>
> Ok, once again, whatever...

Ok, maybe YOU can't, but people seem to think they can.  Check out the
open-source community.

> > Who knows, maybe MS will remove product activation from their products
the
> > next time around.  Then again, maybe not.  Most of the people I know who
> > complained about it when they first heard about it have quieted down.
>
> I may end up doing that too, considering the kind of condescendant reply
you
> make...

If you have a better idea, you could always send it in to
MSwish@microsoft.com - maybe they'll drop the part of the anti-fraud you
don't like and replace it with a different method you're ok with.

Still, if you don't delete the install files, you won't have a problem.  And
if you keep a copy of the files somewhere on your network, you can use that
just as well.

What's preventing you from those solutions?

0
n_okla (12)
12/17/2003 12:53:56 PM
> Are you employed?  Would you object if someone stole the goods or services
> you produce?  Do you take measures to prevent that theft?

This is completely off topic. There is a difference between making a thief's
life difficult, and making that of your genuine users difficult. I happen to
be in the second category and, as such, I couldn't care less about M$ and
their wish to limit fraud. All I want is for the piece of software I bought
not to bug with requests for the CD every time I upgrade.

> Sun, IBM, and Corel seem to think that you have the choice.  Ask them all
> about compatibility issues with their Office Suites.  They all work fine.

When you think that there are already compatibility issues between the
different flavours of M$ Office, I really wonder how you can expect 100%
compatibility from different pieces of software.

From your use of the double space after a full point, I would think that you
have been around for quite some time. Yet, you don't seem to have learned
much from the computing business...

> > this, however, doesn't mean that I am
> > not entitled to some whinging. After all, I paid for the software!
> You paid for the software?

Yes.

> I went to the MS Office 2003 Launch Event (free) and got it for free.
>
> Since the software was available from MS for free, and you apparently
missed
> that opportunity, should you still be entitled to whine? ;)

Are you being plain stupid here or what? Independent of where that event was
held, this doesn't mean that one can necessarily attend it. Sorry, but some
people have to work instead of wandering around at free events... Anyway,
most people have to pay for it, so that does entitle to whine if they feel
like it and whether you like it or not.

> > > Or you can write your own office suite.
> > Ok, once again, whatever...
> Ok, maybe YOU can't, but people seem to think they can.  Check out the
> open-source community.

I am perfectly aware of what is available around, thank you very much.
Otherwise, it has nothing to do with my (in)ability to write such a
software, but rather with the fact that your suggestion (write my own office
suite) is plain stupid. Just think about it for a minute and you will see.

> If you have a better idea, you could always send it in to
> MSwish@microsoft.com - maybe they'll drop the part of the anti-fraud you
> don't like and replace it with a different method you're ok with.

Yeah, sure... From what I can tell, M$ doesn't seem to care that much about
one's comments... I have sent numerous reports following the crashing of M$
applications and I yet have to see anything from them proving me they are or
have been doing something about it. So again, you are being plain stupid or
simply trolling...

> Still, if you don't delete the install files, you won't have a problem.
And
> if you keep a copy of the files somewhere on your network, you can use
that
> just as well.

Yes, I did realise that (from Milhouse) and that's all you should have
replied to me, instead of adding lots of crap to your message.

> What's preventing you from those solutions?

Nothing, now that I have been told about it.

Ok, enough said. I have better things to do than replying to more nonsense.

0
someone1 (389)
12/17/2003 2:40:16 PM
> "Neb Okla" <n_okla@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Are you employed?  Would you object if someone stole the goods or
services
> > you produce?  Do you take measures to prevent that theft?
>
> This is completely off topic. There is a difference between making a
thief's
> life difficult, and making that of your genuine users difficult. I happen
> be in the second category and, as such, I couldn't care less about M$ and
> their wish to limit fraud. All I want is for the piece of software I
bought
> not to bug with requests for the CD every time I upgrade.

It's also an inconvenience to lock and unlock the doors on ones home, but it
is an accepted inconvenience, so people don't notice it.

I agree we shouldn't have to though.  People shouldn't steal.

> > Sun, IBM, and Corel seem to think that you have the choice.  Ask them
all
> > about compatibility issues with their Office Suites.  They all work
fine.

> When you think that there are already compatibility issues between the
> different flavours of M$ Office, I really wonder how you can expect 100%
> compatibility from different pieces of software.

If MS can't even deliver 100% compatibility, then 100% compatibility
shouldn't be a barrier to you adopting a competitor's software.

{Ad Hominem deleted}

> > I went to the MS Office 2003 Launch Event (free) and got it for free.
> >
> > Since the software was available from MS for free, and you apparently
> missed
> > that opportunity, should you still be entitled to whine? ;)
>
> Are you being plain stupid here or what? Independent of where that event
was
> held, this doesn't mean that one can necessarily attend it. Sorry, but
some
> people have to work instead of wandering around at free events... Anyway,
> most people have to pay for it, so that does entitle to whine if they feel
> like it and whether you like it or not.

My employer allowed me to attend to keep current on new technologies.  So I
got a day out of the office and $800 of free, licensed, unrestricted
software.

I'm generally opposed to whining.  Mostly because so much of it is
misplaced.

> Otherwise, it has nothing to do with my (in)ability to write such a
> software, but rather with the fact that your suggestion (write my own
office
> suite) is plain stupid. Just think about it for a minute and you will see.

I don't know why it's stupid.  I've written my own software before - and
used it on a regular basis.  Sometimes rolling your own is the only
solution.

> Yeah, sure... From what I can tell, M$ doesn't seem to care that much
about
> one's comments... I have sent numerous reports following the crashing of
M$
> applications and I yet have to see anything from them proving me they are
or
> have been doing something about it. So again, you are being plain stupid
or
> simply trolling...

Wow, begging the question and Ad Hominem in once sentence!

MSwish is about new product ideas, not support.  So if you're sending
support requests to the new product ideas mailbox, I think it's pretty
obvious why MS doesn't seem to care.

Conversely, I've sent numerous suggestions for product improvements (many of
which regarding Pocket PC devices, Windows Media Player, and the Office
family of products).  I'd say about 75% of the time something similar is
implemented in the next release.  I can't take all of the credit myself
though since I imagine that hundreds of people are writing in daily with
many of the same ideas.

> Yes, I did realise that (from Milhouse) and that's all you should have
> replied to me, instead of adding lots of crap to your message.

Well, you can ignore the crap if you like.

> Ok, enough said. I have better things to do than replying to more
nonsense.

All of a sudden, eh? ;P

0
n_okla (12)
12/17/2003 3:38:04 PM
"Neb Okla" <n_okla@hotmail.com> wrote in message

*Plonk*

0
someone1 (389)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

Outlook & Entourage

Updating a graph with 2 y axis
Hi, I have a Graph which on 1 axis which has 2 datalines shown as a line. and a 2nd axis which is a combined block. I am trying to add a 3rd item to the 1st axis but cannot get it to show as a line or on the same axis? Garfiled wrote: > Hi, I have a Graph which on 1 axis which has 2 datalines shown as a line. > and a 2nd axis which is a combined block. > I am trying to add a 3rd item to the 1st axis but cannot get it to show as a > line or on the same axis? > Right click on the graph line you want to change. and select "FormatDataSeries", then on the "Axis...

Opening Outlook

Exchange 5.5- need to increase maximum size for received mail
I need to change either the default maximum received email size for all mailboxes or for one user, but would like to know how to do both. Someone is trying to send a large email and it keeps getting bounced. To increase the limit the user can receive open the users mailbox in Exchange Admin, click the Limits tab and increase the Incoming limit. Please note that by default it is set to "No Limit". I am not sure how to change it for everyone. "Jeremy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1f79d01c457cb$487a2ac0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I nee...

gridlines in outlook?

Forward copy of outgoing e-mails to managers
I have a client that is running Exchange 2003. It is a brokerage firm and is bound by strict rules from the SEC and NASD. One of the requirements is that all incoming and outgoing e-mail is recorded and stored. We have this taken care of using journaling and ComplianceVault. Another requirement is that all managers receive a copy of all of the users e-mail. We are using forwarding to accomplish this for incoming e-mail but can't figure out how to also send the managers a copy of their outgoing. Is there anything that I am missing or can I do this? Aztech wrote: > I have a client...

can't create rules in outlook

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

Excel 2003 Page Breaks
I e-mailed a workbook to a collegue that contained 28 worksheets. On my PC, all the vertical page breaks were set so printing was done on one page for each sheet. On his machine the page break shifted to the left such that some columns were on a second page for each sheet. What can be done to preserve the verticle page break setting. This file will be sent daily and we would like to not need to adjust the page breaks. He probably has a different printer and a different printer driver. Not much you can do about that, except work in very safe distance from the margins. Maybe doing the fin...

FYI Office 2003 Updates Now Available
Visit http://office.microsoft.com and click on Check for Updates Word 2003 Update: KB834702 (Finnish) / Word 2003 Update: KB834702 for Multilingual User Interface Pack (English). This update fixes an issue with the user interface for the Finnish version of Word 2003. The OK button is missing from the Table Properties dialogue box. Access 2003 Danish Update: KB834013 (Danish) / Access 2003 Danish Update for Multilingual User Interface Pack: KB834013 (English). This update from Microsoft prevents a potential error. If this error occurs, the three Danish characters �, � and � do not appear cor...